New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Monster Competition Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guyr Adamantine View Post
    I dunno, if voters will go over fluff to decide, I think Sir Shadow's and Dracodei's both have good chances.

Care to share suggestions with the class? If you have ideas, don't hesitate.
    Dude. It's Bhu. How exactly can he NOT win? He is the god of all creature creation. [/slightsarcasm]

Well, it's not that the race is flawed at all, it's just that the core concept isn't good for players.

Any suggestions on mine?

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Feels weird. I'm not the only guy that liked the Qus.

'Never cared much for Vieras, though, so I already knew I was an outcast.
    Well it's gonna get even weirder 'cause I think a race if scantily-clad bunny women is a terrible, terrible idea (although I suppose it is good for marketing, given the demograph of lonely nerds....).

Care to share suggestions with the class? If you have ideas, don't hesitate.
    You mean the race? I've been planning a set of races for the Underdeep of my campaign world, and I was thinking of something reptilian. I was just gonna make some burly lizardmen and call it a day, but your guys are waaay cooler.

I wouldn't trust myself to offer big chunks of advice, because they are already a cool +2 race (it would be hard to cut things down and still stay true to the orignial idea). The only thing I can think of is to add another bonus language or two. Even though the gridoll have an Intelligence penalty, a gridoll with a 16 would know all languages there are to know. Draconic might make sense to speak with other reptilian humanoids, heck maybe throw in some Goblin. After all, small goblins make tasty dinners!

Or maybe add Pembunuh. as a bonus language
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2008-07-08 at 10:12 PM.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ogre in the Playground

Any suggestions on mine?
    Just to confirm, the ghostfolk shift to another plane, not the ethereal plane, correct?

Also, you might want to change shifting to something else (displace maybe?) to avoid confusion with Shifters from Eberron.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2008-07-08 at 10:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #904

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    Just to confirm, the ghostfolk shift to another plane, not the ethereal plane, correct?

Also, you might want to change shifting to something else (displace maybe?) to avoid confusion with Shifters from Eberron.
    Yes, they shift to a demi-plane much like the ethereal one.

No way am I changing the core idea of shifting. That's the very center core of the race.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Bornura are SPARKLY, which is close enough to cute for me... the Pembunuh on the other hand... not even trace amounts of cute...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-07-08 at 10:38 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Dude. It's Bhu. How exactly can he NOT win? He is the god of all creature creation. [/slightsarcasm]
    That's why I made my show when he entered. I want everyone to push themselves and create something worthy of winning. Bhu got his name known, so everyone already expect something good from him. We need to shine a little more, if only to be considered.

Well, it's not that the race is flawed at all, it's just that the core concept isn't good for players.
    I tried to make up for the flaws of high-level eating with some feats, but I'd like some ideas people can come up with. I'm just a man! A fat one!

Any suggestions on mine?
    A question, actually. What happens to the Ghostfolk's innate cantrips if he gets a Sorcerer level?

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000
    Well it's gonna get even weirder 'cause I think a race if scantily-clad bunny women is a terrible, terrible idea (although I suppose it is good for marketing, given the demograph of lonely nerds....).
    I just thought they were bland. It ain't like I'm gonna spit on scantily-clad bunny girls!

(And I just proved I was in the "Lonely Nerd Demographic")

You mean the race? I've been planning a set of races for the Underdeep of my campaign world, and I was thinking of something reptilian. I was just gonna make some burly lizardmen and call it a day, but your guys are waaay cooler.

I wouldn't trust myself to offer big chunks of advice, because they are already a cool +2 race (it would be hard to cut things down and still stay true to the orignial idea). The only thing I can think of is to add another bonus language or two. Even though the gridoll have an Intelligence penalty, a gridoll with a 16 would know all languages there are to know. Draconic might make sense to speak with other reptilian humanoids, heck maybe throw in some goblin. After all, small goblins make tasty dinners!
    Ahhh, that kind of changes. I guess there's no bitching to be done, then.

Now, I said I was gonna comment on the Bornura:

I'll make it short, I'd say the Cristal Edge should be an augmentation to your unarmed strikes rather than a weapon, like gauntlets.

Also, I find the idea to nosebleed weapons and armor hilarious.
    Last edited by Guyr Adamantine; 2008-07-08 at 10:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strongarm Warrior: An actually worthwhile Monkey Grip-focused PrC!
    Guyr Adamantine Avatar by Tomb Raven.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, I find the idea to nosebleed weapons and armor hilarious.
    You have no idea how long I was waiting for someone to notice that

Bornura are SPARKLY, which is close enough to cute for me... the Pembunuh on the other hand... not even trace amounts of cute...
    The bornura are also full of bad puns (mostly mineral-related).

I'll make it short, I'd say the Cristal Edge should be an augmentation to your unarmed strikes rather than a weapon, like gauntlets.
    Excellent idea. I'll get to work on it in the morning, as it is past my bedtime.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Orc in the Playground

Ghkmafhfvcrmuhcdiukjhy!

*Falls on the floor, drooling.*

(Sorry, I just got a nervous breakdown realising somebody wanted to use my homebrew. MINE! It took me long, but I did.)
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #909

--- Added several feats catering to their two racial abilties.
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Bhu is here.....*burns new entry in the works*

..not really. I hope I can have mah new race up tomorrow so you guys will be able to rip it to shreds

EDIT: and BTW, what are these mole-rats I've heard so much about?
    My silly campaign has lots of anthropomorphic animal people. But along with the usual I included some more exotic stuff like walruses, woodpeckers, slugs, and naked mole rats. Since I haven't got their Favored Class (Professional Wrassler) done yet I went with the evil race :D
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

That's why I made my show when he entered. I want everyone to push themselves and create something worthy of winning. Bhu got his name known, so everyone already expect something good from him. We need to shine a little more, if only to be considered.
    WHile I feel flattered by he idea of the bar being raised merely by my entering, I think I have my work cut out actually. I didn't go with a choice that I thought would be popular, and I toned it down a LOT for the boards to avoid having the mods do spit takes...

On a side note I had no idea I was infamous. Sweet!
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno, if voters will go over fluff to decide, I think Sir Shadow's and Dracodei's both have good chances.
    So that I may edit in even more of whatever you considered to be cool (as well as applying the lesson learned to future homebrews), may I ask what EXACT facets/themes/twists you find to be the most masterful about the Mepholk?

No way am I changing the core idea of shifting. That's the very center core of the race.
    Agreed... but I believe that he just meant you should change the NAME, keeping all the crunch and everything but that one word of fluff the same, simply to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-07-09 at 04:34 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Tweaked the Pembunuh a teensy bit (okay a lot), and I have most of their Feats done. I dont liek the way Tak Tersentuh turned out but its almost 7 am, and work has me brain fried...
    Orcs and Goblins

14. - Top - End - #914
    Orc in the Playground

So that I may edit in even more of whatever you considered to be cool (as well as applying the lesson learned to future homebrews), may I ask what EXACT facets/themes/twists you find to be the most masterful about the Mepholk?
    As I said earlier, it's in the fluff. Mepholks are interesting. To visualise socially, as well as a people. It's an original race.

For Shadow's, it's because he got into the details and created a complete society of nosy-nosed aristocrats. And that's awesome.

EDIT: I forgot; Bhu, Multiweapon Defence should give the player +1 AC per weapon he wields over the first.
    Last edited by Guyr Adamantine; 2008-07-09 at 09:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

If an enlarged Bornura is fighting with two gem weapons, but doesn't have the feat to let them be separated, and is flanked (and thus parrying from two directions at once), then does he risk one of his weapons going *poof*?

If the supply of the gem is entirely bound up in their bodies... does that mean that pregnant mother have to eat the organs of another of their race (preferably after that member of their race died of natural causes... cannibalism of family is a lot more common historically than that of enemies I believe... although still a health hazard of huge proportions it IS morally acceptable, and the Bornura would even have a valid need to do so.)? Or do they each generate their own?

For the Pembunuh:
    Spider Grapple seems a bit weak compared to its prerequisite Improved Grapple... only a +2 bonus instead of +4? Then again perhaps a law of diminishing returns is appropriate to keep grapple checks from being automatic...

As I said earlier, it's in the fluff. Mepholks are interesting. To visualise socially, as well as a people. It's an original race.
    I know it is the Fluff (since you stated that to begin with), which parts of "socially" and "as a people" (both of which are part of "fluff") are you saying I have good points in?
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-07-09 at 04:41 PM.
    Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

If the supply of the gem is entirely bound up in their bodies... does that mean that pregnant mother have to eat the organs of another of their race (preferably after that member of their race died of natural causes... cannibalism of family is a lot more common historically than that of enemies I believe... although still a health hazard of huge proportions it IS morally acceptable, and the Bornura would even have a valid need to do so.)? Or do they each generate their own?
    Yes.

...seriously though, for that question, the nuralithis has worked itself into their genes (or something) and they produce their own. I've been thinking about adding a "natura or nuralithis" section to answer such questions.

For the first question, I have absolutely no idea.
    EDIT: Actually, I'm just a little confused by what you mean.

If an enlarged Bornura is fighting with two gem weapons, but doesn't have the feat to let them be separated, and is flanked (and thus parrying from two directions at once), then does he risk one of his weapons going *poof*?
    A bornura wouldn't be able to use two gem weapons, because without the feat, they could only be able to form one.
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2008-07-09 at 05:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

Added in a section regarding the unique properties of nuralithis, including its use as an optional spell component (and a sure way to infuriate/disgust any bornura NPC you encounter). Hanging out with adventuring buddies seems like a pretty good deal when your vital organs are worth ten times their weight in platinum (and that fact being pretty well known).
    Last edited by Lappy9000; 2008-07-09 at 05:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

A bornura wouldn't be able to use two gem weapons, because without the feat, they could only be able to form one.
    Ah, you must have fixed the error before I posted to point it out... orginally you had a limit that the weapons couldn't be more than 5' away from each-other without a separate feat.

Added in a section regarding the unique properties of nuralithis, including its use as an optional spell component (and a sure way to infuriate/disgust any bornura NPC you encounter). Hanging out with adventuring buddies seems like a pretty good deal when your vital organs are worth ten times their weight in platinum (and that fact being pretty well known).
    Just make sure that you keep it under 25,000 gp or you would have individuals willingly cycling themselve through True Resurrection for a share of the profits (provided the gods didn't object to this)... come to that, I could see a despirate enough one volenteering for death for a 50% share followed by Reincarnation (so (s)he can actually sleep at night without worrying about getting murdered in their sleep, as opposed to Ressurection which only gets a financially desperate individual a lot of money).
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-07-09 at 07:39 PM.
    Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #919
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Ah, you must have fixed the error before I posted to point it out... orginally you had a limit that the weapons couldn't be more than 5' away from each-other without a separate feat.
    Dracodei, you're mixing up the Xintri's Incarnum Weapons and the Bornura's Cristal Edges.

I know it is the Fluff (since you stated that to begin with), which parts of "socially" and "as a people" (both of which are part of "fluff") are you saying I have good points in?
    Stop! Right now! I mean its well written and original. No need to elaborate, I know that if I do its gonna be an extremely messed up post.

For your sanity, just accept the "they're well written and original" explanation.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, redirect that comment to the Xinitri then...

And sorry, I didn't realize I was nagging.

Edit:
    Just now noticed that Aqua Aura doesn't differentiate between friends and enemies... which makes trying to use the offensive version of it ESPECIALLY hard. Even more so since you specified doing so to be a Full-Round action action meaning you can't run across the line of battle and then change modes...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-07-09 at 11:27 PM.
    Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Just now noticed that Aqua Aura doesn't differentiate between friends and enemies... which makes trying to use the offensive version of it ESPECIALLY hard. Even more so since you specified doing so to be a Full-Round action action meaning you can't run across the line of battle and then change modes...
    Uh, yeah, thanks for that note. That ability made about as much sense as an electric sponge. Fixed, it.

22. - Top - End - #922

Ok, redirect that comment to the Xinitri then...
    Yes, the rules are specific and must be followed to the letter despite the circumstances. one would go poof if a Xintri was enlarged and he spread out both arms with a weapon in each. So all he has to do is avoid being enlarged.

Also, your question confuses me, since the fights would be turned based, he wouldn't be parrying against attacks on two sides at once... at least as far as I know. so the only way it could go poof is if he actually brought his hands apart on purpose. And it would instantly come back when he willed to to anyways... so...

but anyways... this is only an issue for an enlarged Xintri since the average Xintri's arm span is ~5' o.o;;; so I can only assume this question was born from morbid curiosity or something...
    Half-elves are like slinkies.
    They're not really good for anything,
    but you can't help laughing when they fall down the stairs.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

For the Pembunuh:
    Spider Grapple seems a bit weak compared to its prerequisite Improved Grapple... only a +2 bonus instead of +4? Then again perhaps a law of diminishing returns is appropriate to keep grapple checks from being automatic...

Well most Feats seem to give a static bonus, and they're already going to be decent hand to hand. The Grapple Bonus is to make up for the Strength penalty and such.

By the way for the Mepholk:

I haven't read through them yet, but if their skunk spray works like usual, you could give them a Feat called "Pantsless Intimidation"
    Orcs and Goblins

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

They are much too modest to do as you suggest EXACTLY... they wear kilts, skirts and dresses, and pants with the butt cut out and covered over with a sufficiently large piece of cloth tied in a slipknot in the front.... and yes the underware is absent or modified (hey, if nothing else easily changeable cloths rather than having to wash the entire pants every night is important for the ladies a few days a month... yes, I DID just go there, irrational of people to get intimidated by a natural process like that IMHO), but yes, "The Mooning of Extreme Warning" does exist. However, strangely enough, being armed doesn't actually give you a specific bonus to intimidation attempts in D&D...

I will however, probably be adding Intimidate to the class skills list for several classes for them.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2008-07-10 at 07:15 AM.
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Okay I finished or tweaked the Feats I had, and added a few more. Anyone think they're over the top?
    Orcs and Goblins

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

You need to fill out the crunch for multi-weapon pounce and multiweapon rend.

Other than that... hard to tell... some more "Normal" sections would help....
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #927

I'm at a writer's block here....

I can't think of any more feats or items to make, or any other ways to tweak my race...

28. - Top - End - #928
    Orc in the Playground

I can't think of any more feats or items to make, or any other ways to tweak my race...
    My suggestion: Work the fluff.

Not that its poor, I mean, with more elaborate details on their origins, habits, lifestyles and environment, you'll be able to come up with material adapted to the Ghostfolk.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, and don't forget to make an example individual of your race. Otherwise, I think your entry will count as incomplete.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, and don't forget to make an example individual of your race. Otherwise, I think your entry will count as incomplete.
    I agree its fine for the sake of completeness, but its nowhere in the rules.
    Spoiler
    Show