New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Bloodline Guide] What in the Nine Hells is a Bloodline?

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    My, I was double swordsage'd. And I don't think I've actually seen any of your work - you really oughta get an Extended Signature if you have more than three or so things posted. I'd be interested to take a look at what you've made.
    Check my sig now
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not sure if there has been much talk about the Vampiric bloodline but when I think about the idea of blood drain I think that the Blood King with a Vampiric Bloodline Drain 'gift'. Temporarily gain a bloodline that doesn't count against your bloodline limit, but maybe only maxing out at a total of temp bloodlines equaling level/4

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

I have 3 questions for you Welknair:

Have other people been making Bloodlines?
    Is there a collated list of such Bloodlies?
    Can you make an Incarnum Bloodline (pretty please)?

I also have a reiteration of how much I like your Bloodlines:

A lot
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-09-22 at 05:31 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I have 3 questions for you Welknair:

Is there a collated list of such Bloodlies?
    Can you make an Incarnum Bloodline (pretty please)?

I also have a reiteration of how much I like your Bloodlines:

A lot
    1. Yes, they have. I'd suggest flipping through the other pages of this thread looking for hyper links. To my knowledge, any bloodline not created by myself has been linked somewhere in this thread.
    2. No, there is not such a list as of now. I do however have an idea for another thread "Tome of Blood", which would include links to all bloodline material, made by myself and others, as well as additional information on their role in the world. I even came up with rules for how Bloodlines Heredity and mixing works, which I'm planning on posting.
    3. I believe that Pyromancer made one. I've never used Incarnum myself, and as such it is somewhat difficult to judge the exact balance level, but it seems decent and the other 'brewers had a healthy discussion about it. The Soulbred, I think it was.

And I'm glad you like em.

Have you checked out the Blood King, the Bloodline Base Class I'll be playing in the Homebrewer's campaign?

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post

I have. I made an Incarnum bloodline(linked to by Welknair), and also two Weapons of Legacy-themed bloodlines.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

I made a pretty bad construct themed one. I didn't have much to work with, but I didn't do a good job with what I had.

I also made a race that gets two major lines (or 8 minor ones with Welknair's mudblood line), that one I actually like.
    Not much room to take Blood King levels, though. 10 at the most, if you want to avoid XP penalties. Which effectively gives the character 3 more intermediate lines, or six minor lines. Which is not as good as a blood king 20

How many bloodlines have you "Finished", but not posted yet, welknair?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    How many bloodlines have you "Finished", but not posted yet, welknair?
    The Blood Chameleon is just about done. There's one or two values that may need tweaking, but hopefully PEACHing will help with that.

I'm one ability away from having the Destined Protector done.

The Family Business Heir and the Tower of Knowledge both have about half the required Specials.

And I have a ton of ideas for bloodlines which I haven't yet put on my to-do list or earnestly started.

Lastly I've been coming up with ideas for the Tome of Blood, which I've mentioned a couple of times. It'd be, among other things, a compilation of links to bloodline-related brewing, much as Owthro has his thread for derivative material. It would additionally include other information I don't know where to put, such as my genealogy system or the "Blooded Beast" idea. I also have ideas for a chain of feats for spellcasters starting with "Blood Magic" and all with the [Blood] tag. Among other things, you'd be able to use the blood of creatures to empower your spells, with higher-HD creatures and those with Bloodlines providing more of a bonus. And now that I think about it, I should probably consult with Pyro on that one, as he's the resident feat-chain expert..

But yeah. Ideas flying everywhere.

And I'm actively working on the rewrites for the magic systems in the game I'm developing. Players recently had a phenomenal combat. I love it.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Saw your link somewhere and it got me re-interested in bloodlines. I thought they were neat when I first saw UA, but when I mentioned them to my DM he said they were kind of weak for what you give up, so I forgot about them. But your Blade-Child and Name Given inspired me to create my own series. Here is the first:
    Child of Now
    Last edited by GunbladeKnight; 2011-09-23 at 02:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

What is rhe family business and tower of knowledge bloodlines about? Is the destined protector based on the fatekeeper class?

I hope the business is about making money.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    What is rhe family business and tower of knowledge bloodlines about? Is the destined protector based on the fatekeeper class?

I hope the business is about making money.
    The Family Bussiness Heir was actually inspired by a character in my first play-by-post game. One of the players had his character be a part-time construction worker. He wanted to have a bloodline, but the closest was Tinkerer. The entire fluff was "Son, you come from a long line of construction Workers". It was too good not to use eventually. And yes, earning money is a primary feature.

Tower of Knowledge is a know-it-all class, getting something akin to Bardic Knowledge pretty early on.

Destined Protector is a tank. Lots of protect-y powers, such as ones that allow you to split damage with nearby allies, switch places with them if they're in danger, etc.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

RedWizardGuy

The Family Bussiness Heir was actually inspired by a character in my first play-by-post game. One of the players had his character be a part-time construction worker. He wanted to have a bloodline, but the closest was Tinkerer. The entire fluff was "Son, you come from a long line of construction Workers". It was too good not to use eventually. And yes, earning money is a primary feature.

Tower of Knowledge is a know-it-all class, getting something akin to Bardic Knowledge pretty early on.

Destined Protector is a tank. Lots of protect-y powers, such as ones that allow you to split damage with nearby allies, switch places with them if they're in danger, etc.
    I think I just had a nerdgasm. These concepts sound most delightful and I look forward to seeing them soon.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-09-23 at 11:08 AM.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

You mean this Heir would be for the profession(X) skill. Know it all would be knowledge(X) [or all]? I think your next thought would be for the perfom(X) skill, no?!?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

You mean this Heir would be for the profession(X) skill. Know it all would be knowledge(X) [or all]? I think your next thought would be for the perfom(X) skill, no?!?
    Master Mime Bloodline!!!
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

New bloodline: The Talented. XD

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

lol @ Kobold-Bard and Master Mime.

I smiled at first just reading it but then I remembered Welknair's little quote.

"-fluff was "Son, you come from a long line of construction Workers". "

Then I put the two together trying to picture a Mime father telling his Mime son the very same thing. Or in fact an entire mime family (seeing as how they have Mimer's blood running through them veins).

Anywho, @ Welknair. What kind of abilities have you come up with the Heir?

Question. If you have dragon descendent bloodline are you considered "dragon-blooded" sub-type?
    _____________________________________-

On another note. I'm sure you have thought of using the standard "blood" class ability that one sees quite often (meaning making weapons or armour out of your blood. If you did you obviously decided to leave it out. I was just wondering if you would consider it again.

Maybe Pyromancer could make a chain of feats for it. I kind of like the idea from the Amechra's Wanderler (sp?) class that give you bonuses against the same bloodline. So if you do make a blood weapon it maybe gets bane for that bloodline (you know your blood's weakness and you can creat "anti-bloodline" antibody or something [another feat?])

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Random idea: a set of weapon enhancements that function by having a person with a bloodline bleed on them, giving a different effect based off of the bleeder.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Or a Bloodline Scion class, with one or more Legendary weapons for it, with some morphic abilities based on the bloodline?

Alright. Race ya to make it?
    Never mind. Too much on my plate. I'll just use the Battle Scion, and make some Legendary Weapons based on Bloodlines for it.
    Last edited by flabort; 2011-09-25 at 02:13 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, the Heir focuses on Profession. I was planning on the Tower of Knowledge being everything. I hadn't even considered a Perform based one..

Anywho, @ Welknair. What kind of abilities have you come up with the Heir?

Question. If you have dragon descendent bloodline are you considered "dragon-blooded" sub-type?
    _____________________________________-

On another note. I'm sure you have thought of using the standard "blood" class ability that one sees quite often (meaning making weapons or armour out of your blood.
    1. The most basic is giving boosts to the skill. I also have ones that allow you to inherit a small team of workers, one that allows you to barge into about anywhere and demand a job, etc..

2. You could rule that. I haven't dealt a lot with the draconic feats and things requiring that specific subtype, but it would make sense.

3. Never even heard of that ability Would you mind enlightening me? What book is it found in?

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Random idea: a set of weapon enhancements that function by having a person with a bloodline bleed on them, giving a different effect based off of the bleeder.
    Sounds very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Or a Bloodline Scion class, with one or more Legendary weapons for it, with some morphic abilities based on the bloodline?

Alright. Race ya to make it?
    Never mind. Too much on my plate. I'll just use the Battle Scion, and make some Legendary Weapons based on Bloodlines for it.
    Ah, the Scions. Used those in my last D&D campaign. A set of Legendary Weapons based on the bloodlines would be very neat.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-09-25 at 03:38 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, the Scions. Used those in my last D&D campaign. A set of Legendary Weapons based on the bloodlines would be very neat.
    The first one I'm working on is based off of Hero-Born (If that's all right), and works with any lineage within that line. (Battle Scion)
    I'll be working on one based on inherit next. (Battle Scion)
    I don't have any ideas yet for one that works with multiple bloodlines, but assuming the Chameleon line is out by then, I'll use that next (Also battle scion)
    Then Half-bloods (faith scion), Magyk touched (spell scion), glamerkin (spell scion), and then something for the swift scion. I'm not sure which.

I assume you're OK with me using your bloodlines for these, since you seem otherwise ok with using them for other things, but if you want me to not use yours, I'll stop.

Now, if anyone wants to do any weapons for the one's I've listed, before I get to them, go ahead. I'm taking on a big load by deciding to do this.

--------------

I was wondering if you or anyone else was planning on making a PrC for the Blood King. And what the sub-theme might be.
    I was thinking one PrC might focus on one line, to the point that it can put more points into it that it has character levels.

--------------

What happens when you take a bloodline beyond 20? It'd be interesting to see epic bloodlines, starting at level 21, going to level 40+. This would be a project and a half beyond bloodlines, though, and we probably won't see anyone making them for several weeks/months.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

I haven't read previous posts, but honestly this will show you all you have to know.http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.html

You know what they say about dwarves, right?
    That they're stupid?
    What? Who said that?! Don't be such a racist, Phil.

~Gorgeous Avatar by GrlumpTheElder

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonystony View Post
    I haven't read previous posts, but honestly this will show you all you have to know.http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.html
    *facepalm* It's linked in the first post already, as well as the other changes Welknair has already talked about.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

22. - Top - End - #142

RedWizardGuy

You really should. He's already linked this.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-09-25 at 06:29 PM.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

As Cieyrin + Pyromancer999 said, it's already linked in the first post. And Welknair has already explained what's presented there, and what's different in his lines.

He's not actually asking "What is a bloodline?", he's using it as a title for an extensive explanation, saying "This is a bloodline, and it does this and this and this."

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

There's nothing to say that hasn't already been said... But yeah. I know.

Tip: If you're too lazy to read even the first post of a topic, don't post in it. You have a decent chance of making yourself look like an idiot. I know. I've done it.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Using blood as a weapon I've seen from not a book but different prestige classes. Granted a few might have come from DnD Wiki. In regards to your class though. Maybe the Blood King could simply use his/hers BP to create a weapon or armour.

http://www.mangareader.net/blood-soul/1/27

(Just quick info on this manga. Main guy has been killing people with his sword and the blood of his victims soaks into his sword and creates a tribal like design on it. This page and the few following it simply shows the applications he uses for his blood. Another note this guy is a vampire and one of his soon to be victims calls him "Blood Ruler" which struck accord with this class)

As to Amechra's or the scion that was mentioned earlier. I find it very cool (even if the weapon is not made of blood itself) if one can summon a weapon from one's own blood. Gives a new meaning for Legacy Weapon, don't you think.(passed down from one generation to the next In The Blood!!)
    Last edited by Merchant; 2011-09-26 at 12:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Firbolg in the Playground

Using blood as a weapon I've seen from not a book but different prestige classes. Granted a few might have come from DnD Wiki. In regards to your class though. Maybe the Blood King could simply use his/hers BP to create a weapon or armour.

http://www.mangareader.net/blood-soul/1/27

(Just quick info on this manga. Main guy has been killing people with his sword and the blood of his victims soaks into his sword and creates a tribal like design on it. This page and the few following it simply shows the applications he uses for his blood. Another note this guy is a vampire and one of his soon to be victims calls him "Blood Ruler" which struck accord with this class)

As to Amechra's or the scion that was mentioned earlier. I find it very cool (even if the weapon is not made of blood itself) if one can summon a weapon from one's own blood. Gives a new meaning for Legacy Weapon, don't you think.(passed down from one generation to the next In The Blood!!)
    why not make it a PrC and feat chain?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

...I just had an idea that will take from an old competition-winning class of mine, many physical-combat-based 'brews, and nearly every bloodline created here so far.

Even though my experience with bloodlines is severely limited.

Thank you Pyro for the informative PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

28. - Top - End - #148

RedWizardGuy

In regards to Amechra's suggestion it sounds similar but alot more complex and diverse than the same abilities. (and when I say complex and diverse, I mean more insteresting)

I have already made a Weapons/Monsters of Legacy bloodline. Still, blood doesn't factor, so it'd be interesting to see something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post

No problem. And I'll be willing to contribute any knowledge I have on bloodlines, as I've made a couple myself.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-09-26 at 05:25 PM.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    ...I just had an idea that will take from an old competition-winning class of mine, many physical-combat-based 'brews, and nearly every bloodline created here so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    No problem. And I'll be willing to contribute any knowledge I have on bloodlines, as I've made a couple myself.
    I have no clue what you're talking about, but I certainly look forward to seeing the result.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think he's making a Hemoscribe PrC that uses blood from bloodlines somehow.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam