New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default [3.5] Giving cold immunity to a red dragon?

I'm looking for a way to take an Ancient+ red dragon, and add the cold subtype or generic cold immunity to it - the schtick is a dragon that lives among the icy peaks of a mountain range known to contain dormant volcanoes, and I plan to be very mean with some of the feats I'm going to give it - but I'd like to see it have Cold Immunity as well. Going to burn two feats to get Brood Keeper's Heart and Open Heart Chakra (yes, inspired by another thread), so I can give it the Swarm subtype, and the mental image of a dragon that, when threatened, can explode into a flurry of snowflakes and ash is just awesome in my head - but I'd like to justify the snowflakes part by giving it a more or less permanent tie to the frozen mountains it calls home. Any suggestions?
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: [3.5] Giving cold immunity to a red dragon?

Well, the easy way would be to just put Energy Immunity on its spells known list. That might not fit the flavor you want very well, though; while it lasts long enough to easily maintain it at all times, it's not sufficiently permanent/inherent to reasonably tie to the snowflakes thing.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Well, you could just have it burst into volcanic ash...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I'm sure there's a template out there that gives cold immunity - can't think of it off the top of my head, though.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

There's quite a few templates out there that might qualify. And could even give it the Cold Subtype- making it immune to metamagic that normally allows you to get past Cold Immunity.

Half-White dragon (template can be added to "any corporeal creature") is the first to spring to mind.

Frostburn has a metamagic feat that allows your cold spells to beat Cold Immunity- but they can't get past the Cold Subtype.

Sandstorm has a similar feat for fire, but as I recall, it's better, since it doesn't have a "fire subtype creatures are still immune" clause.

I think there's a spell that can temporarily grant you the Cold Subtype (in PHB2?)
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-11-09 at 11:30 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, you could just have it burst into volcanic ash...
    That's my fallback, along with having Energy Immunity among its spells known. But that's.. well, it's too easy, and no fun.

I'd like to give it a *reason* why, instead of taking the active volcanic lair that its child currently inhabits, it's living among the snow-capped peaks of dead volcanoes. If there's something that gives it a flavor of "Lived here so long it's become native to it", great. Otherwise, I can take anything that provides cold immunity/cold subtype and refluff it. I will, however, go ahead and say that half-white or half-silver dragon simply won't work.

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

7. - Top - End - #7

OK- what about the Cold Element Creature template in Manual of the Planes?

I'm not sure if it grants the Cold Subtype though.

Dragon Magazine also has Para-Elemental templates (one of which is Ice) that turn the creature into an elemental.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    I will, however, go ahead and say that half-white or half-silver dragon simply won't work.
    Why not? I think a pink dragon would be adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Give it a Ring of Elemental Immunity: Cold? As Epic magic items go, that one's pretty reasonable. He's an Epic CR foe if he's an Ancient Red, so that falls into line. He could have forged it himself as part of his character background - this is a Red Dragon who has invested in Incarnum and lives in a frozen wasteland, clearly he's directing his energies towards some overall goal, and the ring could fit into that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

There's the Mantle of the Icy Soul spell in Frostburn that permanently gives the target the Cold subtype. Instantaneous duration so it's not dispellable, too. I think it's 8th level, though, so it might not be within the dragon's personal resources to cast. Oh well, getting it on a scroll would be a lot less wasteful for a creature with Sorcerer casting anyway, unless he's building an army of cold subtype minions.

You'd also have to ignore the Spell Compendium update that reduced the spell's level, made it temporary, and (I think) added a specific clause about the fire subtype (if the target has it, the spell removes it instead of adding the cold subtype). The Frostburn version has no problem with producing a creature that has both the fire and cold subtypes.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2010-11-09 at 11:39 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Two-headed cryo-Red Dragon? Only one head is the cryo and the other is the normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ask this guy to make a new dragon for you: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169209
    Last edited by akma; 2010-11-09 at 11:47 AM.
    Madly In Science, an RPG in which you play mad scientists, you can get it for free.

