Level: Brd 6, Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
    Components: V, S, F/DF
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: One summoned creature
    Duration: 1 round/level (D)
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons you. You appear where you designate.

While summoned, you cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can you use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. You cannot summon yourself into an environment that cannot support you.
    You cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can you appear floating in an empty space. You must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting you.
    You must appear within the spell’s range, but you do not have to remain within the range.
    When the spell ends or is dispelled, you are instantly sent back to where you came from. You also return if you are killed or if your hit points drop to 0 or lower. You are not really dead. You take 24 hours to reform, during which time you can’t be summoned again.

When the spell ends and you return, all the spells you have cast while summoned expire. While summoned, you cannot use any innate summoning abilities you may have, and cannot cast any spells that would cost you XP, or use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells.

When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.

Arcane Focus: A tiny bag and a small (not necessarily lit) candle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Summon Self [Spell, 3.5]

Wow,um, this sort of looks like a higher-level, less-beneficial Teleport spell. Only works for a few rounds, teleports you anywhere you want, but only temporarily, and makes you unable to use conjuration spells, which puts a damper on any summoner-based spellcaster that might consider choosing to learn this spell. I can see a use or two it might have, but I'dsuggest severly lowering the level of the spell.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

So you just casually cast this every time you are in danger of dying? Pretty cheap is you ask me.

4. - Top - End - #4

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Wow,um, this sort of looks like a higher-level, less-beneficial Teleport spell. Only works for a few rounds, teleports you anywhere you want, but only temporarily, and makes you unable to use conjuration spells, which puts a damper on any summoner-based spellcaster that might consider choosing to learn this spell. I can see a use or two it might have, but I'dsuggest severly lowering the level of the spell.
    No way. It's basically an 86400 round immortality. What's not awesome about that? If anything, level should be increased.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you take 24 hours to reform if the spell ends or you are dispelled, or only if you die while you're summoning yourself? There's a bit of syntactic ambiguity there, as the reformation clause doesn't refer to death at all and can be taken to mean that you take 24 hours to reform no matter how you are returned whence you came.

This is a pretty powerful spell, though. It basically means that you have a few rounds during which your death doesn't count, even if you can theoretically die during it. Of course, if circumstances dictate that the place where you were is dangerous or deadly after you return, that would be problematic, but the "get out of hell free" thing still makes this a pretty good spell.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The immortality part is true, but where are you getting 86,400 rounds from?

EDIT: 24 hours. Got it. That said, if you're reforming, you can't really do anything, so ...
    Last edited by gkathellar; 2011-08-05 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

7. - Top - End - #7

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    The immortality part is true, but where are you getting 86,400 rounds from?

EDIT: 24 hours. Got it. That said, if you're reforming, you can't really do anything, so ...

An offensive orc army approaches.Thinking you can overcome them by yourselves, you (as wizzie) and your party, plus a couple dozen soldiers stationed there, come out of your outpost and strike them. All is going well until you suddenly get hit by a sharp arrow, which staggers you. People are dying around you. What are you going to do?

Well, laugh it off, mostly. Quickened Sending to tell someone in the nearest town about the advancing army and to get reinforcements for the outpost. Then just Summon Self...and stab yourself, if you're feeling bored. Wait patiently.

After a day, all defending forces near the outpost were slaughtered. Pleased by the victory, the orcs decided to rest there, and continue their march later. Suddenly, reinforcements are heard coming. The orcs, dazzled by this, still have a numeric advantage. Or do they...

Cause right then and there you come back from za dead, Maximize or Enlarge their behinds, and Summon Self again, just to make sure you never actually, you know, die for real.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

That's ... extremely situational. And I'm not even sure why Summon Self was essential or even useful to your scenario, actually. There's nothing that was done there which you couldn't do better with, say, invisibility.

I'm not saying immortality at level 11 isn't stupid-crazy-broken, mind. It totally is. I'm just pointing out that going out of your way to die under the effects of Summon Self (as opposed to using it as a last-ditch defense when you're going to die either way) still puts you at a disadvantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Also, it's close range, so you can only go a little bit away from your self.
    Excellent Ponsoon avatar by Akrim.elf!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    Everybody outsmarts Nale. Including Nale.
    I will be unable to post for an undetermined amount of time due to medical problems and family problems. Just a notice.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the idea was that someone else summons you.

EDIT: NVM. You appear where you designate.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2011-08-05 at 05:23 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought this was basically the whole point of astral projection.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I think the idea was that someone else summons you.

EDIT: NVM. You appear where you designate.
    That's what Contingencies are for. There are probably a dozen ways to get someone else to summon you with this spell before you consider enchanting hollow red and white spheres.

My only complaint is that the material component should be a small piece of cheese.
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2011-08-05 at 05:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Summoning spells "bring manifestations of objects, creatures, or some form of energy to you". Thus, the whole spell makes no sense (which is why it's so absurd), as what it would have to do is bring a manifestation of yourself, rather than the actual thing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
    Summoning spells "bring manifestations of objects, creatures, or some form of energy to you". Thus, the whole spell makes no sense (which is why it's so absurd), as what it would have to do is bring a manifestation of yourself, rather than the actual thing.
    More technically, it is overpowered. You can't summon something as powerful as yourself with a 6th level spell (nor really should you ever be able to).

As an avoid death spell, I think something like this might be able to work and be called "Temporal Hijinks" or the like.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Seriously, it is terribly overpowered. Basically, I can't think any other spell to cast in the first round of combat.

Play for laught it is almost perfect.
    I would like to see more of them, like Slay Self. Or maybe Blindess: Personal, the whole spell to give meaning to "Don't touch yourself or you'll become blind"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I was thinking along the lines of:

Alice the Wizard teaches Bob the Sorcerer the Summon Self spell.

They go their separate ways.

Bob is in trouble, so he Summons Alice.

Alice and Bob fight and win.

Alice is dismissed, and goes back to whatever she was doing.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't Calling/Summoning spells not affect creatures on the Material?

Or is that just Frank/K?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Don't Calling/Summoning spells not affect creatures on the Material?

Or is that just Frank/K?
    Well, if you want to get down into the nitty-gritty of how the spell works, it makes a tiny (microscopic!) gate to another plane, teleports the caster there, and then summons him back from that plane. At the end of the summoning, this process is reversed.

L2Spell, dude.

19. - Top - End - #19

Actually, this could probably be a really useful spell if the immortality got dropped and the level was lowered while the duration was increased.

Why would that be useful you ask? Well, infiltration, obviously.
    If you're a rogue type the ability to summon yourself (possibly bypassing a wall) and then sneak about with a seamless extraction (the duration expiring) waiting for them at the end of their caper.
    In fact, I'd go so far as to say that in the right hands this could be so useful that a clause stating that they lose anything they didn't summon themselves with upon un-summoning would be perfectly reasonable.
    The Focus Sniper: Boom. Head-shot.
    Spoiler: Older, and somewhat abandoned, classes
    Show
    The Chaote: a free form mage.
    My [wip] Magic fix: everyone has one, but how many encourage multi-classing?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks to all of you for your advice. You have convinced me that a Conjuration (Summoning) spells that summons the caster, while amusing, is not a viable concept for 3.5.

The 'immortality' bit that causes all the problems is straight from the rules for the Summoning subschool. Removing it would make the spell unambiguously Conjuration (Teleportation). This does not inspire me to work further on the spell.

Again, thank you. I hope that you have enjoyed commenting on my idea, and that at least some of you get ideas from this discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature