New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #881 - The Discussion Thread

Damn it, Belkar. Why is it the only time I can ever stand your miserable psychopathic character is when you're taking the piss out of Roy? I want to just hate you in peace.
    Crackers don't matter.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wow...go Belkar.

Ummm...really not much else to say on this one. Well, aside from "Sunken Cost Fallacy," as mentioned, is a very bad reason to continue. That said, "Either we die on the front lines now, or get ganked once Xykon/LG gets access to the gate later" is a better reason to do what they can.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll just say this strip was great, and poor guys
    My Player Registry entry.
    Avatar made by Andraste, thanks lots!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Anyone else think that was the nicest thing anyone could have done for Roy? He really needed the kick in the pants.

Also: Does that sound like... regret coming from Belkar? That is kinda scary coming from him.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I was going to say the exact same thing myself. Still won't miss him when he dies, of course.

Spoiler
    Show
    -
    Thank you.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

The best thing about this strip is how the characters have real foibles. Moments of weakness to counter their moments of strength, emotional highs and lows. It's why this story stands out in the increasingly large crowd.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That was fantastic writing. Belkar was absolutely right. What he said was harsh, sure, but it was absolutely the right thing to do to keep things from utter collapse, and to keep Roy from sinking into a pit of despair.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

CAn we get a funny strip about puppies now? I think my heartstrings are strained to the maximum by this point and any more my heart will break.

I blame Cerberus, as did V. Not that it is bad (on the contrary is exceptional) but I need a good Tarquin laugh of Xykon being a lovable psycho a bit after all this Durkon bit.

Because we all make mistakes: The Mistakes of Life 5-0-1

GITP Fantasy Blood Bowl Cup - Season III

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting. Two complete comics presented as one? Impressive. Good comics, too. Things are looking Grimm for our fantastic foursome.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

And cooking, belkar. Do not forget about cooking.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofHellfire View Post
    1. The "Wisdom score that lemmings find laugh-worthy" thing was only what Vaarsuvius claimed was the case, and we know about Vaarsuvius' tendency towards overly verbose ways of describing things. In actual fact, while he's been bone-stupid in some arenas (taking a bit to figure out why he should agree to the prison terms of Azure city, for example), he's proven quite capable of both using his own actual past to come up with a lie (he said it "wasn't a bluff", but that's only half-true), and making a fairly well-reasoned argument as to why the Oracle was damn useless and killing him was fine.

2. He strikes me as a Wisdom 8. Generally slower on the uptake, but still capable of some insight now and then--especially when he's personally feeling the same exact sorts of emotions the subject of the pep talk is.
    This perhaps belongs in the class/level geekery thread but its blindingly obvious that Belkar's arguments in strip 568 and earlier were 1. decently logical but not profound and 2. totally inappropriate in the circumstances. That's the very example of decent intelligence and low wisdom.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Was Belker actually bitter about being there on those terms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Really solid writing. After I read it, I realized that the whole comic except for one panel is just the characters standing still against two shades of solid brown, yet the whole thing felt powerful and emotive to me.

Also interesting that Belkar seems to do this. Even before his "reform" he did the same kind of thing to Hinjo and seems to have a knack for getting to the heart of an issue when people are being wimps about it. It's like his one bit of wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine2 View Post
    Also: Does that sound like... regret coming from Belkar? That is kinda scary coming from him.
    Belkar doesn't look regretful in that last comic. More like a statement of fact, with maybe a hint of spite mixed in.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

I thought Belkar's speech was in line for him. I didn't hear much "reverse psychology" as straight warrior scorn.

I had to look up the sunken cost fallacy:

The idea of sunk costs is often employed when analyzing business decisions. A common example of a sunk cost for a business is the promotion of a brand name. This type of marketing incurs costs that cannot normally be recovered. It is not typically possible to later "demote" one's brand names in exchange for cash.
    Oh Wikipedia, you're so innocent.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Belkar: Demonstrating more insight into other people's character motivations than we thought. Still not sure if advocating continuing a suicide mission is demonstrating wisdom, though. Roy's plan to leave and focus on seeking more and stronger allies seemed the better one to me.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is the lowest Roy has ever been. I can't believe he was ready to pack it in and call it a day. And I can't believe that it was Belkar who snapped him out of it. Belkar is truly moving from fake character development to real character development. The old Belkar would never have said something so honest. He would have just pointlessly mocked Roy's emotional trauma. This new Belkar called him out on it. And admitted that he's a bad person.

And in other news, the team is back in "flying by the seat of our pants" mode. Which is kinda how they've dealt with most of their problems. Commentary by the Giant on well-laid plans, or coincidence? Knowing the Giant, probably the latter.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Man, Rich, you are an amazing writer.

"Hurting people is the only thing I'm good at"

Start another kickstarter so I can throw more money at you.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Ouch, right in the truth.
    Come on, Freshmouth.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Roy acknowledged that he's too clever to be held in any prison.

To me, Belkar's got an average+ intelligence. It's his Wisdom that's the problem. He can come up with good ideas, but he's also got a lot of bad but sociopathically fun-sounding ideas. Due to his wisdom, he's got difficulty filtering out the latter when it would bite him in the ass.
    Not going to quote everyone above as well, but those are all good points. Whether or not Belkar's intelligence is above average is hard to say, but he is capable of doing some clever things. Although this last comment reminded me of a line from a Pratchett novel (paraphrased): "He's not smart, but he's so cunning you wouldn't be able to tell!" I'd say this best describes Belkar's "brain-damaged" intelligence best.

20. - Top - End - #170

MindFlayer

Also, don't they have any consumables that can help Belkar? Roy might detest him and his speech but he's one of their last remaining assets

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by FolcoTook View Post
    Roy, I'm a spellcaster.

YOU DON'T COUNT!!

Poor Elan.
    I have a strong feeling that this is a plot point. The Order is going into the defenses of a paranoid illusionist, who expects to be betrayed by paladins and wizards and druids and such. Elan "doesn't count?" That may be important.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

22. - Top - End - #172

Is Elan crying on panel 2?
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

23. - Top - End - #173

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    Belkar: Demonstrating more insight into other people's character motivations than we thought. Still not sure if advocating continuing a suicide mission is demonstrating wisdom, though. Roy's plan to leave and focus on seeking more and stronger allies seemed the better one to me.
    The problem with it being the better plan is that, barring perhaps the two adventurers Durkon found in OtOotPCs - which may have been a one panel throwaway joke - and the possibility that Serini might still be alive somewhere, I'm not sure higher level good guys exist anywhere. The only one we knew of for certain (Miko) is dead and gone, and would never have worked with the Order anyhow. O-Chul seems to be a similar level, but he'd still need to work with the Order. He couldn't face all this on his own.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, don't they have any consumables that can help Belkar? Roy might detest him and his speech but he's one of their last remaining assets
    It would have to be a Scroll of Restoration or some kind of potion not exactly contained within the rules (a la Miko's Cure Critical Wounds). They're not guaranteed to have one, and even if they do, Roy's not exactly in a rational frame of mind right now. If they have something like that, it'll come up in the next strip or two. Otherwise, Belkar will continue to be useless.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Colossus in the Playground

Also, don't they have any consumables that can help Belkar?
    I don't get why people keep posting some variation on, "Why aren't they doing something for Belkar before they move on?" Please don't take this personally, snikrept, you're just the latest one to have posted.

They can't. Constitution drain is serious business. Restoration is a fourth level cleric or paladin spell. It is not something made in potion form without house-ruling. Despite what you may have heard about wands of Cure Wounds, adventuring parties do not normally consider a cleric an optional extra. Welcome to why.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

In the middle of his lecture rant, Belkar says, "Bring your sister, too," when suggesting hiding with Celia.

Was he being considerate of the welfare of Roy's family or creepy? He'd expressed possible interest in her before, at least when it came to deciding whether it was worth his time to help rescue her.

27. - Top - End - #177

RedWizardGuy

Code:
                           _______
      We're with you.   --/       \
                          |        |-- [Say nothing]
       Suck it up!      --\       /
                           -------
    Last edited by jaybird; 2013-03-22 at 11:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    I honestly can't say whether Belkar's doing harm or good.
    He's keeping the Order moving forward, that's what.

I find it most interesting when Belkar says "The get-the-hell-out-of-here part I can get behind", and if he had just kept his trap shut, thats PROBABLY what would have happened. But Belkar's "quictcher bitchin" speech instead convinced Roy to keep going.

Right now I'm wondering if this was intentional, intentional-but-subconcious, or just Belkar just not being able to see what actions his words would provoke. All three are probably plausible, and each might have at least one entirely different motivation behind it that could indicate any number of things.

Of course, the real question that I know where all wondering is, where the eff is V? If s/he is still in that tunnel, waiting for a zombie mummy to come munch his/er brains, s/he's gonna be waiting an awful long time (since Roy bisected most of them).
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2013-03-22 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

29. - Top - End - #179

Uh...huh.

Wow, great little Belkar moment there. Also, very happy that the Giant knows pacing; I'm dying to know what happens next after this one.

30. - Top - End - #180

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower View Post
    In the middle of his lecture rant, Belkar says, "Bring your sister, too," when suggesting hiding with Celia.

Was he being considerate of the welfare of Roy's family or creepy? He'd expressed possible interest in her before, at least when it came to deciding whether it was worth his time to help rescue her.
    It's a little subtle for Belkar, so I may be misreading - but he's reminding Roy that it's not just his life on the line if the world goes to hell, but the life of people he cares for more than anything.