New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default [oWoD] How many generations kinfolk?

How many generations would a single line of people stay kinfolk, assuming no true werewolves breeding in during that period?

Two different scenarios:

a) Village above the genetic variability minimum (since there's going to be a touch of relation, even if people are kinfolk to a wide variety of tribes). All people in the village are kinfolk. No outbreeding at all. Superstitious, they kill all true-born Garou as soon as they manifest. How long would the people remain kinfolk?

b) Garou and mate. Child of couple A mates with Normal Human. Child of Couple B mates with Normal Human, and so on. At what point are the children not kinfolk?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [oWoD] How many generations kinfolk?

I belive it mentions in one of the Werewolf books that you could, if you really wanted to, play a White Howler ( the tribe that fell and became the Black Spiral Dancer) born from their few survivng Kinfolk and they were effectively wiped out during the Roman invasion of Britain
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I belive it mentions in one of the Werewolf books that you could, if you really wanted to, play a White Howler ( the tribe that fell and became the Black Spiral Dancer) born from their few survivng Kinfolk and they were effectively wiped out during the Roman invasion of Britain
    Nope, a tribe is bound together by a tribal totem, not a function of werewolf "genetics" (for a lack of a better term), and since the white howlers no longer have a totem you can't join the tribe. You could however play a white howler "throwback" member of another tribe. Such a throwback would almost definitely be hunted by the black spirals in order to convert or destroy however.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, it's mostly random.
    ie:
    were+were = u% were(metis) + v% kin +w% normal
    were+kin = x% were + y% kin +z% normal
    kin+kin = a% were + b% kin +c% normal
    were+normal = d% were + e% kin +f% normal
    kin+normal = g% were + h% kin +i% normal

any or all of {w,z,c,d,f,g} could be very small

as for your scenarios:
    A)
    for simplicity, we'll assume that the percentages are followed exactly, rescale the pupulation to 1, and assume a and g are small.

Gen1: 100%kin

Gen2: b%kin c%normal

Gen3: bb+2bc+cc = pairings -> (bbb+2bch)%kin +(bbc+2bci +cc)%normal

Genn: (b*((kin in Gen(n-1))^2) + 2h*((kin in Gen(n-1))*(normal in Gen(n-1))))kin + (c*((kin in Gen(n-1))^2) + 2i*((kin in Gen(n-1))*(normal in Gen(n-1))) + ((normal in Gen(n-1))^2))normal

sorry, haven't figured out the series as a function of n

B)
    for simplicity, we'll assume that the percentages are followed exactly, and assume the first child(were+normal) was a kin and start there.

Gen0: kin
    Gen1: h% kin
    Gen2: h^2 % kin
    Gen3: h^3 % kin
    Gen4: h^4 % kin
    Genn: h^n % kin

also,
    The % s are there to show what I mean in the first part.
    because % = 1/100, I should have divided by 100 every time I multiplied a variable to keep the units consistent.
    If it bothers you, if you remove all percentage symbols, and the units will fix themselves.
    Last edited by Dingle; 2010-12-07 at 05:06 PM. Reason: adding second scenario
    GENERATION ([-0.051730 + (-0.674245 + 1.206612 c) i - 1.117584 c + c^2] + c)^2 + c. If this is the first time you see this copy it into your signature, square the generation and add c. Fractal experiment.

Though noone was gonna pick it up, eh?

Squaring that lot is going to take a while.