New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

confused Should eating dragon meat be good or bad?: And other puzzling questions

This thread is for tips or ideas on how to handle the odder things that the rules may not elaborate on. Mainly for me is this question; what are the effects of eating dragon meat? My players recently slew their first red dragon, and now the wild card of the party wants to make a dragon steak. Any interesting ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Should eating dragon meat be good or bad?: And other puzzling questions

I would simply rule that it's hard to cook (on account of a red dragon's immunity to fire) and very tough to chew, but filling. One Medium-sized dragon should give enough food for about a week of feeding 5 people. I wouldn't put any adverse effects on the party for eating it.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Should eating dragon meat be good or bad?: And other puzzling questions

They're sentient beings!

Tasty, tasty sentient beings.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    They're sentient beings!

Tasty, tasty sentient beings.
    Dragons eat humans.

Eating sapient beings isnt the part that has to do with morals, it's how you obtain the meat that does.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #5

Zombie

I don't see why not. Paladins are allowed to wear dragonhide armor without anyone making Silence of the Lambs references.
    Last edited by stainboy; 2011-10-24 at 10:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

You could go with 'it just tastes like chicken.'

Or have dragon meat be poisonous, or maybe give some type a magical side effect.

But i kinda like the 'being haunted by the dragon spirit or such.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

The main effect is that it keeps you from starving to death.
    Other than that I don't know if there's any effect for eating beings of magic. What happens if you eat an angel? Or a basilisk? Or a nymph? Or a pixie? Or a tarrasque?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dragon Steaks are nearly as iconic as dragonscale armor. Okay maybe not, but it's a dragon slaying tradition with my group that we each have at least some.

Though honestly if you butchered it, and preserved the meat, you'd probably have enough food to feed a village for months, depending on how big the dragon was. This doesn't really affect much except to realize if your players stick their dragon steaks in a bag of holding, they basically never have to worry about rations again. And given by the level you're slaying dragons, you can break economies anyway, that's really okay.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

In my games, dragon's blood carries the power of their element - so coating a weapon with it gives the weapon an appropriate enchantment for a few turns (1 turn per dose, can apply multiple doses simultaneously). Note, it must be properly distilled so you only get a limited amount.

Dragon hide/scales protect from the elements (giving resistances if worn). So it makes perfect sense that the meat do something else.... Perhaps, in addition to being food, it could give you immunity to an appropriate environmental hardship: Red Dragons prevent heatstroke and other heat-associated troubles, White Dragons prevent frostbite, etc...

10. - Top - End - #10

You could have it being very tasty and give a slight stat bonus to say con or something, but make it addictive like a crack.

Next thing you know your low wis pc's are hunting dragons all over the place to get their next fix.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

Almost all of a dragon can be used for something in my campaign world. The bones for commune spells and special weapons. The brain for dragon control potions the scales for element resistant potions and armor. The blood has a burning effect on skin and can be distilled and combined with treant sap to make a potion of longevity. You get the idea, I figured the meat should either be poisonous be really spicy or mms the consumer fire resistant for a bit.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Depends on what you pair it with. A nice red wine is preferable though dwarven ale will do in a pinch. Anything else is criminal.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the 3.0 Book from AEG titled 'Dragons' has rules on how to use about every part from the Dragon, and most of it still works fine in 3.5/PF, but with an old enough dragon you can have like a permanent +11 (I think IIRC) to Intelligence which is nice, and I think it wasn't an enhancement bonus, but not sure.

Sorry for going off topic there folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mad_Linguist View Post
    If you PaO it into something else, you couldn't really expect it to still work (after all, a +1 flaming sword PaOed into a horse doesn't get you a +1 Flaming horse).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunhaven
    I'm bringing this up and hoping that the DM lets me get away with a +1 Flaming Horse. Just putting that out there.

14. - Top - End - #14

Could always treat it like the Heroes' Feast spell *shrug*
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

15. - Top - End - #15

If you like practical jokes, when the players eat it roll a few d20s and ask them what their Fortitude save bonuses are.

After they tell you, say, "it tastes like chicken" and never mention it again.
    Last edited by ORione; 2011-10-25 at 12:26 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

3% chance of having your race changed to kobold (or better yet, a were-kobold template)? I once had the distinct pleasure of traveling with an afflicted were-chicken, there IS a precedent...
    Last edited by Medic!; 2011-10-25 at 12:27 AM.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    The main effect is that it keeps you from starving to death.
    And energy resistance.

