New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Tactics: A sequel to ToB [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    What about something similar to the Wild Cohort feat? (I'd fetch a link but I'm feeling lazy)
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather keep it based on the paladin mount than the druid animal companion. I could reduce the extra HD and natural armor by 1 like they did for Wild Cohort, but I don't think it's necessary.

Anyone have any comments on the Soldier and the Firebrand? Just to have gone through each of the base classes?
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Same problems. Dead levels. cool abilities, but dead levels. Firebrand is better, but soldier dosnt really have an abilites... Make the Soldier awesome, cool and just totally kick ass.

For inspiration, read Frank and Ks tomes. It wont be the same as they did something different, but thats how cool it should be. You got a good bassi though.

Firbrand... Maybe a dose of bardic music once in awhile? Follow me is similar but different, I like it.

3. - Top - End - #33

Added some more abilities to the Soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    Firbrand... Maybe a dose of bardic music once in awhile? Follow me is similar but different, I like it.
    I gave it another similar ability; he can now grant his allies the ability to rage to increasing degrees a number of times a day. It also gains a bonus feat and Charisma skill bonuses.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Very nice. I like it. Seems well scaled, and great idea with the soldiers calm ability.
    Seems like every class only has about 5-6 dead levels. If you can get rid of those I would say the classes should be complete. (If you want to add to huntsman thats fine =)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

But... ToB had dead levels too. :P

6. - Top - End - #36

Very nice. I like it. Seems well scaled, and great idea with the soldiers calm ability.
    Thanks.
    Seems like every class only has about 5-6 dead levels. If you can get rid of those I would say the classes should be complete. (If you want to add to huntsman thats fine =)
    The original Tome of Battle classes have around seven dead levels each and I tried to position mine so that you were getting a maneuver and either a stance or a readied maneuver when you didn't get a class feature, so I think I'm comfortable with the number that they have now.

Thanks again for your feedback.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

This looks interesting, I've only skimmed it, but I like the soldier (but that's probably because I like primary melee classes and the setting sun discipline).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-02-26 at 05:51 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Right. But ideally nothing has dead levels. ;p
    Glad to give it. Hope you finish with those PrCs soon enough for me to play one in my current game.
    Once again, you accomplished something awesome here. Keep it up.

9. - Top - End - #39

Hope you finish with those PrCs soon enough for me to play one in my current game.
    Anything in particular you're looking for? I'm working on Blade Magician now, but haven't given much thought to the order after that. I only have a vague sense of what each one's going to be at this point.

Blade Magician
    • 10 levels, 3/4 BAB
    • use spells effectively in conjunction with maneuvers, gain an Su stance and some spell-like abilities
    • 9/10 casting (arcane or divine; both can qualify, as can Warlocks)
    • disciplines: Desert Wind, Master's Voice, Iron Rain

Force of Nature
    • Probably 10 levels, 3/4 BAB
    • advances Wildshaping, benefits while Wild Shaped
    • disciplines: Crashing Wave, Circling Vulture and Tiger Claw

Inspirational Commander (probably needs a new name)
    • Probably 10 levels, full BAB
    • stacks with bard and adept levels for inspire courage, gives other bardic music boosts
    • disciplines: Master's Voice and White Raven; maybe Wandering Eye

Master of Surprise
    • probably 10 levels, 3/4 BAB
    • focuses on ambushes and precision damage
    • gnome racial or trained by another one
    • disciplines: Life's Blood and Wandering Eye

Rider of Legend
    • probably 5 levels, full BAB
    • pretty much what it sounds like, extra abilities while mounted and for your mount
    • discipline: Twin Spirit

True Psychic Warrior
    • Probably 10 levels, full BAB
    • 8/10 psionic powers
    • at present, thinking sort of a psionic Master of the Empty Hand, psionically initiating maneuvers against opponents at a distance, but that might change
    • disciplines: Crashing Wave, Diamond Mind, Giant's Grip, Setting Sun

Though I'm considering doing a healing-centric one (disciplines: Life's Blood and Devoted Spirit) either instead of one of the above or just as a 9th prestige class.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Default Tome of Tactics / Chapter 4 / Blade Magician

TABLE 4-1: THE BLADE MAGICIAN__________HIT DIE : d6
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known|Spellcasting

1st|+0|
    |
    |
    |Blade Magic(Nothing up my sleeve), Elemental Mastery|
    |
    |
    |--

2nd|+1|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |
    |+1 level spellcasting class

3rd|+2|
    |
    |
    |Showmanship(Prestidigitation)|
    |
    |

4th|+3|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

5th|+3|
    |
    |
    |Blade Magic(Spotlight)|
    |
    |

6th|+4|
    |
    |
    |Three-card Shuffle, Showmanship(Escapology)|
    |
    |

7th|+5|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

8th|+6|
    |
    |
    |Showmanship(Rope Trick)|
    |
    |

9th|+6|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

10th|+7|
    |
    |
    |Blade Magic(Flourish)|
    |
    |

[/table]
    Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Knowledge(arcana), Martial Lore, Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot, Tumble, Use Rope

BLADE MAGICIAN
    Fire has ever been and may remain, the most terrible of the elements. So, to master it, along with the others, is a terrifying but ultimately glorious achievement.
    -- Nihy Dahourri, a blade magician
    While some call all aspects of the Sumblime Way "blade magic," there are a number of adepts who more fully integrate their magical training with their martial prowess. As this ability transcends the different types of magic (both arcane and divine casters may enter the class), it is difficult to ascribe a single combat style to blade magicians as a whole save to say that they more truly wield their spells as weapons than other spellcasters.

BECOMING A BLADE MAGICIAN
    The most common caster class to take levels in the blade magician class is the bard as they find the Showmanship abilities an asset to their performance, though all spellcasters, and even warlocks, can benefit from the class. Most of these will slightly sacrifice their spellcasting by taking levels in a martial adept class (usually crusader, firebrand, or swordsage) to meet the other requirements, notably the stance and ranks in Martial Lore, though some will do so through feats or alternate class features. Unlike the Jade Phoenix mage, one does not need to be born into this class; it is more of a profession than a destiny.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Knowledge(arcana) 8 ranks, Martial Lore 8 ranks
    Feats: Elemental Wind OR Energy Substitution
    Martial Maneuvers: Must know one martial maneuver
    Martial Stances: Must know one martial stance
    Special: Caster level 5th

