New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Fey or Infernal Hexblade

So I like both of these progressions but I'm not sure which to really go with...

I'm not a big fan of fire or ice and the fluff for both are on the same level.

I like the idea of being able to summon a Pit Fiend (Infernal) over a Treant (Fey)

Are there any big differences in play style that I'm missing though? Fey get to teleport but Infernal gets temp HP.... Hmmm
    It's like killing two pigs with one stone!

Anyone looking for group in Pittsburgh send me a message

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Fey or Infernal Hexblade

I like the Fey pact hexblade, myself. Teleports? Invisibility? Yes please.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's additional Hexblade Pacts in Dragon. #393 has the Star Pact and the Lady of the White Well (variant Fey Pact).

Also, the first two Hexblade pacts are ones that you make if you plan on flipping off the other end: Winter fey hearts are as cold as their lands, and Devils are Always Evil (except when they aren't).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Fey, at least on a mechanical level. The Infernal pact has inferior power selection, arguably inferior features, and a markedly inferior at-will attack in Soul Eater; necrotic damage is fail, though you can use a damage type converter to get around that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, when you compare light blade and frost weapons vs necrotic damage and non light blades you begin to get a very slanted scale on a class that follows all the basics of a charger build. (ie. Light blade feats, surprising charge from a multiclass, frostcheese, ect)

I am currently playing and enjoying a White Well pact myself and while it isn't bad mechanically, it still pales in comparison to your Fey pact for optimization. That said, I love the Fey/Arthurian fluff and I enjoy the fun of a low level high attack reflex MBA sprinkled with radiant damage.
    Some men are born to kill.
    Others push people around.
    A few are destined to lead

I was born a tank.

¶▅c●▄███████||▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅||█
    ▄████████████████▅▄▃▂ Avatar by Lordsmoothe
    █E█V█I█S█C█E█R█A█T█O█R██►
    ◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mechanically, I believe the fey build is better and has more powerful options.

I really like the play style of an infernal that focuses on retaliating against those that hit, though. The stats match up perfectly for the tiefling, too, and the Con-based dailies are usually better for the Hexblade than Charisma-based ones (at least at low levels).