New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default L5R — Starting Above Insight Rank 1

Hey folks,

I'm currently working on a Legend of the Five Rings campaign that will start around Insight Rank 3. Unfortunately, a quick look through the 4E rulebook has failed to turn up a vital piece of information: how many experience points does a player get when building a higher level character? I clearly remember the 3E book addressing this subject when I first played it, but I have no idea where this stuff might be in the current edition of the rules. Can anyone point to it?

Thanks
    — Enix18

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: L5R — Starting Above Insight Rank 1

Quote Originally Posted by Enix18 View Post
    Hey folks,

I'm currently working on a Legend of the Five Rings campaign that will start around Insight Rank 3. Unfortunately, a quick look through the 4E rulebook has failed to turn up a vital piece of information: how many experience points does a player get when building a higher level character? I clearly remember the 3E book addressing this subject when I first played it, but I have no idea where this stuff might be in the current edition of the rules. Can anyone point to it?

Thanks
    — Enix18
    Rank 3 Insite 175

L5R 4e Core rule book p104
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Yes, that's how much Insight a character needs to be considered Insight Rank 3; however, I want to know how many experience points I should give the players in order to build their characters around that level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hum, be careful, Insight rank 3 can be as much as 100 xp apart.

Better to make the characters together with the players so you can check that you don't sail into a minefield.

As an example the same amount of xp in say Theology would give you a lot more insight then the same amount of xp in Battle.
    Getting a ring up gives an extra 10 Insight per increase, for example putting your Intelligence up from 2 to 3 (assuming your Agility is 3 already) gives you 3 Fire ring ( and 10 Insight) for 12xp.

Putting Battle up worth 10xp would give you 4 insight, going to 5 in the skill gives you an extra 3 insight for a total of 7 insight.
    But that would cost you 15xp.

To be honest for as high an insight as possible for as little xp as possible, putting rings from 2 to 3 seems to be the best way forward if you already have one of the sub sections of the ring at 3.