New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: She Blinded Me with Science! (Magitek That Doesn't Make Me Cry Myself To Sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    It can see everything that's happening in the biome (more specifically, it can see all of the information about the people in it). It can make logical decisions on behalf of the pole, but unless it's hooked up to a broader circuit it can't extend its control beyond that scope.
    Actually, I meant in the info on Geoccultism it doesn't say anything about it's mindsight range, just the extra feature added to it.(but that is interesting that it can be hooked up to circuits and control them[and also not there(sorry if I seem like I'm pestering you)])

No, they're not EI's, and they don't have Intelligence scores, all they can do is make Knowledge checks on your behalf.
    Ah, I was wondering since the info on them also said they were sentient trees.

Also, there isn't an iron Arcanodynamic input and output. Is there supposed to be, and if so what should it do, absorb or grant hardness/damage resistance, weight, or something else?
    Also, for orichalcum how come beads, which are considerably smaller than one 100th of one cubic foot(there are 1,728 cubic inches in a foot, and beads are usually smaller than a cubic inch), can store a full ebb? Is it that any amount under the amount necessary to store two ebbs can store one ebb and a bead is a good combination of affordability, keepability, and hideability?

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: She Blinded Me with Science! (Magitek That Doesn't Make Me Cry Myself To Sleep)

I like the platinum stuff, and have a few uses in my mind for it, especially for bizzarchitecture
    1.pipes+fountains-pipe in water from a healing spring, then charge minor fee for fountain use.
    2.bizzarchitecture:because hiding any kind of questionably moral affair is much easier when with the right word the entire building simply disappears
    3.bizzarchitecture:because things that normally take up space don't have to anymore
    4.bizzarchitecture:Because having having the ability to have your entire city dissappear and be replaced with a deadly swamp is just too nice at times

Although, I do have a question about bizzarcetecture, similar to the one i raised about whispereeds: Can you stack more than 1, so you can have, say a desert/ocean producing ebbs from the iceIns powering perpetual rain on a flashsand with some to spare, a city/forest (the normal town, forest is for trees to ease foot traffic), and a swamp/tundra, a hellish mix of terrain that nobody would want to go in [terrains are different because zone inside bizzarchitecture has own poles], all existing in parallel via bizzarchitecture? Can things "exit" one of the "sets" and "enter" another if it exits the area of the set at some point? Like say, (continuing using above example), we have a power ribbon extend from the city geopole, than connect to the other two and the iceIns so that the ebbs can be spent by all three, as long as it exits the zone than comes back into it (meaning it would probably have to be a fairly large ribbon). Sorry that I ask so many questions, its just in my nature t explore possibilities.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Bugbear in the Playground

Any comments on Ayuscientist? I'm also currently working on the Transcholar, which is a HEUR/IMCH hybrid.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

4. - Top - End - #844

Quote Originally Posted by Draconas1 View Post
    Actually, I meant in the info on Geoccultism it doesn't say anything about it's mindsight range, just the extra feature added to it.(but that is interesting that it can be hooked up to circuits and control them[and also not there(sorry if I seem like I'm pestering you)])
    EDIT: Whoops, missed this one; an EI by definition has Mindsight, and the geoccult description of a zeitgeist gives the extent of its sensing.

Ah, I was wondering since the info on them also said they were sentient trees.
    Well, the intent was that they would basically be sensory outposts and encyclopedias about the land they were built on. I believe I misconveyed it when I said they were sentient; they have no real will other than being a spirit of intellect related to their environment. I'll clarify the text about what they can and cannot do; they're certainly not EI's.

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, this should hopefully be clearer?

Quote Originally Posted by Me!
    Ancient Oaks: Ancient oaks are semi-intelligent trees which can read the memory of the ground beneath them. You can communicate with them through the pole telepathically, and they can answer any question about the land or the history of it back several hundred years (treat it as having a +20 modifier for all Knowledge checks related to its field of expertise). An ancient oak is also a sentinel (it has the same senses as a treant) and alerts the pole when anything unusual happens in the geoccult zone. Ancient oaks are otherwise not intelligent; they serve their puspose, but nothing more. They are merely spirits of history that have a mandate to protect their forest. An ancient oak costs 500 lb, and is otherwise the same as a massive tree. It needs to grow for a month before it can communicate with the pole.
    Also, there isn't an iron Arcanodynamic input and output. Is there supposed to be
    Nope!

