New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Was Horace Greenhilt a bad father like Eugene

It seems like Harace hates his son and vice versa while doting on Roy simply because he choose to be a fighter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Was Horace Greenhilt a bad father like Eugene

It seems highly likely, but, based on the little information we have, not really knowable.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Hate is too strong a word, I think. However, I think it is clear that Horace does not understand Eugene at all, as Eugene likewise do not understand Roy. It is also very sad that neither of the fathers, even in afterlife, has the capacity to grow up to respect their respective sons.

I do feel that Roy is much more mature than both Eugene and Horace, and therefore Roy's children will have a better father.
    Hail Ohnic, god of gamblers and involuntary wanderers!
    If you dare to risk your fortunes against the odds, if you dare to make friends or enemies on the flick of a coin, if you always look forward to what tomorrow may bring, then you are a follower of Ohnic.

"Not a problem, I pack light and talk fast!" – Minrah Elle Shaleshoe

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think he was an as bad father, just is not an as bad person, so in combination, he was not as bad as father.

But he did not seem to understand his son just as Eugene could not understand Roy. Horace also could not seem to accept that his son simply had different interests and a different outlook on life.

I think some of the things that made Eugene as horrible as he was to Roy is the fact how much he saw in his son of what he despised in his own father.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Maybe Roy will dislike his own son for being like eugene

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by about50heavies View Post
    Maybe Roy will dislike his own son for being like eugene
    Possibly. As others have noted, we do not know much about the pasts of Eugene or Horace. We do know Roy pretty well, though. Just going off my gut-reaction, Roy doesn't seem like someone who would take out his frustrations on an innocent person (his child with different interests). Just because his dad was not at all supportive doesn't give Roy the right to act the same (in his mind, at least). He would just deal with it and learn to accept it.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It seems highly likely, but, based on the little information we have, not really knowable.
    This is most agreeable, however, from Horace's point of view, it seems that he legitimately tried to be a part of his son's life.

Granted, I'm not sure as to what degree Eugene tried to tried to be a part of Roy's life, though from Roy's point of view, it wasn't much.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ohnic View Post
    I do feel that Roy is much more mature than both Eugene and Horace, and therefore Roy's children will have a better father.
    I'm not convinced Roy will survive to have children. Durkon and Belkar definitely die; Elan (and presumably Haley) will survive. The fate of Roy, Vaarsuvius (except for 44 minutes, 16 seconds), Blackwing, and Mr. Scruffy are unknown.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The Impression I got is that Horace at least initially tried to interact with Eugene, but it seems to have all broken down and the two eventually ceased any contact and were on bad terms when Horace died.

Eugene seeing his father in Roy definitely played a role in their relationship, although I don't think Horace was the kind of person who would have made the deal with Roy the way Eugene did (although we really don't know at this point).
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

And lets not forget Roy's siblings. His brother died, causing Roy to not only resent his father, but to have a weary eye on magic, and his sister followed in daddy's footsteps, giving Eugene a place to focus his love on.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I think this is more of a classic example of grandparents and grandchildren getting along, whereas the middle generation is left out (at least until they have grandchildren of their own).

Though it does surely have its reasons.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

12. - Top - End - #12

I think it looks nicer with a couple extra lines above and below

"Always telling me how stupid I was. I'll admit, I ain't one for words when action'll do, but it ain't right for a boy to say that to his old man."- Horace

I get the feeling that any strain in their relationship was largely Eugene's fault.

Last edited by Boogastreehouse; 2012-12-28 at 06:49 PM. Reason: edit
    2012 Kickstart Pledge Drive Backer# 12,851

Their: a possessive pronoun like “her” or “our”
    There: refers to a place ("the Kobold is over THERE"), or to indicate the existence of something, or to mention something for the first time. ("THERE is a Halfling sneaking up on him")
    They're: a contraction of “they are.”

Also: Your/You're, Its/It's, Then/Than.

And... I believe in you.
    —click!
    C fl epefggj cd gpyb hcex jpz.

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I'm not convinced Roy will survive to have children. Durkon and Belkar definitely die; Elan (and presumably Haley) will survive. The fate of Roy, Vaarsuvius (except for 44 minutes, 16 seconds), Blackwing, and Mr. Scruffy are unknown.
    Roy's died before and he got better. Very few, if any people have an incentive to raise Belkar, and Durkon's prophesy obviously needs to be resolved somehow, but that doesn't mean death isn't cheap.

14. - Top - End - #14

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Boogastreehouse View Post

"Always telling me how stupid I was. I'll admit, I ain't one for words when action'll do, but it ain't right for a boy to say that to his old man."- Horace

I get the feeling that any strain in their relationship was largely Eugene's fault.

I agree with this. Horace seems to have had a hard time relating to his son's more intellectual bent, but consider: Horace didn't get along with Eugene; Eugene didn't get along with Roy. The common denominator is Eugene. Couple that with the fact that every time he's onscreen Eugene is an abrasive jerk, and I'm thinking that he carries more of the blame for the poor relationship than Horace does.
    Last edited by Gitman00; 2012-12-29 at 01:59 AM.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that Roy will try to push his own son into being a warrior and carrying the family sword. But when young Horace chooses to be a bard instead, Roy won't be able to understand or respect the choice.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Horace tried to force Eugene to go fishing, but Eugene didn't like it, so Horace said the boy didn't even try. It's now interpreted as "At least he showed interest in getting along with his son".

Eugene tried to get Roy interested in magic, but Roy didn't like it, so Eugene said the boy didn't even try. It's now interpreted as "Eugene didn't give Roy his space and wants to force his views on him".

Horace later resented his son for choosing a different path than himself and becoming a wizard.
    Eugene later resented his son for choosing a different path than himself and becoming a fighter.

In the end neither of them could get along with their sons, largely due to father and son being very different.
    Roy and Horace are very similar in some ways, so they get along fine. Since they're so similar they both don't get along well with Eugene. Blaming solely Eugene for that ("the common denominator") a bit unfair I think.

Also we largely get Horace's view on the matter. His son being uncooperative about an issue Horace and Roy both like - so of course they agree that it was stupid of Eugene to not like it too.

Is Eugene a crappy father? Yes, absolutely.
    Was Horace any better? I don't know, but he definitely made mistakes too.

Was Eugene a bad son? Probably.
    Is Roy a bad son? Probably.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Is Roy a bad son? Probably.
    There's no evidence of that.

Roy's got his flaws but what has he ever done to hurt his father except for frequent snarkiness?

Actually, Roy's snarkiness is a tribute to his father so Roy's a pretty good son.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

From the interactions between Roy, Horace, and Eugene, I get the feeling Horace is one of those people who makes a wonderful distant grandparent, but not so great a parent. Hopefully, Roy will be different.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's a really interesting question, in my view. I'm not a fan of Eugene at all, so I don't have any trouble entertaining a notion that basically Eugene was just a jerk to all parties. But I do wonder. One that kinda jumped out at me was 497, and Horace's "I'm still surprised he liked girls."

I don't want to be all hyper-judgmental of this at all, but if you wanted to see signs of where stress might be applied on Horace's end, imagine that he looked cross-eyed at Eugene's pursuit of magic because he saw it as unmanly and perhaps outright homosexual, and see where your sympathy tends to go.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    There's no evidence of that.
    No there isn't really, and that's my point.

The only "evidence" we have for Eugene being a bad son is Horace's testimony, who seems kinda biased in the opinion that he himself was a great dad, and so it must have been all Eugene's fault.
    Roy, who doesn't get along with Eugene either, is just more than willing to buy into that theory right away without second guessing it at all.

But as I mentioned before the one line you quoted from my post, I pointed out why I don't think Horace was a great dad at all.

We have no actual proof that Eugene was any more rebellious towards his own dad than any other teenager is.

At the same time "evidence" that Roy was a bad son coming from Eugene is automatically dismissed as being biased and because Eugene is kind of a jerk, so once again it must have all been Eugene's fault.
    Last edited by Morquard; 2012-12-30 at 06:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    At the same time "evidence" that Roy was a bad son coming from Eugene is automatically dismissed as being biased and because Eugene is kind of a jerk, so once again it must have all been Eugene's fault.
    The evidence is not "automatically dismissed." The evidence is nonexistent*. You're complaining because we're not manufacturing evidence, in defiance of the actual comic, that shows Roy as being to blame for his bad relationship with Eugene.

*And no, "Eugene thinks it was horrible of Roy to be a fighter" is not somehow evidence of Roy doing something bad.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    It's a really interesting question, in my view. I'm not a fan of Eugene at all, so I don't have any trouble entertaining a notion that basically Eugene was just a jerk to all parties. But I do wonder. One that kinda jumped out at me was 497, and Horace's "I'm still surprised he liked girls."

I don't want to be all hyper-judgmental of this at all, but if you wanted to see signs of where stress might be applied on Horace's end, imagine that he looked cross-eyed at Eugene's pursuit of magic because he saw it as unmanly and perhaps outright homosexual, and see where your sympathy tends to go.
    I agree. That line also made me wonder if Horace might have done a bad job at being a father to Eugene. It's just the sort of thing a father who has a bookish son he doesn't bother to try to understand would say.
    It doesn't excuse Eugene's treatment of Roy, of course. If anything, Eugene should have known what it's like to have a father who disapproves of everything you do.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

I've forgotten, was there ever any mention of Eugene having siblings? Was he an only child?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I suspect Roy will survive to have children in part because of this issue. That is, given the hints of the cyclical nature of Greenhilt father/son dysfunction (at least in recent years), I think it would be a fitting conclusion* to see Roy being totally cool with a non-fighter son.

*Assuming any kind of "where are they now?" epilogue appears, at least, which won't necessarily be the case.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm guessing you're basing your guess about Elan surviving on his prophesy about a happy ending, but I don't think we can be so sure. I do actually think the chances of him surviving are pretty high, but if he died happy after the Order wins then I think that could be considered a "happy ending" for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

My experience is that in many cases, the mistakes your parents make are from trying too hard not to make the mistakes their parents made.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm guessing you're basing your guess about Elan surviving on his prophesy about a happy ending, but I don't think we can be so sure. I do actually think the chances of him surviving are pretty high, but if he died happy after the Order wins then I think that could be considered a "happy ending" for him.
    Elan is the least likely of all the Order to interpret "happy ending" as meaning, "you will be happy even though you're dying" rather than "classically happy ending."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Elan? Seriously? That would be a satisfying ending, but still a tragic one.

The people with the happy ending, in nearly every major tale, are the ones kissing at the end. That's why I assume that Elan and Haley will survive.

(Besides, for Elan to have a happy ending, he'd need to find a whistle.)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The evidence is not "automatically dismissed." The evidence is nonexistent*. You're complaining because we're not manufacturing evidence, in defiance of the actual comic, that shows Roy as being to blame for his bad relationship with Eugene.

*And no, "Eugene thinks it was horrible of Roy to be a fighter" is not somehow evidence of Roy doing something bad.
    Ok, either I'm really bad at saying what I want to say or you're deliberately ignoring the point of my post.

You COULD say that Roy's choice to become a fighter was at least partly inspired by Horace and how Eugene hated him, and therefor a way to stick it to him. Could, mind you. Apparently the career choice worked out fine so far, with a little detour to the celestial realm, but still, so it was the right choice.

The same is the case for Eugene though. He is a different person than Horace. More intellectual and more book-learned etc, and being a wizard worked out great for him too. In fact I believe that his choice to become a wizard was less "lets stick it to my dad" inspired than Roy's was - though I have no proof of that.

In some regards Roy is more like Eugene maybe than he wants to admit. Higher than average Int, at fighter college he was hazed for actually reading books etc, cross-class skills in knowledge stuff and possibly Spellcraft.

No, in both cases the normal teenage "rebellious phase" probably played a huge role too, which you can't really fault them for.

My point:
    Eugene = bad father? Most absolutely and certainly.
    Eugene = bad son? I really don't see it.
    Because if you do, you also have to start applying the same standards to Roy and then (and only then) will Roy seem to be just as bad a son.

Or in other words:
    Yes Horace was a bad father. Great Grandfather - towards Roy at least, we don't know how he'll connect to Julia eventually. But father? Not so awesome.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Michaeler View Post
    My experience is that in many cases, the mistakes your parents make are from trying too hard not to make the mistakes their parents made.

This Be the Verse
    By Philip Larkin

They [mess] you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were [mess]ed up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.