New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default That Character you have always wanted to play...

We've all had a class that we've wanted to play but haven't been able to because either someone else in the group already was that class or the DM you were with said no, or even not wanting to play it because you knew it wouldn't be long term. Let's hear it, what would you play if you were gonna start a game tomorrow and could play whatever you want?

For a long term game I would really love to play a Wizard/Loremaster, preferably Dwarven or Gnomish.

For a short term game I would really like to play a halfling rogue, because I would like to mess around with a thrower character before I play it long term.
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: That Character you have always wanted to play.

I'd like to play a non-evil lich/demilich wizard+psion gestalt in a high level/epic campaign. Sweet immunities, awesome powers and a cool thing to roleplay. Very muchkin, but very cool IMHO. Unfortunately my DM doesn't like powergaming too much so it is out of the question for now...
    The Sistine Chappel, Michelangelo's David, Beethoven's Fifth, Pun-Pun - artistic wonders for the ages.

3. - Top - End - #3

I've always wanted to play a Mind Flayer.

I love Mind Flayers. I actually have to control myself not to put them in every single adventure I make, regardless of level. OK, it's not really that bad, but close ;)

Edit :
    I particularly love step 4 of their "example tactics when boss monster" : "Eat brains" :)

4. - Top - End - #4

I've always wanted to play elvish ranger/knight (not neccessarily a paladin) who applies his races finesse to using a large weapon, such as a bastard sword or even greatsword. I'd take feats such as Mobility and Improved Initiative. Unfortunately I've never really been able to transfer this idea into a satisfactory series of game mechanics. There is some light though, as I recently discovered the CG paladin PrC in Complete Divine so perhaps that'll be the next character I play. I almost wish my current character would die.
    "You would not want to be staring that way at me." -Al Swearengen

"Crush your enemy, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women." -Conan

Let's harvest some kidneys!!

I'm not a magic fan but...:

5. - Top - End - #5

Mind flayers are cool. I've considerd polymorphing into one and eating the brains out of an NPC (In combat) just to see how my party reacts... :D
    The Sistine Chappel, Michelangelo's David, Beethoven's Fifth, Pun-Pun - artistic wonders for the ages.

6. - Top - End - #6

Sadly, a non-classed Mind Flayer PC is the equivalent of a 15th level character :/ Oh, and it would take a very special party composition to allow a non-Drizzty Mind Flayer indeed.

7. - Top - End - #7

That certainly would be a fun party though...a mind flayer arcanist, a drider warrior, tiefling rogueish character, and a vampire cleric... just think of the fun at parties!
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I've always wanted to play a Chaos Knight. I even made up a whole class for it, totally balanced with and opposite the paladin, just like the Blackguard but with chaotic instead of evil alignment. In exchange for all the undead powers and remove disease/sneak attack, he gains the rage ability and some other cool features. Smite Law, other good stuff :)

But, I'm always the DM, because everybody else sucks at being DM, lol, so now I get to make the party encounter them! And if they decide to fight MY favorite new class, they are in for a beating :)

Time to smite the dirty lawdogs!! :D

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've always wanted to do a thieving rogue. Usually robbing people takes away from game time too much so I don't get to steal everything. I've been toying with the idea of a game where all players play the same class. The idea would be that they have to define their characters in ways other than by existing as a class. Rogue or wizard would probably be the class I use for something like that.

Other than that I've wanted to do a straight fighter type who is very live by the sword, die by the sword.

I also like the idea of a barbarian who had been a bastard son in some noble family, but was left for the wolves rather than embarass the family. The character would be kinda nuts and want to siege his parents' lands.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

10. - Top - End - #10

I've always wanted to play a Fighter/Rogue type who specialized in a fighting style ala the Prince of Persia... But have never been able to strike the right balance between skills, feats, and classes to pull it off successfully...
    Gallery 1Gallery 2Gallery 3Make Avatars With MS Paint
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by valadil
    I also like the idea of a barbarian who had been a bastard son in some noble family, but was left for the wolves rather than embarass the family. The character would be kinda nuts and want to siege his parents' lands.
    That would be an awesome campaign idea :D At least if the family made a habit of that kind of behavior. Imagine a party of "wild" classes with a vengeance to wreak upon said family (which would of course be too powerful to touch for quite a while).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

There's only a few characters that I've never been able to play. The problem is, those characters *are* unplayable. I realize that. Which is why I've never played them. But the ideas just... niggle at me.

A pacifist paladin. He was a LE warlord who had some kind of revelation, complete with alignment and religion changeover. Now, he completely rejects all lethal force as the easy way (He's still allowed subdual stuff). When 3.0 came out, I rethought him as a fighter/cleric, but the idea was the same. And just as unplayable. :)

Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've always wanted to be a Paladin of Kelemvor. In FR, he's the only death god of that setting that has Paladins...

Gritty undead hunters! Should be fun ;D
    Jeff

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Banjo
    I've always wanted to play elvish ranger/knight (not neccessarily a paladin) who applies his races finesse to using a large weapon, such as a bastard sword or even greatsword. I'd take feats such as Mobility and Improved Initiative. Unfortunately I've never really been able to transfer this idea into a satisfactory series of game mechanics. There is some light though, as I recently discovered the CG paladin PrC in Complete Divine so perhaps that'll be the next character I play. I almost wish my current character would die.
    Look in Races of the Wild. This is basically what Champion of Corellon Larethian is.
    +++Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot+++

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

artificer, too bad i'm the dm and have hard time npcing and playing.

If I could just find an eberron game I could join...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sciurusaurus

That would be an awesome campaign idea :D At least if the family made a habit of that kind of behavior. Imagine a party of "wild" classes with a vengeance to wreak upon said family (which would of course be too powerful to touch for quite a while).

The real reason I want to play the character is I love the image of a lone barbarian rolling a catapault up to a castle. Clearly that image comes from the fact that I've played too much Savage, and my explanation of the character come from the fact that I've read too much George R.R. Martin.

Another character I've always wanted to play is a dwarven pirate. I'd love to see him take out a pickaxe and mine the deck of a ship to get to the loot in the hull, while his crew looks on in disgust, complaining to the captives "he does this every high seas robbery, it's so embarassing."

If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

A halfing barbarian raised by orcs who's strong enough to pick up a human single-handedly. And his secret weapon; a gnomish artificial arm that could punch a hole through an ogre with a chaingun for emergencies (would have to be reloaded/repaired by professional mechanics to make it interesting and harder to abuse).

I love the idea of being the tiniest thing in a party while being the phsical strongest
    Not wanting to gaze upon the naked flesh of a beautiful woman would be an insult to them!-Eichiro Oda

He can’t regenerate a broken heart, Dave

When GM demands to know what my character is doing, it better not be "The Charleston"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Ditto on the Prince of Persia thing. There's a feat for wall-running but it's psionic and I've never liked diluting martial classes with nonmartial char. levels. And no sane dm would allow time manipulation to that degree. I suppose the dagger is a legacy weapon with charges of time stop.

Recently I got my dm to allow me a minotaur, since I nerfed the race so much. I have to gain 6 levels in minotaur before I get a real class. It's all good though, I got a spiked chain out of purest spite. Luckily he thinks this is funny.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Hmm. There's two things that come to mind when I think of this. A character I would love for the RP, and a character I would love for, well, the fun of it.

RP Character: A Half-Celestial Paladin. I understand why no DM in their right mind would allow that template, and I'm very rarely a player, at any rate (it's been about 7 months since I was a player. I miss it :'().

Fun Character: A vampire. I think the RPing could be fun with a character like this, but I also completely understand why it's not allowed. If a player is turned into a vampire, it becomes an NPC.

Also. A Minotaur with the Monster of Legend (is that it? It's from 2nd or 3rd MM...) Template. Fun.

Edit: Spelling... Gah.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Further considerations on a Paladin of Kelemvor...

After mentioning it, I went and looked up his Ethos. While it's extremely straight forward regarding undead, it's much less so regarding traditional LG Paladin duties. It'd be one heck of an interesting RP to consider when a creature is supposed to die, and who meets an "untimely" end.
    Jeff

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

The Reluctant Hero. I really, really want to play one of these guys, torn between his life and the world of heroism beyond it. But damn it, I play like all PbP and none of them are 1st level.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Bard.

High charisma.

Perform specialty: Oration.

Several ranks of Know:Religion.

Membership in the church.

Mass suggestion: "And now, as we pass the offerring plate around..."

.... it just wouldn't work well in an ADVENTURE game, though....

(And now I'm getting the image of bards as Salvation Army bellringers.... and now, as employees of the advertisement industry.)
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly, a very munchkin one. The Grafter(forget exact name) from Lords of Madness, with about 20 tentacles(some are Fiendish grafts, others from feats, like the one in LoM that grants you them), and some 20'+ of reach via Extended Reach(I think that's the name, also from LoM), Stretch Tentacle(Savage Species), and possibly one or two others. Coupled with Epic Combat Reflexes, maybe Large and In Charge, etc. The sort of fellow who can essentially keep you at bay all day(barring the cheesiness of Force-cage and its "You cannot break me, neener neener neener" nonsense.)
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

A wizard. I never get to play wizards. I love playing wizards, but I always has to be the Tank or the Healer for the rest of my party.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by luffy316
    A halfing barbarian raised by orcs who's strong enough to pick up a human single-handedly.
    Hey, I've done that ;D
    My halfling had a starting 16 Str, and with Rage he was up to 20, at level 1. Barbarian is really the perfect class for boosting a small character, giving Str boost and Fast movement. And it's fun to play the little strong guy 8)
    Why should I use a sig ?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

I usually play clerics or wizards because few of my party members want to deal with the spells system. I want to play something involving less standing at the back of the party casting. Maybe a paladin. Yes, I too have dreams of playing a minotaur. Though I don't think a minotaur paladin is what I'm looking for.
    I am also considering experimenting with a very neglected class: the bard. I want to try playing a bard in a race with charisma penalties. Naturally, this won't be a high level character. Maybe an orc, or a tiefling. Must find a party without elves...
    MrMark on wizards and party harmony:&&
    And if the party is giving you a hard time about not pulling your weight? Charm them! They will instantly see the value in what you are doing.
    &&

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Go Orc, alternate Bard/Barbarian.

Enjoy.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

As for the Prince of Persia/wall walking, check out The Book of Iron Might: http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_BOIM. There’s a feat tree in there for that thing, or in a later chapter there are alternate skill uses. So you can spend 3 feats, or 1 feat and make 2 checks (Balance and Climb), IIRC.

I’d like to play a Machine Mage from Chaositec. The problem is that my group kinda freaked out when I introduced chaositech in my game, so it’s off limits. A Machine Mage stores some of his spells into “spell circuits”, implants on his body that grant a 1/day use of various meta-magic feats. Couple that with some chaositech devices, which are Frankenstein style pseudo-science, and the fact chaositech and chaos magic make you insane, and there’s much fun I’m not having. But just the mention of it gives some of my players panic attacks. The funny thing is, they only saw a few chaositech devices and got in only one fight, but I guess the description was too much for them.
    Proud owner of evil dice.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pocketwatch
    I am also considering experimenting with a very neglected class: the bard. I want to try playing a bard in a race with charisma penalties. Naturally, this won't be a high level character. Maybe an orc, or a tiefling. Must find a party without elves...
    I DMed for a friend who almost begged to be a half-orc bard. He didn't really have to beg, since i was already laughing as soon as he mentioned it. Balthas Giggleberry wound up multi-classing as a warrior too, but he poured most of his stats into charisma.

Though he did wind up relying on direct combat most of the time, using his spells for his own amusement most of the time. Though he does find a good use for them sometimes, and he uses the class skills well enough too.
    Not wanting to gaze upon the naked flesh of a beautiful woman would be an insult to them!-Eichiro Oda

He can’t regenerate a broken heart, Dave

When GM demands to know what my character is doing, it better not be "The Charleston"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to play a fighter or barbarian STRAIGHT build. I DM (hence if I make one, I have to control too many factors for it to be fun.)

I used to multiclass or go spellcaster (party needed, and I needed to understand gaming better). Once I got a (near) solid grasp on the gaming system, my group broke up and I started DMing (first campaign was a crash-course for me).

So I just want to play a fighter. Or a barbarian. Under a good DM. not much...jus' once a week. For a race...nothing out of the core. Probably Human, Dwarf, Halfling or Gnome.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht