New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Stumped on Rakshasa

I was looking at the Rakshasa, and I can't figure out why anyone would play a normal sorcerer instead (supposing you can alter its alignment). It has an LA of +7, which is exactly the same as its spell casting, and it adds permanent Detect Thoughts and the ability to use Shape Change.

Am I missing something? Because otherwise I can't see why anyone playing sorc wouldn't take this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Stumped on Rakshasa

Racial Hit Dice. It has 7 HD, and +7 LA. Thus, you have to be starting at level 14 equivalent to play one, but you only get 7 levels of casting.
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Play the OoTs homebrew Rakshasa class
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Isn't there a racial class in the Savage Species book for Rakshasa?

And anyways, just scrap the hit dice, along with all the abilities that come with it. That's how we do monster races. You don't get the feats, skills, HP, etc, but you get the racial abilities. It works for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by jguy View Post
    Play the OoTs homebrew Rakshasa class
    I'll look into that. Anyway I don't particularly want to play one, I just didn't know you had to account for HD as well as LA.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I just didn't know you had to account for HD as well as LA.
    You do. A monster's Effective Character Level is equal to its Hit Dice plus its Level Adjustment.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I am wondering if it too is overpriced at cr10. It does get dr, sr and some misc abilities over a human sorc7, but are these worth the +3cr?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    I am wondering if it too is overpriced at cr10. It does get dr, sr and some misc abilities over a human sorc7, but are these worth the +3cr?
    I'd say so. It's much more sturdy. Compared to a level 7 NPC sorcerer, this guy has double the HP, and much better defenses: the DR is positively huge for 3.5, and isn't easily overcome at all. It can hardly be touched by level-appropriate magic (SR 27) and has considerably better saves. It can even handle melee for a bit (much higher AC, 3 natural attacks, much better BAB and strength).

Add to that the higher potential for deception (detect thoughts, change shape, skills), it should be able to challenge a party much more than an NPC sorcerer 7.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tytalus View Post
    I'd say so. It's much more sturdy. Compared to a level 7 NPC sorcerer, this guy has double the HP, and much better defenses: the DR is positively huge for 3.5, and isn't easily overcome at all. It can hardly be touched by level-appropriate magic (SR 27) and has considerably better saves. It can even handle melee for a bit (much higher AC, 3 natural attacks, much better BAB and strength).

Add to that the higher potential for deception (detect thoughts, change shape, skills), it should be able to challenge a party much more than an NPC sorcerer 7.
    It essentially follows the rules for a monster; they should be stronger then an equivalent PC. A level 7 PC sorc is weaker then a Rakshasa because the Rakshasa has to fight a group all by itself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    It essentially follows the rules for a monster; they should be stronger then an equivalent PC. A level 7 PC sorc is weaker then a Rakshasa because the Rakshasa has to fight a group all by itself.
    Well, yes. That's why a Sor7 is a CR7 challenge. CR = Party Level is a fight that the PCs should overcome handily while expending a small amount of their resources; that means that a single CR7 foe (edit: monster OR PC class) should pretty much get run over after maybe doing a little damage of its own or taking a spell or two in the face.

A CR10 challenge, on the other hand, should be a serious fight for a whole party of level 7. And that's more in line with where the Rakshasa is.
    Last edited by Lapak; 2010-11-23 at 01:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    And anyways, just scrap the hit dice, along with all the abilities that come with it. That's how we do monster races. You don't get the feats, skills, HP, etc, but you get the racial abilities. It works for us.
    You don't mind having an 8th level character with 4 HP?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    You don't mind having an 8th level character with 4 HP?
    You'll be so fragile your DM won't risk hitting you with anything!
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    Isn't there a racial class in the Savage Species book for Rakshasa?

If you're going to scrap something, scrap the LA, not the HD.

(Not all of it naturally, outsider HD and SR are both pretty nice advantages, with sorc casting to boot.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)