New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved

So, does anyone else play this? I don't know anyone else who's even heard of it. Personally, I think the races are interesting and the classes fun to play, and the setting is intriguing as well. So yeah, I enjoy it.

Also, if there's already been a thread about this, feel free to reprimand me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved

I have a bunch of Arcana Unearthed and a little Arcana Evolved stuff, but haven't played a dedicated game of it. We do use some of it from time to time in our DnD games, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I have Arcana Unearthed, not Evolved. Honestly, I use it more as an idea mine than anything else. I didn't like the aesthetic much personally. It's decent work though and there's some good stuff in there.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

There really isnt and I thought I was the only one with this book also. And yes it does balance things better but I think it goes a little too far on ressurrection. But then again I am not in the "level 1 to 20 no deaths" camp.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

While I've never actually played it before I do have it and have read over the classes and so on, and I must say I like it. I'm not sure if it does anything to help balance things out or not, but I find it interesting none the less. if I had to pick one thing I don't like, it would have to be the races really. Probably because for the most part they just seem rather meh. Too many creature-human hybrid types for my liking really, I mean you have cat people, dog people, dragon people, lizard people, and fairy-people. Not that I have anything against hybrid-type races, it's just that it seems to be a bit much really.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

It's interesting, to say the least, and this coming from a guy who generally dislikes D20 and newer game systems.

I'll say this for Monte Cook: if nothing else, he is creative and you are always sure to find something interesting in the books he puts out. I don't care for a lot of the assumptions he makes in some of this other books, but this alongside Ptolus are probably my favorite books of his.

Can't ever play it, but I can break out the books and look every now and then. Would be interesting to give it a whirl sometime in the future.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I'd still like to give the faen a shot some day myself, but other than that I'm not too familiar with the rest of the book.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!