New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread

The chronerut, psionic agent of the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus, is complete.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Banned

I just realized I forgot to give the llorrick languages to speak.

I really like the Quintessence Golem, incidentally.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great. Now even my D&D characters are getting rickroll'd!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuincherguixe View Post
    ... that works really well, it's almost like...

Oh god! Chuck Norris is Cthulhu! It all makes sense now. Everything is meaningless! Only in death can we escape!

*hangs self*

4. - Top - End - #754
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    I really like the Quintessence Golem, incidentally.
    Thanks! And speaking of, I was looking back over the quintessence golem, and for its CR it looks like it would just be destroyed by any melee character, so I thought I'd add in some DR 10/piercing or slashing. Does that sound like too much? I don't really play in many games higher than ECL 5-7, so I'm not sure if that would make it too difficult an encounter, or if it's too easy as it is anyway.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

I agree that the quintessence golem is really sweet. I'm just trying to imagine how difficult it would be to amass a thousand pounds of it to make one, considering that every time you interact with it there's a 75% chance of it disappearing.

I also made it part of one of my plot hooks, if that's okay with you. It's just that the idea of a living blob of time is really cool.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by littlechicory View Post
    Great. Now even my D&D characters are getting rickroll'd!
    Hehehehehehe!

7. - Top - End - #757
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Reality Shifter is up. Any suggestions on CR?
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    Thanks! And speaking of, I was looking back over the quintessence golem, and for its CR it looks like it would just be destroyed by any melee character, so I thought I'd add in some DR 10/piercing or slashing. Does that sound like too much? I don't really play in many games higher than ECL 5-7, so I'm not sure if that would make it too difficult an encounter, or if it's too easy as it is anyway.
    Since most weapons used by melee-heavy types are slashing or peircing this wouldn't make hardly any difference... you at least want to throw "Magic" on there, but at the levels I believe you are talking about even that wouldn't do much... hmmm... can't use alignment because it is True Neutral... and Adamintine, cold iron, or silver doesn't make any sense (especially not Adamintine since it is a liquid)... maybe just reduce the amount and make it X/- ???
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Too many of the Reality Shifter's effects are perminant on itself... they would have likely hit them all by the time the PCs encounter them. So 1/12 height, an odd color, etc... put a days or months limitation on it I think.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    I'm just trying to imagine how difficult it would be to amass a thousand pounds of it to make one, considering that every time you interact with it there's a 75% chance of it disappearing.
    Well, just imagine that the other components used in their construction (the extra 1000gp in rare oils and powders) prevent it from evaporating into the ether.

Man, I'm great at thinking on my feet!

And yeah, feel free to use it wherever. That's whole point of homebrewing, right?

@DracoDei: Yeah, I thought about using DR/magic, but I know by 10th level that won't stop anything (except maybe the Wizard trying to lay into it with his masterwork dagger because he can't use his spells). Maybe DR 5/- will work. I'll try to think about it later today (I've got a 5-hour bus ride this evening) and decide then.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #761

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Too many of the Reality Shifter's effects are perminant on itself... they would have likely hit them all by the time the PCs encounter them. So 1/12 height, an odd color, etc... put a days or months limitation on it I think.
    Oh yeah, forgot to change that part. Nothing it does is supposed to be permanent.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

I decided to go for "deceptively simple" this time around.

Rough draft of Astral Pack-Beast posted. Will add carrying capacity later. Suggestions welcome on market price (and anything else that occurs to people).

Edit: Added All-Around Vision... because from the description it has it so...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-04-10 at 11:04 AM.
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #763
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, I've edited a few things suggested by VT and basically completed everything, plot hooks included.

Kellus: I hope you don't mind that I took a page out of your book and threw in your Chronerut in a plot hook. The two seem to work really well together (well, not together, but as opposing forces).

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

14. - Top - End - #764
    Banned

Everyone should now have a message about their entry.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Banned

And the Llorrick has been modified accordingly.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Have gotten and instituted the tweak/corrections VT recommended to my Astral Pack-Beast.

One of his suggestions was that I should add the Extraplanar subtype. I had indeed considered it, but since they were made on the material plane, I decided against it. I certiainly don't think that a Dismissal or Banishment should send it to the Astral Plane... and nothing is considered extraplanar on the Astral Plane so such spells would never send it from their to the material plane. In case of such spells at the other end of a planar trip, I think the owners would much rather it went back to the material rather than the Astral since it is my impression that it would be safer (for one thing it would start to starve on the Astral), and possibly easier to recover there. I accidently gave it Native Subtype temporarily, but I am going to remove that since it only applies to Outsiders.

Clarified/Emphasize that they are not slimy to hold tentacles with or ride on since I THINK he MAY have been confused on that point... but maybe he just thought that a slug like being with a base movement speed of 10 feet makes for a poor mount (not to mention rediculous).

Also, added some stuff about reproduction too (having nothing to do with VTs comments).

Need suggestions on:
    • Should I give it an ability that prevents it from being banished to the Astral despite its Extraplanar subtype? Should I remove that subtype for the reasons I stated?
    • Considering giving it a racial bonus to having its willing travelers (and maybe unwilling ones (especially if they were willing at the time they were grasped, but later succombed to a "Charm Person" or whatever) removed from its grasp (anywhere from +2 to +10)... opposed grapple, including prying the tentacles off, or getting into a tug of war... this would also apply to disarming it of normal objects, but I doubt that would come up nearly as often.
    • I really could use some suggestions on market price... I am going to guestimate 1,000 gp just as a round number, but I really don't know... somewhere between a horse and a Bag of Holding I think... although the fact that it allows weapon weilding by more people in an Astral Caravan is also good, but any Psion of 5th or 6th level is almost certainly going to just spend the 2 extra power points to augment his *Astral Traveler* power and get the bubble, which works much better in almost every regard (although it does give a miss chance for ranged attacks which PCs tend to use more of than my impression of what Astral encounters use).

On another issue: I note with interest that with only 7 entries we have covered 6 different creature types, and not hit and of the more common ones (Magical Beasts, Humanoids, Monsterous Humanoids... and animals but those probably don't count since anything with psionics would probably qualify as a Magical Beast instead), I don't know if this just says we are just naturally creative, or are actively avoiding repeating a creature type (I know that wasn't part of my motivation), or it is just random chance... I don't remember how wide spread the types were in previous contests... in any case I shall be posting a psionic Ooze in a seperate thread, just to see how many theoretical entries we can make before the contest ends... if people really go gaga over it and the rules allow, I might swap it out as my entry for the contest.

Edit: Expanded on the subject of how and what it eats.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-04-17 at 03:17 PM.
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #767

Have gotten and instituted the tweak/corrections VT recommended to my Astral Pack-Beast.

One of his suggestions was that I should add the Extraplanar subtype. I had indeed considered it, but since they were made on the material plane, I decided against it. I certiainly don't think that a Dismissal or Banishment should send it to the Astral Plane... and nothing is considered extraplanar on the Astral Plane so such spells would never send it from their to the material plane. In case of such spells at the other end of a planar trip, I think the owners would much rather it went back to the material rather than the Astral since it is my impression that it would be safer (for one thing it would start to starve on the Astral), and possibly easier to recover there. I accidently gave it Native Subtype temporarily, but I am going to remove that since it only applies to Outsiders.
    But, but, it's an Astral Pack-Beast.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that is where it is made for traveling... doesn't mean it was biomanced out mundane creatures there, or that most of them spend most of their time there.
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

I've made the changes and added a lore table while I had the edit screen up.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Clarified/Nerfed the Astral Pack-Beast's power so it can't target others with it. Normally I probably would have waited until after the contest ended, but since I don't have any votes anyway...
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #771

Clarified/Nerfed the Astral Pack-Beast's power so it can't target others with it. Normally I probably would have waited until after the contest ended, but since I don't have any votes anyway...
    It's usually best to go for something that's really cool, or you'd want to use in a game as a DM. While your entry is good, it is rather, well, ordinary. People might like it, but won't vote for it.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

22. - Top - End - #772
    Firbolg in the Playground

can somebody rate my first homebrew?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

23. - Top - End - #773

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    can somebody rate my first homebrew?
    I'd be glad to take a look, but this thread is about a homebrew contest and not about homebrew reviews.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

The new competition is actually pretty difficult. I was tempted to make the Predator, but that's not really "original" and I doubt I'd do him/them justice.

Back to the ol' drawing board I guess.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    The new competition is actually pretty difficult. I was tempted to make the Predator, but that's not really "original" and I doubt I'd do him/them justice.

Back to the ol' drawing board I guess.
    Yah it was pretty difficult to come up with a concept.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

The Death Gaze is now up. Also, Vaynor seems to have broken my first-to-post-in-the-competition-thread streak .
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

27. - Top - End - #777

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    The Death Gaze is now up. Also, Vaynor seems to have broken my first-to-post-in-the-competition-thread streak .
    Well I was on when the contest was posted. And everything past the concept was pretty much just writing down what was in my head, that and making sure it made sense rules-wise.

Speaking of that, is my transparency description confusing?

Edit: After looking at your entry, how is it invisible/not able to be seen? If you're going with the "not what it seems" approach I guess that might work, but only if it has infested another person's eye. Otherwise it's just what it seems like, a floating eye with tentacles.
    Last edited by Vaynor; 2008-05-03 at 08:02 PM.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well I was on when the contest was posted. And everything past the concept was pretty much just writing down what was in my head, that and making sure it made sense rules-wise.

Speaking of that, is my transparency description confusing?

Edit: After looking at your entry, how is it invisible/not able to be seen? If you're going with the "not what it seems" approach I guess that might work, but only if it has infested another person's eye. Otherwise it's just what it seems like, a floating eye with tentacles.
    It basically replaces someones eye and creates illusions. You pretty much answered your own question.

29. - Top - End - #779

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    It basically replaces someones eye and creates illusions. You pretty much answered your own question.
    Oooh, I missed the makes illusions thing.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

30. - Top - End - #780
    Dwarf in the Playground

My first ever entry to a competition, the Hidden Flame, is now up. I'm not entirely sure of the CR, though, any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    If everything else fails, order Majora's mask to drop the moon on them. The night elves will be especially suprised at this.
    Thanks to _Puppetmaster_ for my avatar

Hylian of the church of Link's hat.

My Zelda related homebrews!
    Other homebrews:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Hidden Flame (monster)
    The Sword Of Stone (Artifact)