New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Favorite/Worst Monsters

I recently found my DM looking at the Tarrasque in the Monster Manual (3.5e), and it got me to thinking about what would be the worst monsters for my party to encounter (that we actually had a chance to beat). This also made wonder what other people thought. Excluding the obvoius, high-level epic monsters, what would be the scariest monsters for a party to face?

I concluded that the rust monster might be really bad for my party, which includes a wizard, a druid, a rogue, and a paladin. Why? Because, while 3/4th of our party uses very little or no metal, our paladin (who is the tank and the one who is supposed to take all the damage) is a warforged, made mostly of metal.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite/Worst Monsters

I like monkey bees. A swarm of them is pretty damn scary. I changed them a bit so that the different classes of bees were different monkeys/apes. I think the Queen was an orangutang. He bodyguards were apes and the soldiers were just regular chimps. The PC's got Monkey Honey from them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Like you said, the rust monster is certainly the classic best & worst monster in core. For more exotic things, I like to turn to the Fiend Folio, where you find thins like:

Lesser Aoa: flying blobs of mercurial goop that feed on magical energy. They have reflective/absorptive spell resistance 20ish and DR10/+1, IIRC, and can also emit a magic-nullifying pulse that functions like a Dispel Magic. They're also horribly under-CRed (I think they're like CR3?), like a lot of Fiend Folio things. They're such a cool monster, but when I threw a couple at my party early in my DMing career, I very quickly had to throw them a bone in the form of the wizard happening to spot a wand of Magic Weapon nearby to avoid a really embarassing TPK.

Flail Snail: Okay, you can't hope to beat the flail snail in an awkward/adorable monster-off. It is simply the best there is.Not really, but come on.

It's a Large blind snail with four massive tentacles instead of a head, which it uses as maces to bludgeon its foes/prey to death. It has Light Blindness, which is nice, but it also has Blindsight, so... yeah. Oh, and also magic cast on it has a chance to instead produce some other random effects. Make sure your PCs encounter it in a dungeon with lots of twisty passages, and make sure the party bard/wizard makes the check to realize how insanely valuable the thing's shell apparently is. Watch with amusement as the party tries to get the shell out of the dungeon intact.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2012-03-23 at 12:51 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

shadows
    they go through walls, they have a touch attack, they deal ability damge and worst of all they make spawn. a couple of them could rush through a town killing commoners and increasing their numbers exponentially and there's not a lot low level pcs can do to stop them if their more interested in attacking commoners then the pcs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Disenchanters. Love 'em to death. (Same with Rust Monsters.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

The Clockwork Horrors are well known game breakers, with the Adamantine Horror possessing Implosion and Disjunction. At will. At CR 9.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

In Pathfinder, definitely the Pugwampi Gremlins. My players rolled so many natural 20s that were just brushed aside.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Kobalds/Kobalds depending upon how they are run.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The worst monsters are the ones with class levels, of course. Take anything nasty, add healing and/or buffs and/or feat-based shenanigans, and boom, it becomes EVEN NASTIER.

I recently gave my D&D 3.5 group a hell of a time with a fer-gawd's-sake moose, because it got enough buffs from items and its druid to do about 40 damage to three people every turn, with a Reflex save too high to succeed. The greater air elemental, the treant and the druid weren't especially effective. The moose drove the party right to the brink. It did better than a recent encounter with a dragon and a couple beholders.

More completely on-topic: watch out for anything with Rend.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

A group of shocker lizards can be great fun, especially if your party thinks they are weak and relatively harmless.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

A Destrachion (sic?) is horrible if nobody has a silence spell. If you do then it's free xp.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

When I was a child, I was watching a bad science fiction about giant insects. Dad suggested that twenty-foot tall insects weren't all that scary - the scary ones would be a nest of a hundred six-inch-long wasps. Fast and hard to hit, but with much more poison than a normal one.

Ten years later, after D&D came out, I invented 6-inch yellowjackets. But I've never run a party of high enough level to use them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

In terms of actual fears brought to life? Giant insects, hands down, especially giant spiders. In terms of game mechanics bringing the party to its knees? Anything with a special ability they can't counter or reverse (Gorgons and Medusae before they have Break Enchantment or Stone to Flesh come to mind).

I once ran a session where they had to defend a town constructed entirely of discarded beehives from the giant bees that discarded them. Things were going well until the wizard lit them all on fire. That made things worse.
    "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"
    --Popcorn
    Quoteses, preciousssss...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    Player: Heh, that was easy.
    DM: You take 12 lethal damage.
    Player: Huh? From what?
    DM: Raw spite.
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroPaladin View Post
    'FEAR MY CUBESHOES! RAAAAAR!'

Proud owner of one Gold Star, as awarded by Count Chumleigh.
    Member of the Metric System Fan Club.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I love me some Shadows and the whole Nightwalker family (Walkers, Wings, Crawlers and Waves). Fluffed right in the proper setting can be more terrifying than any dragon or demon. One of my goals is to run a campaign/adventure path with JUST those monsters and make it utterly terrifying.

Maybe some refluffed oozes as well...
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Stirges. They terrify me after the WLD.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was the bandaid, but not high enough level to have lesser restoration yet when a swarm of these things hit us. I'd managed to keep the darn things away from the pack mule and our second beat stick for a while but before the fight was over their wasn't a single person with enough Con left to go on. we ended up holed up in a side room watching the DM roll the random encounters in the open (to make us sweat). Ended up going through about 60 gold worth of rations before everyone got their full con back
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

My Players Worst fear at low levels.

Sand Runners
    I use Kobolds and Silt Runners(Dark Sun) for the basic abilities available to these guys. Give them +25%damage. +1to all defenses and attack rolls. Boom Silt Runner
    A group of these just nearby sends my players into high alert
    At lower levels these things are terrifying.

Currently the worst thing for them to fight would be.
    Any major official from Ivory. As that will lead to them having Ivory wanting to execute them again
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The monster I'm most proud of is the "Troll-Eater". The PCs sought to bring peace between a small wilderness town and the local tribe of trolls. The trolls agreen to the peace, but only if the PCs could defeat their old enemy. The Troll-Eater was a huge hairy beast with massive jaws, an acidic bite attack, improved grab, swallow whole, scent to 180ft, and a 60ft land speed. I made it by applying the Horrid template (Eberron) to a dire shark, and then converting all of it's stuff to function on land without changing anything.

As far as published monsters, I have to go with Harpoon Spiders (MM3 pg.80). they get especially mean when pit traps are involved.

Vizz, you think regular stirges are bad.... My brother once played an artificer who specialized in constructs, taking the craft effigy feat. He made about a dozen or so loyal stirge effigies because they keep their blood drain. Since they were mechanical, we ruled that the blood they drained could be extracted later, which came in handy since we had a vampire in the party at the time. The hideous con damage helped too
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Phase wasps. foot long wasps that cast MM at you, travel in swarms of 20, and eat spellbooks and scrolls.

I also like illithids and aboleths. They always seemed related to me.

And Gelatinous Cubes...Cuz Jell-O

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Arcanaloths. Also, Rakshasa, Succubi, Leanansidhe, Doppelgangers, Hengeyokai, Lycanthropes and mirror people.

What can I say, the best weapon in a DM's arsenal is the player's own paranoia.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The best weapon in a DM's arsenal are the PCs.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The best weapon in the Dm's arsenal is the sound we only roll dice for the sound they make
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

The scariest monster, that my players ALWAYS run from is the clay golem. How many monsters do you know that cause PERMANENT hp loss. A bad encounter with a clay golem can cripple your character for the rest of his life.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

clay golem damge its not permanent you just need a caster with a bare minimum caster level of 6.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by awa View Post
    clay golem damge its not permanent you just need a caster with a bare minimum caster level of 6.
    Okay I stand corrected. Then again the only healer in that campaign was the main villain.

(I'm not kidding the final boss was the DMPC Healer, Gates in a pit fiend and nearly killed them, they never saw it coming they thought she was just a cliche mary sue, turns out she was a villain with no sense of subtly)