Also, for orichalcum how come beads, which are considerably smaller than one 100th of one cubic foot(there are 1,728 cubic inches in a foot, and beads are usually smaller than a cubic inch), can store a full ebb? Is it that any amount under the amount necessary to store two ebbs can store one ebb and a bead is a good combination of affordability, keepability, and hideability?
    We had this discussion once before; what we decided was that a 'bead' of orichalcum is literally one cubic foot of it, divided into 100 pieces, and then shaped into spheres. Each bead has a radius of 4.07 cm, so they're about the size of baseballs.
    Last edited by Kellus; 2012-12-18 at 09:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #845

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    I like the platinum stuff, and have a few uses in my mind for it, especially for bizzarchitecture
    1.pipes+fountains-pipe in water from a healing spring, then charge minor fee for fountain use.
    2.bizzarchitecture:because hiding any kind of questionably moral affair is much easier when with the right word the entire building simply disappears
    3.bizzarchitecture:because things that normally take up space don't have to anymore
    4.bizzarchitecture:Because having having the ability to have your entire city dissappear and be replaced with a deadly swamp is just too nice at times

Although, I do have a question about bizzarcetecture, similar to the one i raised about whispereeds: Can you stack more than 1, so you can have, say a desert/ocean producing ebbs from the iceIns powering perpetual rain on a flashsand with some to spare, a city/forest (the normal town, forest is for trees to ease foot traffic), and a swamp/tundra, a hellish mix of terrain that nobody would want to go in [terrains are different because zone inside bizzarchitecture has own poles], all existing in parallel via bizzarchitecture? Can things "exit" one of the "sets" and "enter" another if it exits the area of the set at some point? Like say, (continuing using above example), we have a power ribbon extend from the city geopole, than connect to the other two and the iceIns so that the ebbs can be spent by all three, as long as it exits the zone than comes back into it (meaning it would probably have to be a fairly large ribbon). Sorry that I ask so many questions, its just in my nature t explore possibilities.
    Very very cool ideas. You can only have two sets of bizarchitecure on the same area, but you could have another totally different one right beside it. That's a very cool idea about different poles inside of the bizarchitectural zone, but one caveat: recall that bizarchitecure itself is a platinum feature, so if you want it to still be there in a different terrain, you would need to place it using the rules for mixing features into different biomes.

So you can only have two potential terrain sets on a single location, but stuff that extends out of one of them is indeed allowed to enter into another set of bizarchitecture beside it!

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a request...For Peoples..
    Make a PrC combining Biollurgy and Arcanodynamics.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #847
    Pixie in the Playground

EDIT: Whoops, missed this one; an EI by definition has Mindsight, and the geoccult description of a zeitgeist gives the extent of its sensing.
    The description only gives the range for it's telepathy, see.

Zeitgeists: A zeitgeist is a spirit that instinctively derives demographic information from a biome. More simply, a zeitgeist is an exotic intelligence whose heuristical bubble includes only the pole of the biome, but whose telepathy covers the entirety of the biome zone. In addition, its Mindsight allows it to automatically know the age, race, gender, and legal and marital status of every creature that it can sense. If a zeitgeist is present in the pole, a bizarchitectural set's condition in order to be accessed can make use any information which the zeitgeist is able to automatically derive. A zeitgeist cannot be fooled with conventional methods, but a misdirection effect causes the zeitgeist to read the demographic information of the misdirected proxy instead. A zeitgeist costs only 100 lb to create, but multiplies the rate at which the pole consumes itself every day by 10.

Well, the intent was that they would basically be sensory outposts and encyclopedias about the land they were built on. I believe I misconveyed it when I said they were sentient; they have no real will other than being a spirit of intellect related to their environment. I'll clarify the text about what they can and cannot do; they're certainly not EI's.

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, this should hopefully be clearer?
    Yes, thanks

Nope!
    Ah, was just wondering, since all the other planetary metals, as well as wood, ice, and crystal were represented

We had this discussion once before; what we decided was that a 'bead' of orichalcum is literally one cubic foot of it, divided into 100 pieces, and then shaped into spheres. Each bead has a radius of 4.07 cm, so they're about the size of baseballs.
    Oops, sorry.

Since you said you hadn't thought of the geoccult and biollurgy 400 principle, if you want, I have some ideas for others, and I don't mind if you don't use them.
    Arcanodynamics and Geoccultism allowing you to link inputs or outputs to a pole, letting their input sphere or output origination point come from anywhere in the biome(so gramarists can use scry-and-die too, as well as cause dramatic chills)
    Alchemetry and Arcanodynamics either letting the outputs ignore a specific quality that you can alter with Alchemetry, programmed in up to a specific amount instead of altering that quality in the input or output itself(basically, for instance you can make an output ignore a certain amount of hardness instead of adding that amount to it[although you could probably have added it earlier or add it afterward]), the other possibility would be letting the outputs or inputs assimilate the material they are made of and cannibalize themselves for ebbs, similar to a Geoccult pole.
    Biollurgy and Arcanodynamics letting a chassis that has been turned into an input convert the ebbs it creates into health.(since you can already make chassi into regular output and inputs)
    Heuristicism and Yggdratecture making it so that when you prepare a circuit, you prepare it up to a 10 feet radius instead of 5, possibly with similar doubling of net radius and output range for Arcanodynamics and Yggdratecture(not too sure about this one)
    Yggdratecture and Biollurgy allowing you to either raise some of the ability scores of your chassi or add more grafts due to the chassi the principle is prepared on becoming tesseracts and therefore having more space to fit muscles, organs, or brainmeats(it doen't in and of itself add more grafts, it just lets you, and it will take a bit of time for the new space to fill with flesh if you are raising it's stats[probably wouldn't work at all without fast healing]).
    Heuristicism and Arcanodynamics either making it so you can apply triggers to your inputs and outputs for logical decisions and aiming even while not in a circuit, or allowing you to keep an input and output linked despite the distance.
    Last edited by Draconas1; 2012-12-18 at 09:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

Question for the Dreammason prestige class.

It says that EI's can gain XP for draining creatures. I think that should be removed completely its far to easy to gain infinite xp with this item. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a.

Also what does it mean that the EI can gain XP? It doesn't have HD... can it gain HD by leveling? Can it take wizard levels? How would it cast spells if it can?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

9. - Top - End - #849

Mindsight by definition has a range equal to that of your telepathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Silva
    Question for the Dreammason prestige class.

It says that EI's can gain XP for draining creatures. I think that should be removed completely its far to easy to gain infinite xp with this item. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a.
    As usual, I can't possibly plan out every dumb thing that wizards comes out with. An item that transfers XP is possibly the dumbest thing I've heard of in a while– who possibly thought that would be a good idea? Ever?

Also what does it mean that the EI can gain XP? It doesn't have HD... can it gain HD by leveling? Can it take wizard levels? How would it cast spells if it can?
    Great question! An EI can take purely mental actions, since it doesn't have a body. It can still level up, it just doesn't get any benefit from a lot of the normal things you get from levels, like hit points, Fort and Ref saves, and a lot of class features. But if it were to take, for example, wizard levels and the Still Spell and Silent Spell feats, it could certainly cast spells as surely as a bound and gagged wizard. It would get effective Hit Dice, Hit Dice that don't actually give it hit points since it doesn't have a body, but which still determine its level of achievement in a class.

EDIT: Those are some pretty clever ideas for 400-level principles! I'm still in the conceptual phase for a lot of them, but you should see a few fairly soon. Thanks!
    Last edited by Kellus; 2012-12-18 at 10:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, quick question.

How does gramarie act if you try to feed it temporary materials? Such as feeding metals created with Major Creation to a geoccult pole?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

As usual, I can't possibly plan out every dumb thing that wizards comes out with. An item that transfers XP is possibly the dumbest thing I've heard of in a while– who possibly thought that would be a good idea? Ever?

Great question! An EI can take purely mental actions, since it doesn't have a body. It can still level up, it just doesn't get any benefit from a lot of the normal things you get from levels, like hit points, Fort and Ref saves, and a lot of class features. But if it were to take, for example, wizard levels and the Still Spell and Silent Spell feats, it could certainly cast spells as surely as a bound and gagged wizard. It would get effective Hit Dice, Hit Dice that don't actually give it hit points since it doesn't have a body, but which still determine its level of achievement in a class.
    Fair point on the stupidity of it. I agree on that aspect. And thanks for the clarification on the EI's gaining levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

12. - Top - End - #852

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Ok, quick question.

How does gramarie act if you try to feed it temporary materials? Such as feeding metals created with Major Creation to a geoccult pole?
    Everything has to go somewhere. In the case of major creation, that means that when the duration expires, the metal disappears. If it's been accumulated into a geoccult pole at this point, the metal would be extracted from the volume of the pole. It could be quite useful in buying you time to find more metal, or you could even set up a staggered payment system consisting of repeated castings before the expiry, since major creation has an awesome duration! But when the time limit expires, the appropriate amount of metal would disappear from the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Silva
    Fair point on the stupidity of it. I agree on that aspect. And thanks for the clarification on the EI's gaining levels.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though! I didn't even realize that was a thing– I'll put a note in the EI description about not being able to transfer the XP to anybody else, just in case!

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Everything has to go somewhere. In the case of major creation, that means that when the duration expires, the metal disappears. If it's been accumulated into a geoccult pole at this point, the metal would be extracted from the volume of the pole. It could be quite useful in buying you time to find more metal, or you could even set up a staggered payment system consisting of repeated castings before the expiry, since major creation has an awesome duration! But when the time limit expires, the appropriate amount of metal would disappear from the pole.
    Wait...

How does the efficiency compare for feeding the pole ebbs to fuel it daily or feeding it SilverOut Major Creations of the right metal?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wait...

How does the efficiency compare for feeding the pole ebbs to fuel it daily or feeding it SilverOut Major Creations of the right metal?
    It's a way better deal to use major creations, but you run into the problem that eventually you won't be able to sustain enough transient metal going in, since every day you have another day of metal payments stack up. You can keep it up for actually a really long time, since major creation is measured in volume and not weight, and metal is really dense. But eventually it'll be too much to keep up, and the pole will collapse when not enough metal is provided. But for short-term poles, if you're willing to go to the effort to set it up, it's an awesome way to get much cheaper terrain!

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

It's a way better deal to use major creations, but you run into the problem that eventually you won't be able to sustain enough transient metal going in, since every day you have another day of metal payments stack up. You can keep it up for actually a really long time, since major creation is measured in volume and not weight, and metal is really dense. But eventually it'll be too much to keep up, and the pole will collapse when not enough metal is provided. But for short-term poles, if you're willing to go to the effort to set it up, it's an awesome way to get much cheaper terrain!
    Wait, why would payments stack up? The metal from Major Creation isn't a feature, so it doesn't have an upkeep cost. Just make enough metal with Major Creation to exactly cover all metal costs until the time it would have disappeared anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, That helps...Well, I wonder...
    Their exsists a spell, In KoK, That is called "Major/Ultimate Creation"
    No EXP Cost, No nothing, 4th level spell.
    It allows you to use created objects As Spell copmentets, and has a permant Duration....Well, 21st level Grameirst, With a 20th level Wizard anyone?
    Oh yeah, Say I used the Major Creation, And then made it into a pile of Gold coins...Cheep money anyone?

A actual Question:
    is their a way for transformers to have multiple Outs linked by distant IN transformers ?
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #857

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Wait, why would payments stack up? The metal from Major Creation isn't a feature, so it doesn't have an upkeep cost. Just make enough metal with Major Creation to exactly cover all metal costs until the time it would have disappeared anyway.
    There's a minimum weight of metal the pole needs to sustain, known as the critical limit. Hypothetically, let's say this is 1,000 lb. If I major create an extra 3,000 lb into it, and use it to buy a lot of features, then when the duration of the major creation expires 3,000 lb of metal is subtracted from the pole's weight. If this would take it below the critical limit, the pole would collapse. The only way to sustain it would be to cast another major creation into it, renewing the duration. But a lot of features have upkeep, which would accrue additional costs, until the point where perhaps you need two major creationed metal masses in it at a time, and so on until it's simply unsunstainable.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a minimum weight of metal the pole needs to sustain, known as the critical limit. Hypothetically, let's say this is 1,000 lb. If I major create an extra 3,000 lb into it, and use it to buy a lot of features, then when the duration of the major creation expires 3,000 lb of metal is subtracted from the pole's weight. If this would take it below the critical limit, the pole would collapse. The only way to sustain it would be to cast another major creation into it, renewing the duration. But a lot of features have upkeep, which would accrue additional costs, until the point where perhaps you need two major creationed metal masses in it at a time, and so on until it's simply unsunstainable.
    Oh. This means that the "cost" to add features to the pole is added to its mass, I had the impression that this "cost" was eaten and vanished, much like the upkeep cost of the pole itself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #859

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Oh. This means that the "cost" to add features to the pole is added to its mass, I had the impression that this "cost" was eaten and vanished, much like the upkeep cost of the pole itself.
    No, that's entirely right; let's say again my critical mass is 1,000, my upkeep every day is 500 for my features, and major creation gives me 3,000 lb. I use major creation on my 1,500 lb pole, raising my mass to 4,500 lb. I buy 2,000 lb of features, putting me at 2,500 lb. My daily upkeep is now 1,000 instead. So the next day, 1,000 lb will be drained. But when the duration of the major creation expires, 3,000 lb will be drained. If I don't refresh the major creation in time, I'll drop to -500 lb, which would collapse the pole. But even if I do place a new major creation into it in time, 1,000 lb will still be drained, putting me at 1,500 lb. Still above the critical mass, but the next day's upkeep will drop me to the point where the pole collapses. So now I need to have two major created masses of metal added to the pole, raising me to 4,500. But when those two expire now, it would drop me to -1,500 lb, which means I need to keep both of them maintained at all times. And every day the upkeep drains more metal, putting me more and more in debt to major creation.

So it's awesome for the short-term, but you're never going to be able to have huge continent-spanning poles or environments lasting for years at a time or anything using it.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Pixie in the Playground

*facepalm* sorry, while I tend to notice things other people don't(or at least mention them when they don't, it's hard to tell the difference)(like the ancient oaks), I also don't notice things most people do.
    EDIT: Those are some pretty clever ideas for 400-level principles! I'm still in the conceptual phase for a lot of them, but you should see a few fairly soon. Thanks!
    Welcome!
    Edit: Also, you can use ebbs to create a feature and not just for upkeep, right?
    Double Edit: Also, the skill prerequisite for geoccultism is Knowledge (geography), but the key skill and the one used for skill DCs is survivals, is that right?
    Last edited by Draconas1; 2012-12-18 at 11:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ettin in the Playground

No, that's entirely right; let's say again my critical mass is 1,000, my upkeep every day is 500 for my features, and major creation gives me 3,000 lb. I use major creation on my 1,500 lb pole, raising my mass to 4,500 lb. I buy 2,000 lb of features, putting me at 2,500 lb. My daily upkeep is now 1,000 instead. So the next day, 1,000 lb will be drained. But when the duration of the major creation expires, 3,000 lb will be drained. If I don't refresh the major creation in time, I'll drop to -500 lb, which would collapse the pole. But even if I do place a new major creation into it in time, 1,000 lb will still be drained, putting me at 1,500 lb. Still above the critical mass, but the next day's upkeep will drop me to the point where the pole collapses. So now I need to have two major created masses of metal added to the pole, raising me to 4,500. But when those two expire now, it would drop me to -1,500 lb, which means I need to keep both of them maintained at all times. And every day the upkeep drains more metal, putting me more and more in debt to major creation.

So it's awesome for the short-term, but you're never going to be able to have huge continent-spanning poles or environments lasting for years at a time or anything using it.
    Ah, so the problem then is that the mass added more recently will be consumed after the older mass. I see.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    A actual Question:
    is their a way for transformers to have multiple Outs linked by distant IN transformers ?
    You missed me Kellus...
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #863

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    You missed me Kellus...
    I'm sorry!

There are a ton of ways to connect circuits together. Off the top of my head, there are class features in a ton of the prestige classes that do it, but an easy one to implement is the power ribbon terrain feature for a platinum pole. But yeah, there are quite a few ways to join circuits together.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconas
    Edit: Also, you can use ebbs to create a feature and not just for upkeep, right?
    Yes!
    Last edited by Kellus; 2012-12-18 at 11:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry!

There are a ton of ways to connect circuits together. Off the top of my head, there are class features in a ton of the prestige classes that do it, but an easy one to implement is the power ribbon terrain feature for a platinum pole. But yeah, there are quite a few ways to join circuits together.

Yes!

Shows that I need to finish reading before posting..Alright, Reading it all tonight, I want no complaints from the eyes about Hurting, Got it?

No worries, It happens to me a lot as well when you got lotsa people talking to you at once...I was trying to be mean though..
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

On the other hand, Major Creation a bunch of metal pay upkeep in ebbs. Or use lightning pools to store energy up, then dump it into a silverOut to cast Major Creation. That does run into accruing costs, but let's see how big we can make our platinum city instantaneously.

Density of Platinum in lb/ft^3 * ft^3/spell level * spell level * spell duration/casting time
    1339 lb/ft^3 * 1 ft^3/spell level * 11 * 220 min/10 min = 324,038 lbs static.
    That's a 324,400 ft radius (~61.4 miles) if you got 3,240 grammarists to all prepare it at the same time. It would last until next upkeep, of course.
    (This scales as the square of spell level, though- 11th level is just the minimum.) Because upkeep is 5lbs per 100ft (ignoring the extra 400ft), each extra copy of silverOut you add gives you an extra twenty days on your duration if you're at the maximum range for one silverOut. If we have a single iceIn/phlogiston combo generating at least 12 ebbs/round with a woodOut (giving us our 11 for the casting), we can support 100 silverOuts off of one power source. That gives us 99*20+1 days… 1981 days, or 5.4 years. (We no longer need so many grammarists all at once, since they can grow the city at any point during the five years- the later they do, the longer it lasts.) So no, it's not even state-spanning, but you can create 11,900 square miles of city (a bit more than 39 New York Cities) that lasts for over five years- less if you want fancy features.
    Last edited by QuidEst; 2012-12-18 at 11:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #866

Quote Originally Posted by QuidEst View Post
    On the other hand, Major Creation a bunch of metal pay upkeep in ebbs. Or use lightning pools to store energy up, then dump it into a silverOut to cast Major Creation. That does run into accruing costs, but let's see how big we can make our platinum city instantaneously.

Density of Platinum in lb/ft^3 * ft^3/spell level * spell level * spell duration/casting time
    That's a 324,400 ft radius (~61.4 miles) if you got 3,240 grammarists to all prepare it at the same time. It would last until next upkeep, of course.
    (This scales as the square of spell level, though- 11th level is just the minimum.) Because upkeep is 5lbs per 100ft (ignoring the extra 400ft), each extra copy of silverOut you add gives you an extra twenty days on your duration if you're at the maximum range for one silverOut. If we have a single iceIn/phlogiston combo generating at least 12 ebbs/round with a woodOut (giving us our 11 for the casting), we can support 100 silverOuts off of one power source. That gives us 99*20+1 days… 1981 days, or 5.4 years. (We no longer need so many grammarists all at once, since they can grow the city at any point during the five years- the later they do, the longer it lasts.) So no, it's not even state-spanning, but you can create 11,900 square miles of city (a bit more than 39 New York Cities) that lasts for over five years- less if you want fancy features.
    Okay, I give up. That's awesome.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuidEst View Post

Why do I know think that this Class Requires Knowlege above my pay grade? (And for that matter, Above my Personal Knowledge level)
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, I give up. That's awesome.
    Actually, we're not finished abusing this yet. We've already established that we can use metamagic with silverIn. We can cast Extended Major Creation in order to double the duration for an increase of only 1 spell level. That puts our minimum caster level at 13, but we also gain the benefit of the increased caster level! We've got plenty of ebbs to fuel it. Because mass goes up as the square of the caster level, it allows us to increase our radius without changing our duration.

If we really want to go all-out, we can eke slightly better performance out of lead. It's half as dense as platinum, but lasts three times as long, making swamps the optimal choice for area or duration.

Why do I know think that this Class Requires Knowlege above my pay grade? (And for that matter, Above my Personal Knowledge level)
    It's a class based on engineering. It doesn't require math to use, just to abuse. (Well, Eldrikinetics takes math to use.)
    Last edited by QuidEst; 2012-12-19 at 12:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I drew something up about gramaric circuit diagrams once, would anyone else be interested in that? They were kind of a cross between electrical circuit diagrams and alchemy symbols. I'm working on a second draft right now, at least for my own reference (and with all the stuff that's been included since).

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

This....Is utterly amazing.
    Finally finished Alechmety...now, My Homebrew Approver is probobally going to tear this to shreds, But...Still, I think I now Understand some of the Text walls
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig