New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
    Default Favorite underrated monster

Hi! I'm new here and was curious about something. Whats your favorite monster that you would consider underrated? For me it would be the chain devil.

Theres just something about a human like devil wearing plate mail or studd leather as chains travel around his body that seems so classy. I still need to send a chain devil assasin after my players someday, or maby someday play one myself if I ever can.

I also someday want to have my players fight a boss who was the original chain devil. A very powerful version of the normal kind who can control a unlimited amount of chains and lives in a hallway covered in them. So anyways let us forget mind flayers, drow, beholders and dragons and think about the krytons, delvers, girallon and locathah!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite underrated monster

howlers, i think, are just awesome.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM...MM35_PG155.jpg

thats a picture of them. So not enough love for these lil critters. They're cute in a horrifying kind of way.
    Sugar, salt, bacon and elf. All the components of a healthy gnolls diet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I've always had something of a soft spot for gricks.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that the locathah dosnt get enough love.

How can you not love a mutant fishman (That isnt a skum)?
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not sure how often they're encountered by anyone else but I love the gray render. Particularly their maternal nature. Combine them with a tribe of halfling, orphans, or rabbits and they're adorable. I especially like when it comes to protecting the charges against low level PCs. ;D
    Check out Avatar

Some of my creations Forgotten Golem, Lady of the Fallen

Great avatar done by Thecrimsonmage

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mohrgs.

A campaign plothook in and of themselves.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobolds...

CR: 1/6... You cannot get much more under-rated without going into swarms or NPCs.

A kobold is not scary. Even 10 kobolds are not very scary (especially if you haver colour-spray) but they don't fight fair. You could wade into a gang of kobolds and walk right back out again unscathed but with a nice new hat.

Of course, that isn't how it goes...

The fighter charges, the cleric follows and then the earth opens up to swallow them both because they didn't spot the pit-trap. Spikes, poison, scorpions or snakes can make the pit even more fun. Suddenly, you have a rogue and a mage under attack from spear-throwing dog-dragon-things and the DM is wishing he had put some oil into the pit so the kobold could just throw a torch in...

Once they survive, they realise that the whole encounter was worth about 5xp each.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Personally, I like Hobgoblins and Gnolls...

DM: You wake up in a room somewhat similar to the one you passed out in, except brighter, and cleaner.
    Me: I check for my kidneys.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think kobolds, hobgoblins or gnolls are especially underrated...
    I'm going to put in a vote for gibbering mouthers. Those things are just freaky.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

The PC races make the best monsters.

My players are more scared of the NPCs than they are of any of the dragons and beholders and whatnot.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Necomancer
    Hi! I'm new here and was curious about something. Whats your favorite monster that you would consider underrated? For me it would be the chain devil.
    Hear hear! I love the kyton and pitting the PCs against one in a room festooned with chains has long been a dream of mine, no matter how much like a video game boss it would seem.

I've always liked rust monsters (insofar as it's possible to like anything that snacks on your equipment) and loved the idea of having a sect of metal-loathing druids use oversized ones as mounts. I thought I was incredibly clever coming up with that idea, but within the next week I heard three other people suggest it, so I guess I'm not that original after all.

What else? I really like the thoqqua, in no small part because the MM describes it as having "a choleric mood and a foul temper". A tiny, angry worm just tickles me for some reason, especially when its primary form of attack is to fling itself at an enemy's face.

Oh, I've just recently gotten the XPH, and I really like half-giants (they're in the monsters section too!). A big, brawny race that isn't as thick as two short planks? Fantastic.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I was once in a game where the GM made darkmantles into a horror to be feared.

Personally, I favour gnomes as underrated antagonists - for some reason, if you show players a kobold they go 'Aiee! It must be a kobold with a cunning plan!' but if you show them a gnome they just fall about laughing. That's just asking to be taught a lesson, really. ;)

In terms of more monstery monsters, I like using normal animals, often in combination with awaken, advancement, templates and/or class levels. Way back in the early days of 3.0, I had great fun with a stalking tiger with ranger levels. He tended to pop up whenever the party where in the middle of fighting something else and try to maul whoever was standing at the back. ;D
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmmm...

Bulette. ;D
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Goblins. The Kobolds have been getting too much love from WotC. ;)
    "You can never have enough dakka."

15. - Top - End - #15

Zombie

Thouls.

Anybody else remember those? I believe the last time they appeared was the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia. Part hobgoblin, part ghoul, part troll, all cheese.

I used em in a campaign a couple years back. I had a hobgoblin lord who kept them around as his elite alchemically-treated brainwashed myrmidons.

16. - Top - End - #16

Barghests. They can scare the bejeezus out of PCs if they're just told that they're 'huge demonic dog like creature' rather than a Barghest..
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Barghests always confused me. It was like the non-corporeal undead thing. Why didn't they just go around killing and eating commoners to gain HD? Why isn't every barghest in the world epic?

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gelatinous Cube
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Always had a soft spot for Blink Dogs, m'self.

Because they drive PCs insane. especially with readied actions... Heh heh heh.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don\'t get sucked into jet engines.&&&&I balance D20 for fun. Now hand me the monkey-wrench.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer
    Barghests always confused me. It was like the non-corporeal undead thing. Why didn't they just go around killing and eating commoners to gain HD? Why isn't every barghest in the world epic?
    Because a barghest needs to eat three corpses with an equal or greater number of levels / hit dice than itself to advance. Eating commoners wouldn't do a great deal, no matter how tasty they are.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

a bunch of mundane creatures is always cool. applying swarm traits to small or larger things is awesome. think a school of baracudas or sharks. or a mob of people rioting from some a couple of bards' mass suggestion. this isn't seen enough

22. - Top - End - #22

I don't recall if they were updated into 3rd edition, but rot grubs still freak me out... and I'm not too fond of stirges either (who I know were updated).

My brother introduced me to the idea that rot grubs were really just the larva form of stirges. Hence, the party could be walking along one moment in an old, abandoned tower with wood flooring and they hear the sound like a swarm of giant mosquitoes comes their way... they look up and see a LOT of stirges making a dive run for them... they turn and flees... the wooden floor gives way under them... they fall and there is the clatter of wood and dust and mildew hang in the air, obscuring sight... and then one of the PCs gives a shriek as he sees they've landed in the stirges' nest, full of rot grubs... and one of the has just burrowed into his skin... *shudder*
    1. Have fun. It's only a game.
    2. The GM has the final say. Everyone else is just a guest.
    3. The game is for the players. A proper host entertains one's guests.
    4. Everyone is allowed an opinion. Some games are not as cool as they seem.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Ankhegs, gotta love those chitinous baby-eating beetle things when they erupt from the ground and drag the softest, least-armoured party member into a tunnel. 'hegs are especially funny if you use them as the vanguard of a humanoid attack force. ;D

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love gnolls and wights, but they aren't all that underrated.

Salamanders, they're awesome. I'll say Salamanders. Or Urskans.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer
    Well, when I'm DMing Barghests tend to be found around loney moores and the like - not really that many people, commoners or otherwise, around to eat - and most humanoids (the only creatures it can use it's feed ability on) hang around in civilized groups with at least a few high level types around to see a barghest off...
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Bah, gimmie a choker anyday. Besides the coolness of snatching party members into the air with bungie-cord arms and then running down the tunnel with them in tow, they come free with a constant, unmodified from 3.0 (mostly), haste effect.
    "I'll give you a 10 second head start; if I catch you, I eat you."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

gotta say goblins, my players used to think they were week but i learned them eh eh eh
    The 2nd Incarnation&&The Trog\'s Tavern Menu&&27/7/06 - I looted the old town and all I got was this dumb sig&&Alpha Beta Omega

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Protean Scourges are the best things in the MMIII. The combination of a shape-shifting creature that looks like some kind of demon is just PC paranoia city. Early in my latest game the PCs were meeting up to go on a mission, and another volunteer happens to show up, a simple farm boy who wants to beat on some bad guys with his farming tool. One of the PCs even tried to teach him how to use it better. XD And then, of course, just when everyone's starting to get to like the new NPC- bam, towering demonic creature taking a swing at 'em. The best part is that since he looks like a demon, everyone assumes he is one, and the first thing they do is hit it with a sword... and then they have two to deal with...
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Murlocs ;D

In all seriousness, though, Chaos Beasts have always creeped me out.

The MM pic did nothing to help, either...
    1337 Fire Mage of Pwnage
    Royal Evoker of Narf
    Obey the Call of the Narf!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Undead that is done well resident evil well. give me mutant undead that has been morthed give me ghosts that sail seven seas, the vampire generals of hong kong movies that feast on chi and the blood of women, give me those that has escaped the grey lands and seek revenge against the living out of jealosy, the ones that can not move on, the ones that can die again.
    MERGE, HESHIN, COMBINE, TRANSFORM, BIOBOOST, CHANGE... Words that mean so much.