New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Other D&D-like RPGs

I know probably dozens of RPGs, but except for all its retro-clones, the only other games of adventurers in a fantasy world that I can think of are RuneQuest, The Dark Eye, and Dragon Age.
    Pretty much everything else that comes to mind is sci-fi or modern-day fantasy.

Any other games I should look into to broaden my horizon for planning fantasy campaigns?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Other D&D-like RPGs

I've heard good things about Dungeon World.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Never played it, but True20 looks good.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Warhammer fantasy RP
    Dragon warrior
    Ars Magica
    Burning wheel
    Talislanta
    Blue rose

Universal systems can do fantasy, things like GURPS or true 20, there was a supplement for mutanats and masterminds 2nd ed to do sword and sorcery.

I believe there was a series of books for the old world of darkness set during the dark ages

And then there is of course the lesser known settings for dnd like conan, thieves world, black company

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

your question is quite misleading: do you want D&D-like games, or Heroic Fantasy/Sword & Sorcery/similar genres games? because the answer will be quite different based on what you want.

anyway, assuming you mean Fantasy games:
    on top of those mentionned above:
    Legends of Anglerre
    Pendragon
    Artesia
    Riddle of Steel (good luck finding it, it's OOP)
    Earthdawn
    Tékumel
    Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2
    Barbarians of Lemuria
    On Mighty Thews
    Rolemaster
    HARP
    Anima
    Stormbringer/Elric
    The One Ring
    Ironclaws
    Palladium RPG
    REIGN
    Yggdrasil
    Keltia
    Shadows of Esteren

if you want to broaden a bit more:
    Qin
    Legends of the Wulin
    Weapons of the Gods

Plus all the various generic systems can do fantasy:
    GURPS (Fantasy and the Dungeon Fantasy line - aka GURPS Diablo)
    Savage Worlds
    Mutants and Masterminds
    HERO
    BESM (OOP)
    the BRP monograph can be used as is for fantasy
    there isn't to my knowledge a dedicated fantasy game using Unisystem, but it can be done very easily starting either from WitchCraft (Classic Unisystem) or Buffy/Angel (Cinematic Unisystem)

this from what comes to mind. I'll look at my collection of games to see if I can find other games (hopefully not OOP)
    Rules of Internet Spelling 101: (from someone on another forum)
    1. "your" and "you're" are interchangeable: use whichever suits your mood.
    2. other interchangeable sets include: its/it's, their/there/they're, and are/our.
    3. contractions are for the weak: never use "should've" when you can use "should of" instead.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

It really depends on what you're looking for. Since you say "Broaden your horizons for planning", I'd suggest looking at Earthdawn, which goes a long way to justify the buckets-o-magic style that is common in D&D. Conversely, I'd also look at MERP... many of the various races are quickly and completely sketched out, giving you some ideas for world creation.

If you can find them cheap, it's worth going through Rifts and Palladium Fantasy books to pull out the good ideas. There's usually a lot of them in there, but I seldom suggest using the whole setting (even if you're playing in those games).

Mechanically? Look at Hackmaster and Castles and Crusades. Hackmaster is complex and elegant; Castles and Crusades is elegant and simple. They're not perfect... HM is heavily slanted towards a certain style of play, and C&C's numbers are a touch off, IMO... but they're great systems for D&D-like play, and relatively compatible.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Hackmaster is complex and elegant;
    Would you elaborate on this, please? In my mind, the words "complex" and "elegant" never cross paths, unless emergent complexity is involved.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Would you elaborate on this, please? In my mind, the words "complex" and "elegant" never cross paths, unless emergent complexity is involved.
    In this case, it is that the rules fit together very well. Honor encourages role-playing while giving a concrete benefit to it. The purchase system for classes encourages certain tropes, without forbidding more exotic characters. The bonus BPs for keeping your character as-rolled works to discourage min/maxing of attributes, but the bonus BP themselves can be used to buy attributes.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Gonna second Dungeon World and Burning Wheel.

Also, 'In a Wicked Age', and 'Shadows of Yesterday'. Lamentations of the Flame Princess, I have no experience with, but I hear is good and harkens to D&D quite strongly, without it being a direct clone/adaptation/etc.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2013-01-06 at 11:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Also Exalted, and Dresden Files ('Urban Fantasy' is FANTASY, consarnit!)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

But I specifically excluded those.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

FantasyCraft is a more complex d20 clone that almost surprisingly, once you get a hang of it, all just seems to work to make every character powerful and interesting.

Iron Heroes, I'm not sure if it's counted as a full game more of a 3.5 hack with a more martial focus.

Warrior, Rogue, and Mage is a very simplistic system that was designed for D&D style fantasy, but honestly anyone half imaginative can use the system to do whatever they wanted. Also, it's free.

There are two games based off of the Song of Ice and Fire series. The second, and better one, is a bit less focused on the "let's go out and have an adventure in the wild" type games that D&D focuses on.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sailor_grenoble View Post
    Mutants and Masterminds
    Actually has a supplement called Warriors and Warlocks for a fantasy setting
    Long time reader and lurker turned poster

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Gonna second Dungeon World and Burning Wheel.

Also, 'In a Wicked Age', and 'Shadows of Yesterday'. Lamentations of the Flame Princess, I have no experience with, but I hear is good and harkens to D&D quite strongly, without it being a direct clone/adaptation/etc.
    I've played and enjoyed both Dungeon World and IAWA. One thing worth noting is that Dungeon World lends itself exceptionally well to Play-by-Post and IAWA can be problematic in that environment (in case this is at all a factor.)

Lamentations of the Flame Princess is most definitely an adaptation of OD&D. A reasonably heavily modified adaptation, but unquestionably based on it.

EDIT: To expand on the PbP thing: both DW and IAWA are systems that encourage player narrative. (That's part of what makes them enjoyable!) The PbP breakpoint comes, in my experience, from the fact that IAWA requires a lot of back-and-forth between players to negotiate the result of a conflict in many cases. It's a lot of fun in a face-to-face environment, but having one player go absent for a few hours or a couple of days can stall out a story in midstream.
    Last edited by Lapak; 2013-01-07 at 03:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    But I specifically excluded those.
    Fair enough on Dresden Files, but Exalted is very much not modern-day. More like post-apocalyspses (yes, plural) Iron Age.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I think the term for Exalted is "Bronze Age." It's very much about larger-than-life god-heroes, and (to a more subtle extent) magic returning to a world long deprived of it. You fight gods and make vast sweeping changes to the world from the very beginning-- sort of like starting at near-epic levels in D&D, but marginally more functional.

Dresden Files would actually work quite well for a medieval fantasy with very little work, to be honest-- change Driving to Riding and Guns to Bows and you're pretty much there. You could also ditch the White Council/Laws of Magic thing without too much trouble.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    It really depends on what you're looking for. Since you say "Broaden your horizons for planning", I'd suggest looking at Earthdawn, which goes a long way to justify the buckets-o-magic style that is common in D&D. Conversely, I'd also look at MERP... many of the various races are quickly and completely sketched out, giving you some ideas for world creation.
    Man, the culture and world details they pulled together.... and the greater setting details. The system can be a little heavy (RoleMaster lite, basically), but what they threw in here works nicely.

I'm gonna shill Mazes and Minotaurs, which skirts the topic be being an Alternate Universe Retro-clone. It's a little different mechanically, but not so much you couldn't adapt to it quickly. Alternately, it gives you some fun setting material for a Mythic Greek setting and its surrounds.

No Tunnels and Trolls? It's not on my recommend list, but the combat system makes an interesting comparison point.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's Rule of Cool's Legend system. It's in a sort of open beta right now, but I hear the first official version is coming soon. I'm doing a trial campaign with the current rules, and it's super cool so far, as the name suggests.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Iron Heroes, I'm not sure if it's counted as a full game more of a 3.5 hack with a more martial focus.
    As much as I enjoy Iron Heroes, I wouldn't really suggest it to somebody wanting to broaden their horizons, since it's pretty much just 3.5 with new classes to try and work off the fact that there's no (almost no, that is) magic anymore. I do like the token pool idea that pretty much every class works with, though.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.