New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default [3.5] Level-up advice

I'm currently playing a elf rogue in a party that doesn't include any fighters, only spellcasters. That leaves my character and a cleric getting in all the melee.
    I've taken TWF and Finesse and my high DEX helps me a lot.

It's now time for me to pick-up my next feat and unfortunately I cannot seem to decide.
    I don't have the necessary BAB for Improved TWF or for Staggering Strike. I'll be later getting Knowledge Devotion.
    Craven is not an option (I'm good and I don't think my DM would allow it).
    Improved Initiative may be a choice, but it seems to be very poor for a rogue feat.

Are there any other feats that you could suggest? (even non-melee feats that you could consider worth-taking)
    Is an Exotic weapon proficiency and a thinblade worth the feat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Level-up advice

Martial Study: Wolf Fang Strike?

Martial Study: Some Shadow Hand Maneuver, so you can take Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance and then Shadow Blade?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

My character's background and role is not very "compatible" with martial arts unfortunately. Also Daring Outlaw is ruled out, as I'm not interested in swashbuckling.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

What level are you now, and what feats do you already have? Are you considering to multiclass or PrC out?
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I just reached Rogue 6. I mentioned my feats at the first post: TWF and Weapon Finesse. Wis is my dump stat, Dex is my best.
    I don't think I'll be multiclassing (as I'll have an XP penalty in any other class than wizard because I'm an elf). I'll be getting a custom-made PrC in my next level which will give me eventually two more feats (although with a restricted choice) so it's an only-rogue choice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

What is your character background? Do you have any info on that PRC? perhaps knowing what youŽll get from it you could choose a feat that will compliment that :O

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Here's the short background version. Grew up in Elventree. Left later in order to adventure and found himself in the Bloodstone Lands. He is now in the scout/spy network of the King of Damara (that's the PrC coming later). He is gathering whatever piece of information he can get and being in these hostile lands he has to fight often.
    Skills like Bluff, Knowledge (Local), Gather Information are important too.
    The PrC is a combo of other PrC like Zhent and Harper Scout.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Depending on what weapons you are using, maybe Telling Blow (PHBII) could be fun if you're not sure what to do?

It gives you the ability to add your Sneak Attack damage on a confirmed Critical Hit. It's not a very optimized feat, but it tends to make critical hits all that more fun. :)

If you're going to spend a lot of time on the front line, maybe Improved Toughness (+1 HP / character level) would be worth your while?

A melee rogue who don't multiclass have a fairly limited amount of choices, if you don't focus heavily on Use Magic Device.

Curmudgeon could probably help you alot (and tell you why my recommendations above are useless ;) )

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Telling blow would be nice, but of course only with a rapier. Although I saw in another topic that in numbers it's not that good a feat really.
    I was also thinking about an elven thinblade, but it requires an exotic feat and I'm not sure if it's worh it.
    Are you sure about Improved Toughness? I thought it gives a fixed number of HP, 3 or 4.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Seconding Martial Study: Rogafufuken Wolf Fang Fist Strike
    Not enough Dragonball references, I say! Simply not enough!
    Improved Buckler Defense sounds like an option as well. I like Surprise Riposte, but that's not for everyone and probably doesn't fit your build.
    I'd also like to invite everyone to my movement: say no to Telling Blow! This feat is not good for the standard Rogue and is a step backwards in the most fun thing about Rogues - removing their Dex bonus to AC.
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2011-01-26 at 08:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Craulnober View Post
    Telling blow would be nice, but of course only with a rapier. Although I saw in another topic that in numbers it's not that good a feat really.
    The numbers aren't that good, but I just love the flavor of it. But each to his own, not everyone enjoys chanting "Crit! Crit! Crit!" as soon as you roll a Threat. ;)

Are you sure about Improved Toughness? I thought it gives a fixed number of HP, 3 or 4.
    The standard feat "Toughness" gives a fixed 3 HP, it sucks.

The Improved Toughness feat (Complete Warrior, I think) gives 1 HP/ level, basically upping your Hit Die one step.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I was also thinking about an elven thinblade, but it requires an exotic feat and I'm not sure if it's worh it.
    Elven Thinblade is almost certainly not worth it.

Improved Toughness is 1HP/level; Toughness is 3HP total.

Consider Knowledge Devotion, if your Knowledge skills are important to you; it will provide a useful boost to your ability to be the melee-er.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

It really depends on how often you can score a critical hit (taking a keen enchantment or having the improved critical feat makes it a must), but yes, it's not that good.
    It's never worth for an one-point damage increase.
    Improved Toughness is a different feat from Toughness, although it's not that awesome. However, at level 6, this will already give you double the amount of normal Toughness, if you have a +2 fortitude bonus and you would take it.
    Take a look at Tome of Battle anyway, especially the Shadow Hand-school, which does help with rogue-types. Just refluff these martial arts maneuver, everyone can do it.
    If you're dead-set on not taking it, I'd suggest you take a look at Complete Adventurer or Complete Scoundrel for feats.

14. - Top - End - #14

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Consider Knowledge Devotion, if your Knowledge skills are important to you; it will provide a useful boost to your ability to be the melee-er.
    He mentioned he'd get Knowledge Devotion later, in the OP?

Travel Devotion? It goes well with the Elf and TWF theme, too...
    Last edited by Thespianus; 2011-01-26 at 08:57 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    He mentioned he'd get Knowledge Devotion later, in the OP?
    Rogues have only one knowledge as a class skill, though. Even with the extra one from the KD itself, he'll be hoping for rather homogenous enemies.

EWP usually isn't worth it, but there's Kusari-Gama, light reach weapon which can also attack adjacent, in DMG. If you want more weapons options, Improved Weapon Familiarity (CW or RoS, I forget) gets you all your racial weapons: elven quickblade, elven thinblade, elven lightblade, elven courtblade, elven prettyblade and so forth. None of them are really worth it, though (except maybe courtblade for two-hander finessable).

Being Good doesn't mean you have to be brave.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

16. - Top - End - #16

Complete Scoundrel (I think) has a lot of feats based on your sneak attacks that might be worth looking into. Gives you a bit more variety in melee.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Combat Reflexes (PH) --> Vexing Flanker (PH2) --> Adaptable Flanker (PH2). i know is 3 feats but the first is almost a must with THAT dex being a melee, and the AF it totally worth the price.

and if DR/Cristal Keep materia is allowed, then with this combo take Backstab (DR340) it totally awesome with CR + AF
    and ofcourse, also in DR/Cristal Keep, Sneak Attack of Oportunity (DR340) let you add ur SAs to the AoO ^^
    Last edited by Ruinix; 2011-01-26 at 09:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Being Good doesn't mean you have to be brave.
    Better part of valor, better part of valor!
    He probably means his DM won't let him use stuff from Champions of Ruin, though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

almost forgot. i know, yo alredy said you have a self made PrC but still, take a look of Master of Mask (C.Scou p52), i think is what u r looking for and have a pleanty of resources

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

would agree with the combat reflex tree to improve you aoos.

of course if I were goign to rework it as a melee rapier dual weilder...

rogue 1 dodge
    swashbuckler 1 weapon finesse
    r2 mobility
    sw2
    r3
    sw3 daring outlaw
    dread commando 1-2
    dc3 twf
    dc 4-5
    swashbuckler4 improved twf
    rogue4/ swash 5
    rogue 5 Spring attack
    tempest 1-5 greater twf

5d6 sneak attack, +2 dodge bonus to ac, good init boosts to the whole party no armor check penalties in light armor, less penalties to twf and +int to dmg even early on has worth

edit if you want to try and go rogue only with this concept go dodge them mobiltiy at 9th slip into dread commando fo the init and armor check boosts,pick up improved twf @ 12th, spring at 15th when back to rogue and last 5 im tempest if your goal is still to be an absurdly ambidextrious twf
    Last edited by Noneoyabizzness; 2011-01-26 at 09:53 AM.
    Join the bard defense league

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Alternatively, skill tricks can be good. You're Rogue, you have lots of skill points - buy a few skill tricks and then a feat that gives you even more.

There's one that lets you make someone flat-footed once per combat as a swift action, I think. But don't quote me on that.

Also, maneuvers don't have to be fluffed as formal martial arts. You could take one of the supernatural strikes and fluff it as an innate magical power you inherited from your ancestors, for instance - maybe you're part Drow. Or take one of the mundane strikes and it could just be a trick you worked out.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-01-26 at 10:22 AM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

None of the elven racial weapons are really worth spending an exotic weapon feat on. However, if the flavor attracts you, check with your DM and see if he'll let you retrain your unused longsword proficiency for one of the elven weapons.
    I drive a quantum car- every time I look down at the speedometer, I get lost.

As a juggler, I may not always be smarter than a banana. However, bananas aren't often surrounded by children asking for hugs and autographs.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Could you take cloak dance? The concealment may help you stay alive on the front lines.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you like TWF, then Complete Adventurer has Oversize TWF, allows you to dual weild rapiers for the -2/-2. It does require STR 13, so you may not meet the pre-reqs. Another option i go with for DEX heavy builds, and this is dependant on your DM allowing 3rd party material. Alderac entertainment put out a book called "Feats". It is 3.0 era, but it has a feat called "Superior Finesse". It requires combat expertise and weapon finesse, but allows you to do DEX to damage instead of STR.

These are usualy must have choices for my rogues, and although I am by no means an optimizer, i do pretty well handling my own in my group.
    Last edited by bartman; 2011-01-26 at 10:26 AM.
    Awesome avatar done by Ravens_Wing

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

You can get Dex to damage in first-party. Shadow Blade - requires you to know a Shadow Hand stance, and lets you add Dex to damage (in addition to Str) on any Shadow Hand weapon.

So it's not exactly brilliant for someone with a Strength of 6, but... If you have Dex 18, it's still a net +2 damage.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Another thought: encourage yours spellcasters to summon creatures. They will provide extra melee support and give you lots of flanking buddies!

If you feel you have to do this yourself, you can take the water devotion feat in complete champion to let you occasionally summon a water elemental flanking buddy. You can ask for your DM's help working into your story, maybe a sylph enchants your wine skin or something.

Or take leadership and grab a fighterly cohort.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2011-01-26 at 10:34 AM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Just noticed something - Weapon Focus (whip), Pyrokineticist 1 and Dead Eye.
    Now you have Dex to damage without ToB.

28. - Top - End - #28

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Rogues have only one knowledge as a class skill, though. Even with the extra one from the KD itself, he'll be hoping for rather homogenous enemies.
    I throught I responded to this, but the Internet ate it: He mentioned that he's going into an unspecified PrC, I figured that PrC got some more Knowledge skills.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Craven is not an option (I'm good and I don't think my DM would allow it).
    You might want to reconsider that. Craven, though it's in Champions of Ruin, is a general feat and has no association with evil.

Craven is as important to a Rogue as Power Attack is to a Fighter.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You might want to reconsider that. Craven, though it's in Champions of Ruin, is a general feat and has no association with evil.

Craven is as important to a Rogue as Power Attack is to a Fighter.
    It's something his DM doesn't want. Kind of hard to reconsider that.