New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default is my charecter evil

Me and my group were playing yesterday and during the campaign my dm said my actions were sufficiently evil to immediately turn me to evil i disagreed but alignment does not matter to my characters classes (ranger and scout) and it was in character so i didn't argue much. I think the rest of the party agrees with me but id like to see what other people think.

our party is currently in an evil empire, the empires stated goals are the eradication all of non casters almost all non casters are conscripted into the army and forced to invade other nations where from what weve seen they will get kill by friendly fire from their arcane commanders. every new place they take over everyone is rounded up and forced into the army and sent to the next land to take it over. because their goal is to kill all non casters more than to actually win they use incredible stupid tactics and end up winning because they have lots of high level casters.

The next place on their hit list is my people who wont stand a chance. The events in question happened while sneaking into an enemy city. everyone in the city was either an arcane caster and part of the empire or a slave.
    I ambushed a passing wizard in the dark shot him in the back then slit his throat. I latter lassoed a second one around the neck pulled him into an alley and killed him as well. The dm said this was cold blooded murder.

I personally felt that we were in an enemy stronghold wizards by virtue of there spells are never unarmed and are always dangerous and any damage i dealt to the empire gave the rest of the world a better chance of surviving.

so sorry for the length but what do you think
    Last edited by awa; 2011-03-13 at 10:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: is my charecter evil

Of course it's cold blooded murder. So is a paladin kicking in the door of a dungeon and butchering the CE goblins and orcs living there, but they don't get hit with alignment shifts.

I'd call it Chaotic, but you're fighting to defend your people against an evil empire by means of asymmetrical warfare. The pre-emptive nature of your attacks (this was offense, not defense), makes it murky between Good and Neutral, but I wouldn't have shifted alignment for one act. Your Dm is way off base.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I think its easier if you try an argue it from a Star-Wars perspective: You're a Rebellion freedom fighter, caught in the middle of Empire territory, run by various Sith Lords of immense power. You just killed two of them to help the Rebellion.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

You are not evil. All you did was preemptive defense, basicly kill them befor they can kill me and all of my friends.

If I had to an alignment on you it would be in the Chaotic Good/Neutral axis.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You're not in the city to kill the wizards, though, you're in the city to accomplish your plot objectives. As such, killing the wizards is essentially unpremeditated, and when your mind immediately leaps to killing when you're not in combat with somebody, with no planning or rational consideration, then the DM can rightfully be worried that your character is evil. That said, nobody switches alignment for just one act. Alignment is supposed to describe your actions as a whole, not dictate them in individual cases. Your DM is still way off-base.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Ever heard of a fellow named Piers Anthony? He's infamous for his rather bizarre concept of honor...

Do all arcane spellcasters in the empire approve of its goals? What happens to those who don't? Assuming the two wizards you're referring to were something like a guard patrol, no, your character isn't evil and didn't do anything wrong.

If the answers to my two questions are "I never thought to ask," and the wizards in question weren't in the military or might have been forced to join it, you're on much shakier ground.
    Last edited by Kish; 2011-03-13 at 11:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are you a paladin ? Is there a mechanical reason why you would care about your alignment ?
    Otherwise, why not just shrug at your DM and carry on playing your character like you always do ?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you certain the two wizards you ambushed were guilty of anything? Were they on their way to buy more slaves, or were they on the way home to their children? Remember, even in Menzoberranzan there are innocent people.

But the real question... did your character CARE whether or not they were guilty of anything?

If yes, then your slide to evil should be slow. If no, then you're already there.
    Last edited by gbprime; 2011-03-13 at 11:21 AM.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

A single evil act doesn't instantly change your alignment to evil.

Unless you'd never done a single good act...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    A single evil act doesn't instantly change your alignment to evil.

Unless you'd never done a single good act...
    Agreed! Tell us more about your character. What's he done that would distinguish him from a cold blooded murderer?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The party was in the process of trying to rescue slaves for no reward.

When forced to fight his own people he used subdual damage and payed to raise all the warriors who did get killed. we killed a roc threatening a village for no reward because it was a danger to the community.

In particular He goes out of his way to kill monsters that threaten roads making roads safe for travelers

12. - Top - End - #12
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Burner28 View Post
    Who the heck is he
    A fantasy author, with, as noted, an 'odd' idea of honor.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    A fantasy author, with, as noted, an 'odd' idea of honor.
    Honor itself is odd as hell, it should be said. It can be honorable to accept abuse without complaint, for example. No, it's not right, but it is honorable.

[/Court of the West]

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Honor is to each his own as is rational thinking.

The Paladin may say its rational to leave the wizards alone because he cannot prove they are evil at this distance or risk his fellow party members lives.

The Ranger/Rouge/whatever may say take them down to be safe and remove a possible threat that can come back at later dates.

Both rational and both logical. They also follow each individuals code of honor
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

15. - Top - End - #15

Good point Vknight though I do not think Honour is really the issue concerning the character. After all we don't know whether or not the character is Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

the characters law/chaos is not being questioned just his good/evil
    the character follows his own (and his peoples) well defined code of honor to the letter. So it just comes down to the point that of are his actions evil and if they are are they enough to turn him instantly evil or do his other actions negate them

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thank you

Well that does have a determining factor.
    A lawful character may see that as something that shouldn't be done on the reasoning he may only be forced as stated earlier

A neutral character should understand that doing the action means he must kill him quickly to not risk others and the law

A chaotic character can just say they were killing them because they can or because the wizard may become a threat.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

A single evil act of this magnitude is not enough to make an otherwise good character evil, but yes, what you did was definitely evil. As far as you know, these wizards didn't really do anything wrong, and they weren't soldiers out to get you. Just because you're facing an evil empire does not mean it's okay to massacre its citizens.

Of course it's cold blooded murder. So is a paladin kicking in the door of a dungeon and butchering the CE goblins and orcs living there, but they don't get hit with alignment shifts.
    To be fair, in campaigns that actually care about story consistency and logic, not plot-less dungeon crawls, the paladin is usually there because the goblins are raiders threatening a nearby peaceful community.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2011-03-13 at 02:27 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    To be fair, in campaigns that actually care about story consistency and logic, not plot-less dungeon crawls, the paladin is usually there because the goblins are raiders threatening a nearby peaceful community.
    Said paladin should still offer an honorable surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Said paladin should still offer an honorable surrender.
    That's true. It's important to note that in a campaign that actually cares about roleplaying, paladins and other good-aligned characters should not exhibit the violent hobo mentality.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well your actions do seem effective for what you are trying to accomplish, but at the same time; I can see you sliding right into the evil spectrum. Your character right now doesn't seem all that evil, but given that you are sneaking into enemy territory in a War, the act should be justified. How long until you find yourself killing anyone that gets into your way, that is the question your DM is probably troubled with.

Talk to the DM about the alignment change; and make sure that both of you are on the same page. Ask the DM what it would take for you to attain your former Alignment if you want it back, or what actions would further shift you into the Lawful Evil/Neutral Evil/Chaotic Evil Spheres.

However, perhaps you just killed some Wizards who were on their way to the Government building to discuss how their actions have offer-stepped the bounds of human dignity etc, etc........

Decisions, Decisions

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Off topic: I understand honor to be gained the making and keeping of promises. Therefore, Honor is never gained by never promising anything, and is lessened by making and then breaking promises. Honor is how true to your word your actions are... and that is all. There is no morality inherent to it.

A person who promises to kill ten thousand people and does so gains a sort of honor. A person who is always on time could be said to be honorable. A person who swears to uphold the law, and does so is also honorable. A person who lies- even to say 'everything will be OK'- is committing a dishonorable act. A person who tells you "I will betray you if you trust me" is committing strangely honorable act.
    It is how true you are.

On topic:
    Cold blooded murder is evil. How can you possibly be certain the men you killed deserved it? Did someone Detect Evil? What if they were just some guys who knew they lived in an awful system but felt powerless to change it? What if they were part of a 'loyal opposition' trying to change the politics of the empire from the inside? What if they were part of a disloyal opposition, trying to meet and assist a new resistance fighter? (namely you?)
    While all that is unlikely, and you very well my have murdered a mustache-twirling villain, cold-blooded murder is still an evil act. However, it would take many such evil acts to force an alignment shift.
    How many? I don't know. But when you are looking upon the blood-soaked corpse at your feet, and you don't feel the slightest bit of emotion about killing this thing that was once a creature with hopes and dreams like you.... When there is no anger, sorrow, pity or compassion... you are there.

I was going to say something about paladins... but instead I shall say something about Ninjas.

WOAH, Ninja'd!
    I waste too much time doing the things I like rather than doing the things that need to get done.

Oh well.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You're not in the city to kill the wizards, though, you're in the city to accomplish your plot objectives. As such, killing the wizards is essentially unpremeditated, and when your mind immediately leaps to killing when you're not in combat with somebody, with no planning or rational consideration, then the DM can rightfully be worried that your character is evil. That said, nobody switches alignment for just one act. Alignment is supposed to describe your actions as a whole, not dictate them in individual cases. Your DM is still way off-base.
    I've lost count the number of times i've heard this.

A faustian pact instantly LE.
    What you did was evil but from what I think, not enough to make you evil.
    Now honour is really odd.
    I read some sort of honour handbook for dnd.
    It said that honourable people look down on giants because they are big. So a lawful good paladin would be looked down no by halflings because he can poke something from 20 feet with a lance.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess the real question is.. WHY did you kill the two wizards? Were they just walking down the street and you saw them and decided wth, easy kills or ???

Without knowing all aspects.... definately seems Chaotic, and could be construed as evil.

But then again.. you are in an enemy empire, who is invading your country so everyone could be seen as a potential enemy, if your character is ruthless.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Guilt by association much? Just because the two victims were wizards in a nation where there's a systematic genocide against non-casters doesn't mean that the two were actually involved in this genocide.

Unless your have some reason to suspect the wizards were guilty of anything other than not being on the short stick of their own government (which isn't a form of guilt, for the record) the yes, it was cold blooded murder, completely unjustified.

They could have been citizens that were just trying to get along with their lives, and there's no reason to assume otherwise.

Does this make your character evil? I don't know, people are complicated, (even when you use alignments) and I certainly don't have all the necessary information.
    But this piece of info I have undoubtedly points to the deep end of the alignment pool.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2011-03-13 at 03:16 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I've lost count the number of times i've heard this.

A faustian pact instantly LE.
    Yes, and this is also true for a Helm of Opposite Alignment. These are both magical effects. The point I was making is that just going about your business non-magically should never be enough to instantly change your alignment.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

The problem is: how many cold-blooded murders does it take to send you to the deep end of the alignement pool? 1? 2? 5? 10?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tekren View Post
    On topic:
    Cold blooded murder is evil. How can you possibly be certain the men you killed deserved it? Did someone Detect Evil?
    Just gonna throw my 2 copper in here and say that things detecting as Evil isn't generally a good enough reason to kill them, even for Paladins or other such crusaders of Good-with-a-capital-G.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
    The problem is: how many cold-blooded murders does it take to send you to the deep end of the alignement pool? 1? 2? 5? 10?
    Depends on your definition: I have personally been a Lawful Good Cleric who walked into a city of Hobgoblins and killed thousands while setting fire to it in order to prevent an upcoming war and it was considered a "good" act by the DM because the other option was WW IV.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #30

Beholder

Depends if the world is cut-and-dry. Is everyone who is a spellcaster within this empire automatically a villain? Are there no pockets of officials and guards who think differently from the empire? Are some merely complacent rather than supportive?