Other than that I don't know if there's any effect for eating beings of magic. What happens if you eat an angel?
    Doesn't leave a corpse

Or a basilisk?
    Turns you stone

Or a nymph?
    Gives you teleportitis

Or a pixie?
    Nothing, but too little meat to be filling.

Or a tarrasque?
    No clue.

But seriously though, if you are really intreested in the subject, check out Nethack.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfRogueGirl

Well I suppose if a Good aligned cleric or paladin ends up munching on a good dragon their deities might get a little bit annoyed.

But you kill a red dragon that's been turning the local village into a snack-bar? I think they call that karma really. But I'd watch out for green or black dragon meat, it might be poisonous if you cut into the wrong parts (like that fish that can supposedly kill you if not prepared right.) and it might take quite some time to cook if it's an adult or older dragon, and be a bit chewy.

But really I'd say that's it. As for magical side effects for eating a magical creature... Do dragons get bonuses for eating wizards, druids and sorcerers? And other magical critters? No? Then players don't get magical bonuses from eating dragons. Except possibly a pretty decent morale bonus for a day or two.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Seriously though, if you are really intreested in the subject, check out Nethack.
    Yes, Nethack should give you some good ideas. Eating a red dragon in that, though, gave you permanent fire immunity, so you'll probably want to tone it down a bit.

Of course, you could go in the opposite direction and make it poisonous, or burning hot no matter what you do to it. A lump of searing hot dragon meat i your stomach would never, ever be a good thing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stainboy View Post
    I don't see why not. Paladins are allowed to wear dragonhide armor without anyone making Silence of the Lambs references.
    I just had this vision of a baby dragon looking in a pit looking up at a paladin with tear filled eyes....

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the Smite again..."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus:Ranger View Post
    what are the effects of eating dragon meat?
    The main effect is that you get marked for death by any other dragon you encounter.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

Just make sure you don't eat the reproductive organs of a female black dragon. It's a little known fact that some black dragon eggs are fertilized by parthenogenesis. These eggs can attach themselves onto the lining of your stomach, since it's acidic, and hatch there.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Just make sure you don't eat the reproductive organs of a female black dragon. It's a little known fact that some black dragon eggs are fertilized by parthenogenesis. These eggs can attach themselves onto the lining of your stomach, since it's acidic, and hatch there.
    So Black Dragons starred in Alien?
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    The next time I'm running a campaign, my BBEG is going to invite all the players around for dinner!

25. - Top - End - #25

Those were actually Half-Black Dragon humans, yes.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    I would simply rule that it's hard to cook (on account of a red dragon's immunity to fire) and very tough to chew, but filling. One Medium-sized dragon should give enough food for about a week of feeding 5 people. I wouldn't put any adverse effects on the party for eating it.
    I like the idea of making it uncookable. Do you want to eat it raw? It's not every day you get a chance to eat dragon...
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Meat is meat. Everything is edible as long as you cook it right. Except for good aligned outsiders who for some reason never seem to leave bodies when they die.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

In my last campaign the players killed a dragon (by accidental luck), stripped it of its meat and preserved it (and animated its skeleton) and later cooked it. It granted DR 1/magic to anyone who ate of it for about 8 hours. They sure needed that meat since it was a 3-week trip through the desert to the next city.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Death View Post
    In the 3.0 Book from AEG titled 'Dragons' has rules on how to use about every part from the Dragon, and most of it still works fine in 3.5/PF, but with an old enough dragon you can have like a permanent +11 (I think IIRC) to Intelligence which is nice, and I think it wasn't an enhancement bonus, but not sure.

Sorry for going off topic there folks.
    What does AEG stand for? Not Arms and Equipment Guide, right? o.O
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Meat is meat. Everything is edible as long as you cook it right. Except for good aligned outsiders who for some reason never seem to leave bodies when they die.
    The answer to that one's easy - eat it while it's still alive.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

30. - Top - End - #30

Sometimes they do:

pic from Spell Compendium- Revive Outsider.

BoVD has a pic showing a sacrificed angel's body.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele