New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default 1001 ways to keep your GM happy

1001 ways-threads seem to be popular at the moment and I think one of the most important things to know how to do, as a player, is how to keep a happy GM.

The GM is a finite resource and spends loads of his spare time planning things for the group, if he is not happy, it could turn bad for the entire group.

1. If the game is run at the GMs house, be sure that you and hopefully other players stay and help clean after the session, actually, stay and clean even if the host is not the GM!

2. If you and the other players are discussing a subject that bores the GM, consider if it could be handled by txt, email or forums between sessions instead.

3. Offer some snacks to the GM, if not to the entire table.

4. Come prepared, have your sheets, dice, pen and paper ready for a session and be excited: Nothing can make a GM unhappy as a group of players who does not seem excited when they come to a session.

5. Offer to help keep track of things: No reason why the GM has to be the one keeping track of initiative every time, can take a load of him.

6. Always keep track of your own spells unless some player keeps track of all spells: This is mostly relevant in combat situations, where lot of buff spells should be in effect for a short duration.

7. However much you like it, avoid stacking dice at the table. It makes you seem bored and disinterested in what is happening and will be interpreted by the GM as a sign of displeasement with his work, stop doing it

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 1001 ways to keep your GM happy

8. Bring yummy noms.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

9. Put away the cell phone and other electronic devices you're not actively using for the game. It doesn't matter how well you think you multitask, it distracts you and everyone else at the table, and makes you come off as disinterested in the game.

10. Make at least a passing effort to work with the GM and other players to forward an actual plot, even if it's not the one the GM might have originally considered. Doing otherwise forces combat in unlikely situations so the GM can keep the game moving and maintain player focus.
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2010-10-14 at 11:06 AM. Reason: ninjas
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

11. During character creation, take what the DM will think into account, and don't insist on points he already banned.
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

12. Give constructive criticism, but understand that the game is for all the players not just you to spotlight how awesome your new character is

13. 8 cannot be emphasized enough.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

14. Offer to take some of the work off his/her hands, like keeping track of initiative order in large combats.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2010-10-14 at 11:16 AM.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

15. If the GM does make a mistake, correct him politely and quietly, don't make a big fuss out of it.

16. Always be open to application of Rule 0, even if it contradicts RAW.

17. Respect the GM's decisions, even if they interfere with something you really want to do.

18. Let the GM settle issues himself; don't chime in with "helpful" rules advice, or cite your personal experience. You may think you're lending a hand, but it comes off as undermining his authority.

19. If there's a new player who's struggling with something, give them a hand instead of making the GM explain everything to them.
    Last edited by Tira-chan; 2010-10-14 at 11:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

0. Stay on the railroad tracks! ()

Seriously, though:

20. Remember that the GM is not "the enemy", even though (s)he is handling the enemies' actions.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I personally think this has its place near the top (if not THE top) of every list. ever.

DON'T BE STUPID
    this means do NOT smite 'the evil penny' found amidst the treasure in the first dungeon crawl.... especially you mister gnome paladin...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

21. Think about what you will do when your initiative comes up, and don't respond to 'its your turn, what do you do?' with 'Oh yeah? Um, let me think . . .'

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

22. Don't make a character purposely to make the Dm's head hurt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

23: When the DM pulls out an adventure path entitled "the Mountains of Mourning", with several pages of additional notes to help him navigate through the epic adventure, that pits the heroic party against the political and megalomanical machinations of the evil Lord HackBastard and his Mourning Hordes to save the world, world supplements for the region around the mountains, has had you use the Mountains of Mourning player's guide to generate your characters background and so on, it is generally considered poor form for the first words out of your mouth upon starting the game to be "these mountains sound boring, let's blow this place and go to the Forest of Fiddlesticks (on the other side of the world) and dig for treasure and rob merchants and stuff!"

23a: It is, however, considered justifiable homicide, once someone has finally dislodged the blood-and-brain spattered DMG from the interior recess of your empty skull.

24: Fumble often, critical rarely. All DMs like to watch the PCs blunder about and do themselves a mischief.

25: Learn to translate DM-speak properly; "Are you really?" said in that particularly flat, disbeliving tone does not in fact mean the DM is flabberghasted by your awesomeness, but that you are about to do something so mind-splinteringly stupid, the mindless creatures are going "that guy's an idiot" and that you are about three seconds from death. (Yours or your character's, possibly both.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2010-10-14 at 01:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

26: keep track of all your various bonuses, buffed, unbuffed, half-buffed... don't sit there adding up everything every turn
    Last edited by aquaticrna; 2010-10-14 at 02:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

27. Pay attention to the battle and what's going on with each character.

28. Don't even think about texting or using your phone in any way while the game is on.

29. DMs can get sidetracked too. If yours is, then start doing stuff in-game to get their attention.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

30. It is generally considered in poor taste to break out the Magic cards any time the camera isn't focused on you.
    Last edited by Drakevarg; 2010-10-14 at 02:07 PM.
    If asked the question "how can I do this within this system?" answering with "use a different system" is never a helpful or appreciated answer.

ENBY

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

31. If you plan on using a spell or ability for which you have not memorised the rules get the appropriate book and read through before your turn, if you can still pay attention to other player's actions whilst doing so it is much appreciated.

32. If you are bored inform the DM and make sure you say why. No one wants their time wasted doing something boring, the fewer times it happens the better.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

33. At least pretend to have an interest in the plot.

34. Tell the GM what you enjoyed about a game, not just hated. That way, the GM feels good and odds are, that thing you enjoyed will happen again some time.
    I wrote a cyberpunk book you can read for free right here: http://www.glitchlogs.com/
    Enjoy! :)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

35. Don't argue with the DM. State your case succinctly, but if you are still denied a favorable ruling, accept it and move on.

36. Never make the DM repeat himself, especially when he's giving a big speech as the BBEG, or divulging important plot information. The words "I'm sorry. Say that again. I wasn't paying attention." makes DMs angry. An angry DM is an evil DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by arrowhen View Post
    The four essential party roles are: Bad Ideas, Smartass Comments, Rules Minutiae, and Snacks. As long as those are covered, they can play whatever the heck theu want.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MightyTim View Post
    36. Never make the DM repeat himself, especially when he's giving a big speech as the BBEG, or divulging important plot information. The words "I'm sorry. Say that again. I wasn't paying attention." makes DMs angry. An angry DM is an evil DM.
    36a. An evil DM can quickly turn into an EVIL DM.

37. If the DM gives you plot armor, accept it gracefully. Don't wave it in the other players faces.

38. What the DM giveth, the DM can (and probably will) taketh away.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

39. Don't quote Monty Python (at least in my experience)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    38. What the DM giveth, the DM can (and probably will) taketh away.
    38a. Do not question what the DM giveth; he may giveth an explosive small print as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I wish i knew how to make this sound even better. But seriously, how can someone make it any better than HYDRALISK WITH SHADES?!
    [14:30] [RSO] DeathsHands (deathshands5): I'm good as is. Moral anchor for the party.
    [14:30] [RSO] DeathsHands (deathshands5): Sure, he could be insightful, but I was distracted by the demon ass and forgot the rest of my sentence.
    [14:31] [RSO] Arkalark (arkanepriest): Our moral anchor got caught in the demonic depths, if you know what I mean.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    39. Don't quote Monty Python (at least in my experience)
    39a. Feel free to quote lesser known funny movies/shows/books though. Some of us may not have heard it yet.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

40. Don't get mad if your DM says any semi-polite variation of the phrase: "I'm sorry, you can't do that." or "It doesn't work that way."
    41. RAW only applies when the DM says it does.
    41a. If the DM says nothing to the contrary, assume RAW.
    42.The DMPC is probably there for a reason.
    43. A bored DM quickly looks for ways to amuse himself. Your characters are the nearest toys.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the line between genius and madness is so thin...

Then why do so few in this day and age toe said line?

Thanks to Bongos for the v-13 avvie!

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

44. If the DM does something to mess up what you did/planned to do, don't swear at them and don't call them names. Come up with a new idea instead.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaragosKitsune View Post
    41a. If the DM says nothing to the contrary, assume RAW.
    I feel inclined to disagree, simply due to the brokenness of RAW. If the DM doesn't say, "No Pun-Pun," then I should assume that I can go ahead and play it? Pun-Pun is all RAW. (I dislike using Pun-Pun as an example, but it's the most obvious one.)

26. - Top - End - #26

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DaragosKitsune View Post
    43. A bored DM quickly looks for ways to amuse himself. Your characters are the nearest toys.
    So much win

45: Roleplay, don't sit like an idiot waiting for combat rounds only, or waiting for the DM to drag you by the hair towards some place where something will happen.

46: As about things the NPCs find strange or fascinating, it's usually something interesting for your characters as well.

47: Killing NPCs is fun for you.

48: Sending avengers after your party is fun for the DM

27. - Top - End - #27
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I feel inclined to disagree, simply due to the brokenness of RAW. If the DM doesn't say, "No Pun-Pun," then I should assume that I can go ahead and play it? Pun-Pun is all RAW. (I dislike using Pun-Pun as an example, but it's the most obvious one.)
    I think if the rest of the guidelines are adhered to, Pun-Pun won't occur anyway. Which leads to:

49. Don't try to "break the game" unless the GM specifically tells you to try.

50. If you ignore #49, expect to see your own tricks (and more!) returned to you. GMs can read the CharOp boards too, you know.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    I think if the rest of the guidelines are adhered to, Pun-Pun won't occur anyway. Which leads to:

49. Don't try to "break the game" unless the GM specifically tells you to try.

50. If you ignore #49, expect to see your own tricks (and more!) returned to you. GMs can read the CharOp boards too, you know.
    On that note:

51. Chek the optimization level of the group before you make a character. A High optimization character in a low optimization group isn't fun for anybody. The opposite is also true.

29. - Top - End - #29

52. Keep your DM's coffee cup (or other beverage of choice container) full. This is rule #1 at our table.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

53. If your DM approves a character that uses a rule system (s)he's unfamiliar with (incarnum, binding, etc), don't expect them to trust everything you do with it. Bring spreadsheets and detailed descriptions (not just the relevant rulebook) so they know what your character can and can't do.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2010-10-15 at 02:05 PM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.