New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I Need Hilarious Things to Pour out of the Fourth (or 5th) Wall and Fight my Players!

In the very humorous 3.5/PF campaign I'm running, the final battle is fast approaching, a randomized-team 5v5v5v5. (five of them are PC's but are split between various teams along with the other major NPC's of the story for an epic PvP finish)

One of my players, (let's call him Chris, mostly because that's his name and he never uses these forums) has a sword so sharp it can cut the boundaries between universes. He plans on using it during the final battle to destroy this boundary and call forth the hordes of Chaos from Warhammer 40k. What I have planned, however, is that in addition, all sorts of stuff from various TV shows/video games/books/movies/etc. pour forth in addition, and immediately begin acting according to their natural inclinations. What I ask of you, the playground, is to provide epic ideas for things to cause simultaneous Crowning Moments of Awesome and Funny! Are you up to the challenge?

Edit: Oh yeah, everyone is ECL 24, if that helps.
    Last edited by Chess435; 2011-02-28 at 01:52 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I Need Hilarious Things to Pour out of the Fourth (or 5th) Wall and Fight my Play

Groups of 5....

5 ninjas in red/blue/black/pink/yellow suits

4 anthropomorphic turtles + anthropomorphic rat

5 bards with long hair who thrash around violently with their instruments while wearing tight leather armor, possibly combining various elements of Dragonfire Inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: I Need Hilarious Things to Pour out of the Fourth (or 5th) Wall and Fight my Play

Whatever you pick, I recommend playing Hungarian Rhapsody #2 in the background...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Idea 1:

Cartoon-ized game mechanical concepts pour out, that each inflict variations and control of their particular mechanic as their ability.

A Natural 20 (a big d20 with 20 on every facing) that basically gets a natural 20 on anything it does, but doesn't have any class abilities/etc, and a Natural 1 that inflicts natural 1s on its targets. A 5 foot step (pair of boots with a dashed line trail to the previous square they were in). An AoO (sly looking guy holding a dagger and looking around for a chance). The Grid (surveyor with tools, can rotate or shift the map grid). Out of Character, a random guy who keeps chatting about weird stuff, movies, etc during the fight, and can act out of initiative order. The Rules Lawyer, a guy in a suit and briefcase that only uses weird RAW stuff that makes no sense like drowning to health, and suppresses house rules in a 5ft radius.

Idea 2:

PCs from previous campaigns show up trying to steal the spotlight from their successors, a la Disgaea.

Idea 3:

Totally harmless-looking chibi versions of various horrible things show up (Chthonic monsters, some of the more disturbing fiends, etc) and start to play-fight with eachother. Occasionally they transform into their normal form for a single action to totally ravage some part of the field and then transform back with a guilty look.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The players themselves, as they are in real life. When demolishing the fourth wall, you should go all the way! For extra weirdness have each player control both his character and himself.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

A horde of dwagons, spidews and every other webcomic reference you can think of!
    Last edited by ThirdEmperor; 2011-02-28 at 02:24 PM.
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Bugs Bunny, the Avatar of Chaos.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    The players themselves, as they are in real life. When demolishing the fourth wall, you should go all the way! For extra weirdness have each player control both his character and himself.
    But what happens if their normal self dies?
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

If you die in RL, you die in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Deadpool, Kidpool, Headpool, Dogpool, and Ladypool.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=13444

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Keep 'em coming!
    ^~Cody T.~^

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

A man in a white trilby hat in a vast yellow landscape comes at them with a long, rambly attack to their egoes about what lousy characters they are for moderate charisma damage. Whenever they evicerate, or cut him in half or whatever, he simply cuts to the next scene where he's at his desk and fine.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

for shame playgrounders

none of you thought of The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny?

I'll brb gonna go dig up a link before I get ninja'd

link!
    http://www.flashportal.com/movies/th..._showdown.html
    Last edited by big teej; 2011-02-28 at 03:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

There needs to be some Nazis in there somewhere. Everyone likes killing Nazis.
    Last edited by Kobold Esq; 2011-02-28 at 02:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

An A.C.M.E. catalog that when perused spawns crates containing a random but fundamentally flawed wondrous item. Ensure that the flawed nature is due to over complication of the mechanism with respect to the task it is designed to perform.

A bunch of soldiers with blue and red lasers that can not hit anything, ever, but are content to shoot and take cover behind anything and everything. They would probably also be unable to be hit. Bonus points for an included public service announcement.

At some point the Mystery Machine should show up, along with some meddling kids.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A group of Troubleshooters pour out, armed with laser pistols, experimental equipment (Which explodes), clone backups, and a habit of turning on one another at a moment's notice.

A pair of paladins who are engaged in a heated debate on alignment.
    Last edited by BRC; 2011-02-28 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elmer Fudd and maybe Taz.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

tongue Re: I Need Hilarious Things to Pour out of the Fourth (or 5th) Wall and Fight my Play

Two words: katamari damacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Appropriately masculine beards are like masterwork tools, but they work for every check EVER.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Muppets. A Bullywug Marshal, an Anthropomorphic Pig Monk, a Pseudonatural Mongrelman Incarnate/Fortune's Friend, a Werebear Truenamer, a pink Goblin Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker (with Perform(percussion)), a Human Artificer with Leadership but terrible Charisma ...
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Earth/water/fire/air elemental savants + a 'heart' themed mage, who circle summon a Good Outsider type guy with green hair and blue skin - use a Planetar with druid casting instead of cleric casting (and swapped spell-likes).
    Last edited by ffone; 2011-02-28 at 04:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tall, floating woman with crazy hair, short funny-looking guy with round glasses, and three guys in jumpsuits with hoses attached to backpacks who proceed to start vacuuming up any undead around...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I see what you did there.
    ^~Cody T.~^

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

If you and your players don't mind the stench of cheese, how about a masked man in a dashing black and gold outfit who leads an army of Huge constructs and can use Geas as a standard-action, medium range, multi-target gaze attack with permanent duration and the "no suicidal orders" clause removed?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Errr.... I don't get the reference on that one...
    ^~Cody T.~^

25. - Top - End - #25
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    Errr.... I don't get the reference on that one...
    Code Geass. The main character often leads armies of mecha, always wears a mask when not in his mild-mannered alter ego, and in the first episode he gains the ability (called Geass) to give absolute commands to anyone he can make eye contact with in something like a 200 meter range.
    First two episodes spoiler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The very first time he uses it, he orders a whole squad of soldiers to "die". Every last one of them immediately blows his own brains out.

Further testing reveals that each command is permanent and cannot be resisted, but requires direct eye contact to give, and he can't use this ability on any single person more than once.

He is, incidentally, a perfect example of a Magnificent Bastard with a very strong streak of Large Ham.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2011-02-28 at 05:07 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

@ Sith Happens: Code Geass all the way, yes?

For my own offering, a bit of a subversion. A statue of Admiral Ackbar from Return of the Jedi, which is not trapped in any way- in a room that is also not trapped in any way. Possibly have it that somebody already came through and got rid of the traps that may have been there- but if any of your players are familiar with the 'it's a trap' meme, you could have them searching for traps that aren't there whilst you chuckle to yourself.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

If theya re pouring out of the forth wall, I'd just grab whatever is lying afound and place it on the map. Cheese balls, extra dice, minatures from other games, soda bottles, anything.

Then just assign the items stats on the fly. Maybe give things that are big enough to fit over a model the Swallow Whole ability. Stuff like that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

How about a vampire with the ability to stop time and he also drops steamrollers on people?

Alternatively, creatures from a world that include a female human warlock whose eldritch blast simplifies to a gigantic magical laser, a female human samurai with a half-ghost template and a magical bastard sword and short sword, a female ghost who can induce death by moe, a female humanoid wizard who could accomplish what that sword does with a single thought and summon a train for good measure, and a knife throwing, time stopping maid.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold Esq View Post
    There needs to be some Nazis in there somewhere. Everyone likes killing Nazis.
    But the're really the dancers from The Producers
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

11 ideas:
    (spoilered for length)
    Spoiler
    Show
    1: Open The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and start statting up everything you find.

2: Hippies!

3: Carebears (or other such beings)

4: Elvis. The King was abducted by transdimensional wizards and dumped into a D&D game.

5: Marvel super heroes

6: Darth Vader and all the rest from Star Wars

7: Mario, Master Chief, Samus, etc.

8: Have the universe-cutting sword malfunction and reverse the roles of the PCs and the players so that the players must play themselves as characters being played by their characters.

9: Have everything turn to LEGO that the PCs can spend actions to destroy and build terrain and other stuff with.

10: Lord Voldemort and all the other Harry Potter people. Think Dobby.

11: Give a vague description and tell the players to guess what they're about to fight. Make their guesses the things that they fight.

I could put down more, but I don't want to write too much!
    http://www.mocpages.com The world's premier LEGO community!