New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default MAGIC MITHILL[Essentials]

Hey everybody, I'm currently DMing a group with a player who plays a Wizard, but only uses Magic Missile. He doesn't move(even when I have monsters that attack him) and to be frank, it's kinda boring. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could encourage(NOT force) him to use his other spells?
    The not-so-secret identity of Nat1Advice.
    I also write more serious 5e content on my blog, TBM Games.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MAGIC MITHILL[Essentials]

Have you tried asking him why he only uses Magic Missile?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

It's because it never misses.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have him train under another Wizard, who tells him how to use his spells effectively?

Tell him out of character, that he will have to use other spells if he wants to contribute properly?

Have opponents show him how spells can be used.

Give him a scenario where Magic Missile cannot be used.

Etc etc.
    English is a second language etc etc.

5. - Top - End - #5

If this is not low-level, you could try throwing a creature with Spell Resistance at the party depending on their level. I suspect your Wizard may be more interested in other options if his primary one is failing 50% of the time.

If it is low-level then how is the Wizard surviving being attacked with only 6-20 HP?

Try creating an environment where he doesn't have LoS to the enemies (terrain, walls, etc. Kobolds running through their little tunnels could work).

Creature situations that would be well handled by some of the Wizard's utility spells. Don't have a rogue? Toss him a locked door and "remind" him to cast Knock (if he knows it/has it prepared) or note that he could use Knock (if he doesn't).

If your PCs are high enough level to have any reputation at all, have the next big boss they face either be a caster with Shield up (negating MMs) or have him be wearing a Brooch of Shielding. The first is an excellent defensive spell for casters anyway, and the second is something any big bad would have if he thought there was a MM-wizard gunning for him.

Finally, have the party face a more versatile wizard (maybe with Shield up?) to show thew player a little bit of what the Wizard is really capable of. It's possible the player doesn't realize how many fun things Wizard spells can do.

EDIT: Also, point out how reliable touch attacks are, how much more damage an Orb of Acid, Scorching Ray, or Combust spell is, and how the implied damage he can create (e.g. by casting Grease, allowing the rogue to get multiple Sneak Attacks on the balancing characters) can far surpass the 1d4+1+(1d4+1)/2 levels over 1 damage the magic missile does.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Alternatively, introduce him to metamagic and force missile mage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

What level is said wizard? I'll assume level 1: Magic Missile only does 7 damage at best. Look up some enemies with relatively-weak defenses but high HP. Maybe he'll realize MM isn't always the best choice when he's chipping away at something with (for example) 57 HP.
    Last edited by JRKlein; 2010-10-23 at 04:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf View Post
    Have him train under another Wizard, who tells him how to use his spells effectively?
    Connor's idea of an effective spell is to cast Magic Missile. Over and over and over. I pray he doesn't find out about the Wizard's Fury power.

Tell him out of character, that he will have to use other spells if he wants to contribute properly?
    Contributing properly is the least of Connor's concerns, and generally that's alright. This is the single thing that bugs me.

Have opponents show him how spells can be used.
    The party just fought Malareth(the wizard from the starter set's adventure) and brutally slaughtered him. The fighter then jumped on him while wearing full plate armor to "Make sure the necromancer stays dead."

Give him a scenario where Magic Missile cannot be used.
    I've considered this, but I'm at a loss for deciding how such a scenario would come to be.

Connor's playing a level 2 wizard, but has thus far managed to survive by using Magic Missile alone. (And occasionally fleeing from goblins or kobolds that jab him with spears.) He's had two near-death experiences and they have yet to seem to shake him.
    Last edited by Christopher K.; 2010-10-23 at 04:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You could put a big group of minions together, or introduce a monster with resistance to Force damage. You can also trap the floors in a way that encourages movement (i.e. a blaster trap that gets an attack whenever a player ends his turn without moving). You can also use Lurkers, who have that nasty tendency to not be visible. Hiding prevents Magic Missile from doing much of anything unless you know where the target is hiding (no, firing Magic Missile at the darkness does not work).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

For those of you who haven't noticed, the OP is referring to a 4e game.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Enemies with the ability to shift, allowing them to get behind cover negating MM... or, on a similar note, area effects that can be cast from covered areas to hit the wizard while preventing MM from being used.

Enemies with large hit points, but weak defenses.

Enemies which do massive damage, but are relatively easy to control.

Large swarms of enemies (minions might work well for this).

What powers *does* he have?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. View Post
    Then just show him the math. One of his other at-wills is probably more damaging on average.

