New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default What if OotS never ends?

Not if there's no end to the story, but for whatever reason, you never got to read it because it was never finished. Let's say it happens after the most recent comic posted before you read this thread?

How would it color your impression of the comic?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: What if OotS never ends?

At one point, it'd get stale and lame. Characters either got dragged through it and decayed long after their character-delevopment was over (the point was made) or stuff goes on and Character Development piles on Character Development until it becomes awkward to ridiculous.

A good story needs a good end. Or at some point it stops being a good story.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    At one point, it'd get stale and lame. Characters either got dragged through it and decayed long after their character-delevopment was over (the point was made) or stuff goes on and Character Development piles on Character Development until it becomes awkward to ridiculous.

A good story needs a good end. Or at some point it stops being a good story.
    No no, I mean let's say the comic just stops being made, and there's no notes left for anyone to finish the story.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainIreland View Post
    No no, I mean let's say the comic just stops being made, and there's no notes left for anyone to finish the story.
    Now, that would be... bad.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

cool Re: What if OotS never ends?

I'd be sad :| I really love the writing, the characters, and the story arcs in OOTS. I look forward to finding out where the character arcs are going to end up.

One of the reasons I obsess over this comic is that I know how much the Giant appreciates good writing (as evidenced by his commentary about JMS/Babylon 5 in a recent book, I think it was DStP?), and I know that he has the major story arcs plotted in advance. I'm glad he's keeping those secret until the appropriate time, but it does create a risk if he doesn't manage to finish the intended story.

I already went through the "stopped being made" scenario once and in that case the author HAD left notes (Robert Jordan, who died before finishing the Wheel of Time), but I still lost faith in the series. (I haven't actually read either of Brandon Sanderson's follow up books... I am waiting until he FINISHES the damn series, because I refuse to get burned the same way again if he gets hit by a bus. C'mon Brandon, one book to go, you can do it!).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

You might as well read those books in Wheel of Time, they're the best out of the series honestly. The 5 before it are practically filler in comparison.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It would mean the Snarl got loose.

The End!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that would suck, but there wouldn't really be anything we could do about it, so... meh? I don't know, what're fishing for here?

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBlue View Post
    You might as well read those books in Wheel of Time, they're the best out of the series honestly. The 5 before it are practically filler in comparison.
    I'm currently re-reading the entire series (there's just so much going on I always forget half of it), then add the 2 Brandon Sanderson books I've not yet read, so i'm ready for the last one in October or when it's going to be released.

To the OP, I hope it won't come to that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

I agree with Zevox. What are you looking for? If the comic abruptly ended in the middle then...the comic would have abruptly ended in the middle.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It would be sad. If there are never notes or anything to let anyone know what the end could have been like, it would be a great loss, a mystery, and I would torture myself wondering how it would have ended.

So I'll just hope this won't happen. Seriously, it would be bad, and I don't think anything would make it better, be it someone else taking the story (but without notes to go from) or fans providing various interpretation of what they think the ending should be...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, not much to say besides "this sucks!". And an eulogy to rich if his trepassing was the cause of the halt.
    HEck, if *I* was hit by a bus, my last tougth may well be "No! I'll never get to know how oots ends!"
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy Threads of Hypothetical Depression, Batman!
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

That would be because Sanderson is a much better author than Jordan is.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be more concerned for the forums at large since The Giant runs them & if he's not doing OotS any more I can see him probably not keeping them up either.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-05-31 at 03:20 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Agreed. I can only stand a braid being tugged so much before I stop caring.

Overall though, I think he read the abridged WoT and went out of his way to avoid making the same mistakes. I wonder how many books Jordan intended for the material that Sanderson is presenting to take... probably 10.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Agreed. I can only stand a braid being tugged so much before I stop caring.
    LOL! So very true. I'm still not going to read any of Sanderson's work until he finishes it though, no matter how well written it is :)

To quote the protagonist from Secret Window (the movie at least, I never read Stephen King's book): "The ending is the most important part of the story." So before I start reading a story these days, I want to know that it ends well. I certainly do NOT want to know HOW it ends (eek, spoilers!), just that after reading it, people aren't disappointed by a lackluster ending.

It is for this reason that I generally wait until TV series have finished their entire run before I even start watching them on DVD (still haven't seen Lost!), and for novel series to finish their run before starting them (I made an exception for Wheel of Time and look where that got me... I was 1 book into it when I found out that Jordan had, in fact, died two weeks before I bought the book) :P
    Last edited by Vorynn; 2011-05-31 at 04:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vorynn View Post
    (...)
    So before I start reading a story these days, I want to know that it ends well. I certainly do NOT want to know HOW it ends (eek, spoilers!), just that after reading it, people aren't disappointed by a lackluster ending.
    (...)
    (still haven't seen Lost!)P
    Don't bother, then. After six seasons we learned that the scrpit was being written on the go. At the end, the writers were unable to wrap up all the loose ends (in fact, they were unable to tie ANY loose end) and chose to substitute the proper ending they were unable to produce with a cheap sentimental shot.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, that's the reason for everything? a giant cork?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Don't bother, then. After six seasons we learned that the scrpit was being written on the go. At the end, the writers were unable to wrap up all the loose ends (in fact, they were unable to tie ANY loose end) and chose to substitute the proper ending they were unable to produce with a cheap sentimental shot.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, that's the reason for everything? a giant cork?
    That's not true, and plenty (almost all) of the loose ends were tied. They might not have been to your satisfaction, and they might not have been tied in a fully explicit way (some were implicitly obvious). But this thread is not the place to discuss this anywho.

