New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Forgotten/Ignored rules (3.5, mostly)

What rules do you think are often ignored or just plain forgotten in D&D? I myself have noted that very few people seem to remember or care about the starting ages. XP-penalties seem to be ignored most of the time, though rarely forgotten.

From my gaming table, I have a houserule that arose from this. Every time someone rolled a critical crit, we were like "oh look a crit! Double damage!" Then, after the combat. "We forgot to roll confirmation." This happened every single time. So eventually, I just said we're not rolling them anymore, because we wouldn't remember anyway.

Anyone else have accounts, stories, comments or rotten tomatoes?
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Forgotten/Ignored rules (3.5, mostly)

For my group they seem to forget that they have buffs/magic items on which really tends to screw them over. But the rolling for confirmation is one that seems to be just tossed to the side as well.
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

At our table, we often forget concealment due to illumination.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

The DC15 save when you deal 50 or more damage (which comes up quite often when you have martial adepts and blasters).

You can charge as a standard action (new DM didn't realise he could do this with zombies).

Not really an ignored rule, but said new DM also got overwhelmed from having to keep track of outsider resistances/immunities. I am pretty sure he forgot to apply resistances/dr a couple of times.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

encumbrance slowing move speed is pretty much gone
    so i confirmation
    torture rules are left to roleplaying
    actually a lot of things are left to roleplayin in my group including diplomacy and sometimes bluff
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

My group used to forget that dismissing a spell takes a standard action. We dont anymore because one of us reminded the DM when it was inconvienent for one of his baddies.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    The DC15 save when you deal 50 or more damage (which comes up quite often when you have martial adepts and blasters).

You can charge as a standard action (new DM didn't realise he could do this with zombies).

Not really an ignored rule, but said new DM also got overwhelmed from having to keep track of outsider resistances/immunities. I am pretty sure he forgot to apply resistances/dr a couple of times.
    The charge rule is convoluted as hell. You can do it when limited to a standard action. So zombies can do it, and during a surprise round. Can you do it as a readied action, though? There's the rub. You can ready only a standard action. So maybe. BUT when you readied it, you weren't limited to one.

This caused much annoyance at our table one time. I think I just let them do it and said we'll figure it out later. Two years later and we still don't really know.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwillednt View Post
    Can you do it as a readied action, though? There's the rub. You can ready only a standard action. So maybe. BUT when you readied it, you weren't limited to one.
    There's a feat in PHBII, Cometary Collision, that allows you to ready an action to charge someone who's charging you or your friends.

So it seems the person writing the feat thought you normally couldn't ready a charge.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

• Monks not being proficient with unarmed strikes.
    • Multiclassing XP penalties.
    • Epic spellcasting.
    • Diplomacy and Bluff results are heavily modified by common sense.
    • The grappling system is DM-adjudicated most of the time. (You want to do something, roll an opposed grapple check, and no we don't want to go through the grappling rules line by line to see if it's right or not.)
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

We always apply the confirmation for crit, but practically never the check penalties for distance for listen/spot.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I think my group has never really enforced the range increment penalties either. We just assume archers can hit the enemies on the map, however far away.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The charge rule is convoluted as hell. You can do it when limited to a standard action. So zombies can do it, and during a surprise round. Can you do it as a readied action, though? There's the rub. You can ready only a standard action. So maybe. BUT when you readied it, you weren't limited to one.
    “The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun.”
    (( emphasis mine ))

When you take your readied action, it is no longer the same turn as when you first readied it. On your readied action, you are limited to a standard or move action, so therefore you can make a standard-action charge.

Never saw anyone play it any different, and I’m pretty sure readying a charge has been mentioned as a tactic certain monsters and NPCs use in official sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    There's a feat in PHBII, Cometary Collision, that allows you to ready an action to charge someone who's charging you or your friends.

So it seems the person writing the feat thought you normally couldn't ready a charge.
    The benefit of that feat is not to ready your charge, but to gain a greater bonus on your charge and to deny your opponent the attack bonus from charging.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-12-30 at 09:14 AM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    “The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun.”
    (( emphasis mine ))

When you take your readied action, it is no longer the same turn as when you first readied it. On your readied action, you are limited to a standard or move action, so therefore you can make a standard-action charge.

Never saw anyone play it any different, and I’m pretty sure readying a charge has been mentioned as a tactic certain monsters and NPCs use in official sources.
    Then what's the point of aforementioned feat someone else just said?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

There would be no point, but Cometary Collision is awful anyway, and WotC has a history of developers failing at their own rules. Nothing new here.
    Edit: Swordsage'd.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2010-12-30 at 09:16 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Ninja Edit: See above. The feat’s “benefit” was not quoted in full. The first line says, “You can ready a standard action to use this feat when an opponent charges you or any other target.” It then goes on to say what happens when you use the feat. And the benefit is more than just being able to take a standard action charge. Specifically, you get a damage bonus, while your charging opponent loses his attack bonus (but retains is AC penalty).

And note that it says you ready to use the feat, not ready to charge. It just so happens that part of using the feat requires making a standard-action charge.

In any case, the Player’s Handbook is the primary source for the rules on charging and readying an action, not a poorly-written weak feat from Player’s Handbook II.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2010-12-30 at 09:47 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

We always throw out the little things that slow combat down, like +1 to hit for being on higher ground. Etc, etc.

Besides, we have our OWN ways of slowing combat down. I speak of course of

Attack Math
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Encounter starts. In 3.0 encounters automatically started when the distance between opponents dropped to half its initial value. In 3.5 encounters don't start until somebody on one side succeeds on a Spot or Listen check ─ except for forest fires and avalanches, which still use the 3.0 rules.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Multilayer lighting and concealment is just too much work for me. You either see it or you don't. I have never seen anyone actually take the time for it - it's absolutely ridiculous when many light sources are moving around.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Runestar View Post
    Oh yeah. I've never forgotten that rule, actually. However, I never intentionally play with it. It makes high level play kind of stupid, and even more rocket-tag like.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

At our table, the following rules are oft-ignored:

- manually lowering spell resistance, or alternatively having the caster beat your spell resistance, to receive helpful spells from allies
    - encumbrance, unless you're doing something obviously pretty ridiculous
    - the mass damage save as mentioned above (not so much ignored...we use an alternative system)
    - illumination ranges in general
    - food

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

RAW is pretty much impossible to play straight out of the box, so I'm pretty sure every group makes small adjustments to the rules if only for sanity's sake... In my group:
    • Multiclassing XP penalty gets ignored.
    • Range penalties for Spot/Listen
    • Obscure combat modifiers like +1 to hit for higher ground
    • Silly stuff that's not supposed to be there like drown-healing etc.
    • Town size/item availability by value (DM's call whether an item is available instead)
    • NPC attitudes (neutral/unfriendly/friendly/helpful/hostile/...) - that's just roleplayed. Followup...
    • Diplomacy gets changed to a RP-aiding skill: "My character said what I just said, but much more eloquently and convincingly because I rolled a 29 on diplomacy"

...And probably a ton of other stuff that I'm forgetting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Encumbrance! Go try building a 8 Str character at first level and see if you can stay in light load, with all the adventuring equip. It's impossible.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Actually, where is that higher ground rule found? I know I read it somewhere but I can't remember where. I've got a 3.5 paladin in a campaign who spends most of his time on his horse and I was wondering if that qualifiedas higher ground?

Edit: to stay on topic, my group ignores
    -encumbrance, unless it's something ridiculous
    -cover
    -concealment
    -lighting, if it's moderately light out you can see it normally. If it's dark you use darkvision and see fine (range isn't calculated) if you have a torch and lowlight vision while it's dark out you can see it (again range is forgotten)
    Last edited by Sarakos; 2010-12-30 at 11:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    [*]NPC attitudes (neutral/unfriendly/friendly/helpful/hostile/...) - that's just roleplayed. Followup...[*]Diplomacy gets changed to a RP-aiding skill: "My character said what I just said, but much more eloquently and convincingly because I rolled a 29 on diplomacy"[/LIST]
    ...And probably a ton of other stuff that I'm forgetting.
    My group kind of plays this way too, although we're all pretty happy with it. We try to roleplay things out when possible, but our fallback axiom is "My character can do this better than I can...that's why I'm roleplaying." Otherwise, we'd have an adventuring party full of attorneys, doctors, and IT professionals.

Hmmm, maybe I should give Papers & Paychecks another chance. ;)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Loads of people seem to forget that a natural 20 on a skill check is not an automatic success, same for natural 1s.
    You gotta' let me know, are we human,
    Or are we dancers?
    My signs are vital, my hands are cold,
    And I'm on my knees, begging for the answer,
    Are we human, or are we dancers?

- Human, The Killers

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

A flat percentage of magic wepons glow as if they had a light spell cast on them, determined at xreation.
    Kinda irritating if the Assassin's +5 kukri of stabbing you in the spine til you bexome a sad person with no spine, announces his presence as soon as it's drawn.
    Never trust a man, who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, doesn't try it on.--Billy Connolly
    Spoiler
    Show

Cluny avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusWings View Post
    Loads of people seem to forget that a natural 20 on a skill check is not an automatic success, same for natural 1s.
    It's not just skill checks. Disarm checks are opposed attack rolls, and yet there's no automatic success or failure ─ because there's no hitting or missing.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It's not just skill checks.
    Indeed. Attack Rolls and Saves are the only checks with automatic successes and failures.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It's not just skill checks.
    Indeed. Attack Rolls and Saves are the only checks with automatic successes and failures.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scourge View Post
    A flat percentage of magic wepons glow as if they had a light spell cast on them, determined at xreation.
    Kinda irritating if the Assassin's +5 kukri of stabbing you in the spine til you bexome a sad person with no spine, announces his presence as soon as it's drawn.
    Why would an assassin use one of the weapons that glows? A full 70% of them don’t. It’s not like the non-glowy ones would be hard to find. And even if they were, the surprise and death attack is probably better than most bonuses you’d get, so might as well use a non-magical weapon.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

No, you can't. You can not ready full-round actions, and charging is a full-round action. You can take a "partial charge" when you are normally restricted to taking only a standard action or a move action, but this does not change the action required to perform a charge. (In other words, charging is a full-round action, and a partial charge does not make an exception.)

Boots of the Battle Charger (MIC), however, explicitly allow you to charge as a standard action. Get those if you want to play D&D rugby.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.