New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

confused Re: Heliomance's Blasphemously, Trend-Destroyingly Unalliterative Random Banter #167

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic_Comedian View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure when you try to kill yourself they let you out. (Into the psych ward, but yeah.)

"We were cursed, beaten, kicked, and compelled to go through exercises to the extent that a few were unconscious for some minutes. They kept it up for the greater part of the afternoon, and then those who could possibly stand on their feet were compelled to take cold shower baths. One of the boys was scrubbed with a scrubbing brush using lye on him. They drew blood in several places.” —Mennonite from Camp Lee, Virginia, United States, 16 July 1918.

Some things never change.

You guys can probably tell, I was horrified by these stories.
    I could swear my cousin said that stuff was all exaggeration and lies. What boot camp was this? Stuff for CIA assassins? Cant believe this is normal for modern-land time.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2011-08-30 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Little Icon thingey for post
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heliomance's Blasphemously, Trend-Destroyingly Unalliterative Random Banter #167

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    I could swear my cousin said that stuff was all exaggeration and lies. What boot camp was this? Stuff for CIA assassins? Cant believe this is normal for modern-land time.
    My friend's in the national guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That joke is older than a chicken halfway 'cross a road, Comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    This is probably the least amusing thing I've heard all week.
    Awesome avatar courtesy of Ranger Mattos.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Heliomance's Blasphemously, Trend-Destroyingly Unalliterative Random Banter #167

My friend's in the national guard.
    The blarghaug!?! Jeez. Apparently my cousin went to an easy marine boot camp.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

4. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

My best friend just got out of boot camp, too (Marines, incidentally). Same story, but because we're all weird and it's his thing, it was fun for him, apparently. Eyes on the prize, I guess. And I mean it, same deal, got a similar-ish story from him on the weekend. Though it wasn't happening to him, directly. He actually seemed pretty good at things.

Showers feel very... Good, for the body and soul. Something I enjoy.
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2011-08-30 at 07:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

The blarghaug!?! Jeez. Apparently my cousin went to an easy marine boot camp.
    He could've been lying to you so you wouldn't worry about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    My best friend just got out of boot camp, too (Marines, incidentally). Same story, but because we're all weird and it's his thing, it was fun for him, apparently. Eyes on the prize, I guess. And I mean it, same deal, got a similar story from him on the weekend.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I prefer baths.

6. - Top - End - #696

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I prefer baths.
    I have to assume you are exclusively referring to the shower comment with both lines here, and therefore must challenge you to a bathe-off. The challenge; to clean oneself more thoroughly than the next man. The stakes; our very lives. Do you accept? You're on your honor.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm pretty sure being scrubbed with lye and bleeding doesn't feel good, even in a shower.

Granted, most of what I know about lye is that drinking it can lead to blindness and death and that it's involved somewhere in the production of soap and is so basic it causes damage to flesh just by being exposed to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

8. - Top - End - #698
    Barbarian in the Playground

"We were cursed, beaten, kicked, and compelled to go through exercises to the extent that a few were unconscious for some minutes. They kept it up for the greater part of the afternoon, and then those who could possibly stand on their feet were compelled to take cold shower baths. One of the boys was scrubbed with a scrubbing brush using lye on him. They drew blood in several places.” —Mennonite from Camp Lee, Virginia, United States, 16 July 1918.
    When I was at MEPS I saw a poster on the Marines' service counselor's office that went "We'd promise you sleep deprivation, mental torment, and muscles so sore you'll puke...but we don't like to sugarcoat things."

I've had some guys tell me they personally had fun at boot camp. But to be fair, these were sailors.

Sooo I mentioned last thread about I had reserved the Watership Down film in my local library system. A few days after I'd done that, I reserved Toy Story 3. It had multiple holds ahead of mine and I estimated I was in for a wait of several weeks. That was fine, I wasn't in a hurry. Later that week I got the call indicating one of my reserves had come in (for some reason these take the form of hang-up calls from the county government). So I go to the library and pick up...Toy Story 3.

Okay. I pick it up, plop down a reserve for another popular recent movie available in the system, and go home to watch what I've got. Yesterday I took it back and while I was there inquired into Watership Down. Usually it only takes a few days for holds to come in, and this one had no holds on it besides mine. The librarian checked into it for me and determined, through her secret library sciences, that the movie was tagged as unavailable. Most likely damaged, and given their budget situation, not going to be replaced for the foreseeable future.

Anyways. Today, I got more of those hang-up calls not-telling me my reserve was in. I managed to make it into the library shortly before closing, so now I have this to watch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah. I don't know what happened either, but I'm not complaining.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Things...and stuff...
    Anyways. Today, I got more of those hang-up calls not-telling me my reserve was in. I managed to make it into the library shortly before closing, so now I have this to watch:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah. I don't know what happened either, but I'm not complaining.
    Yay Watership down readitdreaditreaditnow!
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

10. - Top - End - #700

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm pretty sure being scrubbed with lye and bleeding doesn't feel good, even in a shower.

Granted, most of what I know about lye is that drinking it can lead to blindness and death and that it's involved somewhere in the production of soap and is so basic it causes damage to flesh just by being exposed to it.
    I was hoping the multiple blank lines between that and the paragraph on-topic would indicate that it was unrelated, but whatever. You're right. That sounds rather unpleasant.

That was a brief discussion. I'm hungry.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Troll in the Playground

I was hoping the multiple blank lines between that and the paragraph on-topic would indicate that it was unrelated, but whatever. You're right. That sounds rather unpleasant.

That was a brief discussion. I'm hungry.
    Have a pizza. *hands over a slice of pizza*

*you drop it*

Aw man, you have to get your own now! Blargh cafeteria foodz.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to assume you are exclusively referring to the shower comment with both lines here, and therefore must challenge you to a bathe-off. The challenge; to clean oneself more thoroughly than the next man. The stakes; our very lives. Do you accept? You're on your honor.
    Well, I generally bathe for the purpose of relaxation, not cleansing. I shower before or after a nice long hot soak.
    Last edited by Tragic_Comedian; 2011-08-30 at 07:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #703

Yay Watership down readitdreaditreaditnow!
    I've, uh, already read it. This is the movie.

Of course, it's on VHS so I have to use one of those VHS players. That's what they were called way back in the day, right? VHS players? I can hardly remember.

There might be one in my basement or something. I'll have to shake the dust out of it. I hope it still works.

I mean, like, my parent's basement. I don't have a VHS player, of course. Heh heh...heh.

<<
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #704

Have a pizza.
    I've had pizza for three days *crazy rabid face* so many pizzaaaaa.

15. - Top - End - #705

Have a pizza. *hands over a slice of pizza*

*you drop it*

Aw man, you have to get your own now! Blargh cafeteria foodz.
    Now I'm itching for pizza, but it's unlikely that I'll get it tonight. Note to self; make tomorrow a pizza day.

Well, I generally bathe for the purpose of relaxation, not cleansing. I shower before or after a nice long hot soak.
    I find certain ways of showering can be relaxing.

None of them involve lye, coincidentally.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Some people still make lye soap here, but just for academic purposes, really.

Wash your face with lye soap and you could end up with St. Anthony's Fire. Not joking.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    I agree with your logic there.

I know how old you are! You're--
    *Pinkie Pie shows up on my computer screen* FOREVER!

... It will be a riddle for the ages.
    Yes. Unless someone comes and visits me. or if I'm in a particularly good mood and feel like telling someone who asks.

Oh, by the way Blue, this'll amuse you. Two nights ago I was trying to sleep by naming one friend from the forum for every letter of the alphabet. I was stuck on B for an hour and a half before I thought of you.

ION: Guys, what the **** is up with Psychonauts and dowsing rods? Do they WANT you to break your keyboard while digging up deep arrowheads? ****!
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2011-08-30 at 07:46 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #708

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    ION: Guys, what the **** is up with Psychonauts and dowsing rods? Do they WANT you to break your keyboard while digging up deep arrowheads? ****!
    Yes. Pray you don't get the glitch that makes you lose your Cobweb Duster like I did. Since I was playing the PC version, they deleted the cheats. So I had to manually find arrow heads. Was not pleasent

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Think, man. Are you going to get a straight answer to that question?
    Most of her answers to that question have been quite straight. Taken alone, at least.

Ah, but I wasn't paying attention, so I'm more original than you! (Insane troll logic wins if you don't care about others!)

Tsk tsk V

Indeed. Even if I say I skipped grades you'd still all have a vague idea of where I am in time, seeing as I let slip I'm in high school a long time ago.
    Seems like a straight enough answer to me.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. Unless someone comes and visits me. or if I'm in a particularly good mood and feel like telling someone who asks.

Oh, by the way Blue, this'll amuse you. Two nights ago I was trying to sleep by naming one friend from the forum for every letter of the alphabet. I was stuck on B for an hour and a half before I thought of you.
    What was the list?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

21. - Top - End - #711

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    What was the list?
    I too am intrigued by this list. A window into the mind of Mooncat, as it were.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

22. - Top - End - #712

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yes. Pray you don't get the glitch that makes you lose your Cobweb Duster like I did. Since I was playing the PC version, they deleted the cheats. So I had to manually find arrow heads. Was not pleasent
    Oof. all 800? Ouch and ouch again my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    Most of her answers to that question have been quite straight. Taken alone, at least.

Seems like a straight enough answer to me.
    Of course! What is straighter than "I am a time goddess?"

I love it that I still have people on my side when I am purposely being as wrong as possible.

What was the list?
    I don't know, I got stuck on C and got distracted and started singing Sweeney Todd under my breath. Then I started looking for mathematical sequences in my alarm clock, and then I came up with a really good one I didn't want to forget, so I got up and wrote it on both knees, both hands, one foot, and a bookmark by the light of my music player.

ION: Heliomance, are you changing the titles on us? That's twice I'[ve noticed at least.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 2011-08-30 at 09:42 PM.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

ION: Heliomance, are you changing the titles on us? That's twice I'[ve noticed at least.
    Huh? What are you talking about?
    Last edited by Heliomance; 2011-08-30 at 10:22 PM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

24. - Top - End - #714
    Troll in the Playground

Thread title.

IT IS DIFFERENT NOW! I DON'T LIKE IT.
    ION:Dangit I forgot to make a pizza tonight and its a bit late to make one now. Stupid games and their time-stealing ways.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Thread title.

How can you be sure it was ever different?

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Heliomance's Bemusing, Confusingly Inconsistent Random Banter #167

Don't open this spoiler if you don't already know the rules of Mornington Crescent!

Spoiler
    Show
    Y'know, it would probably be entirely possible to actually have competitive Mornington Crescent games. As declaring Mornington Crescent too early is considered bad form, the best time to announce it is the turn right before your opponent was planning to. This makes it an exercise in psychology, in trying to read your opponent and guess when they're going to go for the win, in order to get there first. And that means it's not luck based, so an actual championship would work.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #717

Take a look at post titles in earlier pages. They default to "Re: [thread title]," and remain unchanged if the thread title changes.
    Last edited by Pheehelm; 2011-08-30 at 10:23 PM.
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #718

Your activities in thread naming.

Thread title.

ION:Dangit I forgot to make a pizza tonight and its a bit late to make one now. Stupid games and their time-stealing ways.
    It was changed before too.

By looking at earlier posts.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #719
    Troll in the Playground

V What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Take a look at post titles in earlier pages. They default to "Re: [thread title]," and remain unchanged if the thread title changes.
    Also, the Confusingly Inconsistent gives it away.

Oh yeah. Guys guys! Guess what?!? *HUGS!*
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

30. - Top - End - #720

V What he said.

Also, the Confusingly Inconsistent gives it away.

Oh yeah. Guys guys! Guess what?!? *HUGS!*
    Yay for hugs! Is your special power hugs?

I ask because I just saw Mystery Men, and it was a great movie.