New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Dread Necromancers and Walkers in the Waste...

I have a character who is both classes. The main question I have is: when you've turned into the effective lich for one of the classes, what happens to you when you reach the final level of the other class?
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Dread Necromancers and Walkers in the Waste...

Regular template stacking rules would apply I guess.

Though at that point the game is epic level and nothing works as it is supposed to anyway.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    Regular template stacking rules would apply I guess.
    Which means that only the first 'lich' would apply, as lich can only be applied to humanoids. The first transformation changes your type to Undead, and you don't qualify for the second?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    I have a character who is both classes. The main question I have is: when you've turned into the effective lich for one of the classes, what happens to you when you reach the final level of the other class?
    You're in Epic and have had to dip a Divine class for access to WitW anyway? Seriously, you're at least level 31 by that point.

On topic, one template disqualifies you from the other, so finish WitW first, Dry Liches are better than standard ones.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    You're in Epic and have had to dip a Divine class for access to WitW anyway? Seriously, you're at least level 31 by that point.

On topic, one template disqualifies you from the other, so finish WitW first, Dry Liches are better than standard ones.
    On the topic of you saying I would have to dip into a divine class to acces WitW, that is in fact a no. I'm just using feat loopholes to give me access to WitW. :D

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfFighterGuy

On the topic of you saying I would have to dip into a divine class to acces WitW, that is in fact a no. I'm just using feat loopholes to give me access to WitW. :D
    Alright, minimum of lvl 30 then.

Either way you can only have one, so pick the one you want the most and make sure you get that first. Or, as this IS epic levels and the rules don't matter anymore, talk to the DM about maybe allowing you to apply both, where you get all the strengths and weaknesses of both, using the biggest modifier in case of stacking.
    Last edited by Choco; 2011-01-25 at 02:53 PM.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

What feat loopholes are you using to pull this off?
    SnakePirate avatar by CheesePirate

Running Emerald City Knights (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Translation: when Bahamut called "Dibs!" on your soul the devils sat back down, muttering under their breaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricksyAndFalse View Post
    4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    I think we can all agree that optimizing a Beholder Mage beyond being a Beholder Mage is safely in the realm of "overkill" to begin with.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Uncertainty about whether you're a lich or a dry lich?

Schrödinger's Lich is what happens.
    Last edited by some guy; 2011-01-25 at 07:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    What feat loopholes are you using to pull this off?
    Southern Magician or Alternate Source Spell would be my guesses. It just says you need to be able to cast three spells from the domains as divine spells; it does not say you actually need the domains themselves.

@ OP: No dawg, you cannot put lich in your lich so you can lich while you lich.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Southern Magician or Alternate Source Spell would be my guesses. It just says you need to be able to cast three spells from the domains as divine spells; it does not say you actually need the domains themselves.

@ OP: No dawg, you cannot put lich in your lich so you can lich while you lich.
    Southern Magician and Arcane Disciple to be specific.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Southern Magician and Arcane Disciple to be specific.
    You don't actually need Arcane Disciple - your DN can simply pick up Parching Touch, Desiccate and Mass Desiccate through Advanced Learning, then cast them as divine spells with SM. As all three are on the Thirst Domain, you qualify for WitW.

The reason they want the spells rather than the domains is so that Druids can become Walkers as well.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2011-01-25 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Just to offer an alternative opinion, so you have some variety...

Double Lich! Same great Lich flavor, twice the Lich calories! You enjoy such benefits as 'Double Immortality' and 'Double Immunity to Effects That Require Fortitude Saves That Don't Also Affect Objects'. Your alignment obviously automatically shifts to Double Evil, as the double undeath you're experiencing double warps your very psyche.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post

Double Lich! Same great Lich flavor, twice the Lich calories! You enjoy such benefits as 'Double Immortality' and 'Double Immunity to Effects That Require Fortitude Saves That Don't Also Affect Objects'. Your alignment obviously automatically shifts to Double Evil, as the double undeath you're experiencing double warps your very psyche.
    Do you become Double vulnerable to positive energy? That'd be a big downside, though Double Healing from negative energy could make up for it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post

Does anything you touch become doubly paralyze and suffer 2d8 negative energy damage?

(Gah, now that question one of my little brothers asked is resurfacing..."Can Liches heal by touching themselves Valthy..."...get out of my head vile double entendre!)
    "Abase yourself before me, you groveling insect!"-Sutekh.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    Uncertainty about whether you're a lich or a dry lich?

Schrödinger's Lich is what happens.
    Even better, Schrodinger's Phylactery. Upon destruction, you never know which route the body is going to be reformed by. (wait.... no, they get brought back by both methods until they're observed in which case they end up being brought back by only one of the methods... meaning until they're observed there's two of 'em!?)
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-01-25 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide