New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Your Choice House Rules

Exactly what it says on the tin - I'm interested in hearing your table's house rules, and why. If you're a player, what house rules does your GM use, and do you like them or not? What was the effect of those house rules on your game, and would you use them again? Rules for any system are fine, but you should probably label them so we know what you're talking about.

I'll start with one of mine (D&D 3.5/Pathfinder)...

Environmental Damage: I keep a rough tally of environmental damage left by AOE spells and abilities on my battle mat. If a floor tile is destroyed, it becomes difficult terrain - if the floor block under that is destroyed, it may open up a hole to the floor below if there is one, or simply create a crater (which can be used to gain partial cover versus ranged attacks). The real fun is when players have to watch their fireballs because the walls are looking fragile and they don't want to bring the roof down on their own heads >:D. In practice, I find it doesn't slow down combat as long as you don't let yourself get bogged down in the numbers - with each AOE, I know whether it failed to damage, damaged, or destroyed the floor under it when damage is rolled, and I draw a circle marking the effected area and write the result.

It also gives most evocation spells a cool battlefield control effect, and a feeling of fun recklessness that I personally enjoy very much (I don't always DM at my table either) - when a lightning bolt leaves behind a 120-ft line of glass along the sandy terrain, that just makes me smile :) . If you're wondering, I use a black pen to keep track of the dungeon layout, a blue pen to keep track of objects of interest/ongoing spells, and a red pen to keep track of environmental damage, so nothing really gets confused.

Let's hear yours!
    Last edited by Squeejee; 2011-08-04 at 12:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Your Choice House Rules

Well, I use an "Environmental Damage" rule similar to yours, for starters, but I think my most notable (or is it notorious?) house rule that I cite frequently on here is my egg-timer rule.

Egg-Timer Rule: You have one minute to decide and state your action during combat rounds. If you fail to do so, you stand there and take a defensive-type action (i.e. "Full Defense" in DnD 3.0/3.5).

(I've found that this one GREATLY speeds up combat in the game, as it forces the player to think about what they're doing during other turns.)

No Electronics: Cell phones on "vibrate," people. Emergency calls only. No laptops, e-readers, iPads, iPods, or anything else at the table. Pencils, paper, books, dice and minis. Those are your tools, use them.

(This is a significant reducer of distractions during the session.)

Rules Discussion Limits: When, and if, a rules question comes up, you get a maximum of 5 minutes to look it up. If you fail to do so, you get an adjudication by the DM/GM/ST/whatever, and the ruling stands until the end of the session. You can plead your case at the end of the session, if you feel the need to do so, but the ruling will probably stand as is.

(Another time-saver. We only get together about once a month. RPG time is valuable time.)

Those are just some of the house rules I use, but I feel like at least two of them are pretty common.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Egg-Timer Rule: You have one minute to decide and state your action during combat rounds. If you fail to do so, you stand there and take a defensive-type action (i.e. "Full Defense" in DnD 3.0/3.5).
    Why Full Defense? Doesn't that break immersion: "For no apparant reason, your character stops fighting and goes on the defensive,"
    Last edited by Boci; 2011-08-04 at 12:30 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Why Full Defense? Doesn't that break immersion: "For no apparant reason, your character stops fighting and goes on the defensive,"
    No more so than the combat coming to a dead stop while someone stares at their character sheet and flips through a copy of the PHB trying to figure out what they want to do next. Definitely not a house rule for newer players or even for most groups, but I can see it working if time is at a premium. I'd describe it fluff-wise as "Your character pauses for a moment while he considers his next strike."

I have to say, I'm stealing that Environmental Damage rule.
    Zombie for Hire
    from roleplaying to theatre to "get the hell off my lawn"
    zombie4hire.wordpress.com

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Archer View Post
    No more so than the combat coming to a dead stop while someone stares at their character sheet and flips through a copy of the PHB trying to figure out what they want to do next. Definitely not a house rule for newer players or even for most groups, but I can see it working if time is at a premium. I'd describe it fluff-wise as "Your character pauses for a moment while he considers his next strike."
    Except the character is activly defending himself. And no a slow player doesn't break imersion for me. Wether a player takes 1 minute or 3 minutes to choose their actions its still the same thing: the game stop for a while. Shorter is better but unless it takes ages it doesn't break imersion for me.
    Last edited by Boci; 2011-08-04 at 01:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe the character doesn't know exactly what to do and trying to analyze the situation takes more than a couple of seconds? (Four seconds of analysis is not breaking immersion, to me.) Going into a defensive stance is a common instinct for many people to do when attacked and they don't react super fast. Obviously, the player wasn't quick thinking enough. Why should the character be?
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    Obviously, the player wasn't quick thinking enough. Why should the character be?
    Because I'm not my character?

All I'm saying is, why not spend 5 second thinking of a good action? "Can't think of anything? Then you attack/charge the nearest enemy," or "You cast a mid level spell, say fireball"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Because I'm not my character?

All I'm saying is, why not spend 5 second thinking of a good action? "Can't think of anything? Then you attack/charge the nearest enemy," or "You cast a mid level spell, say fireball"
    Because default is do nothing. The player thinks of nothing, nothing happens. When the player has a few seconds left, he can really quick say something like 'OkayIjustattackthatguy' or 'fireball.' Otherwise, the DM controls your character. And you aren't really doing nothing. You are defending and analyzing. But if the player doesn't know enough about the situation to come up with what to do, the character probably needs to analyze.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Yeah, this is one of my default rules.

Besides, I find that generally people will just call out a standard attack (or spell) just before their time is up.

As a corollary, no lengthy tactical discussions during combat (first, because you don't have the time; and second, because the enemies will hear you). The time to hold those is before combat.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm not sure the origins of this, but for as long as I can remember, my group has been enjoying a "Rolling Crits" house rule. Basically, any time you roll a 1 or 20 in combat, you get to roll again. So if you get a critical hit, then roll a 20 on your confirmation, you roll a second confirmation. If that hits, you get extra bonus on your hit, usually something along the lines of a free trip/disarm/sunder attempt, or a bonus to your crit multiplier. Obviously, stringing a couple 20s in a row can lead to some pretty devastating hits (although we tend to shy away from simple "instant death"). Or if you roll a 1 on your crit confirmation, you're back to square one and you roll to hit again.

And because we also roll to confirm fumbles (don't ask), with some luck, you can turn a natural 1 into a real hit. Or you can get a couple 1s in a row and do something incredibly stupid. We're not big fans of the old "you swing wide and hit your teammate" fumble, so that's not a thing that usually happens (unless you happen to be shooting into a melee without Precise Shot, or something else similarly stupid), but you might screw up enough to provoke an attack of opportunity, or be considered flat-footed for a round, or something like that.

Yeah, it's needlessly complex, and I know a lot of people don't like fumble rules, but that's how we roll. Mostly because it adds a lot of fun and suspense when someone starts rolling a bunch of 1s and 20s in a row.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

BlueWizardGirl

Timer Rule: You have one minute to decide and state your action during combat rounds. If you fail to do so, you stand there confused and 'loose' your turn. I've had this rule forever. And it works out and everyone agrees things should keep moving.

No Electronics: Cell phones on "vibrate," people. Emergency calls only. I've had to add this one, of course. We all use lap tops and such for game play, but I'm strict about people using them of other things.

Rules Discussion Limits:You get an adjudication by the DM and the ruling stands until the end of the session. You can plead your case at the end of the session, if you feel the need to do so, but the ruling will probably stand as is.

No Questions:Once the game starts, you may not ask the DM questions about the game 'out of character'. Any such questions must wait for a break or be asked during the week.

And no 'can I do this' or 'will this work' type questions are answered during the game, as the answer will always be 'you can try' or 'maybe'. The only way to know if something will work is to try.

Limited BooksA player is generally limited to only looking in 'players' books during the game. Reading monster stat entries is a big no no.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer Girl View Post
    And no 'can I do this' or 'will this work' type questions are answered during the game, as the answer will always be 'you can try' or 'maybe'. The only way to know if something will work is to try.
    Oh yes, I wish that more DMs enforced this one. It's so annoying to have the kind of player who will first figure out the exact odds of success for each possible cause of action before actually doing anything.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Because default is do nothing. The player thinks of nothing, nothing happens. When the player has a few seconds left, he can really quick say something like 'OkayIjustattackthatguy' or 'fireball.' Otherwise, the DM controls your character. And you aren't really doing nothing.
    I agree with that, but only because of the double negative. Natural selection will make sure that such adventurers do not stick around for long.

You are defending and analyzing.
    Fight or flight. People do not instictivly analyze in life or death situations. Especially not adventurers.

But if the player doesn't know enough about the situation to come up with what to do, the character probably needs to analyze.
    No, the player's life is not at stake, the character's is.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my personal favorites is that a natural 20 on a crit confirmation roll does the maximum possible damage, multiplied as appropriate by the critical hit multiplier. And seriously, I feel like players deserve POWAH hits every one in four hundred rolls.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with that, but only because of the double negative. Natural selection will make sure that such adventurers do not stick around for long.

Fight or flight. People do not instictivly analyze in life or death situations. Especially not adventurers.

No, the player's life is not at stake, the character's is.
    Then the players will learn to make a quick, snappy decision on what to do when they have ten seconds left.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Really? So, when you see people fight...on TV, in real life, where ever...you never see them back off for 3-4 seconds, waiting for an opening, or catching a quick breather? If anything, D&D's constant "everyone is doing something at every instant" combat is less realistic.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    One of my personal favorites is that a natural 20 on a crit confirmation roll does the maximum possible damage, multiplied as appropriate by the critical hit multiplier. And seriously, I feel like players deserve POWAH hits every one in four hundred rolls.
    As do their enemies!
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

well, we've got this one houserule where a Candle of Invocation has it's price bumped up to the same price required to cast Gate by a 17th level caster (Including the XP expenditure Gate used to have)

Another one where you MUST finish ALL the levels in a prestige class before choosing a new prestige class.. so pick one that's not just a 2 level dip, or you're going to have to spend on retraining. Base classes use the standard XP penalty chart (Prestige do not)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

No XP: PCs level up once after a standard session, twice if they survived a particularly brutal encounter. We have new players join the group often, and I simply don't have time to explain the XP rules on top of everything else. XP costs for spells are replaced by GP costs equal to 10x the given amount. No XP penalties for multiclassing whatsoever, because most multiclass characters are gimped enough already.

The 'no electronics' rule would ruin games in my group, because a vast majority of our DnD resources (especially homebrew) is kept on cellphones, ipods, e-readers, etc.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

No electronics would have a similar effect on my table - especially given that my GM screen is my laptop - but I may adopt the egg timer rule. Anyway, I have a couple more:

Character Creation: All Pathfinder and 3.5 sources are available, minus a handful of "infinite power loop" combinations. Banning non-core sources only hurts the low-powered characters, plus I like to have maximum options myself and giving that to my players is only fair. Optimization level tends to work itself out among the players - if one player opens the "cheap early entry into prestige classes" door, than I get to open that door with NPCs .

EXP: Tier 1/2 classes advance by Pathfinder's "Slow" XP chart, tier 3/4 advance by the "medium" chart, and tier 5/6 advance by the "fast" chart. In practice, a level six wizard can still outperform a level eight monk - but the difference is MUCH tighter than if they were both level 8. It does get a bit complicated if a player multiclasses into another tier, but common sense can rule that situation.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dead bodies become battlefield obstacles.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

hhhmmm... house rules, house rules. i also use the "1 minute or lose turn" and "rules discussion limit" rules. 2 other house rules i find help quite a bit:
    1) players roll (almost) all of the dice- each enemy has set values of attack, saves, and skill checks. to simulate monsters the players roll defensive rolls, spell rolls and the like. this has the following benefits:
    - players know i don't fumble for them, and the situation feels more dangerous.
    - this usually speeds up the game greatly
    - it makes battles more tactical and players FAR more aware of their enemies capabilities, making them plan and respond more.

2) XP: i don't award XP for defeating monsters, but rather for achieving "accomplishments". there are usually several accomplishments per adventure, some are obvious, some have varying degrees of success, some are hidden, and some are personal per PC. this usually foster an attitude of "solve things cleverly" rather than just "bash the monsters" (though that stays a legit solution... most times) it also means that instead of smaller chunks of XP peppered often, the party get XP less times, but bigger rewards, and after achieving something. it makes it more worthwhile (according to my players).

3)"Oh i forgot"- if a player, or the DM has forgot a bonus (or penalty) and the game moved on to the next person in line, there is no turning back. the affect stays as it was. abusing this to "forget" penalties hasn't happened yet in my group. again- this speeds up game and plyers are mroe aware of their status.

4) minor economics: players are assumed to have "found extra funds" to pay for all kind of little expenses- staying at an inn, gate toll, traveling in a caravan, and anything costing under 20 gp. again- no one abused this yet. if anyone will he'll be smacked or turned of the group.

5) "buy/sell/buy/sell": we find that fiddling with trying to make a profit of stuff greatly slows the game, is quite boring, and makes the DM have to reevaluate the groups WBL. so everything is bought at it's listed price and sol that way. unrealistic i know, but improves the game. from time to time i throw off a "special treasure" which they need to find a buyer for, this usually involves a flavorful bargaining encounter or the like. these are rare.

6) i use the giant's diplomacy rules. these work out really well.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Varil View Post
    Really? So, when you see people fight...on TV, in real life, where ever...you never see them back off for 3-4 seconds, waiting for an opening, or catching a quick breather? If anything, D&D's constant "everyone is doing something at every instant" combat is less realistic.
    Only if the enemy does likewise. If they press the attack, you respond instinctivly if you knbow how to fight.

Then the players will learn to make a quick, snappy decision on what to do when they have ten seconds left.
    If thats always the case then fine, I just don't like houserules that make the whole party should suffer because one player is slow, especially when the solution is easy.
    Last edited by Boci; 2011-08-05 at 02:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Only if the enemy does likewise. If they press the attack, you respond instinctivly if you knbow how to fight.
    I can't say I agree with that. You can see trained fighters of all types go into defensive mode for well over 10 seconds, let alone 6; just watch some boxing matches / MMA fights / fencing competitions. If the other guy gets you on your heels, spending some time just defending while you try to find an opportunity is not at all uncommon.

25. - Top - End - #25

If it takes more than two sentences to explain why your plan should work, it does not.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

26. - Top - End - #26

No Looting in Combat

Haven't used this as a DM, but as a player, it's sort of a....code of conduct. Unless what you're looting will affect the outcome of the fight (wands, potions, magic weapons, ect), you don't loot until all the monsters are dead. That sack of gold coins can wait a few more rounds while you guys kill the orcs.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Just the idea of a group in which such rule would actually become necessary made me a bit sad.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    I can't say I agree with that. You can see trained fighters of all types go into defensive mode for well over 10 seconds, let alone 6; just watch some boxing matches / MMA fights / fencing competitions. If the other guy gets you on your heels, spending some time just defending while you try to find an opportunity is not at all uncommon.
    From my own Jiu Jiutsu experience, I'd say I agree with this sentiment. When a guy is trying to choke you, your first response is typically to defend it - and even then, it's only the really well-disciplined guys who have the state of mind to defend it correctly.

@Silus: Heh, as a player I'd say I'm guilty of breaking that rule. To be fair, if the combat looks to be a hit-and-run, where looting can't occur after the fact, then I'd suspend that rule to let the party stuff their pockets as much as possible before bolting.
    Last edited by Squeejee; 2011-08-05 at 03:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    I don't see that as total defense so much as having an action readied.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    No Looting in Combat

Haven't used this as a DM, but as a player, it's sort of a....code of conduct. Unless what you're looting will affect the outcome of the fight (wands, potions, magic weapons, ect), you don't loot until all the monsters are dead. That sack of gold coins can wait a few more rounds while you guys kill the orcs.
    I once played in an Evil characters campaign where a similar rule came about in character: because no one trusted anyone else, all looting and whatnot was done after the fight, in full view of the entire party, performed by a member of the party other than the rogue.

As an aside, it might be best if the debate on the egg timer rule was moved to its own thread to keep everything a bit simpler.
    Zombie for Hire
    from roleplaying to theatre to "get the hell off my lawn"
    zombie4hire.wordpress.com