New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Defeating Blindsight

I'm joining a game where we are all playing dragons, and wanting to be the sneaky bastard of the group. I'm playing a Copper dragon, and we are starting at ECL 18, going into the epic level ranges.

So I'm looking for a way to beat blindsight. Is there a feat or feat tree that allows Hide/Move Silently to function against blindsight? I thought there was, but was not able to find it anywhere.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Defeating Blindsight

I believe you want Darkstalker from... Lords of Madness?
    Last edited by Smeggedoff; 2011-01-10 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spelling
    Spoiler: Games I'm a part of
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Darkstalker from Lord of Madness. Negates Scent, Blindsense/sight, Tremorsense. They need to make the appropriate Spot/Listen check to find you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Darkstalker, from Lords of Madness, is exactly what you're looking for.

Edit: an entire cadre of swordsages!
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2011-01-10 at 12:54 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Thanks a bunch guys!
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Since you've already got your answer, I'd like to add something. If you really want to be the sneak guy of the group, I'd suggest picking up a continuous version of a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. It is only 22k (very affordable for your ECL), and bestows the Dark Template. Both can be found in Tome of Magic, pages 156 and 161 respectively.

Among other things, the Dark template grants you Hide in Plain Sight, +8 to Hide, and +6 to Move Silently.

This will make you extremely difficult to find.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-01-10 at 01:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Since you've already got your answer, I'd like to add something. If you really want to be the sneak guy of the group, I'd suggest picking up a continuous version of a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis. It is only 22k (very affordable for your ECL), and bestows the Dark Template. Both can be found in Tome of Magic, pages 156 and 161 respectively.

Among other things, the Dark template grants you Hide in Plain Sight, +8 to Hide, and +6 to Move Silently.

This will make you extremely difficult to find.
    Second that, it's a very nice item. Boosts your speed by 10ft too
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    Darkstalker from Lord of Madness. Negates Scent, Blindsense/sight, Tremorsense. They need to make the appropriate Spot/Listen check to find you.
    Darkstalker does not negate scent, Gwaeron's Boots for 6000 gp does. It also gives you pass without trace.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    Darkstalker does not negate scent, Gwaeron's Boots for 6000 gp does. It also gives you pass without trace.
    heh...boots that erase scent...sorry, just thought it was funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Esser-Z View Post
    We can peform: dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because your friends don't perform: Dance and if they don't perform: dance, well, they're no friends of mine!
    Awesome avatar by Ninjaman!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, it really does. As seen here. So while 6k gp is really almost not worth mentioning at ECL 18, it is quite literally a wasted money if you have the feat in question.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Smeggedoff View Post
    I believe you want Darkstalker from... Lords of Madness?
    DING DONG. Winner on the first go.

Best part is there's no requirements, you just get it and it's awesome right out of the box.
    The Super Special Awesome Yiuel made my very manly Avatar
    The Great Steam Golem, Blitzcrank!

He really has a heart of gold...encased in a framework of iron...in a carapace of steel.

12. - Top - End - #12

First, darkstalker does not erase scent, otherwise I would not need those boots for my beguiler. Second, you can upgrade magic items so it is not just a 6k item in ECL 18, it is a 6-9K upgrade to some boots.
    Spoiler
    Show

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

13. - Top - End - #13

First, darkstalker does not erase scent, otherwise I would not need those boots for my beguiler. Second, you can upgrade magic items so it is not just a 6k item in ECL 18, it is a 6-9K upgrade to some boots.
    Unfortunately Darkstalker does negate scent. I'd really like there to be something that beats it (other than touchsight, which is questionable itself).

I quote (from the book):
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstalker
    Benefit: When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you.
    Last edited by Tael; 2011-01-10 at 10:43 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Well, it doesn't erase scent... you could still be tracked using scent, just not automatically detected by it, per mechanics.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tael View Post
    Unfortunately Darkstalker does negate scent. I'd really like there to be something that beats it (other than touchsight, which is questionable itself).

I quote (from the book):
    Lifesense, I believe, smashes it to bits. Something from Libris mortis or heroes of horror. either way, it's undead only and has other requirements that I don't know right now
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I provided the handy link for you and Tael was kind enough to quote the actual feat for you from LoM. If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So Darkstalker actually removes BO in addition to being awesome? Sounds like something the typical adventurer could use.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by poignant123 View Post
    So Darkstalker actually removes BO in addition to being awesome? Sounds like something the typical adventurer could use.
    Darkstalker doesn't remove anything; it just tones things down to the point where an opponent has to work at detecting what's left.

19. - Top - End - #19

I pulled out the darkstalker feat and my Dm pulled out the tracking through scent, you still leave a trail just not strong enough to alert people to your presence.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

I pulled out the darkstalker feat and my Dm pulled out the tracking through scent, you still leave a trail just not strong enough to alert people to your presence.
    Which is fine for your game, but that does not make your former statement true for D&D at large. It's a houserule, plain and simple.

Also, I believe it can be detected by Lifesense, touchsight, and whatever that one is that works through telepathy. The name escapes me at the minute, but I believe many people had the issue that there is no way of hiding from it.
    Thanks, Telasi for the spectacular OotSatar!

Currently playing:
    In Debbie D's awesome "The Three Goddesses" game -Ireth, the shyest nymph you'll ever meet, bardic servant of the goddess of love.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

So what are you saying? That the feat doesn't work the way it was written because your DM houseruled it?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

if you aren't afraid of dipping a level, the warlock's invocation Entropic Warding specifically states that it won't let you be tracked by scent, though it won't work in anti-magic fields. And if that's the case, your DM hates you.
    Last edited by Halae; 2011-01-10 at 11:41 AM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

23. - Top - End - #23

Darkstalker stops them from going, what is that smell? It does not stop being tracked down... they have to work at it...

What I am saying is While Darkstalker prevents you from being detected it does not stop anyone from using scent to track you down later. You can rob them of the +5 bonus to their search check (using scent) and stop the "I see your footprints in the snow."
    Last edited by quiet1mi; 2011-01-10 at 12:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    Lifesense, I believe, smashes it to bits. Something from Libris mortis or heroes of horror. either way, it's undead only and has other requirements that I don't know right now
    Lifesense isn't undead-only; it's actually NO CON SCORE-only. The big limitation with Lifesense and undead is that a simple 1st-level Cleric spell renders it useless if they fail their save: Hide from Undead. So your surroundings may appear lit up by life energy, but you're still incapable of detecting or locating the creatures generating that light (unless you succeed on the Will save). You can attack into illuminated squares blindly (over 400 squares illuminated by each source of life energy), with a 50% miss chance if you guess right.

No, the risk isn't from Lifesense with undead; it's from Lifesense with constructs. That's hard to get around.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    No, the risk isn't from Lifesense with undead; it's from Lifesense with constructs. That's hard to get around.
    All the better to KILL ALL HUMANS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    All the better to KILL ALL HUMANS!
    If only for the reason of "OMFG! turn off that friggen light!"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

I think we have answered the OP question on defeating blindsight...
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Do watch about Mindsight from the Mindbender, Touchsight, and Lifesense from LM - Darkstalker won't protect you from that.