New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

biggrin What language to learn

So me and a friend are thinking of learning a language. We are thinking French, Spanish or Italian. But can't decide which.

Any recommendations? Anyone know if one is particularly easier to learn?
    Chaos boys have the most fun!

Everyone should bow to Ninjaman, show respect for my awesome avatar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What language to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Demonweave View Post
    So me and a friend are thinking of learning a language. We are thinking French, Spanish or Italian. But can't decide which.

Any recommendations? Anyone know if one is particularly easier to learn?
    Spanish is very easier to learn. But I prefer French, on account of me already speaking French. French is a wonderful language. And you can pick up girls with French. It's wonderful.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I, personally, have found French to be my favorite. I would recommend it to anyone.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

biggrin Re: What language to learn

She did also say French would be her choice, but I did it at school, and Just couldn't Pick it up. Found German alot easier tho. Hmmm
    Chaos boys have the most fun!

Everyone should bow to Ninjaman, show respect for my awesome avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5

I like Italian. French is just fine, though. French really isn't that difficult to learn, I think. I've never tried Spanish, so I've no input on that.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I know very little about French.

Spanish and Italian are roughly the same language. (If you speak one, people who speak the other will be able to understand you fine). Personally, I like the sound of Italian more.

If you learn Arabic or Chinese you are instantly more employable in the job market, and they may end up being more useful. Also, more unusual, which means they may teach you more from a linguistic perspective. However they're also further from English phonologically, so it'll be harder to learn to pronounce.

Personally, I suggest you study Nahuatl.
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2011-02-03 at 07:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I've always wanted to study a new language in each different major alphabet.

Hebrew, Mandarin, Greek, Hindi etc.

Just for awesome also wish to learn Gaelic and Cherokee. The latter am teaching myself.

Problem is, while I pick up on languages quite easily, rarely have anyone to teach me. I'm not good with simply reading about it. I pick it up like I do instruments, by ear and learning how everything flows.

Start going on about glottal stops and female ventriculars and all that crap and my brainfuzzes.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-02-03 at 08:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Out of those choices, I prefer French. Seems to me to be easy to learn, as well as useful.

Out of any language, you should learn Quenya. Or Sindarin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mattos View Post
    Out of any language, you should learn Quenya. Or Sindarin.
    I wonder how many people on this board recognize those as Elvish...

As for the topic at hand, I'd probably go with Spanish or Italian. I don't favour French much, probably on account of one of my friends being French.
    Last edited by Kumori; 2011-02-03 at 08:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

As much as I hate to admit it, probably French would be most useful out of those.

Between Spanish or Italian, go with Spanish. Spanish is more broadly used. It is true that you can get a rough understanding of the other if you speak one, but they're NOT the same language, and you can't go around saying "I speak Italian because I speak Spanish."

Languages.... do not work that way. <.<

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Nahuatl, I choose thee!
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spanish is fun if you have somewhere to use/practice it. Or someone to speak it with. Otherwise it can be a real drag to learn, unless you absolutly love language, which some people do.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things.
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

You left out all useful information for forming an opinion.

Where do you live? How many speakers of each language live near you?

Where do you want to visit?

What do you want to read? Don Quixote's in Spanish; Cyrano de Bergerac and The Three Musketeers are French; most opera is in Italian.

If you're interested in 16th/17th century fencing manuals, Agrippa and Capo Ferro are in Italian; Narvaez is in Spanish; Sainct Didier is in French.

I live in Texas, and Spanish is more immediately relevant. People near Quebec would have more use for French.

Languages are tools for communication and learning. Until we know who you want to communicate with or what you want to learn, we cannot advise you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Difficulty-wise, all of those are rather even. French has a tad more rigid rules and a bit more complex pronunciation on account of having been artificially regulated for centuries (while the other two have developed relatively freely), but all of them have the same basic grammar and structure with the same cases and actually quite a large overlap on words.

If anything, learn all of them. Once you learn one, the other two will be really easy. I know French and studying Spanish has been really simple as a consequence; and through both you can actually make quite some sense of other Romance languages like Italian & Portuguese.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    If you learn Arabic or Chinese you are instantly more employable in the job market, and they may end up being more useful.
    Spanish applies here as well. It is one of the most widely spoken languages.

Spanish isn't too difficult to learn. Hardest part for me is remembering the various verb forms.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

16. - Top - End - #16

I found french to be hard, but chinese is more important in the jobe market. The again, I may be biased, as chinese is my native tongue.
    Last edited by Pokonic; 2011-02-03 at 09:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You left out all useful information for forming an opinion.

Where do you live?
    Underneath his Avatar it says "Location:
    norfolk, england"

I don't know about England in particular, but I do think that after English, French is the most frequently spoken language in the U.K., so it might be most useful...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I've actually taken all three of those languages, and in my opinion, French is by far the hardest. Silent letters run rampant, and in many cases, 2 or more different conjugations of words will sound exactly the same. Italian and Spanish are about equal in difficulty. Each one has a couple of weird pronunciations to remember (rolling r's in spanish (or italian, actually), ll making a y sound, and x making an h sound in spanish, ch and z in italian (they make a K and ts sound, respectively, which are similar, but not quite the same.)

French also seemed to have more irregular verbs, as well as no easy distinction between masculine and feminine nouns (like spanish and italian's o and a endings.)

