New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default What would you play with all 18s at level 1?

The title covers the most important bit. You're playing a level 1 "Donner party" game and the DM is letting you start with all base 18s and masterwork gear. What would you start as and build towards? For extra giggles, you gain 2 attribute points every 4 levels instead of the standard 1.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: What would you play with all 18s at level 1?

Either Rogue, multi classing to Fighter later or Monk MCing to Sorcerer.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With all 18s to start, I'd probably play some kind of arcane gish. Those tend to need at least 4 high stats (all the physical ones + the casting stat). I'd avoid single classed casters, as those stats would be a waste.

And yes, I realize a caster would still be more powerful, but how often do you get to make your favorite MAD build with perfect starting stats?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm. I would start as a wizard for the simplicity of why my spellbook just sprung out of nowhere for free - gaining a level in wizard at level 2+ without a good amount of downtime makes no sense, or explains where you got the spellbook, the spells, etc, and while its fine with the rules, I don't want to make things weird.

Overall build would aim for Wizard/Fighter/Swiftblade (I think that's the right prestige class? The eldritch knight-ish style one focusing on haste and benefits when hasted like concealment, spell resistance, extra attacks and more attack/ac/reflex/move speed bonuses?) theme with a large two handed weapon, focusing on expeditious retreat (Early game) and jump, then haste at later levels, extended long term spells like bull's strength and cat's grace for long engagements, quickening spells like true strike, true shield, and keeping things like feather fall and nerveskitter handy. Late game spells would also focus on flight, water affinity/breathing, and anything helpful for crafting my own magic weapon.

If the dm does not let you just hold the two-handed weapon in one hand non-combatively to cast a spell with your other hand and thinks your hands are glued to your weapon 24/7, then there is a feat I believe called "Somatic Weapon" that allows you to use the weapons movements for spellcasting when your hands are full.

For other feats, craft wonderous item and craft magic arms and armor are essential, to later make items like gloves of the tactician for the gloves of storing benefit in both hands and the bonus to initiative, goggles of revealing for the true sight benefit against invisible or veiled enemies and traps, and belt of the commander (I think thats the name?) that grants 3 charges each day you can use for a move (1 charge), standard (2 charges), or full action (all 3 charges) during that day extra during one of your turns. Remember, swiftblade prestige class gives even more extra attacks during a full attack when under haste effects! Two full attack actions at level 6+ in the same turn under haste effects with a two handed weapon is devastating even to the toughest bosses. Other then that, stuff like blurring, magebane, and dancing on the weapon, a backup flanking weapon for the 2nd glove of tactician to store for surprises/backup, a cloak of shadows, and a ring of mind shielding would be preferred. Oh, and a twilight mithril chainshirt for protection with no obvious drawback, typically with spell resistance, elemental resistances, confidence (book of erotica fantasy, +2 charisma, adds charisma to will saves, for only a +1 armor enchant), and/or that enchantment from book of exalted deeds to make you immune to death spells/effects.

Considering you get the strength to hit, 1.5 damage with the two hander for damage, dex to reflex saves, initiative, jump, balance for mobility, the constitution for the health and saving throws and the concentration bonus (only useful for casters or diamond mind martial users, I believe), a large intelligence for bonus spells and spell dc's, wisdom for a high will save, and lastly the confidence enchantment on your armor makes your charisma become a bonus to your will save. You use every single stat in this build for a significant edge/protection. Hell, if your feeling spiteful to the dm, swap fighter with paladin and get the cha to all saves and to a smite attempt 1/day with a spellstoring weapon attack! You could even possibly fall to the dark side, exchange all paladin levels and roll with antipaladin just for the free sneak attack. Smite, Sneak, Spell, Charge Attack while hasted and flying and a quicken spell readied a good idea? I think so.

Oh: And for race, obviously a elf, so you can live long enough to reach the 10+ range without having to save the world even once. Edit: Or warforged, and kill chickens for a living for a few thousand years.
    Last edited by Jane_Smith; 2013-03-19 at 04:47 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

DruidGuy

Paladin or monk. Finally a solution for my MADness.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Wizard 2, Binder 1, Anima Mage 10, Incantrix 7, Gish.

That or some sort of Archivist Gish. Actually, if you could get the Divine adaptation of Anima Mage...

Suffice to say, it would offer you all the ludicrous power you want, while still being plenty MAD - that first character would rely on INT for wizard casting, CON and CHA for Binder abilities, and STR and DEX for AC/Hitting things. But, you'd also get cool things like enough free metamagic to drown in, and the nifty ability to cast any spell as an immediate actions.

I love Anima Mages.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

A "Donner Party" game? I'd play something that doesn't taste good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Beguiler. Or binder, maybe. You can find something on a binder for almost any ability score.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh, even better, Barbarian/Sorcerer/Rage Mage with Shout feats. Fus Ro Dah, anyone?

10. - Top - End - #10

Devil

A wild mage (or chaos mage, primalist, take your pick of magic-goes-crazy-and-anyone-can-benefit). Because with dice mojo like that, I'd be UNSTOPPABLE.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateWench

I would probably just play a paladin. I've always wanted to be a (somewhat good) paladin but never had the ability scores for it. So how boring it may sound, if I got all 18s then paladin it is!

Or maybe an elven Bladesinger. Maybe not the best choice but it would be interesting!

I guess I really suck at figuring out what to do with all 18s, it just never happened to me. :)

12. - Top - End - #12

ElfRogueGirl

A rogue or a bard most likely.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

You've left off all the information needed to design a character. What kind of world is it? Are there large cities? Is it a hunter/gatherer society? Feudal?

I never start designing a character with just stats.

So let's see.... the Stats don't lead anywhere. There's no background information.

I'd probably end up play Solitaire, in the next room. This D&D game hasn't offered me any fun hook.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Devil

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2013-03-22 at 01:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You've left off all the information needed to design a character. What kind of world is it? Are there large cities? Is it a hunter/gatherer society? Feudal?

I never start designing a character with just stats.
    That's not the problem, but there's too much information we don't have. What edition? What prestige classes are available? Etc.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

I agree with Lorsa. Definately a Captain Hammer-inspired Paladin who knows he's just darn good at everything.
    I'd love to tell you fantasy stories about gardening gnomes, banhammers, board games, trolls and wizards with Arcane Deficit Casting Disorder. Read my work at Amazon and Smashwords

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

All my characters in the AD&D Gold Box games had those stats...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Jay R; that sounds incredibly boring and obtuse;
    Insult received.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    You don't have to design the character from the stats.
    But that's the exact question in this thread. We are asked to design the character from the stats. "What would you play with all 18s at level 1?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd play the lottery because it's clearly my lucky day.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I’d play something with really bad MAD issues. Like a bard (favorite class anyway), ranger, monk or paladin.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well this is not a D&D only forum - it's a generic roleplaying forum so...

From a strictly roleplaying perspective, whatever I felt like playing at the time.

If you do want to be system specific then it depends on the system...
    For MERP/Rolemaster/Spacemaster I would retire the character instantly and generate a new one (in fact I think you get to automatically re-roll any stats that bad).
    For Traveller I prefer Scouts, though people would probably ask how I got stats over 12.
    For AD&D, I'm not sure, been a long time, - I'd probably go with my generic rp answer.
    For Metzner D&D either a cleric aiming at druid, or a halfling aiming at hin master I think.
    For 3/3.5 D&D I'd ask the DM about some of the more obscure classes (like Incarnum) and see what they would allow me to play.
    To be honest in a D20 or similar system such stats mean you can play whatever you want.

I really would look to move this to the D&D forum though

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Wizard. Venerable wizard. 21 Int before racial bonus and a positive con mod? Yes please.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

If PF, then this.

Maybe a warblade. Rogue and scout are tempting, but there's not enough use of those physical stats at high level when attacking.

Or an elf Bladesinger/Swiftblade.

Depending on the campaign, one of those three.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    I’d play something with really bad MAD issues. Like a bard (favorite class anyway), ranger, monk or paladin.
    How does a Bard have bad MAD issues? You just need high Charisma and probably want an alright Dex and Int. You want Con, sure, but no more than everyone wants Con. You only need one stat above fourteen.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Well this is not a D&D only forum - it's a generic roleplaying forum so...

From a strictly roleplaying perspective, whatever I felt like playing at the time.

If you do want to be system specific then it depends on the system...
    For MERP/Rolemaster/Spacemaster I would retire the character instantly and generate a new one (in fact I think you get to automatically re-roll any stats that bad).
    For Traveller I prefer Scouts, though people would probably ask how I got stats over 12.
    For AD&D, I'm not sure, been a long time, - I'd probably go with my generic rp answer.
    For Metzner D&D either a cleric aiming at druid, or a halfling aiming at hin master I think.
    For 3/3.5 D&D I'd ask the DM about some of the more obscure classes (like Incarnum) and see what they would allow me to play.
    To be honest in a D20 or similar system such stats mean you can play whatever you want.

I really would look to move this to the D&D forum though
    Exalted: I start with every stat at 18!?

FATE: I start with every stat at 18!?
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    How does a Bard have bad MAD issues? You just need high Charisma and probably want an alright Dex and Int. You want Con, sure, but no more than everyone wants Con. You only need one stat above fourteen.
    Well a whip tripper bard wants high str and dex too, for trip checks and AC.

I'd likewise be tempted to play a paladin or monk. Ooh, or how about a sorcerer/monk/enlightened fist? 5 way MAD on all but int, and int doesn't hurt.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Because I love random things, I might start randomly. :P

28. - Top - End - #28

Commoner.

The most AWESOME Commoner.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
    Commoner.

The most AWESOME Commoner.
    HP 8
    Init +4
    Spd 30ft.
    AC 16
    Shortspear +4 (thrown +4, 20ft.)
    1d6+6 (1d6+4)
    F+4, R+4, W+4
    Climb +8, Handle Animal +8, Jump +8, Listen +8, Ride +8, Spot +8, Swim +8, Hide +4, Move Silently +4
    Mounted Combat, Ride by Attack
    x6 shortspears, leather armor, Riding Dog w/leather barding, Light Warhorse w/leather barding

Not too shabby.

An elf would have a mighty composite longbow (+4), a longsword, and a spiked gauntlet.
    Last edited by Seharvepernfan; 2013-03-19 at 05:53 PM.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Exalted: I start with every stat at 18!?

FATE: I start with every stat at 18!?
    Our WoD players are going to go nuts over here...
    A few odds and ends.