Spoiler: Some other things.
    Show
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)
    (Wall) passer, a rogue variant
    My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Why not? I think a pink dragon would be adorable.
    Between the idea of a pink dragon and a half-dragon True Dragon, I'd have to shoot something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Give it a Ring of Elemental Immunity: Cold? As Epic magic items go, that one's pretty reasonable. He's an Epic CR foe if he's an Ancient Red, so that falls into line. He could have forged it himself as part of his character background - this is a Red Dragon who has invested in Incarnum and lives in a frozen wasteland, clearly he's directing his energies towards some overall goal, and the ring could fit into that.

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    There's the Mantle of the Icy Soul spell in Frostburn that permanently gives the target the Cold subtype. Instantaneous duration so it's not dispellable, too. I think it's 8th level, though, so it might not be within the dragon's personal resources to cast. Oh well, getting it on a scroll would be a lot less wasteful for a creature with Sorcerer casting anyway, unless he's building an army of cold subtype minions.

You'd also have to ignore the Spell Compendium update that reduced the spell's level, made it temporary, and (I think) added a specific clause about the fire subtype (if the target has it, the spell removes it instead of adding the cold subtype). The Frostburn version has no problem with producing a creature that has both the fire and cold subtypes.
    These two are the ones I'm most likely to lean toward. fairly simple, none of the silliness of pink half-dragon red dragons or turning him into an elemental. Wish I could get a copy of Frostburn, though, so I could take a closer look at that Mantle of the Icy Soul spell. Also, the spell that gives a creature the cold subtype in PHB2 is 1round/level, so not really the permanent effect I'm looking for. Thanks, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Two-headed cryo-Red Dragon? Only one head is the cryo and the other is the normal?
    Neat idea, but not for this dragon.. at least, not in the setting I'm in. If he was a follower of Tiamat, then perhaps. But in this setting, Tiamat and Bahamut haven't made it to godhood yet, and the red in question is a co-conspirator/concubine/follower of the (currently deposed) "Queen of Dragons". Perhaps if I use a pre-deific Tiamat, I'll do something like that..
    Last edited by Quietus; 2010-11-09 at 11:50 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Make it a skeleton?

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

^: Well, mutants don't necessarily have to follow Tiamat, now do they?

Wait, aren't there rituals to gain subtypes in Savage Species?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

You could make it a vampire dragon, resistance 20 isn't immunity but it's enough to be going on with, that'd fit the whole *poof* I'm a cloud of ice crystals thing too.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Would it be possible to make it a Dracolich? They get immunity to cold.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

^: Well, mutants don't necessarily have to follow Tiamat, now do they?

Wait, aren't there rituals to gain subtypes in Savage Species?
    Indeed there are, thank you! It's actually ridiculously cheap, as well.. 36k roughly, and like 1400 experience. He could force any 9th-level or higher Cleric with the Cold domain to do it..I'm seeing an opportunity for a fun plot event happening here, involving said Cleric being willing to perform the ritual, in exchange for some heavy artillery support...

I actually got a bit worried at first, the alignment subtype ritual specifically says that you lose a previous, or opposed, subtype.. but the energy subtype ritual has no such clause. So for a comparatively piddling cost, I can now have a Red Dragon with [Fire, Cold] subtypes.. you, sir, get an internets!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

There is a feat that grants the cold domain spells to an arcane caster. Give big red the feat and have him do it to himself. He also gets some cold spells added to his spell known outside his class progression.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Indeed there are, thank you! It's actually ridiculously cheap, as well.. 36k roughly, and like 1400 experience. He could force any 9th-level or higher Cleric with the Cold domain to do it..I'm seeing an opportunity for a fun plot event happening here, involving said Cleric being willing to perform the ritual, in exchange for some heavy artillery support...

I actually got a bit worried at first, the alignment subtype ritual specifically says that you lose a previous, or opposed, subtype.. but the energy subtype ritual has no such clause. So for a comparatively piddling cost, I can now have a Red Dragon with [Fire, Cold] subtypes.. you, sir, get an internets!
    Yay! *clutches at it* my preciouss.....

Speaking of which, I should go check through that book myself, if that's the case...
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Albino red dragon ftw!! (it does not give you cold immunity but it makes them think it has it)

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

From the Draconomicon, the Hidecarved Dragon Prc might do it. Plus giving you several other immunities/resistances.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    There is a feat that grants the cold domain spells to an arcane caster. Give big red the feat and have him do it to himself. He also gets some cold spells added to his spell known outside his class progression.
    Unfortunately, you can't perform these rituals on yourself.. plus, I DO like having SOME way that this dragon (Pyralis) can interact with the world. Hell, even just one pass of an energy-admixtured fire/cold breath weapon doing 24d10 fire damage + 24d10 cold damage, with a DC of 40+, could be valuable enough for a caster capable of performing that ritual to go "Yes, I'll perform the ritual for you". And that one blast of breath weapon won't really cost Pyralis anything, either.. and now he's immune to cold AND fire!

Yay! *clutches at it* my preciouss.....

Speaking of which, I should go check through that book myself, if that's the case...
    Hah, yeah- the rituals in there are pretty neat. You can snag many different subtypes; Any Alignment or Energy, most non-PC-race "humanoid (variant)" ones, aquatic, or even incorporeal. And that's just with the MINOR rituals.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Technically by RAW monsters with cold immunity are vulnerable to fire and vis versa. So if you give a red dragon cold immunity, does the game divide by zero? Practically I don't think this was meant to be a hard and fast rule and cold immunity doesn't cause fire vulnerability unless the template says so.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-11-09 at 01:45 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Technically by RAW monsters with cold immunity are vulnerable to fire and vis versa. So if you give a red dragon cold immunity, does the game divide by zero? Practically I don't think this was meant to be a hard and fast rule and the immunity doesn't cause fire invulnerability unless it says so.
    No. Fire immunity causes +50% Cold, which is 0 due to the Cold Immunity, which makes Fire +50%, which is 0. I say this, because I played a Barbarian who took Blazing and Frozen Berserker feats, giving him the Cold and Fire Subtypes while Raging.
    Current Avatar:
    Captain Roy Valiant by Lord Fullbladder

Former Avatars:
    Deepwyrm Drow Warblade by gurgleflep
    Kakashi Avatar by Dispozition
    Draenei Spellbreaker by KaptainKrutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Anecronwashere View Post
    Cleric: Right, I cast Infict Serious Wounds on that guy.
    DM: Sorry, you kissed too many babies this week, you heal him instead
    Cleric: Quick! Someone find me a dog to kick

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would assume that the vulnerabilities would be negated by the immunities.

Edit: Ninja'd
    Last edited by DaragosKitsune; 2010-11-09 at 07:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the line between genius and madness is so thin...

Then why do so few in this day and age toe said line?

Thanks to Bongos for the v-13 avvie!

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Give it a level in Barbarian + Freezing Rage (from Frostburn book). You gain cold immunity while raging (don't lose fire immunity if had it).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Also note this is now a red dragon immune to Shivering Touch

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    From the Draconomicon, the Hidecarved Dragon Prc might do it. Plus giving you several other immunities/resistances.
    Hidecarved dragon, unfortunately, specifically disallows you from gaining immunity in the opposing types.
    BEEP.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    No. Fire immunity causes +50% Cold, which is 0 due to the Cold Immunity, which makes Fire +50%, which is 0.
    Subtypes, not immunities.

And if you have feats that punch through immunities, vulnerabilities come into play.

Against a Cold Subtype creature with Fire Immunity, the metamagic feat Searing Spell allows you to do extra damage.

The immunity means the spell does half damage (feat allows you to beat immunity).

The Cold Subtype, means the spell does double damage (not +50% as would normally happen with a fire spell)- since Searing Spell does more damage to Cold Subtype creatures than an ordinary fire spell would.

So- both the halving, and doubling, would apply.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-11-09 at 01:45 PM.