New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Dude, pimp my unicorn

I've got a pony!

So, for an upcoming game, I will be playing an exalted succubus with a vow of poverty, moving into the fiend of possession class after completing the succubus monster class. At 10th level I am planning to take Leadership and acquire a unicorn as a cohort ("I want a pony NOW!").

For this campaign:
    • All Level Adjustments are halved, rounded down.
    • Houserules on the VoP allow me to take any feat in my VoP bonus feat slots (which is how I'm getting Leadership at 10th)

The unicorn's maximum ECL will be my ECL-2. The DM will probably be pretty liberal about letting me choose how it advances. So, playground, how can I pimp my unicorn? I want it to be useful in some way during the game.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-09-22 at 07:33 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dude, pimp my unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    So, for an upcoming game, I am planning to play an exalted succubus with a vow of poverty. Houserules on the VoP allow me to take any feat in my VoP bonus feat slots, and at 10th level I am planning to take leadership and acquire a unicorn as a cohort ("I want a pony NOW!").

The unicorn's ECL will be my ECL-2. So, playground, how can I pimp my unicorn? I want it to be useful in some way during the game.
    So ECL 8 Unicorn?
    Wait... unicorns are ECL 8. So... you can only switch feats/equipment.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Oh my. Forgot to include extensive house rulage. Editing OP now.

The unicorn will be ECL 6, and thus has room for some class levels or advancement hit dice.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-09-22 at 05:24 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

at 10th level I am planning to take leadership and acquire a unicorn as a cohort ("I want a pony NOW!").
    Chaaarlie...

Chaaaaarlieeee...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Question:

How does a sex demon friending a magical creature that will only let female virgins ride it, work?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I actually was considering Vow of Chastity (she'd be the ultimate tease), but meh, I only have so many feat slots and the benefits of that Vow are pretty underwhelming.

So, instead, I took it in a different direction and took Nymph's Kiss, so she has, erm, a recommendation from her nymph girlfriend? Unicorns get along great with fey. And I'm still tossing around taking Talya's vow of nudity feat. It just ruins the succubus' natural talent for disguise and infiltration....

My initial thought was to steampunk up the unicorn. I can totally see it in a Victorian-style leather harness, with some kind of technomagical device on its horn, wearing a monocle. But my DM's head is already pretty close to exploding, so maybe I better not do that.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-09-22 at 07:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

And I'm still tossing around taking Talya's vow of nudity feat. It just ruins the succubus' natural talent for disguise and infiltration....
    Well, I don't know about that, taking that feat will probably distract people from looking at your face better than any disguise...
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    Question:

How does a sex demon friending a magical creature that will only let female virgins ride it, work?
    Kurald actually secretly gave the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Chaaarlie...

Chaaaaarlieeee...
    You just pester the unicorn relentlessly till it gives up and does whatever dubious stuff you tell it to, whatever your existing track record.

9. - Top - End - #9

My initial thought was to steampunk up the unicorn. I can totally see it in a Victorian-style leather harness, with some kind of technomagical device on its horn, wearing a monocle. But my DM's head is already pretty close to exploding, so maybe I better not do that.
    You sir, have given me a new idea for a motivator. Also:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Have it look something like this:

Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Can't see the picture.

Does anyone have optimization advice? I was thinking of having it advance as a crusader or paladin. As a crusader, it could help me out with various White Raven maneuvers, while a pally unicorn with a set of wands strapped to its horns could handle healing and some minor buffing (we don't have any casters in our party). Plus, either of those classes offers armor proficiency, so if one of the other PCs pays for it, it could wear some shiny mithril barding and look extra awesome (and probably live longer).
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-09-22 at 08:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Can't see the picture.

Does anyone have optimization advice? I was thinking of having it advance as a crusader or paladin. As a crusader, it could help me out with various White Raven maneuvers, while a pally unicorn with a set of wands strapped to its horns could handle healing and some minor buffing (we don't have any casters in our party). Plus, either of those classes offers armor proficiency, so if one of the other PCs pays for it, it could wear some shiny mithril barding and look extra awesome (and probably live longer).
    Either you meant crusader with White raven or you are thinking on Warblade not crusader,
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

You can get it way sooner, provided your DM cooperates. Take Wild Cohort, there are no prerequisites so you can have it as early as 1st level.

Grab Exalted Companion (BoED), which allows you to get a Unicorn at 7th level (Level -6), you can take that as early as 2nd level. Technically a Wild Cohort is not an Animal Companion, but they're mechanically similar enough that a nice DM will let this work. Wild Cohort delays that to 10th level, though still at (Level -6), but not to worry.

Take Natural Bond (CV) which gives you (Level +3), available as soon as you get Wild Cohort. Since you can apply your own bonuses and penalties in the most favorable order, and due to the text vs table in the Druid's Animal Companion class feature description, that Unicorn will become 4th level (Level -3) with that feat figured in. Wild Cohort will still delay that to 7th level, but you get a Unicorn at 7th level! Plus it automatically gets all kinds of extra HD and other benefits.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sciencepanda View Post
    Courtesy of your local Kobolds. It's also awesome

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DythTheKobold View Post
    Courtesy of your local Kobolds. It's also awesome
    403 error.

16. - Top - End - #16

Sorry about that. Here is the image I had posted before:

Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign:
    The Secret of Trottleburg IC OOC

Characters:
    Misrahi Laroux of The Times They Are A-Changing
    #14 of Frenzied Entourage
    Lilen Zheng of Trouble in Tashwell
    Wilbur Rustbreath of Starting a Blue Dawn
    Lilen Avatar by Darwin. The rest by me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Seriously guys? Both of those pictures are of pegasi. The original poster wants Unicorns, the horse with the horn on its head? You know the ones.

Spoiler
    Show

Whoops, wrong one...
    Ah, here's an armored unicorn:

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, maybe this is harder than it looks...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Snrrrrrrrk.

Dire Rhino Mount.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

WolfInSheepsClothing

so many fail pictures of unicorns :P

Armored Unicorn! (clearly post-fight)
    Spoiler
    Show

half warforged unicorn
    Spoiler
    Show

Baby Unicorn
    Spoiler
    Show

Unicorn saying "Really?..." with its eyes
    Spoiler
    Show

Genuine real life half unicorn!
    Spoiler
    Show

If D&D can manage half giants and half dragons, it can fit half unicorn kitties

Mecha unicorn
    Spoiler
    Show

My brain likes to think this is a halloween costume "manicorn"
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Dude, you have 2 free levels? Grab 2 levels of Totemist. Have your Unicorn bind Unicorn Horn to her Totem Chakra.

Spoiler
    Show

Yo dawg, I heard you like Unicorns, so we bound Unicorn Horns to your Unicorn so you can gore while you gore.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-09-22 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

More like...
    Spoiler
    Show

As for your character, I just realized a fatal flaw: You intend to go into Fiend of Possession. A Unicorn projects a Magic Circle against Evil, which affects a 10 ft. radius emanation from every side of its space ("Area: 10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature"). This will automatically stop your character from possessing anything within that area, and since it's a Supernatural effect spell resistance won't even apply. In fact, since your character is extraplanar with the evil subtype, you wouldn't even be able to approach within ten feet of the Unicorn.

If you can get it to work despite that, the Unicorn should definitely take VoP as well. I'm pretty sure that if you go the Wild Cohort route its bonus HD from that wouldn't count against its ECL for Leadership, since they're granted by your own ability and added on top of anything else it already had. The bonus HD can be counted after Leadership considerations, as per adding bonuses and penalties in the most beneficial order. Therefore, it can be your Wild Cohort and your Leadership Cohort simultaneously, and get class levels in addition to its bonus HD. I would probably go with Crusader levels for it, though being CG it could take Warlock and Enlightened Spirit (CM). That would eventually grant it flight, along with a host of other useful abilities. Its Eldritch Blast could shoot out of its horn!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Half rounded down, eh? In other ways, if you want to play a LA +0 race, grab a random LA +1 template.

I remember a campaign like that - 'free LA up to +2', so naturally everyone hit it on the nose. Mineral warrior catfolk? Why not!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

...Unicorns with unicorns for unicorns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ffone View Post
    Half rounded down, eh? In other ways, if you want to play a LA +0 race, grab a random LA +1 template.

I remember a campaign like that - 'free LA up to +2', so naturally everyone hit it on the nose. Mineral warrior catfolk? Why not!
    but half of 0 is still 0... not a negative decimal

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    You can get it way sooner, provided your DM cooperates.
    No spare feat slots. I have a full deck with Sacred Vow, VoP, Nymph's Kiss, Mindsight, Improved Succubus Powers (a homebrew feat that gives the 3.5 succy access to the SLAs of the 3.0 succy), and Exalted Succubus (another homebrew that replaces the evil-aligned SLAs and powers with equivalent good-aligned ones).

However...Wild Cohort+Exalted Cohort+Natural Bond could be a useful tactic at higher levels, where the Vow is giving me a lot of bonus feats that I don't really know what to do with. And if the unicorn takes crusader, the bonus HD from WC would give it quick access to higher-level maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    As for your character, I just realized a fatal flaw: You intend to go into Fiend of Possession. A Unicorn projects a Magic Circle against Evil.
    It's not quite that bad. The field only stops summoned evil creatures, and won't eject me from anything I've possessed. It will, however, prevent me from exercising control. Bummer that. Hafta be careful.

In a way, this can be a useful tool, because if anyone is reluctant to bargain with me because I'm a succubus, I can suggest we do the negotiating next to the unicorn. Obviously I must be trustworthy if a unicorn follows me, and clearly the magic circle will prevent any attempt at manipulation, won't it? The poor saps will overlook the fact that I have an outrageous Bluff score and a mind shield.

If you can get it to work despite that, the Unicorn should definitely take VoP as well.
    Nice. I hadn't thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ffone View Post

Exactly. But this isn't going to be a very competitive game, so people are mostly just playing whatever character idea interests them most. I've had this succubus idea rattling around in my head for almost a year, although the inspiration for the unicorn cohort is new.

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Dude, you have 2 free levels? Grab 2 levels of Totemist. Have your Unicorn bind Unicorn Horn to her Totem Chakra.
    My incarnum-fu is non-existent. How well will totemist contribute on a creature that's got 4 monster hit dice, a +2 LA, and is two levels behind the PCs in the group? Is totemist compatible with VoP if the unicorn takes VoP?
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-09-22 at 11:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I was mostly joking, simply because binding Unicorn Horn to your Totem Chakra gives you a gore attack, which is technically redundant with the unicorn's existing gore attack. I just wanted to make a "Yo Dawg" joke.

In further review, however, Incarnate levels wouldn't be bad. Meldshaping actually blends with VoP remarkably well. Normally your chakra binds are fighting with your magic items for control of your body slots. With VoP, you have no items, so ALL of your body slots are free for chakra binding. If your horsy took Airstep Sandles bound to her "Feet" Chakra, she'd gain a perfect fly speed of up to 30', 40' with Improved Soulmeld Capacity, or when her total HD exceed 12. Unfortunately, her Feet Chakra is open until Incantate 4, and she'll only have 2 levels. Melding it would still allow her to fly, but she'd have to end each move on solid ground, making it only really viable for avoiding rough terrain. Hmmmm, what are some good Crown binds? That is the only bind she'd have open. I see Enigma Helm for protection from all Divinations (including True Seeing, I'd guess), and Soulspark Familiar for a neato little friend to hang out with her and keep her company. They are pretty crappy combatants, but neat if you want someone for your horsey friend to talk to when you are out doing "human" things. Lots of soulmelds do cool things when not bound though, like Fellmist Robes, which would give her like, 20% miss chance vs ranged attacks with 2 essentia invested. Thats not half bad, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Aquatic unicorn :D

Spoiler
    Show
    Image failed. It was a narwhale.

Naaarrrrrwhhale

Nnnnnnnnnaaaarrrrrrrwwwwhhhhhhaaaalllleee
    Last edited by Project_Mayhem; 2010-09-23 at 02:51 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Tripod'd.

I like succubi ideas. This one is utterly hilarious.

... You wouldn't happen to remember where that homebrew was from, would you?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

How about giving it magical horseshoes? Horseshoes of Speed will improve it's move speed by 30, or Horseshoes of the Zephyr will allow it to run over water and travel without leaving tracks.

Technically a unicorn isn't an animal or a horse, it's a magical beast and by RAW can't necessarily use these, but it's horse-like enough I'd hope your DM won't get strict on you.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DythTheKobold View Post
    Tripod'd.

I like succubi ideas. This one is utterly hilarious.

... You wouldn't happen to remember where that homebrew was from, would you?
    Which homebrew? If you mean the 9-level succubus monster class or the Improved Succubus Powers and Exalted Succubus feats, I wrote them. I can post them here if you'd like to have a look.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, If I start at ECL10 with an ECL8 unicorn, after halving the LA the unicorn will have 4 magical beast hit dice, a +2 LA, and 2 levels of crusader. It will have IL 4, so it can choose 2nd-level maneuvers right off the bat.

By ECL12 I'll have two feat slots open up, and I can take Wild Cohort + Exalted Companion, but will that actually help? I'll have only 9 HD at that point, and if Wild Cohort gives me a companion as a druid of level -3, and Exalted Companion advances the unicorn as if I'm a druid of level -6, that means my effective druid level is actually 0, and the unicorn receives no benefit. If that's correct, I'd be better off deferring these feats until I'm much higher level, say, ECL 18 when I'll also get two feats, and would advance the unicorn companion with an effective druid level of 6. Am I right?
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-09-23 at 01:00 PM.