New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Finishing a Character: Psion

With the advice I have received in this thread I have come up with a character. I would like some help and advice for the mechanical aspects of it.

The Story:
    Spoiler
    Show

Originally a spy for a minor noble, Bran Howell was a street urchin whose innate talent for stealth and cunning caught the eye of a local spymaster. Eventually he was captured during an infiltration assignment. Over the course of his detainment he was tortured. The mental and physical strain unlocked a latent talent of his, psionic power. Bran used his newfound powers to escape his prison, however his ordeal greatly changed him. He believes that the powers were divine interdiction and has vowed to change his ways.

Due to their nature, he often hides his abilities for fear of being taken for an Illithid-spawn or other vile abberation. Bran ran from his life of espionage, abandoning his lord and his nation. As such, he is constantly on the move, for fear of being executed as a traitor. He now takes on the mantle of an adventurer, using his talents of stealth and cunning to further causes he sees as good.

He finds himself at odds with his newfound goodness, he has been raised with the ideal of survival of the fittest. He is always quick to make a joke and uses his jovial nature to earn allies from those he meets. He is calm in the face of opposition, trusting in the abilities of his allies and himself, and always seems to know something that everyone else doesn't. This combination of calmness and glibness causes those that would threaten Bran to underestimate him.

(Imagine a personality similar to David Tennant as Dr. Who)

The Build:
    Spoiler
    Show

Human Paragon 1/Psion 1/Human Paraon +2/Psion +1/Constructor 10/Psion +5

My DM has allowed Human Paragon to advance psionics. I will be a Shaper, usine the metacreativity powers to create the various tools I need, making me a very good spy, since the evidence of my tools will disappear after a while.

I'll probobly be the party face, with Cha as my secondary stat; I will be using Human Paragon and Able Learner to get the skills I want always maxed. My focus will be on Bluff, Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Info, Hide, Knowledge (Arcana, Nature, The Planes), Move Silently. I am assuming 18 Int; this yields a minimum of 9 skills possible that I can max, not counting the 1/4 level increase. +4(Int) +1(HParagon 3) +1(Human) +2(Psion levels) +1 (Nymph's Kiss) = 9/level with an additional 2 each level of HParagon and Constructor to make up gaps (like those from the Constructor prereqs).

Now, I'm not sure what crafting skill will be the most useful. I figure that I will want to make things like thieve's tools, rope, grappling hooks, bridges, ladders, clothes for disguises, etc. I doubt that there's a Craft that encompases all of these, but I would like suggestions of a craft to take and some applications of that craft.

Feats:
    Spoiler
    Show

Human: Able Learner

Flaw (noncomatant): Nymph's Kiss

Flaw (feeble): Psicrystal Affinity

1: Hidden Talent - Astral Construct

2(Psion 1): Extend Power

3(HParagon 2): Boost Construct

3: Overchannel

6: Talented

9: Practiced Manifester

12: Psionic Meditation

15: Psicrystal Containment

18(Psion 5): Twin Power

18: EK - Schism

Powers:
    Spoiler
    Show

1:
    Ecto Protection
    Entangling Ectoplasm
    Minor Creation, Psionic
    Synchronicity
    Vigor

2:
    Damp Power
    Knock, Psionic
    Share Pain
    Repair Damage, Psionic

3:
    Concealing Amorpha, Greater
    Dispel Psionics
    Evade Burst*
    Time Hop

4:
    Dimension Door, Psionic
    Divination, Psionic
    Fabricate, Psionic
    Freedom of Movement, Psionic

5:
    Anticipatory Strike
    Hail of Crystals
    Major Creation, Psionic
    True Seeing, Psionic

6:
    Fabricate, Greater Psionic
    Probability Mantle
    Temporal Acceleration

7:
    Divert Teleport
    Ectoplasmic Cocoon, Mass
    Moment of Prescience, Psionic

8:
    Bend Reality
    Shadow Body
    Teleport, Psionic Greater
    9:
    Reality Revision

*This is acquired by using the independent research option to get the level 3 psiwar version.

I have a few qestions, but I would also like general advice on the build as well.

1.) Is it viable to use Astral Construct as your only/major offensive power?

2.) Are there any ways to gain extra skill points each level?

3.) How useful/cheesy is using the independent research option to gain access to powers not on your list?

4.) Is it reasonable to try to get my DM to waive the Astral Construct and Metacreativity damage type nerfs?

5.) How does the Astral Construct nerf interact with Twin Power?

6.) What is a useful Craft skill to take in order to get the most out of the creation powers (see specifics in the build tab?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Finishing a Character: Psion

Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    6.) What is a useful Craft skill to take in order to get the most out of the creation powers (see specifics in the build tab?
    I've been known to take Craft (pioneering) to cover the ropes/bridges/ladders stuff.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    I've been known to take Craft (pioneering) to cover the ropes/bridges/ladders stuff.
    Craft: Sculpture is also good for a shaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    This seems good.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Craft: Sculpture is also good for a shaper.
    Can it apply to both metal and stone/clay?

I have one more question, does Nymph's Kiss grant +1*4 at first level?
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-02-18 at 08:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems good.

I have one more question, does Nymph's Kiss grant +1*4 at first level?
    I think bonus skill points don't get multiplied, like the ones for being human.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on your DM. I'd call stone/clay one skill and metal another.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Annulus View Post
    I think bonus skill points don't get multiplied, like the ones for being human.
    I figured as much since Human specifically mentions +4 at level 1.

Depends on your DM. I'd call stone/clay one skill and metal another.
    That seems reasonable. I think I'll go with Pioneering, then.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I just want to bump this since there has been very little feedback for my questions.

I was also wondering what types of uses are there (in and out of combat) for the powers Minor Creation, Major Creation, True Creation, Fabricate, and Greater Fabricate?

It seems that they can be quite good for generating wealth via selling false goods, or refining raw materials. I just don't know what types of offensive uses they have. Can I fabricate a giant block of wood above someone's head, etc?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

As far as I recall, it is impossible to conjure/create objects that float in space. For example, this is why you can't use Summon Monster to summon a Whale above someone's head.

There's a relevant ACF for shapers here that might interest you.

Also... why are you taking Hidden Power?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    As far as I recall, it is impossible to conjure/create objects that float in space. For example, this is why you can't use Summon Monster to summon a Whale above someone's head.

There's a relevant ACF for shapers here that might interest you.

Also... why are you taking Hidden Power?
    I've seen those, but thank you.

I'm taking Hidden power because it fit with the character concept, but I was thinking about ditching it. I don't want to be wasting feats, but since my DM is alright with 2 flaws, I want to get the most out of them. All of my other feats are psionic, so I cannot take them at 1st level.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-02-21 at 02:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Well... Improved Initiative is always a nice feat, and it's especially better than... well, Hidden Power is effectively just an extra first level power known. That plus a Nimble psicrystal will give you a more than respectable initiative modifier, even before magic items.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Well... Improved Initiative is always a nice feat, and it's especially better than... well, Hidden Power is effectively just an extra first level power known. That plus a Nimble psicrystal will give you a more than respectable initiative modifier, even before magic items.
    Very good point.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I have a few qestions, but I would also like general advice on the build as well.

1.) Is it viable to use Astral Construct as your only/major offensive power?

2.) Are there any ways to gain extra skill points each level?

3.) How useful/cheesy is using the independent research option to gain access to powers not on your list?

4.) Is it reasonable to try to get my DM to waive the Astral Construct and Metacreativity damage type nerfs?

5.) How does the Astral Construct nerf interact with Twin Power?

1.) Yes. Definitely, especially if you go Constructor. It's also a great power for adventuring in general.

3.) You can use Expanded Knowledge already to take other classes powers. So I suggest you apply the same restriction: Be able to cast power one level higher.

4.) I wouldn't dare.

5.) I'd say, it does not.

Also note that you do not need Knock, if you have Time Hop. Hop the door.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 1of3 View Post
    1.) Yes. Definitely, especially if you go Constructor. It's also a great power for adventuring in general.

3.) You can use Expanded Knowledge already to take other classes powers. So I suggest you apply the same restriction: Be able to cast power one level higher.

4.) I wouldn't dare.

5.) I'd say, it does not.

Also note that you do not need Knock, if you have Time Hop. Hop the door.
    Thank you. Good call on Time Hop > Knock.

When you say Twin Power does not interact, you mean that the second one replaces the first as if I had manifested it twice?
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-02-21 at 04:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Bowls of Petunias, however, are perfectly acceptable. Oh, not again.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the human paragon's abilities I would say that Able learner is a bit redundant. Given that Metacreativity has the awesome Swarm of Crystals (no attack roll, no save, no SR, 15ft cone, lvl2, 1d4/pp) I would not rely solely on astral construct, just because that power is awesomely bad@$$.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Well... Improved Initiative is always a nice feat, and it's especially better than... well, Hidden Power is effectively just an extra first level power known from any list you want, faster than Expanded Knowledge can give it to you. Oh, and 2 PP. That plus a Nimble psicrystal will give you a more than respectable initiative modifier, even before magic items.
    Fixed that for you.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Stabber View Post
    Given the human paragon's abilities I would say that Able learner is a bit redundant. Given that Metacreativity has the awesome Swarm of Crystals (no attack roll, no save, no SR, 15ft cone, lvl2, 1d4/pp) I would not rely solely on astral construct, just because that power is awesomely bad@$$.
    How is able learner redundant? It lets me keep the 10 skills I want rather than only 1 skill as class skills regardless of multiclassing.

I agree about Swarm of Crystals I have actually been considering Crystal Spray, Swarm of Crystals, and Hail of Crystals as backup powers for sniping or crown control. I'm probobly going to end up getting rid of the lower level creation and fabricate powers in preference of those.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

How is able learner redundant? It lets me keep the 10 skills I want rather than only 1 skill as class skills regardless of multiclassing.
    Sorry, I forgot, I usually play with the house rule of "once class, always class". I keep forgetting about that particular deviance from RAW.

And the Crystal related powers are just amazing. The low damage die may seem bad, but the fact that they always work is just fan-freakin'-tastic. They may border on broken, Thoughts?
    Last edited by Darth Stabber; 2011-02-21 at 02:21 PM.
    My homebrew
    Official spokesman of the totemist class for gestalt (and proud supporter of parenthetical asides (especially nested ones)). Author of a gestalt handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Did you just put a gear shift on a lightsaber?
    Redneck laser swords only work in manual.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Sorry, I forgot, I usually play with the house rule of "once class, always class". I keep forgetting about that particular deviance from RAW.
    This can somewhat be circumvented with the retraining rules in PHBII, but I usually try to push for that house rule. It's a reasonable rule that gets rid of something that really adds nothing to the game (similar to the Favored Class exp penalty).

And the Crystal related powers are just amazing. The low damage die may seem bad, but the fact that they always work is just fan-freakin'-tastic. They may border on broken, Thoughts?
    Broken, probobly not. Just look at the orb spells, they are much more powerful. They may not be as adept at crowd control, but mooks usually don't do very well when making saves and their SR is not going to be too much of a problem.

The crystal powers are extremely cool. Maybe I should go for a Crystal themed Psion and have my constructs be crystaline, rather than ecto-blobs. Although if I wanted to go the psionic Blaster route I would play a Wilder, since they're quite good at blowing things up.

EDIT: Just as a complete side note, since Wilders gein more skill points per level than psion I could play one with 4 less Int than the psion I'm considering and still gain the same total skills. With Cha as my primary instead I would be a better party face as well.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-02-21 at 03:54 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Go compare Wilder and Psion powers known before you pick Wilder

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by vampire2948 View Post
    Go compare Wilder and Psion powers known before you pick Wilder
    I'm losing roughly 20 powers known if I select the Educated Wilder ACF. It was just a thought.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm losing roughly 20 powers known if I select the Educated Wilder ACF. It was just a thought.
    Sure, you'll suffer from less versatility, but is it really always about power? What fits better with the character's story?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Sure, you'll suffer from less versatility, but is it really always about power? What fits better with the character's story?
    That's actually what I was thinking. In my backstory it is easy to envision his discovery of psionic powers as his first Wild Surge.

Although, trying to fill the roll normally taken by the skill monkey will demand some versatility. I will probobly use Crystal Storm and Astral Construst as my only offensive powers in this case, saving the rest for utility powers, and that's not really a bad thing.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-02-21 at 05:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Yes, that is true, but the extra power is only really relevant if he doesn't play a Shaper, and he needs several Shaper Discipline powers if he's going to get into Constructor. It would be a reasonable choice if he were, say, to play an Egoist, but as things are it's just a very underwhelming feat slot.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, that is true, but the extra power is only really relevant if he doesn't play a Shaper, and he needs several Shaper Discipline powers if he's going to get into Constructor. It would be a reasonable choice if he were, say, to play an Egoist, but as things are it's just a very underwhelming feat slot.
    I just realized that he's using it on a power he could get anyway. In that case, you're absolutely right. It's pretty much a waste in this case. Now, if he were using it on Dimension Hop, or Psionic Charm, or Expansion, or any similarly cool powers that are hard to get on a Shaper, then my point would stand. As it is, you're correct, and I need to read things more carefully.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Or Precognition or Mindlink.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The particular power I chose for Hidden Power was a leftover from when I originally had this character as a Telepath. Dimension Hop is a great power to have in its place, with Astral Construct as one of my Psion 1 powers.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2011-02-21 at 09:40 PM.