Don't listen to him Vorynn, if you want to watch LOST, it is a great show, and I definitely recommend it. It isn't a perfect show, but it is really worth watching.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I'd be more concerned for the forums at large since The Giant runs them & if he's not doing OotS any more I can see him probably not keeping them up either.

Let's pray that doesn't happen.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

21. - Top - End - #21

Not if there's no end to the story, but for whatever reason, you never got to read it because it was never finished. Let's say it happens after the most recent comic posted before you read this thread?

Do you mean if the Giant would just stop updating?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Do you mean if the Giant would just stop updating?
    I think that's the idea; either because he can't finish it or just chooses not to anymore (eg. burn out, lottery win, massive trolling of the fans by not telling us the end, etc.).
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-05-31 at 05:54 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I think that's the idea; either because he can't finish it or just chooses not to anymore (eg. burn out, lottery win, massive trolling of the fans by not telling us the end, etc.).
    Oh. Hmmm. I'd probably be incredibly depressed and haunt the OoTs forum talking about what might happen. And arguing about whether the lack of updates is a long waiting time, or whether everything's over.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vorynn View Post
    LOL! So very true. I'm still not going to read any of Sanderson's work until he finishes it though, no matter how well written it is :)
    I'd stopped reading them before Jordan died--I still haven't read the last two he finished. Well, I started on the 9th book, but quickly realized that it had been so long since the 8th volume came out that I'd forgotten who most of the character were. I had been losing interest in the story anyhow, because the last few books hadn't really been very good, and I just didn't want to have to go back and re-read them to refresh my memory.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

If the comic stopped now, I imagine my impression of the comic would be what it is now, too.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    if *I* was hit by a bus, my last tougth may well be "No! I'll never get to know how oots ends!"
    This made me chuckle. Good work sir or madam.

(I have nothing to actually add to the discussion.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Consider the following story from real life:

Stephen King begins writing the Dark Tower Series.

After getting in 3/7 books, Stephen King decides to take a LONG time off until writing the forth book and onwards.

During this time, Stephen King refuses to tell even old grannies on their death beds whether or not Roland reaches his tower...

Granny dies, (along with many others), doesn't get to read the rest of the book series which comes out some odd number of years later. (After Stephen King almost dies after being hit by some truck driver).

The Moral of the Story:
    We should be thankful for what we've got.
    (And hope that Rich doesn't get hit by some guy in a truck).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'd be thinking that as well, to be honest.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

I've tried reading some on Sanderson's other works after he was announced to be the torch bearer for the Wheel of Time, and frankly, they didn't seem that good, I just could'nt really get into them.

This had me terrified for the ending of WOT, but when they came out, I was pleasantly suprised to find that I actually prefered them to any of the ones Robert Jordan actually wrote.

I don't think its so much that Sanderson is a better author overall, but somehow Jordans Material with note guidance and Sanderson's writing style somehow combined Voltron-like into something better then either of the two seperately.

Also, along with OOTs, I live in terror every day that something will happen to George RR Martin before he finishes song of Ice and Fire or Jim Butcher before he finishes the Dresden Files. I do so hate that sense of unease that comes from being so deeply involved into an ongoing serries that has yet to be finished.
    Last edited by Thanatosia; 2011-05-31 at 11:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    If the comic stopped now, I imagine my impression of the comic would be what it is now, too.
    For myself, I don't think that would be true at all.

The sense of an "ending" is tremendously important to how we view fiction. (Arguably, it's the most basic difference between real and fictional stories.) A story that promises and builds systematically towards an ending, and then doesn't deliver it... that's an unusual thing, and it provokes an entirely different kind of interest.

My guess is that most of us would experience it as a mild (to moderate) form of loss, and would go through the usual phases of denial ("It can't be true, it must be a hoax"), anger ("what the ... WHO DID THIS? Let me at them!!"), bargaining ("maybe Rich would continue if we send him money?"), depression, and acceptance (at which point they're simply getting on with their own lives).

As part of the "bargaining" stage, I imagine some of the more creative fans would start up their own fanfic attempts to finish the main plot. Some of these might be good enough to gain a modest following, although based on what we see daily on the forums, my expectations wouldn't be high.

And finally, after a few months, the OOTS would be pretty well forgotten. Only diehard fans would continue to visit, maybe link to their favourite comics from time to time to make a point... but in terms of general buzz and new readers, there would be - none, ever again.

As against that: if the story does finish and successfully wrap up its loose ends, I can see it as a cult classic, gaining a small but steady stream of new followers for decades to come.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain