Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales: Now available in PDF format from Gumroad
Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales is now on sale in PDF format from Gumroad - with 6 never-before-collected bonus comics!

Thread: Skilled [Feat]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Skilled [Feat]

My ultra-simple solution to the useless skill feats like 'deceitful' or 'animal affinity'. I think this brings them up a good amount in power, but not enough to break them.

Skilled
    Choose any two skills when you take this feat. These skills are always considered to be class skills for you, and you gain a +2 bonus to these skills.
    Special: You may take this feat more than once. Each time you take it, you must choose a new set of skills.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2011-07-03 at 04:35 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Talented [Feat]

I'd cap the maximum number of times you can take this feat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I like it. It's fairly powerful due to being able to give any character UMD as a class skill forever, and can be useless if you choose crappy skills, but I would say it's fine. I believe there's a feat that grants one skill as a class skill, and there are several that grant all Knowledges as class skills, so this isn't too out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphate View Post
    Why bother? There are only so many skills you'd want to use this on, anyway.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2011-07-03 at 02:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Lucid Dreaming comes to mind. As does UMD.
    MooseyMooseITP

Current Avi: By Dirtytabs.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphate View Post
    To parrot Lateral, why? You only have so many feats to spend in the first place. If you want to spend six feats on Talented, that should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    I like it. It's fairly powerful due to being able to give any character UMD as a class skill forever, and can be useless if you choose crappy skills, but I would say it's fine. I believe there's a feat that grants one skill as a class skill, and there are several that grant all Knowledges as class skills, so this isn't too out of line.
    There's also that human feat that makes every skill a class skill, and a few others worth mentioning. But yes, I'm glad you like it. Hopefully, it's powerful enough to be WORTH taking, but not so powerful as to utterly break the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Man View Post
    UMD I could understand, but why Lucid Dreaming? You don't gain anything from spending time in dream.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Man View Post
    What's Lucid Dreaming?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Letting people choose their own class skills could be dangerous, whether by allowing earlier entrance to PrCs or allowing powerful skills to already powerful classes (say, a wizard with UMD)*, etc.

*Although human paragon still has some of this issue. Still, that at least takes a level and a specific race, not just a feat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    Letting people choose their own class skills could be dangerous, whether by allowing earlier entrance to PrCs or allowing powerful skills to already powerful classes (say, a wizard with UMD)*, etc.

*Although human paragon still has some of this issue. Still, that at least takes a level and a specific race, not just a feat.
    What would a Wizard do with UMD, really? It can already autouse scrolls and wands and stuff that are on its class list anyway, and that covers pretty much anything he might need. And it wouldn't really allow earlier PrC entrance, just make getting in to certain PrCs less convoluted.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I like my new UMD-ing, Iajustsu Focus-with-gnomish-quickrazor-off-hand-tiger-claw shenanigans warblade. Thanks.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    I think I like my new UMD-ing, Iajustsu Focus-with-gnomish-quickrazor-off-hand-tiger-claw shenanigans warblade. Thanks.
    You mean the one that would have been even stronger as a Factotum 2/ Warblade 18 with Able Learner anyway?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Note the feat that lets humans make "every skill a class skill", or Able Learner, only cuts the cost to take cross-class skill so it also requires a 1 level dip in a class that has them as a class skill (*cough* Factotum *cough*) so you give up a level of casting, BAB, Fort and Will saves (unless fractional BAB and saves is in use), etc in addition to a feat to truly make them class skills. And even then for the most part that's used to get 1 or 2 class skills, which this grants with an additional bonus.

That said I don't really think this feat is too strong, but it should be noted that it does make some PrCs definitely better ideas (most of the ones I can think of, though, are weak options or options for tier 4 or less classes anyway).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

A different name might be apropriate, as there's a psionic feat of that name in the SRD.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    There's also that human feat that makes every skill a class skill, and a few others worth mentioning. But yes, I'm glad you like it. Hopefully, it's powerful enough to be WORTH taking, but not so powerful as to utterly break the game.
    However, I should point out that Able Learner does not do that. It makes cross-class skills cost 1 skill point, but it does not increase the cap on cross-class skills

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    DM discretion is, of course, advised.

Most PrCs are pretty good about that. This wouldn't give you EARLY entry, though it might make it a little less convoluted to try and get the needed ranks. You'd still have to be of the appropriate level.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Note the feat that lets humans make "every skill a class skill", or Able Learner, only cuts the cost to take cross-class skill so it also requires a 1 level dip in a class that has them as a class skill (*cough* Factotum *cough*) so you give up a level of casting, BAB, Fort and Will saves (unless fractional BAB and saves is in use), etc in addition to a feat to truly make them class skills. And even then for the most part that's used to get 1 or 2 class skills, which this grants with an additional bonus.

That said I don't really think this feat is too strong, but it should be noted that it does make some PrCs definitely better ideas (most of the ones I can think of, though, are weak options or options for tier 4 or less classes anyway).
    Ah. Well, I must not have read that properly, then. Still, as long as factotum exists, I think this is perfectly valid.

Personally, making it easier to get into PrCs is part of the point. I'm really not a fan of the convoluted logistics involved in getting the needed skill ranks for some class.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A different name might be apropriate, as there's a psionic feat of that name in the SRD.
    Suggestions are welcome, but I personally think the name fits this feat better than that one.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. Well, I must not have read that properly, then. Still, as long as factotum exists, I think this is perfectly valid.

Personally, making it easier to get into PrCs is part of the point. I'm really not a fan of the convoluted logistics involved in getting the needed skill ranks for some class.
    Oh yes I agree with the second paragraph. Like I said I don't think it's too powerful in and of itself, just that you were mistaking the actual effects of Able Learner, and that there are almost certainly some cases where it makes a broken build more powerful.

Which is why

DM discretion is, of course, advised.
    Is definitely true.

For a name: what about Skilled, I don't know of one with that name.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2011-07-03 at 04:32 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    For a name: what about Skilled, I don't know of one with that name.
    That fits perfectly, actually. General enough to work for anything, and nothing else shares it's name.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skilled [Feat]

What would a Wizard do with UMD, really? It can already autouse scrolls and wands and stuff that are on its class list anyway, and that covers pretty much anything he might need.
    He might want cleric spells or banned spells, or (to take the example of one impressive build I've seen) let his familiar use wands.

And it wouldn't really allow earlier PrC entrance, just make getting in to certain PrCs less convoluted.
    That probably depends on what classes are available; with only core base classes, for instance, it'd mean you could enter Duelist at level 7 rather than 8.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean the one that would have been even stronger as a Factotum 2/ Warblade 18 with Able Learner anyway?

....Yeah...That's the one....
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

19. - Top - End - #19

That probably depends on what classes are available; with only core base classes, for instance, it'd mean you could enter Duelist at level 7 rather than 8.
    Well, the question there is not 'how are you getting into duelist early', it's 'why are you taking duelist in the first place'.

But really most of them are going to make it so you can enter maybe one, two levels early. Tops. Nothing particularly game-breaking.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

There are ways of getting almost any skill in-class with feats. This just makes it easier than having to find them.
    Last edited by Veyr; 2011-07-04 at 01:06 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

He might want cleric spells or banned spells, or (to take the example of one impressive build I've seen) let his familiar use wands.
    Given Charisma isn't a Wizard's primary, secondary or even tertiary ability most of the time, I'm not overly worried about them UMDing. On a Sorcerer, though...
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!