New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Battle Bard

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Battle Bard

(Note: this is a non-Tome-of-Battle campaign. This is outside my control. Please don't bother telling me I'm an idiot for not using ToB or explaining how I really should be to make melee viable, etc. etc. I already read my thread on that for the day.)

A player wants to play a buff-and-attack type bard. What's some good build and tactical advice? I found the handbook at

http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...Bards_Handbook

Snowflake Wardance looks nice for attack mod...but what are some ways to pump damage? I'm a little worried about the common pitfall (esp for players who like Dex-y characters - weapon finesse or ranged etc.) of making a char who can hit with a good chance but then does small damage. The bard's 3/4ths BAB and Snowflake Wardance's one-handed restriction make Power Attack seem unattractive for such a char. Are there good 1st-3rd level bard spells to put in a Spell Storing weapon?
    Last edited by ffone; 2010-12-31 at 03:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Battle Bard

If you allow ToB, check out Song of the White Raven. You can pick up a few initiator levels and then wade in with some manuevers.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Here are some Bard Gish builds:
    Bard 8/ Paladin 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 3
    Bard 8/ Arcane Archer 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 3
    Bard 8/ Knight Phantom 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Knight Phantom 8 (requires Militia feat, Otherworldly feat, or Outsider Subtype)
    Bard 8/ Something Full BAB + Martial Weapon Profs 1/ Knight Phantom 1/ Sublime Chord 1/ Knight Phantom 9
    Bard 7/ Something Full BAB + Martial Weapon Profs 1/ Knight Phantom 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Knight Phantom 8
    Bard 7/ Something Full BAB + Martial Weapon Profs 1/ Eldritch Knight 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Eldritch Knight 8
    Bard 6/ Crusader or Warblade 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8
    Bard 4/ Crusader or Warblade 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 4/ Sublime Chord 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Jade Phoenix Mage 4

For some buffing options look here: Inspire Courage Optimization Handbook

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonfire Inspiration and Arcane Strike could make for some good damage. DFI especially, since it helps the entire party (well, every ally who can hear the bard). Arcane Strike gives a handy boost to attacks and a (stacking) bonus to damage.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, you have Haste and all sorts of buff spells. As mentioned earlier, it's possible to use Dragonfire Inspiration to get large amounts of additional dice damage with your weapon.

Try using a Whip Dagger, it's from A&E. It's essentially a whip that can do lethal damage as well as affect armored foes. Use Combat Expertise with Improved Disarm to disarm foes. Use Improved Trip to well... trip. Get Combat Reflexes to take advantage of their new AoO provoking conditions.

Wouldn't recommend Arcane Strike, Bards don't get enough spells per day to power it. You're better off having an extra attack from Haste than to get 3d4 damage on your next attack routine.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's setting-specific, but the Warrior Skald in Forgotten Realms can give a decent boost to combat efficacy, in addition to the DFI route absolmorph mentioned.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Bard-barian imho. DFI goes great with whirling frenzy, and then you add the pounce ACF. Also, try a race that will let him get good things to alter-self into :D

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

In terms of items, a Crystal Echoblade addresses some of the issues with damage output that come from Snowflake Wardance, and from memory it'll only set you back about 4,000 gp or so.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

You might want to think about savage bard from unearthed arcana for starters.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Straight Bard with Dragonfire Inspiration, Snowflake Wardance and Arcane Strike would do very respectably. Add Knowledge Devotion if willing to invest skillpoints into the deal and you get even more good stuff. And then, one level of Sacred Exorcist into Divine Might for Cha to damage Cha+3 times per day (for one entire round, all attacks). That should get you started. Bard 10/Sublime Chord 2/Abjurant Champion 4/Sacred Exorcist 4 would work well, for example. Or Bard 8/Full BAB 2/etc.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-12-31 at 09:41 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

If you go Sacred Exorcist, you can take Travel Devotion and get Slippers of Battledancing for Cha instead of Str on Attack and Damage among other things.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the War Chanter from CW is quite nice. You don't get any spell progression, but they have some fun bardic music options like Inspire Toughness (+2 temp hp for each War Chanter level + Diehard at lvl 6), Inspire Recklessness (Rage) and Inspire Legion (find best BAB in the party, everyone uses it for duration of song.) And the class has a d8 HD with best BAB progression.

