New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Spellwarp Sniper

I was thinking about rolling up a spellwarp sniper in a (pathfinder, prestige class was okayed and converted by the GM)game I will be playing in and I noticed that you need point blank shot as a prerequisite. This led me to assume that it can be used with a ray, I am not familiar with 3.5 rules so it may be something that was taken out of pathfinder because it is stated in the pathfinder book that it can be used with a range weapon and there is no mention of a ray. However, The weapon focus feat allows you to select ray as long as you are a caster, does this mean that within reason you can use any feat that requires a ranged weapon with a ray providing the actions were possible.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Spellwarp Sniper

It specifically states this in many cases, as rays are "weapon-like" spells, so yes.
    Excellent Ponsoon avatar by Akrim.elf!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    Everybody outsmarts Nale. Including Nale.
    I will be unable to post for an undetermined amount of time due to medical problems and family problems. Just a notice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yup! Rays crit too!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Unless I'm mistaken (and I may be), Rays are Ranged Touch Attacks. A Ranged Touch functions like a regular Touch, meaning that they roll for attack, can crit, backstab and so on and so on. Using a ray is like using a weapon, meaning that you have to aim and you can potentially aim well. As such, there's a bunch of feats and things that can potentially affect them, whereas most regular spells can't really just plain miss.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I may have missed or misunderstood something.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmann View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken (and I may be), Rays are Ranged Touch Attacks. A Ranged Touch functions like a regular Touch, meaning that they roll for attack, can crit, backstab and so on and so on. Using a ray is like using a weapon, meaning that you have to aim and you can potentially aim well. As such, there's a bunch of feats and things that can potentially affect them, whereas most regular spells can't really just plain miss.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I may have missed or misunderstood something.
    You are quite correct. Weapon focus (Ranged Spell) is a good choice. Actually, I've found that kinda odd. Some feats say "Ranged Spell" (As Weapon Focus) while some instead just say "Ray". Why wouldn't you want to include all weapon-like spells if that was a option?

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature