New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default (3.5) The worst (serious) homebrew you've seen

Inspired by another thread, what's the worst homebrew you've seen in your time? (either trying to pull of or seen pulled on someone else). I'd like to see as much detail related to the particular homebrew as possible.

I say serious because anyone can make a build with +OVER 9000!!! Everything. But I'd like to see the one's that actually have had some thought put in them--but are nevertheless insane or just pushing the buck too far.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Wow. You must be at least... 5000 years old. Probably even more! ;)

Do you like reading? Then check out my personal site dedicated to my fiction writing! The more interest/comments I get, the more writings I'll put on there! Thanks
    https://sites.google.com/site/writingsofanauthor/

Did you participate in my psyc research? PM me any questions you have and I'll try to answer them!
    Results

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) The worst (serious) homebrew you've seen

This Bard Variant allows you to use Wail of the Banshee at will at 18th level as long as you are using Bardic Music. at lower levels its the same, just with weaker spells, and there are other bad things there.
    Awesome Avvy courtesy of Beholder1995

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Protecar View Post
    Inspired by another thread, what's the worst homebrew you've seen in your time? (either trying to pull of or seen pulled on someone else). I'd like to see as much detail related to the particular homebrew as possible.

I say serious because anyone can make a build with +OVER 9000!!! Everything. But I'd like to see the one's that actually have had some thought put in them--but are nevertheless insane or just pushing the buck too far.

Thoughts?
    Please google "Lightning Warrior" and yes, the author was serious. Lack of a familiar...SO balancing...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I thought Lightning Warrior was a parody?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

@Stone Heart
    I think that class is actually balanced if there are lots of Tier 1s in the group
    You won't kill anything but mooks with wail of the banshee at this level.
    Last edited by Aharon; 2010-09-30 at 02:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I demand a link to Lightning Warrior, for my google-fu is weak indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I demand a link to Lightning Warrior, for my google-fu is weak indeed.
    Here's a quick Google-Fu guide for you to follow in the future.

1. Look for the keywords as a regular google search. Lightning Warrior
    The top few links don't have any information about d&d and Lightning Warrior related material so we'll have to narrow the search. (Note: The bottom link does have the information, but scrolling down forever gets boring.)

2. Look up the same previous keywords but with extra keywords added in to make things more specific.
    Lightning Warrior d&d
    Lightning Warrior 3.5e

By now we have easily found our result. The Lightning Warrior

~

If you can't find what you're looking for after that then there are a few other things you can try.

3. Using parenthesis in a term like "Lightning Warrior" ensures the the search results include the words together as a single phrase.

"Lightning Warrior"

4. By starting the search with 'Site:www.giantip.com' you can look for a term within a single website's listings. In this case it would return results only form the GItp website.

This is a good method for finding out more information and discussion on a topic like the Lightning Warrior

Site:www.giantitp.com lightning warrior

~

TL;DR
    I explained some google-fu and how to find the LIGHTNING WARRIOR
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-09-30 at 03:30 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There is always the more passive aggressive way hunter :P
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lightning+warrior+3.5+D%26D
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post

TL;DR
    I explained some google-fu and how to find the LIGHTNING WARRIOR
    WHAT?! IT DOESN'T EVEN GET 8 SKILL POINTS PER LEVEL!!!!!

Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I once saw a class, which the maker obviously didn`t invest in making, that had proffession (mail delivery) in it`s class skills (the class was written in hebrew, so I won`t bother finding the link).

11. - Top - End - #11

Being an editor for Pathfinder Database, I've seen a lot of really broken content. This one's one of the worst:

http://www.pathfinderdb.com/characte...ses/408-zealot

This is the toned down version, I believe - it used to have a d12 hit die and 6 levels of casting. Plus, with the existence of the Paladin, Cleric, and Fighter, this class has no flavor reason to exist.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    WHAT?! IT DOESN'T EVEN GET 8 SKILL POINTS PER LEVEL!!!!!

I more bothered by the lack of a familiar. How is it meant to meaning contribute to the party with out a familiar? So isn't worth the flavour gained by dropping it
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2010-09-30 at 04:55 AM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rixx View Post
    Being an editor for Pathfinder Database, I've seen a lot of really broken content. This one's one of the worst:

This is the toned down version, I believe - it used to have a d12 hit die and 6 levels of casting. Plus, with the existence of the Paladin, Cleric, and Fighter, this class has no flavor reason to exist.

Okay, maybe it's just me, this has been hugely toned down fro when you first saw ir or Pathfinder is much lower in power than it would appear to be (I play (my variant of) 3.5 myself), but I don't see what's so broken about this.

I'm not sure I see what the problem with this version is (except for Quickened Casting, which is pretty broken, but that is probably Complete Champion's fault for introducing such an idea in the first place). It's not really any more broken than, say, the Rebalanced Paladin class I use (made by Seerow and OneWinged4ngel, who actually knew what they were talking about in 3.5) - or a Tier 1 caster, is it?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

Okay, maybe it's just me, this has been hugely toned down fro when you first saw ir or Pathfinder is much lower in power than it would appear to be (I play (my variant of) 3.5 myself), but I don't see what's so broken about this.

I'm not sure I see what the problem with this version is (except for Quickened Casting, which is pretty broken, but that is probably Complete Champion's fault for introducing such an idea in the first place). It's not really any more broken than, say, the Rebalanced Paladin class I use (made by Seerow and OneWinged4ngel, who actually knew what they were talking about in 3.5) - or a Tier 1 caster, is it?
    Comparing something to a Tier 1 caster isn't really... productive I'd say, consider Tier 1s can do a boatload of things and then some (a fleetload of things?). Comparing it to the Duskblade however, which it seems to have been based off of... it's loads better, considering it gets a lot more spells (and if it used to go up to level 6 spells, even worse). It's not really broken so much as it is just bad. The Divine Strike stuff makes it even worse since you get a free (un)holy weapon all the time at level 3, which gets better and even stacks with the actual (un)holy properties.

Plus, I don't get where the random Will save bonuses come from.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M-Bark View Post
    Comparing something to a Tier 1 caster isn't really... productive I'd say, consider Tier 1s can do a boatload of things and then some (a fleetload of things?).
    When comparing for actual rules use? No, I agree. When comparing for "worst homebrew", then yes, I think you should be comparing it to Tier 1s and Tier 5/6s, and if seeing the worst of homebrew is actually any worse than than the worst of the published materials.

I looked at that zealot and thought that, while it could use a little more tweaking, it would be quite salvageable is I were so inclined (certainly for 3.5 and I didn't think Pathfinder was THAT different). It certainly wouldn't snap a game in half or exascerbate the existing problems much worse than they are now. I'd hardly say it was really that bad. If that's really the worst Rixx has encountered, then the Pathfinder database submitters must be a fairly reasonably concientius crowd, put it that way!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2010-09-30 at 06:32 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Voodoo Doll
    I was in a game once where someone played one of these. It was one of those situations where you want to ask the DM why the character gets XP, since they are less than useless.

Lalomancer
    A friend of mine played one of these for a while. She's a great person, so I could never really tell her how completely stupid the class was.

17. - Top - End - #17

NinjaGuy

I remember a homebrewed race once that was fluffed to live underground, had wings, no darkvision and could cast fireball at will. Some else will have to find it, I'm stuck on my iPhone for 11 more hours.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

CW Samurai.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rixx View Post

A divine Duskblade, a bit stronger than the original. I'd say it'd be high tier 3 in 3.5.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

DBZ warrior... it has been allowed in some games I've played it. It was seriously the dumbest god damned thing I've ever seen.

Edit: Link. DBZ warrior

Distructo Disc: The character throws a sharp disc of pure energy at the target. Make a ranged touch attack with a range of 150 ft. if it hits, the target takes 5d10 damage. This disc also has a vorpal property, and any critical hit with this attack requires the target to make a fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 class level+Wis Modifier) or be sliced in half, dead. This effect works on creatures not normally affected by critical hits, such as undead and constructs, but not on creatures with regeneration. Creatures with regeneration take an additional 3d10 damage, and the attack counts as lethal damage for them. Cost: 10 Ki points.

I mean, the fluff is so dumb and does not fit into a D&D game. Dx
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-09-30 at 07:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I once saw a skill based class(apparently by someone who had never heard of factotum). It was based of rogue. The player justified massive skill bonuses(10 per level, and a stacking +1 bonus to all skills for each level in the class, all skills are class skills) based on the loss of sneak attack.

He then used the argument "well, it needs to do SOMETHING in combat" to justify using those skills as ways to attack. In short, he used skills as attack roll modifiers for a wide variety of attacks, like tripping or disarming. It ended up being terribly, terribly broken, but was actually used in game.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    Watch your tongue while talking about DBZ, young man!

Also, the Lightning Warrior on Myth-Weavers has had his text slightly altered. It now looks like a parody. The original, though, was damn serious.

23. - Top - End - #23

Pathfinder Shaman. Unless it has been updated (didn't reread it)... It is (or was) an absurdly complex class, using its own mechanic, which relies on DM fiat, and is entirely useless at least at level one, if you can even figure out how to use it at all...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DBZ warrior... it has been allowed in some games I've played it. It was seriously the dumbest god damned thing I've ever seen.

Edit: Link. DBZ warrior

Distructo Disc: The character throws a sharp disc of pure energy at the target. Make a ranged touch attack with a range of 150 ft. if it hits, the target takes 5d10 damage. This disc also has a vorpal property, and any critical hit with this attack requires the target to make a fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 class level+Wis Modifier) or be sliced in half, dead. This effect works on creatures not normally affected by critical hits, such as undead and constructs, but not on creatures with regeneration. Creatures with regeneration take an additional 3d10 damage, and the attack counts as lethal damage for them. Cost: 10 Ki points.

Monks can learn to throw their "Ki energy" with a feat, I believe.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

25. - Top - End - #25

Strangely, I have to give my vote to an item.

I just can't forget how bad an idea this was, knowing that this item -already exists- but doesn't have the risk of lighting yourself on fire.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A bazillion years ago, in a land called "AD&D 1st Edition", I was gaming with this kid down the street. He was taking classes to learn Karate at the time, and wanted to play a martial arts type character.

So he homebrewed a 'Karate Class'.

Now of course, as any martial arts enthusiast will tell you, a diciple of Karate can kill you with a blow from either arm, or a kick from either leg. Therefore, the 'Karate' class would have four attacks per round. (Assuming you're playing a race that has the usual four limbs - I guess a thri-kreen would get more.)

A sword blow can be lethal. A Karate blow can be lethal. Therefore, a Karate blow is equal to a sword blow. And thus the Karate class starts with four attacks per round, each doing 1d8 plus strength bonus, at 1st level. Obviously, that would improve over time, as the Karate character advanced in levels.

Mind you - the 'Monk' class already existed, complete with it's one attack per round doing 1d4 damage at 1st level. But the kid didn't want to play some monastic dude who just reads clerical scriptures and never actually trained at combat. *Facepalm*

I guess the Karate character wouldn't get a familiar either, so it must have been balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

Well, also 2nd Ed.

I did that homebrew, and it was based on the Valheru. It got the ability "Valheru can survive comets or avalanches falling on them" at 5th level.
    I don't remember the details, but I think 10th was a dragon mount and 15th immunity to elements.
    Oh, and it got exponentially increasing boni to its stats (like +2 at 2nd level, +4 at 4th, +16 at 6th, and so on), breaking the normal 2nd ed limit of 25.

The DM allowed it.

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Watch your tongue while talking about DBZ, young man!

Also, the Lightning Warrior on Myth-Weavers has had his text slightly altered. It now looks like a parody. The original, though, was damn serious.
    I am a self-proclaimed DBZ hater. Even if it's not DBZ related, it just has dumb abilities for D&D games.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Monks can learn to throw their "Ki energy" with a feat, I believe.
    Yes, but it's a rare occurrence. Especially when we see a homebrew race from Final Fantasy playing a homebrew DBZ class (I hate FF and DBZ with every inch of my soul, but they still just seem stupid of their own merits). These types of dumb and/or overpowered homebrew were common in this game.
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2010-09-30 at 09:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

A lot of things don't fit in standard DnD games. Personally, I've seen it playtested in one of my games and it was interesting - the player didn't have much fun though because the other player (there were two) was playing an overpowered class compared to his.

And you forget three big things that DnD itself recommends: refluffing, refluffing and refluffing.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

These types of dumb and/or overpowered homebrew were common in this game.
    This just a flavour thing, then. Looks like you were playing in the wrong group.