Also, ask him what type of control he's using. If he looks confused, say that since he's a controller, he's controlling the enemies' actions/choices, right? So what is he doing about that?

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakkan View Post
    If this is not low-level, you could try throwing a creature with Spell Resistance at the party depending on their level. I suspect your Wizard may be more interested in other options if his primary one is failing 50% of the time.

If it is low-level then how is the Wizard surviving being attacked with only 6-20 HP?

Try creating an environment where he doesn't have LoS to the enemies (terrain, walls, etc. Kobolds running through their little tunnels could work).

Creature situations that would be well handled by some of the Wizard's utility spells. Don't have a rogue? Toss him a locked door and "remind" him to cast Knock (if he knows it/has it prepared) or note that he could use Knock (if he doesn't).

If your PCs are high enough level to have any reputation at all, have the next big boss they face either be a caster with Shield up (negating MMs) or have him be wearing a Brooch of Shielding. The first is an excellent defensive spell for casters anyway, and the second is something any big bad would have if he thought there was a MM-wizard gunning for him.

Finally, have the party face a more versatile wizard (maybe with Shield up?) to show thew player a little bit of what the Wizard is really capable of. It's possible the player doesn't realize how many fun things Wizard spells can do.

EDIT: Also, point out how reliable touch attacks are, how much more damage an Orb of Acid, Scorching Ray, or Combust spell is, and how the implied damage he can create (e.g. by casting Grease, allowing the rogue to get multiple Sneak Attacks on the balancing characters) can far surpass the 1d4+1+(1d4+1)/2 levels over 1 damage the magic missile does.
    Psst: fourth edition.

Essentials. It's right there in the thread title, dude.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bakkan View Post

I know that none of this is remotely related to 4e, and I don't even play 4e.

That would be decent advice in 3.5 though, and I'm sure some of it translates relatively well...
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Use experience.

Let him continue doing it. He'll eventually see how little of an effect he has... Or his character will die.

Also, point out to him that he can cast Magic Missile and move on the same turn.

At least his turns are faster, since there's no decision-making.

Definitely point out to him the Wizard's Fury daily power and any powers that use non-standard actions, so the rest of the party doesn't get completely screwed over as one of their players doesn't increase in power.

I think there's an item that lets you recharge a low level Daily power. That's a good idea for him if you can find it.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-10-23 at 04:47 PM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    That would be decent advice in 3.5 though, and I'm sure some of it translates relatively well...
    The Brooch of Shielding, for example, does grant Resist Force as its property in 4e. It's not total immunity to Magic Missile, but a Brute with it on could shrug off dozens of them while smashing the poor wizard across the room with his battleaxe or greatclub.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2010-10-23 at 04:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

First things first. How much 3e experience does this guy have, and has he made a point of comparing editions? I've seen enough people make protest characters and come into things with a bad mood, and there's not much you can do when someone wants to dislike the game.

Second, if this isn't an essentials-only game, he sounds like he's playing his wizard as a striker. A very popular, if suboptimal, style for people coming in off earlier editions. My usual response to this is to file the serial numbers off an actual striker and rename it as some other type of wizard. The player gets their concept, plus they get mechanics that work with what they want to do.

Finally, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't essentials make a big deal about giving wizard powers half damage on a miss? It won't fix things, but if he knows that he's guaranteed to equal or exceed his MM effects with other powers, he might use them more freely. Alternately, give him a master's wand of magic missile, interpret the effect liberally, and hope that the push effect gives him a taste of what controlling is really about.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Psst: fourth edition.

Essentials. It's right there in the thread title, dude.
    Yeah, I noticed that in his next post after I posted. I don't know what Essentials is, hence the confusion.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Force Missile Mage indeed sounds perfect for this character.

EDIT: Right after posting, I notice it's 4E. No such luck then!
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2010-10-23 at 06:47 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    It's D&D Essentials.

Edit: doubly swordsage'd
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-10-23 at 07:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Minions are your friends here. The longer it takes to wipe them out, the more dangerous they can be. Higher level minions make the point even better.

If your wizard player has a sweet tooth, using wrapped candies as minion counters may also help. The player that drops the minion gets the candy. As this favours the wizard heavily, you might want to give similar awards to other players every time they make good use of their abilities.

This only helps with spells affecting more than one target, but that's a good place to start. You might be able to demonstrate the rest through other players employing terrain features that impede enemies without doing damage. Skirmishers, such as the kobold quickblade, often do more damage when they're free to move about. Effects that slow or immobilize them, such a simple grab, diminish that threat. Emphasize how much such effects help against such foes. It will eventually sink in that several spells offer those effects or can guide enemies toward limiting terrain.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, here's an idea: have an enemy controller with very similar powers use them well. See if he catches on.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, if this is 4th edition then isn't Magic Missile just a regular at-will power that targets reflex? 4th edition Magic missile isn't auto-hit, it doesn't even fire off multiple missiles as you get higher in level, it just has a longer range then the other wizard at-wills. He should be firing off scorching burst or ray of frost or cloud of daggers or something.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    Wait, if this is 4th edition then isn't Magic Missile just a regular at-will power that targets reflex? 4th edition Magic missile isn't auto-hit, it doesn't even fire off multiple missiles as you get higher in level, it just has a longer range then the other wizard at-wills. He should be firing off scorching burst or ray of frost or cloud of daggers or something.
    That matter was errated(pdf) in July 2010, it's an auto hit now.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

25. - Top - End - #25

If you can find the old magic missile, you could change it back to that to encourage him to use other powers. I mean, in my opinion, autohit aside, I liked old magic missile a little more.

Edit: Lol, "if you can find", I'm acting like they came in and re-wrote the PHB while we slept
    Last edited by WitchSlayer; 2010-10-24 at 04:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hey everybody, I'm currently DMing a group with a player who plays a Wizard, but only uses Magic Missile. He doesn't move(even when I have monsters that attack him) and to be frank, it's kinda boring. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could encourage(NOT force) him to use his other spells?
    Show him other spells that never miss, 4.4 has several of those. Actually, so does the PHB1, in the form of Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud, and Wall of Fire.

Alternatively, put a group of monsters near a cliff. Point out repeatedly that oh look, he can use Beguiling Strands (he did take Beguiling Strands, I hope?) to push all of them over the cliff, killing them instantly. Point out that killing something is better than dealing 8 damage, and that if you target three monsters with a 60% hit chance, you are practically guaranteed to hit something, and that you'll have three chances to roll a Critical. We all like Criticals, right? Add some monsters that explode when critted (all zombies, basically).

(edit) another suggestion: use swarms, and point out repeatedly how area effect spells deal +5 damage to swarms, and how single-target spells deal half damage.

(edit) yet another suggestion: have an enemy Dominate him, and then force him to use his better powers against the party. Then have one of the players exclaim "dude, why don't you ever do that to our enemies?" Magic Missile is pretty much the weakest wizard at-will in the book, so anything else he has is going to be better.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2010-10-24 at 04:56 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

it never kills either
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm going to agree with the plan of having someone else Dominate him and assault the party with his better powers.

Alternatively: You're the GM. Invent monsters that resist magic missile specifically, or better - reflect it.

What's the situation in the game, is there a big bad they can blame that on, or are they just doing a crawl?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    yet another suggestion: have an enemy Dominate him, and then force him to use his better powers against the party.
    This could work, but this could also backfire horribly. Personally, I don't think I'd be very open to any advice after the GM has essentially taken my sheet away and said "here, let me show how it's done", and then left me holding the RP what-the-hell-dude bag to boot.

For the same effort, you could simply bring out an evil twin/magical clone/doppelgänger of the character (or just an enemy wizard with the exact same list of spells) and have him wipe the floor with the party while the wizard tries to pewpewpew him to death.

If you want to engage in some psychological warfare, make the double look totally awesome while he's doing it. Stack the terrain in his favour, plan for every occasion, drop the other party members in snake pits and so on. Then, after a few rounds of making fools of the party, make him get overconfident and leave himself open for some of his own medicine. If Connor still prefers to fire magic missiles after a few of such opportunities, let the baddie get away, laughing all the way into the sunset.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    (edit) yet another suggestion: have an enemy Dominate him, and then force him to use his better powers against the party. Then have one of the players exclaim "dude, why don't you ever do that to our enemies?" Magic Missile is pretty much the weakest wizard at-will in the book, so anything else he has is going to be better.
    In 4e, doesn't dominate only let you use at-will powers, to avoid blowing the player's dailies on others? I suppose you could fudge it past just to go 'see! this is what you could be doing', but if dominate lets you do that, I must have mis-read something, and I've been letting my players off easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    For the same effort, you could simply bring out an evil twin/magical clone/doppelgänger of the character (or just an enemy wizard with the exact same list of spells) and have him wipe the floor with the party while the wizard tries to pewpewpew him to death.
    this would work, too. Just make sure there's enough backup so the strikers dont obliterate it immediately.
    Last edited by ninja_penguin; 2010-10-24 at 09:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]