13. - Top - End - #13

Inspire Recklessness is a LOT better than rage!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

There are various ways of getting double song or you can sing one song and then sing another song the next round. If you have extend song and extra song you can get huge numbers from dragonfire inspiration and inspire courage. Its too bad you can not get just a feat from TOB so you could get a swift action singing and one level of warlblade/crusader so you could use it. With words of creation your bonuses will break campaigns though that requires being exalted.

Warchanter can give you double song. Best part of the path in many ways.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Battle Sorcerer into Prestige Bard is another way of making a Bard. You still get to cast in light armor and sing bard songs, but you get Sor/Wiz casting. Which is nice.

Petition the DM to remove Bluff and add Perform (Battle Sorcerer removes Bluff and adds Intimidate, so it's not an unreasonable request).
    Last edited by Chambers; 2010-12-31 at 07:39 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Battle Sorcerer into Prestige Bard is another way of making a Bard. You still get to cast in light armor and sing bard songs, but you get Sor/Wiz casting. Which is nice.
    I'm not really sure what this gains over Lyric Thaumaturge, and it loses tons of skills, music uses and CL.

Lyric Thaumaturge can also be pretty ridiculous with spells like Sonic Weapon or Energy Substitution/Born of Three Thunders Flame daggers.

17. - Top - End - #17

It gains by being simpler and not ridiculous compared to some of the ways used to boost Bards.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-01-01 at 12:14 PM.
    english not base lenguage, sry for the grammar, thanks.

Kael Proudmoure, Swifblade (avatar by Loki Eremes)
    Unlimited arcane technique: Spell, Sword, and Fist.

19. - Top - End - #19

It gains by being simpler and not ridiculous compared to some of the ways used to boost Bards.
    By using a PrC version of a base class? Which is supposed to be used only when the standard version is not in use?

As far as a Battle Bard build, you could go for the Two Weapon Fighting route with Dragonfire Inspiration and some IC boosting, or the Spring Attack/Bounding Assault/Rapid Blitz route with Slippers of Battledancing and some IC boosting. You'll note that Inspire Courage optimization is a feature of both of these - a +10 to attack and damage (or a +10d6 with DFI, or both with DFI and Lingering Song) is that good - and they both work well with Snowflake Wardance. If the DM is open to it, have your Bard pick up Leadership for an Incantatrix cohort with Persistent Spell, then use Metamagic effect on your music to have both IC and DFI on all the time, which saves you uses of Bardic Music for other things (Inspire Greatness, Snowflake Wardance, what have you) though many DMs won't go for it. Obviously TWFing requires fewer feats, but if you can get enough feats to pull it off I prefer the Spring attacker. See if you can convince your DM to merge the Spring Attack line into one feat.

You could also, if you're not too lactose intolerant, you can use Planar Touchstone: Catalogs of Enlightenment to get the Time or Celerity Domain (I think it's one of those two) to get Haste early, and go Bard 6/Swiftblade 4/Sublime Chord 2/Swiftblade 5/Fullcasting PrC 3 (or Sublime Chord 3).
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post
    By using a PrC version of a base class? Which is supposed to be used only when the standard version is not in use?
    Yes. Primarily because you keep nearly all of the Bard class features (loss out on Suggestion but later get Mass Suggestion) and get Sorcerer/Wizard spells in addition to Bard only spells. And you can up to 8th level Sor/Wiz spells without having to go into flavor specific PrC's like Sublime Chord. And because you have those more useful higher level spells you don't need to cheese out with Incantrix companions or be forced to make a Snowflake Swiftblade in order to remain competitive.

So, yeah. It's simple, effective, retains the base flavor of the Bard and allows for further specialization (feats, spells, prc's, etc).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows. 12k GP, CHA to damage, all day, every day. Slippers of Batledancing. 33,750, CHA to attack and damage as long as you move 10ft. Dragonfire Inspiration. Replaces Inspire Courage with +Xd6 fire damage dice. Between these, you'll be dishing out enough pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Does the dashing swordsman class exist?
    If it does, you should totally take levels in it.
    I would pay money to see people pun fight in their campaigns.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I would suggest pumping Inspire Courage, with DFI, then going into War Chanter. Even without ToB stuff, you're still going to have crazy IC numbers, and since you're going to end up with only loosing a single point of BAB, the Song of Legion is going to help out the rest of the non-full-bab party members.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

25. - Top - End - #25

Yes. Primarily because you keep nearly all of the Bard class features (loss out on Suggestion but later get Mass Suggestion) and get Sorcerer/Wizard spells in addition to Bard only spells. And you can up to 8th level Sor/Wiz spells without having to go into flavor specific PrC's like Sublime Chord. And because you have those more useful higher level spells you don't need to cheese out with Incantrix companions or be forced to make a Snowflake Swiftblade in order to remain competitive.

So, yeah. It's simple, effective, retains the base flavor of the Bard and allows for further specialization (feats, spells, prc's, etc).
    You don't need an Incantatrix Cohort (Bards do get sufficient uses of Bardic Music). Nor do you need Snowflake Wardance (or Swiftblade) though it helps. Either of my suggestions are just straight Bard, or Bard 9/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8 if you really want 9th level spells. Either of which strikes me as simpler and more elegant than using a Sorcerer ACF and an PrC variant of a base class. Both work with what the Bard gets, namely, Inspire Courage and a typically high Charisma, and achieve what the OP wants, which is a combat effective Bard.
    No levelled malice
    Leaving no track behind.

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    In terms of items, a Crystal Echoblade addresses some of the issues with damage output that come from Snowflake Wardance, and from memory it'll only set you back about 4,000 gp or so.
    this.
    Crystal Echoblade, snowflake wardance, probably weapon finesse, dragonfire inspiration, Haste = lots of damage potential.

Throw in some Whirlingblade spells and you can hit multiple opponents as well.
    There are also bard spells that make it so opponents take more damage from sonic attacks (I can't remember it right now, it's in the spell compendium level 2 or 3 spell) so helllloooo Crystal echoblade!
    "The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy stories tell children that dragons can be killed."
    -Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
    this.
    Crystal Echoblade, snowflake wardance, probably weapon finesse, dragonfire inspiration, Haste = lots of damage potential.
    Depending what level you start at, skip the weapon finesse and go purely off CHA. Slippers of Battledancing are about 34k and let you use charisma to-hit and damage instead of your normal stat.

Tack on Snowflake Wardance and Power Attack for full every time since you get double CHA to hit.

28. - Top - End - #28

Creaking Cacophony is the spell that makes creatures vulnerable to sonic damage. Bladeweave, Dolorous Blow, Greater Mirror Image, Ruin Delver's Fortune, Greater Blink, Empyreal Ecstasy, Allegro, War Cry, and of course Inspirational Boost are all great battle-bard spells.

29. - Top - End - #29

RogueGuy

Gaining Sneak Attack would help too, right? 1 level of Rogue or Spellthief might hurt casting, but with 1D6+Level in extra damage from Sneak Attack + the Craven feat, the damage can go up rapidly.

Maybe there's some Bard-Rogue multiclassing feat too? Master Spellthief doesn't seem as good for a Bard/Spellthief as for a Wizard/Spellthief, but it aint bad either.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    Gaining Sneak Attack would help too, right? 1 level of Rogue or Spellthief might hurt casting, but with 1D6+Level in extra damage from Sneak Attack + the Craven feat, the damage can go up rapidly.

Maybe there's some Bard-Rogue multiclassing feat too? Master Spellthief doesn't seem as good for a Bard/Spellthief as for a Wizard/Spellthief, but it aint bad either.
    Sneak Attack is less useful than Dragonfire Inspiration, and provides a similar effect. And I don't know of a Bard/Rogue multiclassing feat (along the lines of Daring Outlaw, I presume) and I don't think Master Spellthief advances SA either.
    No levelled malice
    Leaving no track behind.