New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5] How do I become immune to subdual damage?

I'm building a bard and i plan on using Words of Creation from the BoED. Words of Creation does a significant amount of subdual damage (at least at low levels) and I'd like to be able to not have to worry about it. My google-fu has failed me, so I'm asking the playground.

preferably without an undead/construct template, but if that's what it takes...

all sources are allowed, in case it matters.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-10-24 at 06:18 AM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: [3.5] How do I become immune to subdual damage?

Trollblood feat makes everything but fire and acid non-lethal to you. which would synergize well with your method of becoming immune to it.

The emerald legion has some musing on that vein, IIRC.

Warforged and 2 levels in warforged juggernaut (probably counterproductive to what you're trying for though) gives immunity to nonlethal. Warforged and the feat Improved Resiliency [Warforged] (RoE p119) grants immunity to nonlethal damage. It also forbids fast-healing and regeneration from spells or innately. So you'd be reliable on other forms of out of combat healing other than a wand of lesser vigor, for instance. (found a bit of conversation here)

An added benefit of being warforged bard: can play a lyre of building for like, forever.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-10-24 at 06:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3

I'm not looking for a way to become immune to damage all-together; that could easily be done with a half-black dragon, half-vampire, war troll. I'm just interested in actually becoming immune to subdual damage while still having a playable character at low levels.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-10-24 at 06:22 AM.

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gheden (DR313 p 63) and Woodling(maybe) (MM3 p 198) are two templates, though Gheden is a -4 cha with an LA of 1 and Woodling is an LA +3 template.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-10-24 at 06:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #5

hmm, those could work. I'll look them up, thanks.

I have salty tastes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Favor of the Martyr (SpC 89), a Paladin 4 spell, makes you immune to nonlethal (and a great list of other things too).
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

You would need a form of regeneration, I believe; what class and level are you? You could shapechange/polymorph into a planetar.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-10-25 at 06:11 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JonestheSpy View Post
    {Scrubbed}
    Uh, what? Someone comes to ask about optimizing a concept and you take this opportunity to stand on a soapbox and decry the optimization? As I recall, the OP didn't ask for opinions on optimization as a whole, but for advice on how to optimize their character.

If you don't like optimization, gee, I dunno, start your own damn thread crusading against it instead of insulting someone for requesting assistance from their fellow players. Christ.

To the OP: I can't add anything other players haven't already, but Trollblood is the best option, as neither Gheden nor Woodling are worth the LA. Best of luck to you, though.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-10-25 at 06:12 AM.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

10. - Top - End - #10

I like Warforged with Improved Resiliency, kind of awesome to see a construct who knows words of creation :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from the stuff already mentioned above:

1) Ferocity: This provides indirect immunity, in that even if enough non-lethal damage accures to knock you out, you can still carry on fighting as normal. Fortunately for you, there is a level 1 Bard spell that lasts minute/level and provides this ability (Beastland Ferocity, SpC pg 25). Also availble as a Geomancer Class Feature, through Lycanthropy (i.e. Were-Boar).

2) Construct Essence (RoE pg 184): Spell series that affects Warforged only, and doesn't have the fast healing block that Improved Resiliency has. The Lesser version on level 2 is good enough for providing the sublethal immunity you desire. Although the level 5 version provides a really hefty immunity list, that is certainly worthwhile if you can grab it. A possibility to consider if you decide to become a Sublime Chord.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Aside from the stuff already mentioned above:

1) Ferocity: This provides indirect immunity, in that even if enough non-lethal damage accures to knock you out, you can still carry on fighting as normal. Fortunately for you, there is a level 1 Bard spell that lasts minute/level and provides this ability (Beastland Ferocity, SpC pg 25). Also availble as a Geomancer Class Feature, through Lycanthropy (i.e. Were-Boar).
    this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks a lot.

Thanks for the other suggestions posted by all of you helpful people as well.

I have salty tastes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Go divine bard and take levels in the Bone Knight prestige class from Five Nations (eberron campaign setting).

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGuy

It might be a bit pricey for you at low levels, but the Talisman of Undying Fortitude from the MiC gives you undead qualities for rounds/day. I think it's 8k gold pieces.