New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default I've asked this before, but now my DMG is confusing me.

hey everybody,

a while back I got on here and asked if the +x in magic armor applied to AC
    for example
    a +3 breastplate of etherealness.

and I was given the answer "no, it does not, its merely a price guide"

but as I was reading my DMG II today (I don't recall which page and my book is not on me)

there was a line that basically amounted to
    the ehancement bonus (that +3 on the breastplate) DOES apply to AC

so now I"m confused

does magic armor provide more protection than normal or not?

HELP!!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: I've asked this before, but now my DMG is confusing me.

Yes magic armor does provide additional protection equal to the numerical bonus. So given your example of the +3 breastplate of etherealness the "+3" portion is added to your AC, and the equivalent bonus for the etherealness enhancement is added to an "effective AC" for the purpose of determining the price.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Er...not entirely sure what the question orients around ...but lets see it in its most basic form, assuming no Dexterity bonus just for simplicity sake...

+3 Breastplate of Etherealness.

Base AC: 10
    Breast Plate : +5
    Magic : +3

Final AC : 18

Does this answer you question?

If its a question on touch attacks the magic provides an enhancement to the AC bonus which, in general, physical armor does not help against.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I think I answered your question, and didn't mean to mislead you.

A magic plus does add to your AC, but the pluses listed in the special ability descriptions are used to check the price table.

For example, a +2 reflecting heavy shield gives +4 AC (+2 for being a heavy shield, +2 for the enchantment) but costs the same as a +7 shield would (since reflecting adds 5 to the effective plus used to determine price).
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2011-01-09 at 10:52 PM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

You are probably confusing two different things.

First, all magical armor has some enhancement bonus. Armor must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus in order to have any other enchantment at all. (The highest an enhancement bonus may go, if the armor is not epic, is +5.)

Enhancement bonuses add to the armor's AC. For example, chainmail has an armor bonus of 5; a suit of chainmail +3 will have an armor bonus of 5+3=8.

Second, certain types of armor enchantments are given in terms of a "bonus value," which is used to calculate the price of the enchanted armor. For example, the light fortification enchantment is equal to a +1 bonus. If that same suit of chainmail +3 were instead a suit of light fortification chainmail +3, we would calculate its price using the sum of all the bonuses -- the +3 enhancement bonus +1 for light fortification.

On the other hand, some enchantments do not have a bonus value; they have a straight gp value, instead. Etherealness is one such enchantment: it will increase the cost of armor by +49,000 gp.

If you have found a +3 breastplate of etherealness, it has a +3 enhancement bonus, for a total AC 8 (5 from a regular breastplate +3 enhancement), and also allows the wearer to become ethereal once per day, for as long as desired.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by olelia View Post
    Er...not entirely sure what the question orients around ...but lets see it in its most basic form, assuming no Dexterity bonus just for simplicity sake...

+3 Breastplate of Etherealness.

Base AC: 10
    Breast Plate : +5
    Magic : +3

Final AC : 18

Does this answer you question?
    yes, yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    I think I answered your question, and didn't mean to mislead you.

A magic plus does add to your AC, but the pluses listed in the special ability descriptions are used to check the price table.

For example, a +2 reflecting heavy shield gives +4 AC (+2 for being a heavy shield, +2 for the enchantment) but costs the same as a +7 shield would (since reflecting adds 5 to the effective plus used to determine price).
    ah, in that case I must have just misunderstood your answer

thanks everybody!