CLASS FEATURES
    The blade magician class features focus on cultivating two separate aspects of magic: its destructive power in combat and its spectacle when performed before a crowd. The latter skillset leads some to underestimate blade magicians on the battlefield, but their maneuvers and stances make them effective, even when denied their spells.
    Spellcasting: At each blade magician level except first, the character gains new spells per day and known, if applicable, as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a blade magician, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.
    Maneuvers: At 2st, 4th, 7th and 9th level, you gain a new maneuver known from the Desert Wind, Iron Rain, or Master's Voice disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisites to learn it. You add your full blade magician levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At third, sixth, and ninth level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.
    Stances Known: At 4th and 8th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Desert Wind, Iron Rain, or Master's Voice disciplines. You must meet a stance's prerequisites to learn it.
    Blade Magic (Su): Having masters both magic and the sublime way, blade magicians learn to use one to enhance the other. Each Blade Magic ability allow you to either sacrifice a spell to gain a new means of attack or to use the spells as part of your attacks. The maximum level of spell you may use as part of your Blade Magic abilities is one fourth of your caster level, rounded down.
    Nothing up my sleeve: One of the signature abilities of a blade magician, you can create blades of magical energy. As a free action, you may expend a spell or spell slot to create a number of spell shards equal to your caster level which last for 1 round, can be drawn as a free action, and function like daggers except that they deal d4 damage times the level of the spell sacrificed and you do not add your Strength modifier to the damage roll. You also gain a bonus on attack rolls with the spell shards equal to the spell level. Damage done by the shards is the same as the type of damage done by the spell, if any, or slashing damage if the spell does not cause damage. You may not use the Arcane Strike feat in the same round that you use this ability.
    Spotlight: Beginning at fifth level, you may initiate any Iron Rain strike with an initiation time of one standard action as a full-round action, using a spell with the shape ray as your weapon instead of a physical ranged or thrown weapon.
    Flourish: At tenth level, you can cast a touch spell as part of a full attack action and each enemy you make a successful melee attack against is affected by the spell. The duration of the touch spell is changed to 1 round when used in this way, if it has a longer duration.
    Elemental Mastery: At first level, you gain either Elemental Wind or Energy Substitution as a bonus feat, whichever you don't already have, even if you don't meet the prerequisites. Additionally, you may use the Elemental Wind feat to change the damage type done by Desert Wind maneuvers to sonic damage instead of cold or electricity (check if damage or save changes) and to convert half the sonic damage done by a Master's Voice maneuver to cold, electricity, or fire.
    Showmanship: In addition to big, flashy spells and feats of magic, a blade magician also becomes more comforatable with smaller scale magic, able to cast certain spells more easily than other casters and, on occasional, learn to replicate some of his magical abilities using only mundane skill.
    Prestidigitation: You gain a bonus on Sleight of Hand checks equal to your blade magician level. You may also use prestidigitation as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to your casting stat modifier.
    Escapology: You gain a bonus on Escape Artist checks equal to your blade magician level. You may also use animare rope as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to your casting stat modifier.
    Rope Trick: You gain a bonus on Use Rope checks equal to your blade magician level. You may also use rope trick as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to your casting stat modifier.
    Three-card Shuffle (Su): Beginning at sixth level, you may expend a spell of at least 2nd level and forgo the benefits our your current stace as a swift action to gain the benefits of this stance. Two identical images of you appear in your choice of two squares adjacent to you and remain adjacent to you, moving as you do. While this stance is active, you may, as a swift action, create a blur of motion as you "shuffle" yourself between the images, with the end result being that you switch places with one of the images. You may not take a 5 ft step in the same round that you perform this "shuffle". If an enemy attacks one of the images, the image disappears and the attacker takes damage equal to d6 times the level of spell expended to assume this stance.

WARLOCKS AS BLADE MAGICIANS
    The blade magician prestige class is designed so that warlocks can qualify, but some of the class features need to be modified slightly to make sense in the context of an eldritch blast instead of spellcasting. When a warlock blade magician gains Elemental Mastery, he may reduce the damage done by his eldritch blast to change the damage type it does to any energy type. When using Blade Magic abilities, a warlock blade magician essentially uses an eldritch blast of half the damage he usually does instead of a spell of one quarter caster level. This is the damage done by his spell shards at first level, his eldritch blast used as a ray at fifth level and the amount he can channel through a full attack at tenth level. When he enters the Three-card Shuffle stance, a warlock blade magician reduces his eldritch blast by a number of d6 for the duration of the stance and an enemy that attacks one of the images takes damage equal to the amount by which he reduced it.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-06-04 at 07:32 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you familiar with the swordmage homebrew class? If so, how would this tie in? If not, Ill find it for you. (Im looking for anything Archer related. Looks like only the WoL will help.)

12. - Top - End - #42

Are you familiar with the swordmage homebrew class? If so, how would this tie in? If not, Ill find it for you. (Im looking for anything Archer related. Looks like only the WoL will help.)
    Not familiar with swordmage, so I would appreciate the link. The only ranged prestige class I was planning to include is Trick Marksman and I did that one already.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Linky
    As requested. Late though, sorry.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Tactics / Chapter 3 / New Disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by playswithfire View Post
    CIRCLING VULTURE[/b][/size]
    Circling Vulture is occasionally derided by martial adepts who do not practice it as being the thief's combat style. given that one of its primary tactics is the taking of weapons and other items from one's enemies. As a speedy getaway is the usual follow-up, it is practiced most efficiently by the flying races, each of whom also attempt to lay claim to developing the Circling Vulture discipline. Most agree that the true founder of the discipline was a famous raptoran master thief, however.
    The discipline's associated skill is Sleight of Hand and its weapons are the claw, nunchaku, sai, unarmed strike, and whip.
    With the description above I don't understand why this can be on the crusader Discipline list.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

15. - Top - End - #45

Default Re: Tome of Tactics / Chapter 3 / New Disciplines

Linky
    As requested. Late though, sorry.
    Interesting class. I guess given the different math for caster level, etc, I'd let a swordmage substitute 3rd level incantations for caster level 5th when meeting the prerequisites and it would gain new incantations at 2nd-10th instead of new spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    With the description above I don't understand why this can be on the crusader Discipline list.
    This is another instance of me writing and rewriting and the end result not making sense. Circling Vulture used to be Defanged Cobra, which was focused on disarming and nonlethal damage instead of theft-flavored disarming and flying, and thus fit a bit better for the Crusader. I'll remove Circling Vulture from the Crusader swap list.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-03-02 at 08:38 PM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough, it wasn't the nme that threw me off but the general style of the maneuvers.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

17. - Top - End - #47

Default Tome of Tactics / Chapter 4 / War Leader

TABLE 4-8: THE WAR LEADER__________HIT DIE : d10
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|+1|
    |
    |
    |Rally the Troops 1/day, Rousing Speech|
    |
    |

2nd|+2|
    |
    |
    |Song of the War Leader|
    |
    |

3rd|+3|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

4th|+4|
    |
    |
    |Forged in my Image|
    |
    |

5th|+5|
    |
    |
    |Rally the Troops 2/day|
    |
    |

6th|+6|
    |
    |
    |Bolster Spirits|
    |
    |

7th|+7|
    |
    |
    |Rousing Speech (Run Them Ragged)|
    |
    |

8th|+8|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

9th|+9|
    |
    |
    |Rally the Troops 3/day|
    |
    |

10th|+10|
    |
    |
    |Forged in my Image (completely)|
    |
    |

[/table]
    Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Perform, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble

WAR LEADER
    It is the foolish soldier, and the more foolish general, who believes that they brought victory on their own. Though one man may lead, he is only as good as those who follow him.
    -- Zuntus, a war leader
    War leaders will be found wherever there is conflict, whether as part of a declared war or leading a group of outlaws in a raid. While any martial adept with access to the White Raven discipline can be considered an effective commander, war leaders excel as few others can. A group of otherwise unimpressive warriors under the command of a war leader become a force to be reckoned with, as they become Forged in his Image and receive other boots to their combat abilities.

BECOMING A WAR LEADER
    This class is for those who wish to lead others into battle while contributing greatly themselves. Most war leaders start of as bards, though some are harmonious knights of Milil or spellcasters with levels in the prestige bard class, as the ability to inspire courage is one of the requirements. From there, some will meet the martial requirements through feats, though, since the war leader class does not progress spellcasting, most take levels in the martial adept classes with access to White Raven instead. The crusader, firebrand, and warblade each offer that access and access to at least one of the other war leader disciplines.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Perform(oratory) 8 ranks, Bluff 4 ranks, Dimplomacy or Intimidate 4 ranks
    Feats: Endurance
    Martial Maneuvers: Must know one maneuver from the Master's Voice, Wandering Eye or White Raven discipline
    Martial Stances: Must know one stance from the Master's Voice, Wandering Eye or White Raven discipline
    Special: Able to use the inspire courage ability

CLASS FEATURES
    A war leader, as the name implies, is primarily a leader of men and the class features reflect that, as they focus on improving the combat abilities of his allies. Apart from that, war leaders can have almost any combat style, the only unifying qualities being the martial disciplines they have access to and a tendency to stay within earshot of their allies.
    Maneuvers: At each odd level, you gain a new maneuver known from the Master's Voice, Wandering Eye or White Raven disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisites to learn it. You add your full war leader levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At second, sixth, and tenth level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.
    Stances Known: At fourth and eighth level, you learn a new martial stance from the Master's Voice, Wandering Eye or White Raven disciplines. You must meet a stance's prerequisites to learn it.
    Rally the Troops (Su): A war leader is only as good as the men who follow him, so it is in his interest to make them as effective as possible. At 1st, 5th and 9th level, a war leader gains an additional use of his inspire courage ability. war leader levels stack with bard levels for the purposes of determining the bonus it provides, but not for any other bardic music abilities.
    Rousing Speech (Su): A war leader gains the ability to use Rousing Speech as a firebrand whose level is equal to his war leader level +2. If he already has levels in the firebrand class, those levels stack to determine his effective firebrand level. For example, a Bard 2/Firebrand 4/war leader 4 would be treated as a 10th level firebrand and able to use Rousing Speech twice a day and be able to use both the Fervor and Rage abilities as long he meets the minimum Perform ranks for the latter.
    Run Them Ragged: Beginning at seventh level, you can expend a use of your bardic music ability as a standard action to begin a rousing speech. If you do, the effect lasts for as long as you sing instead of the standard number of round, but, if an ally is affected for longer than they would normally be capable, they are exhausted instead of fatigued when the effect ends.
    Song of the War Leader: At second level, a war leader gains the Song of the White Raven feat. If he already has this feat, the bonus granted by his inspire courage bardic music ability instead increases by one. Additionally, he can use inspire courage as a swift action when in a Master's Voice or Wandering Eye stance in addition to when in a White Raven stance.
    Forged in my Image (Ex): In time, a war leader's followers learn to fight as he does, to take their strength from him, and thus achieve victory. Beginning at fourth level, a war leader can forgo the benefits of his current stance to grant his allies a number of temporary hit points equal to twice his initiator level. The hit points expire when the war leader changes his stance.
    Completely: At tenth level, when a war leader forgoes the benefits of his stance, his allies' base attack bonus become equal to the war leader's initiator level, if that is higher.
    Bolster Spirits (Ex): A war leader must keep his followers motivated, even in the face of danger and their own fears. Beginning at sixth level, a war leader can grant an ally other than himself a bonus on a Will save equal to his Charisma modifier.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-04-02 at 07:51 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Circling Vulture is an odd mix... I would consider "Snatching Eagle" or "Thieving Magpie" to convey this mix better. The 8th level stance should maybe only grant Poor maneuverability if your Dex is low enough... maybe 10 as the break-point?

In any case I will probably add a note to my Wing Dragons regarding it.... or maybe not, since it seems we can't edit threads that old any more.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2011-03-21 at 07:12 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Circling Vulture is an odd mix... I would consider "Snatching Eagle" or "Thieving Magpie" to convey this mix better. The 8th level stance should maybe only grant Poor maneuverability if your Dex is low enough... maybe 10 as the break-point?

In any case I will probably add a note to my Wing Dragons regarding it.... or maybe not, since it seems we can't edit threads that old any more.
    Yeah, Circling Vulture probably got rewritten more than any of the others. It used to be a disarming/unarmed damage discipline called Defanged Cobra, but I wanted a discipline that granted/enhanced flying so I could have land, sea and air disciplines for Force of Nature, so I refluffed the disarming as theft and adding the flying. I think that was when I added the natural attack one, too. I considered a couple different birds, but settled on Vulture probably based on the second definition here. though I may have to consider Snatching Eagle.

Tweaked the stance as you suggested; you're right, there should definitely be the possibility of poor maneuverability.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Default Tome of Tactics / Chapter 4 / Master of Surprise

TABLE 4-4: THE MASTER OF SURPRISE__________HIT DIE : d8
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|+1|
    |
    |
    |Surprise(+1d6), Misdirection|
    |
    |

2nd|+2|
    |
    |
    |It's a Trap!|
    |
    |

3rd|+3|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

4th|+4|
    |
    |
    |Surprise(+2d6, versatile)|
    |
    |

5th|+5|
    |
    |
    |Misdirection(swift), Ambush|
    |
    |

6th|+6|
    |
    |
    |trapfinding|
    |
    |

7th|+7|
    |
    |
    |Surprise(+3d6)|
    |
    |

8th|+8|
    |
    |
    |-|
    |
    |

9th|+9|
    |
    |
    |Ambush (full round)|
    |
    |

10th|+10|
    |
    |
    |Surprise(+4d6,critical)|
    |
    |

[/table]
    Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Balance, Bluff, Craft, Disable Device, Heal, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, Tumble

MASTER OF SURPRISE
    When presented with an enemy, whether one man or an encampment, that others believe can not be attacked, I take it as a challenge to either find their weakness or create one.
    -- Blanihan, a master of surprise
    Some regard masters of surprise as nothing more than sneaks who lie in wait and attack without provocation and there are a few who live up to that reputation. Most of them, however, are master tacticians serving with honor in their respective militaries, working to ensure quick victories that risk as few of their comrades as possible. As such, masters of surprise can be found almost anywhere, from a battlefield to a dark alleyway to a city's constable office.

BECOMING A MASTER OF SURPRISE
    As the concept of the surprise attack is a tactic that all martial classes can appreciate, the master of surprise class is appealing to many, though it favors those who use the Sublime Way to enhance their ability to deal precision damage. The majority of masters of surprise begin as mercenaries, as this class provides all of the prerequisites. The rest begin as rogues, scouts, or ninjas to gain the necessary bonus damage. From there, they either take the feats necessary to meet the martial requirements or take levels in another martial adept class; the huntsman, swordsage, and warblade are the most common choices.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Bluff 8 ranks, Heal 8 ranks, Hide 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks
    Martial Maneuvers: Must know one 2nd-level Life's Blood or Wandering Eye maneuver, one Life's Blood maneuver of any level, and one Wandering Eye maneuver of any level.
    Special: Skirmish, sneak attack, or sudden strike 1d6
    Special: Must be a gnome or trained by another master of surprise

CLASS FEATURES
    As a master of surprise, you learn both the tactics that allow you to catch an enemy unaware and how to deal greater damage when you do so. The Misdirection and Ambush class features allow you to sculpt the battlefield into the shape that most benefits you. On the rare occasions when that fails, you can always regroup and relocate to a new battlefield which you have covered with traps of your own devising and try again.
    Maneuvers: At each odd level, you gain a new maneuver known from the Life's Blood or Wandering Eye disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisites to learn it. You add your full master of surprise levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At second, sixth, and tenth level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.
    Stances Known: At fourth and eighth level, you learn a new martial stance from the Life's Blood or Wandering disciplines. You must meet a stance's prerequisites to learn it.
    Surprise (Ex): A master of surprise learns how to strike when and where his opponents least expect it. At 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th level, a master of surprise gains an additional d6 of skirmish, sneak attack, or sudden strike. He may select a different type of damage each time and does not have to already have a source of that damage type to select it.
    Versatile: Beginning at 4th level, a master of surprise can adjust the ratio of the different types of precision damage he deals, changing each d6 of skirmish, sneak attack, or sudden strike to any of the three, as a swfit action. The ratio remains the same until he changes it again.
    Critical: At 10th level, when a master of surprise confirms a critical hit, he adds two points of damage for each d6 of precison damage he has in addition to the normal multiplied damage for a critical hit.
    Misdirection (Ex): The simplest way to make an attack a surprise is to force the target look somewhere else. At 1st level, a master of surprise gains the Improved Feint feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
    Swift: At 5th level, a master of surprise can feint as a swift action. Additionally, he may attempt to make the Bluff check apply to more than one attack by taking a penalty on the check equal to four times the number of extra attacks he wants it to apply to.
    It's a Trap! (Ex): Suprise need not come in the form of an attack; a well=crafted and well-placed trap can serve just as well. A master of surprise learns both how to place them and how to avoid those set by others. Beginning at 2nd level, a master of surprise gains a bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps equal to half his master of surprise level. This is similar to and stacks with the Trap Sense ability. He gains a bonus of the same amount on Craft(trapmaking) and Disable Device checks.
    Ambush (Ex): The ambush - the ability to emerge, strike, and move on - is one of the oldest and most effective forms of the surprise attack. At 5th level, a master of surprise gains Spring Attack as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites and and can initiate a strike with an initiation time of a standard action when making a spring attack, instead of a single attack.
    Full round: At 9th level, you may initiate a strike with an initiation time of a full round as part your spring attack instead.
    Trapfinding (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, a master of surprise can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20, as the rogue class feature of the same name. If he already has this ability, he instead gains a +5 bonus on Search checks made to find traps.
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-04-02 at 07:51 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

I would break the 'special' prerequisite in two.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I would break the 'special' prerequisite in two.
    You're right; that is much cleaner; not sure why I didn't do that initially unless I was thinking there could only be one 'special' line, which isn't true. Thanks.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

For the Master of Surprise, under skills, you have the "x4 at first level" under skills. Just a heads up
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Just letting you know, I kind of went on a spree and printed off every discipline (with associated maneuvers) and class in this book. They look fantastic, and I'm certainly going to use them lots in the future. I'll cite you whenever I use it. Thank you very much.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Do you need two maneuvers minimum, or three?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by jguy View Post
    For the Master of Surprise, under skills, you have the "x4 at first level" under skills. Just a heads up
    Heh, thanks; looking back, it's on all of them. I think I used the same template for prestige classes as base classes. I'll fix that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by YouLostMe View Post
    Just letting you know, I kind of went on a spree and printed off every discipline (with associated maneuvers) and class in this book. They look fantastic, and I'm certainly going to use them lots in the future. I'll cite you whenever I use it. Thank you very much.
    Glad you like it. Let me know how it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Do you need two maneuvers minimum, or three?
    For master of surprise, three. I know it's a little unclear, but I think I mirrored Shadow Sun Ninja for those requirements.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Was looking over your Mercenary class, since I am playing it in a real life game and will be leveling soon, and I noticed something. You have some a couple horrible dead levels.

From level 4 to 5, all you are getting is 1 extra readied maneuver and a d8 hip point boost. No bonus to saves, no BAB, no special ability, no new maneuvers. Just hit points and 1 extra readied maneuver. I dread that level.

Same thing happens at 12 to 13 level progression. No saves, no BAB, no maneuvers.

I suggest moving Evasion from level 6 to level 5 since level 6 has a bonus to just about everything. More BAB. more saves, and a new maneuver.

Moving Deep Pain to level 13 is another suggestion for that dead level because once again at level 14 you get a bonus to just about everything.

If you wish to keep these abilities where they are, I suggest coming up with a new ability to put in place of these dead levels. A bonus feat, a minor bonus to certain things, anything is better then absolutely nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by jguy View Post
    Was looking over your Mercenary class, since I am playing it in a real life game and will be leveling soon, and I noticed something. You have some a couple horrible dead levels.

From level 4 to 5, all you are getting is 1 extra readied maneuver and a d8 hip point boost. No bonus to saves, no BAB, no special ability, no new maneuvers. Just hit points and 1 extra readied maneuver. I dread that level.

Same thing happens at 12 to 13 level progression. No saves, no BAB, no maneuvers.

I suggest moving Evasion from level 6 to level 5 since level 6 has a bonus to just about everything. More BAB. more saves, and a new maneuver.

Moving Deep Pain to level 13 is another suggestion for that dead level because once again at level 14 you get a bonus to just about everything.

If you wish to keep these abilities where they are, I suggest coming up with a new ability to put in place of these dead levels. A bonus feat, a minor bonus to certain things, anything is better then absolutely nothing.
    Took a look and you're right; those levels were pretty bad. And thanks for the suggestions; I shifted evasion and deep pain (full) as you said. It does work better that way. Thanks for the feedback and I hope the mercenary works out well for you.

Other thoughts/updates, since I'm posting.
    Took a quick look at the other classes and didn't see any other levels that were quite that dead. Anyone who does, please feel free to correct me.

In working on Rider of Legend (which will hopefully be finished this weekend) which advances either a Special Mount or an animal companion large enough to ride, I'm considering changing the Huntsman's special mount to grant bonus HD, Str/Dex, and tricks as if you were a druid of half your huntsman level, but gain the specials I mention in huntsman instead of the standard ones at levels based on effective druid level* which would allow the huntsman to benefit from this and other prestige classes, feats, etc that use druid level as the metric for animal companion and allow a huntsman willing to spend the feats on it to end up with a powerful animal companion.

* something like
    {table=head]Effective Druid Level|Special
    1st |Link
    2nd-4th|Share Boosts
    5th-7th|Multiattack
    8th-10th|Share Stances[/table]
    Last edited by playswithfire; 2011-04-12 at 05:59 AM.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

Default Tome of Tactics / Chapter 4 / Rider of Legend

TABLE 4-5: THE RIDER OF LEGEND__________HIT DIE : d10

1st|+1|
    |
    |
    |Mount|
    |
    |

2nd|+2|
    |
    |
    |Horsemanship (Pole-bending)|
    |
    |

3rd|+3|
    |
    |
    |Horse And Rider As One|
    |
    |

4th|+4|
    |
    |
    |Horsemanship (Jumping)|
    |
    |

5th|+5|
    |
    |
    |Mounted Full Attack|
    |
    |

[/table]
    Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Balance, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Ride, Tumble

RIDER OF LEGEND
    I've been scared before plenty of battles, but I was scare the first time I met this two-thousand pound beast, too, and today he's a part of me, because I faced that fear. As I've faced every battle since.
    -- Wenja Hony, a rider of legend
    As the name implies, a rider of legend is one who fights with the assistance of an animal that lets him ride it. Most commonly, this animal will be a horse and the names of some class features reflect that, but riders of legend have been spotted astride practically all creatures of the land, sea, and even air. As the class provides combat benefits to both rider and moutn, not least through access to the Twin Spirit discipline, most riders of legend are found serving in the cavalry regiments of various armies. A small number, however, use their skills for personal gain, either as a private protection service or by being the thieves others need protection from.

BECOMING A RIDER OF LEGEND
    The most common entry path to the rider of legend class is with at least a few levels in either the huntsman class or the crusader class with the cavalryman variant, as each of these provide both the martial maneuvers and the bonded animal necessary to meet the requirements. The remainder tend to be rangers and druids have either taken feats to learn the necessary stance or multiclassed to warblade.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Base Attack Bonus: 5+
    Skills: Ride 8 ranks
    Feats: Ride-By Attack
    Martial Stances: Must know one Twin Spirit stance
    Special: Must have a bonded animal (either an Animal Companion large enough to ride or a Special Mount, as the paladin class feature)

CLASS FEATURES
    As a rider of legend, you move around the battlefield at the greater pace afforded you by the mount who fights with you. Where others have their tactical choices reduced by most animals' tendency to move in straight lines while bearing a rider, riders of legend find a freedom and even greater opportunities for attack when seated on their mounts. And under the guidance of their rider, the mounts gain new tactics as well.
    Maneuvers: At each odd level, you gain a new maneuver known from the Twin Spirit discipline. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisites to learn it. You add your full rider of legend levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At second and fourth level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.
    Stances Known: At third level, you learn a new martial stance from the Twin Spirit discipline. You must meet a stance's prerequisites to learn it.
    Mount (Ex): You either add your rider of legend levels to your druid level to determine the abilities or your animal companion or to your paladin level to determine the abilities of your special mount.
    Horsemanship (Ex): The true hallmark or a rider of legend is not how he can fight, but how he can control and work with the animal he rides.
    Pole-bending: Beginning at 2nd level, while charging, a rider of legend can make a number of 45 degree turns up to the dexterity modifier of his bonded animal. Each turn consumes 10 feet of movement and he must move at least 5 feet between turns.
    Jumping: Beginning at 4th level, a rider of legend's mount can attack while leaping over an enemy up to one size category smaller than it is. If it succeeds on the Jump check (DC based on enemy size, listed below), the mount may make a single attack with each of its natural attacks against that enemy. Standard penalties for attacking with multiple natural weapons apply.
    {table=head]Enemy Size|Jump DC

Fine|

Diminutive|

Tiny|

Small|

Medium|

Large|

Huge|

Gargantuan|

[/table]
    Horse And Rider As One (Ex): At third level, you gain the Horse and Rider tactical feat. Additionally, when using its Rear Up tactical maneuver, you may also make a single melee attack against one opponent within range. You gain a bonus on the attack roll equal to the result of your Ride check divided by 10.
    Mounted Full Attack (Ex): At fifth level, when you make a mounted charge, you may make a full attack so long as your mount's movement does not exceed a single move action. When making use of Horse and Rider's Mounted Strike tactical maneuver, you may initiate a strike with an initiation time of one full round instead of a standard action under the same movement restrictions.
    Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

this is absolutely wonderful! I just love it.