New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default 101+ Worse kinds of players

I got this not so original idea from the WotC forums, but I want it not just to be the archetypes, but personal ones as well. Therefore, i give you #1

1. The Miles

The Miles is named after a kid from camp. He is arrogant and everything must go his way, be it xp, money, or magic item. The next year he continued with his overlypowered ranger as the rest of us started new characters. He and I were the more annoying ones, but I was considered the lesser of two evils.

I now go to a new school in Conn. (theraputic boarding school, long story). Who shows up two days after me? That brat Miles. When someone started the DnD club here (it is still in the process of character sheets, longer story) Miles wanted to be his ranger. But in the year in which i didnt see him (I aged out of the camp) his ranger became CE and a blackguard. He also had a velociraptor mount making him too powerful for a begginner game, yet he wanted to play as that character. Both the DM and the club president refused, and he now refuses to plays and torments me, the DM and the club president as nerds. HE however, paints his nails and flirts with everyone, and he used to play DnD...Yeah Miles, you are sooo much cooler than me (sarcasm)

Next person?
    Last edited by Dkalban; 2006-10-30 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Didnt complete form

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: 101+ Worse kinds of players

#2. Me. Be very, very afraid.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

#3 One-face
    This is the player that has one character, no matter what class, race, or gender. Same mannerisms, voice, attitude, actions, everything, which are invariably of the nondescript nature. Often favors playing a single class. Most common choices: Fighter, Rogue.
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam.
    Thanks to Ceika for the great avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

#4: The drizzt fanboy who's every character is a dual scimitar wielding drow ranger with an angst problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Chumleigh View Post
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    You just earned seventeen cool points by my reckoning. And I'm so sigging that.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

5. - Top - End - #5

#5 What's this do again?
    The player who refuses to learn the rules for his own abilities and constantly asks the DM to look up spells for him, since he refuses to buy the books or look them up in the SRD.
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam.
    Thanks to Ceika for the great avatar.

6. - Top - End - #6

^I have a group full of them.
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

#6: The leniant GM. Sure it's nice the first couple of times when you get to argue you yourself out of a problem or 2 at the beginning of the campaing but at hour 3 of a 4 hour long arguement with a player who absolutly needs to have it his way you wish the DM would just put his foot down and end the arguement.
    Last edited by Name_Here; 2006-10-30 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Spelling error

8. - Top - End - #8

#7 The Tweak-Freak
    Wants to improve each and every part of his equipment with custom mods (this for systems which allow such things), worse, EXPLAINS in detail how this would work, and just doesn't stop.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

#8 The Kender

This is the kind of player who always plays annoying pranksters and other such frustrations. He won’t approach the game with any amount of seriousness at all. He generally ruins the playing environment for everyone else. Then he wonders why the Dm won’t invite him back for a different game.

#9 I’m the Best, Me!!

This is the kind of player who comes up with the most silly and obnoxious actions a character can come up with, and follows through with them. He routinely fails at these tasks. Later on after the game session he’s overjoyed to talk about his “awesome” character.

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateWench

#10 The Armchair GM

The guy who is never satisfied being the player and ends up playing the same character everytime. (re:#3 One-face) In order to get out of this, he states that he really wants to run a game. However more often than not, when he is given the opportunity to run, he comes up with the same contrived, played hooks and draws, or even worse completely steals an adventure posted online. He is convinced that he is a good DM, no matter the reticence the players have concerning his abilities. Will continue to do this until the rest of the group lets him meet the "get a clue" bat.
    Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.

-Helen Gurley Brown

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

#11 - Greedy-fingers McCoy

This player cannot abide the rest of his party having more money than him. In fact, if he had it his way, they'd have no money and all of it would go to him for things he wants to buy, assuming he'd even purchase something at all. D&D for him isn't an adventure game, it's a bank simulation game. He will lie, cheat, manipulate and even apply a few Sleight of Hand and Bluff checks to make sure that the majority of the money and magic items go to him and not the rest of the party. Such players are almost always rogues, though any class sufficiently sneaky in nature will often do for them.
    Last edited by Saithis Bladewing; 2006-10-30 at 03:00 PM.

Some things are better left in the darkest places...
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Steam

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

#12 The Brute

His favourite template is Half-“Whatever-Gives-The-Highest-Str-Bonus!”. Plays the same dumb ogre/dragon/bugbear character in every champagne, even when the Dm has informed the players that it will be a low-combat investigation scenario. Favourite activity in-game is getting himself thrown in jail after a random bar-fight.
    When did you last walk into a clean dungeon, and felt safe?!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi,

Sorry to be the fly in the oinment but the GM and group I play with are all excellent when we play. The only problem I have is getting them to turn off the football etc so we can play.
    Fistandantalus

14. - Top - End - #14

#13 The "I AM THE RULES!" Player

This player has no regards for the rules because of a certain quality they believe they have. Perhaps they won a RPG competition, or have been playing since version 1, but whatever it they believe this makes whatever they say right, even if the rulebook blatantly contradicts them.

#14 The Split-Personalitied Player

This player will argue with everything you say. Everything. And they cannot possibly be wrong. The difference between this and number #13 is how they respond to the result of an argument. #13 will continue arguing forever, even if you just give up and agree with him. #14's responses range from 'sulking and pouting, and saying they were only joking, to insisting that they never really believed what they were saying it was just what someone else had told them, to even getting up and telling the players they didn't want to play with them in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    Yes! CLEARLY your personal experience is a better, more accurate source of statistics than a nationwide survey! Man, it rocks to be you!
    (Not referring to me)
    Spoiler
    Show

Ilidan by Were-sandwich. Drenai Tieflings and Human by me.

Owner of a Darkcoraxatar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

#15 - The Rules Lawyer

This player has taken it to memorize the rules and no matter what you do or say, he will know the exact rule and the page number it's on. He will proceed to contradict anyone who gets a rule even slightly wrong, and if you try to argue with him, he will pull out the rulebook and proceed to tell you, in detail, why you are wrong. If the DM decides to contradict the book's rulings, he will often throw a temper tantrum and yell things to the effect of 'BUT THAT'S NOT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME!'
    Last edited by Saithis Bladewing; 2006-10-30 at 03:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Sa View Post
    #13 The "I AM THE RULES!" Player

This player has no regards for the rules because of a certain quality they believe they have. Perhaps they won a RPG competition, or have been playing since version 1, but whatever it they believe this makes whatever they say right, even if the rulebook blatantly contradicts them.

#14 The Split-Personalitied Player

This player will argue with everything you say. Everything. And they cannot possibly be wrong. The difference between this and number #13 is how they respond to the result of an argument. #13 will continue arguing forever, even if you just give up and agree with him. #14's responses range from 'sulking and pouting, and saying they were only joking, to insisting that they never really believed what they were saying it was just what someone else had told them, to even getting up and telling the players they didn't want to play with them in the first place.
    He's getting to you again isn't he?
    Oh.
    Oh, my.
    Cheers,
    --Count Chumleigh

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saithis_Bladewing View Post
    #11 - Greedy-fingers McCoy
    I feel for you; as a frequent victim of a "McCoy", I can totally identify here.

Only I think our guy did it to annoy the other players more than to actually acquire the stuff...
    Last edited by ishi; 2006-10-30 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Code problem

18. - Top - End - #18

#16 The "It's in this Book so I get to Use It" Player

This player thinks a book has more authority than the DM, and thus will try to force non-sanctioned material in because WotC (or sometimes some 3rd party) said it is "balanced".

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

#17 The Architect
    Gets bored easily, so spends his time trying to place all of his dice in a vertical stack, forming a tower.

#18 The Drunkard
    Gets hammered during the gaming session. In between gulps, has his character get hammered.

#19 The Hypochondriac
    Freaks out when his character gets put in a bad situation. Treats every wound as though it brings his character to the very door of death (even when it's hitting his 15th-level Barbarian for 3HP of damage).
    Last edited by Telonius; 2006-10-30 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Forgot one

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

#20 The Disabled

He thinks that having badly distributed stats (for example, STR as dump for a fighter) and a bad build makes him automatically a better roleplayer. Also considers everyone with a more optimized character than his to be a total munchkin and roll-player.

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfBarbarianGuy

21. The Microgamer

It is this gamers personal mission to bring the game to a screeching halt by focusing on minute details, mundane tasks, or random unrelated events when everyone moves on. Spending a few minutes haggling with a merchant is ok, turning the entire session into arguing with the merchant over prices gets old. Also known to do things like walking down random alleys(away from the party), Going to the bar and get drunk while the rest of the group is in combat, and trying to tame squrrels during the planning sessions. His presence is normally annouced by his interjection during the GM's description of someone to ask what color their socks are, or stating that they would like to break into a random house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

# 22 The Resource Weenie:

Invariably plays a spellcaster, and invariably wants to bail the dungeon much sooner than everyone else, just because he's "getting low on spells". He's not OUT of spells, mind you, usually not even close...there just seems to be some warning level indicator in his mind that only he can see, based on criteria only he knows, and once it's reached, all he does is whine until he gets to rest and get his spells back.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"-J. Lennon

23. - Top - End - #23

DwarfClericGuy

#23 -- The Fish out of Water

This player picks the most asinine character class/feat combinations, such as a Samurai with point blank shot as his first-level feat, a ranger with archery focus who religiously wades into melee, or a cleric of a nonmarital deity whose strength and con are higher than his Wisdom, and who has a ridiculous spell selection (No healing, for example). When confronted with the stupidity of this, (like pointing out how it's a bad idea to weild two bastard swords, seeing as you're a second-level rogue without the correct feats) he'll say something ridiculous, like "IT's only a minus four to hit."

#24 -- The Racial Paragon

No matter what the setting might be, where you're located in the world, or what kind of racism/etc you make clear is prevalent in the area, this person will always play the Dwarf/Halfling/Half-Orc. Every character, every time. Usually found in combination with #23.

#25 -- "I'm here for my Boyfriend"

The spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend/lifemate of another player who shows up to play. Generally, this player is flighty, disinterested, and unwilling to make the slightest effort to learn the rules and mechanics or to roleplay the freakin' game. In general, the addition of this player leads to neither him/her or the spouse player staying in the game for long, as (s)he gets bored and doesn't want to play any more.

#26 -- The DC setter

This player will want to carry out actions that are difficult and/or not something the character would do (ie -- a Fighter with an int of 8 coming up with a cunning plan), and will declare that (s)he is rolling "to see if my character would know/do this." A d20 is dropped, and a result is announced, generally in the form of "Ok, Gurk would think of this." Never is the DM asked what should be rolled, nor is he consulted for the setting of the DC.

#27-- The Munchkin

This player has 30 levels of progression mapped out for his character, starting at level one, with his templates, feats, classes, and PrCs all pre-chosen. His character has no real growth or development, and is instead like a MEch being upgraded as life goes on. His stats are Min/max'd, and at least once a session, he'll come up and ask "Would you allow..." Once you get to an apporpriate level for his next idiotic build designed to break the game and ruin things for everyone else, he'll beg to have his current character killed off or retired and the new one (More often than not a Half Dragon Ogre, or a shapechanged Red Dragon, or something equally stupid) brought in to play. No matter how disruptive to the plot this might be, or how much you try to explain how broken that Fighter/Barbarian/Hulking Hurler/Frenzied Berserker is, and how his own party will kill him the frist time he frenzies and starts attacking them, he insists on entering a deathless frenzy in the midst of his allies.

#28 -- Mr. Welsh

This guy just goes out of his way to do things that are campy, irritating, stupid, game-breaking, or jsut generally aggrevating. Feel free to look up his list of 550 things online. He's not one of my players, but I've had similar.

This is very cathartic...
    Last edited by Torger; 2006-10-30 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Post was Ninja'd
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

24. - Top - End - #24

SolithKnightGuy

#28-It's me! Aren't I a great roleplayer?
    Always plays the same character: himself/herself and thinks he's a great roleplayer because of the ridiculous description he gives for this 'charcter'. Closely related to one-face, but more extreme.

#29-Anything to annoy the DM.
    Whatever the DM sets up he will go out of his way to avoid it. If the party knows there is a problem to the south his response is "I go north". He doesn't care if anyone else wants to go on the actual adventure or not.

#30-I win at D&D.
    Comes to the game for the sole purpose of defeating the other players. Will kill them all if he can.

#31-I can beat the DM.
    When the DM asks what his character is going to be his response is "you'll see!" When pressed for details it is determined that his plan is to bring in something from a book that is not on the list that the DM has approved.
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Torger View Post
    #23 -- The Fish out of Water

This player picks the most asinine character class/feat combinations...
    ...and then complains about how their character can't do anything, then proceeds to call everyone else munchkins.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

#32 - Stupid Evil

This player is determined to be as evil as possible, obeying only the letter of the alignment and none of the spirit. He will eat babies, kill the bartender, kill the party members, steal, rape, murder and pillage no matter what you or anyone else will do, regardless of whether the paladin the party cares or not. All of his characters are like this, regardless of their actual alignment on paper.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

33 i think: stupid or uncharacter actions because it amuses me

They have their character do ridiculus stuff in-game because the novelty or whatever amuses them personally. last week a cleric of pelor in my party bashed the stone wall of a dungeon because the dwarven writing on the door had an anti-sun remark of them. This resulted in a devastating ambush by alerting every bad guy on the other side of the door. Only elan himself is so dim as to attempt this. (remember the heroes are here sign)

cause it will kill stuff better (like 21 munchkin) just bears repeating to me

also relentless power gamer who don't even justify their power gaming. Like someone once wanted to be a necromancer or something from libris mortis because it's abilities would kick butt with ones he already had. though his character was unnceromancer in every conceivable way and until he saw the level table never mentioned anything necromatic.

34: 1/2 dimensonal character

the entire characters life story is i'm a 18 year old level one fighter. so people whose character is nothing beyond their class levels and height,weight, etc. also calling everyone by their job cause they care nothing about their lives beyond their conribution to the battle. i had a party where it was ok, your sword fighter, your archer etc.
    Last edited by the_tick_rules; 2006-10-30 at 04:31 PM.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

#36 - Angsty McGoth, the Fearless Wonder

Tieflings, Demon Bloodlines and Vampires is the first choice of this player if at all possible. Though their characters may have abysmal Wisdom scores, and sunsequently low will saves, they are fearless and do not understand how a mere spell can fill them with fear. NO! They have seen a thousand tragedies, have witnessed countless abominations. Iron has infused their souls which the most horrible sights cannot hope to pierce. In fact, they themselves have comitted many of these heinous acts, but now they just wish to cleanse themselves, to forget their deeds! But the fires of memory burn within, never to be forgotten, and anything that may be faced since cannot hold a candle to their past!

And lo, thus was it spoken by this being of steel. These extended words were in truth continued the length and breadth throughout the campaign, as the flames leapt from his eyes, and all did cower at their saying.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2006-10-30 at 04:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Zombie

The "I'm better then you at everything" guy.

This guy always plays a Wizard, Druid, or Cleric. Then proceeds to volunteer himself for every task because his spells make him better at it then the dedicated character. He'll say that he's better at stealth then a rogue, better at battle then the fighter, better at magic then the other casters. He'll frequently try to start duels and tell people in the campaign that his character would kill them in a straight up fight and go into great detail explaining how, then doesn't understand why it is that he spends the next campaign playing solitare with his miniatures.

Also heavily linked to munchinism and the One Face.
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    - Terry Pratchett

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

26: Headache guy

Always come with a hangover to the game and stays the whole session complaining about it.

27: Stupid DM

A DM that likes their NPCs so much that every single one aways pass the DC, are never surprised and just dies when the DM want them to.
    Last edited by Muffin_Man; 2006-10-30 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Number problem (I think)
    "You thought he was a man, but he was a muffin!"