New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question What makes a good campaign?

So I've been wondering lately - what makes a good campaign.
    If you were to break a campaign down into various pieces - say to allow multiple people to work on it at once, or to allow for small changes to give replay value, whatever - which ones would you say are the most important?

For example:
    Campaign One: The Campaigning
    Setting: Generic
    Genre: High Fantasy
    Adventure Hook: Mysterious wizard comes asking for help
    Tone: Mildly Serious
    Scope: Teh Epicz - Lvl1 through 20+
    Hack n Slash: Present
    RP: Present
    Puzzles: Lite
    Fleshed out NPCs: A few important ones, but Innkeeper 334 looks a lot like Blacksmith 519.

Campaign Two: Eclectic Bungalow (wait, that's not right...)
    Setting: World made out of cheese
    Genre: Private Investigators
    Adventure Hook: Someone stole the mayor's rubber chicken!
    Tone: Silly
    Scope: Misanthropic adventures in your hometown (low level)
    H&S: Not so much
    RP: You betcha
    Puzzles: Sure, but they all get set on fire.
    NPCs:

And so on.
    In short, think of your favourite campaign you've played in - why was it your favourite?

Edit: To be clear: Which factors are most important (and examples as to why would be nice plzkthxbai)
    Last edited by Rainbow Servant; 2010-10-01 at 06:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What makes a good campaign?

I think the most important aspect of any campaign world is that it be robust enough that you can accommodate adventures that the party WANTS to have (in character and as players)- give them a chance to have their own ambitions, goals, etc. and to have fun along the way. This idea is geared toward campaigns that span multiple adventures as well as multiple sessions.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The best campaign is one that I can leave my mark upon. I don't care how detailed or well crafted it is, if I can take two completely different characters through it and they have the same experience, the campaign is not one I'm interested in playing. I want a world that reacts in a unique way to the characters that are put in it.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    The best campaign is one that I can leave my mark upon. I don't care how detailed or well crafted it is, if I can take two completely different characters through it and they have the same experience, the campaign is not one I'm interested in playing. I want a world that reacts in a unique way to the characters that are put in it.
    This. So much this. I've also heard it said that a good roleplaying experience is a series of interesting choices. Choosing how you will affect the world is huge.

Players always tell stories about that one time, their character was worshipped as a god, or unleashed x, etc. Interesting effects on the world are one of the things that easily translate as a story without requiring system knowledge, and is often actually interesting and memoriable. Much more so than the guy who tells you how awesome is character was and how much xp he had.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Another vote for this. The campaign of mine that my players really enjoyed was the one where they became a duke, changed the course of a war, saved the world from illithid invasion (the actual main quest), started a wizarding academy, and raised a rust dragon to be good.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'm essentially agreeing with the above. Being given meaningful choices that make a difference in the campaign world is what makes it memorable.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say that a good DM is critical.

As the above have pointed out, the story is as much about the characters as it is about the plot. I'd say that's more on the head of the DM than of the campaign world--if the world is too restrictive by nature to allow for interesting characters to interact in interesting ways with the world, he can always alter it.

Depending on the kind of campaign, good NPCs are important as well. If you want players to be immersed, you need to provide realistic people. An unrealistic world is not really too much of a barrier to immersion--an RPG with a completely realistic world would be pretty boring--but people are people regardless of if they're the Spring Maiden of a Changeling Court or what-have-you. If you're less worried about immersion interesting NPCs are all you need, but otherwise you need interesting and well-fleshed out NPCs.

I'd say those are, for me, the two most important aspects of a campaign/campaign world, and both of them are, in turn, aspects of a good DM.

That said, it's perfectly possible to have fun in a campaign that doesn't fit those standards, although I'd say it's much harder if your characters can't leave a lasting impact on the world, or at least on their little corner of it.

Tl;dr: What the above said, +a good DM and good NPCs.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

A campaign where the players have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I like deep involving story campaigns,

Campaign One: Borbarads return
    Setting: Aventurien (dark eye) mashed together with d&d 3.5 (yes it works quite good)
    Genre: mid/high Fantasy
    Adventure Hook: prophecy
    Tone: Serious++
    Scope: Lvl1 through 20+
    Hack n Slash: rarely
    RP: lots
    Puzzles: lots
    Fleshed out NPCs: I think well above 40 books full of npcs, cities etc...
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2010-10-01 at 01:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    A campaign where the players have fun.
    A campaign where the players AND the DM have fun, and refer back to it fondly for years to come.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

This, with the additional condition that it has to be the style of campaign that both players and referee are happy playing. If I don't want to play a super-political game of Vampire:tM, it doesn't matter how much of a mark I could make doing so.

So, two qualities:
    1) Player agency
    2) Overlap of player and referee desired styles
    are critical.