Go Tigers!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pokon1 View Post
    I found french to be hard, but chinese is more important in the jobe market. The again, I may be biased, as chinese is my native tongue.
    Just a bit.

Seriously, though, Chinese is a better option... but it depends a lot on what you're working on.

For Engineering, Japanese and German are priority.

For international relations, French and Spanish are a bit higher (though not much, as Japanese and German are important, too).

If you're getting into something very specific, like a career in Fashion or Culinary arts, French is THE language, followed by Italian.

Chinese is good if you're doing International business and Relations, and a bit in Engineering, IIRC, but not much use if you're in Fashion or cooking.

That's what I recall being told, anyway. Asking someone at school might be a good choice.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kumori_Ekisu View Post
    I wonder how many people on this board recognize those as Elvish...
    I did.

I recommend Klingon, for the awesomeness factor. I also recommend a real language, such as French or Spanish, from your list and for the usability factor. I know if you lived here, in the States, it'd be Spanish, as Spanish is a rapidly growing language here, but in England, I imagine it's less useful.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    If you learn Arabic or Chinese you are instantly more employable in the job market, and they may end up being more useful. Also, more unusual, which means they may teach you more from a linguistic perspective. However they're also further from English phonologically, so it'll be harder to learn to pronounce.

Personally, I suggest you study Nahuatl.
    If you learn Chinese, you might as well go learn Japanese at the same time. It makes every vastly easier. If you aren't necessarily that good at learning languages, then doing them at the same time might not be advisable, but learning one makes learning the other incredibly easier. Also, Chinese is really, really nice for an employment standpoint, as Icewalker pointed out. And China/Japan has some amazing food.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    If you learn Chinese, you might as well go learn Japanese at the same time. It makes every vastly easier.
    I actually tried this, and found it more difficult, cuz I mixed them up too much. Of course, I only tried it for a year until I decided I'd learn Japanese later. I also was already studying Latin and French as well, so it might have just been too much.

To answer the OP, I prefer French, mostly cuz I live near Montreal and Quebec. I'd try to go for whichever is the most common in you're area, wherever you want to visit the most, or whichever sounds the nicest to you.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Ancient Greek

Doooo iiiiiiit
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VioletRice View Post
    I actually tried this, and found it more difficult, cuz I mixed them up too much. Of course, I only tried it for a year until I decided I'd learn Japanese later. I also was already studying Latin and French as well, so it might have just been too much.

To answer the OP, I prefer French, mostly cuz I live near Montreal and Quebec. I'd try to go for whichever is the most common in you're area, wherever you want to visit the most, or whichever sounds the nicest to you.
    As someone who is learning both, it helps me a huge amount. The Japanese pronunciations are fairly similar to the Chinese ones, and being able to compare characters and meanings to be similar is a very good way to learn the languages.

Take a couple of characters; 新 あたらし, Shin1. Atarashi, and Shin. They have a fairly similar structure, and I instantly recognized it in my Chinese class because I had learned it in Japanese. They also both have the same meaning. Also, atarashi is only the most common usage, the kunyomi. The onyomi is Shin, which has the exact same pronunciation as the chinese word.

心, こころ/shin, 心, shin. Kokoro is the kunyomi in this case as well, shin is the onyomi. Every Japanese character has a kunyomi and an onyomi. The onyomi are specifically taken from the Chinese pronunciation. So, the onyomi in this case is the exact same as the Chinese. You will notice this pattern repeat across most any characters and words you are learning in either language.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

As someone who is learning both, it helps me a huge amount. The Japanese pronunciations are fairly similar to the Chinese ones, and being able to compare characters and meanings to be similar is a very good way to learn the languages.
    Yup, they're quite similar, and I can read a fair amount of Japanese because of my experience with Mandarin, but for some reason Mandarin is a lot easier for me than Japanese. I guess it just didn't work for me (which, again, I will probably put down to taking four languages at once, plus an altogether busy year).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VioletRice View Post
    Yup, they're quite similar, and I can read a fair amount of Japanese because of my experience with Mandarin, but for some reason Mandarin is a lot easier for me than Japanese. I guess it just didn't work for me (which, again, I will probably put down to taking four languages at once, plus an altogether busy year).
    Probably a good point. But I must digress, no matter what the OP chooses, learning a language is an amazing absolutely fantastic, incredible, wonderful and beautiful experience.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Learn German. It is the best.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Probably a good point. But I must digress, no matter what the OP chooses, learning a language is an amazing absolutely fantastic, incredible, wonderful and beautiful experience.
    The best part is, after you know ~10 languages or so, learning a new one becomes incredibly easy. You can just mirror the grammatic elements off other languages and probably have quite a good command of the basics right off the bat along with efficient methods for picking up the vocabulary.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    The best part is, after you know ~10 languages or so, learning a new one becomes incredibly easy. You can just mirror the grammatic elements off other languages and probably have quite a good command of the basics right off the bat along with efficient methods for picking up the vocabulary.
    I am so jealous of you. My life goal is to learn more than 10 languages.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, probably French would be most useful out of those.

Between Spanish or Italian, go with Spanish. Spanish is more broadly used. It is true that you can get a rough understanding of the other if you speak one, but they're NOT the same language, and you can't go around saying "I speak Italian because I speak Spanish."

Languages.... do not work that way. <.<
    My experience in Italy was that Spanish and Italian were the same language. I could talk with people with occasional words not being understood, but sentences working.