Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (OOC)

Ok this is the "out-of character" (OOC) thread. This is for questions, comments, (friendly!) banter etc that is not "in-character". ie stuff that we talk about rather than the characters. I will try and keep all rules etc updated here so that we have somewhere to refer back to.

Party roster

Player Character Race Class(es) Gestalt Patron Deity
    Cavir Keston Turnok Human (Chondathan) Cloistered Cleric 3 / Human Paragon 2/ Dweomerkeeper 1 Wizard 1/ Human Paragon +1 Mystra
    DrK Kurnos Blackfoot Azurin (Human, Chondathan) Druid 4/ Totemist 1/ Totem Hierophant 1 Totemist +1/ Incarnate 1 Silvanus
    Battlemage Varian El'Djiran Spellscale Sorcerer 6 Paladin of Freedom 2 Hlal
    Razorback Kuln Feltin (Whisper) Gnome Rogue 4/ Cloistered Cleric 1/ Skullclan Hunter 1 Fighter 1/ Swordsage 1 Gond
    Chambers Jhaan Pesh Human (Calish-ite) Crusader 6 DFA 1/ Dragon Shaman 1 Tyr
    BelGareth Susebron Human (Illuskan) Hexblade 4/Fighter 2 Cleric 1/Bard 1 Jergal

Alternates

Spoiler
    Show
    Player Character Race Class(es) Gestalt Patron Deity
    bcool999 Cloudmapper Goliath Crusader 4 Psion (Nomad) 1 Goliath pantheon
    J-H Malcolm Human (Rashemi) Hexblade 5 Warlock 1
    Stegyre Fury Desert Kobold Warblade 4/ Totemist+1 Totemist 1

Retired player/ character roster

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Player | Character | Race | Class #1| Class #2
    Strudel|Flimflam Toejam |Rock Gnome | Rogue | Wizard
    laughing_boy| Vandill Rorikson |Human (Illuskan) |Monk |Barbarian
    Cavir|Flimflam Toejam |Rock Gnome | Rogue | Wizard
    Cognomen| Vandill Rorikson |Human (Illuskan) |Monk |Barbarian
    Mo_The_Hawked|Thoradin Stoneheart|Shield Dwarf| Cleric|Dwarven Paragon
    Mo_The_Hawked|Gard Sigars|Human (Ethnicity?)| Ranger|Beguiler
    NovaZulu|Revell Jypch|Human (Tethyrian) | Sorcerer | Beguiler
    NPC|Revell Jypch|Human (Tethyrian) | Sorcerer | Beguiler
    Cavir|Gard Sigars|Human (Ethnicity?)| Ranger|Beguiler
    Cognomen|Arahael Shaerendil |Half-(Moon) Elf|Paladin of Freedom |Sorcerer
    [/table]

Housekeeping

Spoiler
    Show
    1) I will make mistakes. If you think that I have made a mistake let me know so that I get it right next time. Don’t expect me to try and retrospectively fix an event that’s already occurred (unless it was significant).

2) Please try to post once every 48 hours, at least. This will keep things moving. Let the rest of us know if you’re going to be unable to post, and either I will run you as an NPC or you can nominate another player to run your character. If we don’t hear from you then I will post your actions for you. Feel free to give auto-pilot instructions if relevent (eg "Jack keeps attaching the goblin) If we haven't heard from you after 48 hours, and we have a quorum of players active & engaged (at least 4), then the others players will NPC you.

3) If we haven’t heard from you in a week, with no notice given, we’ll consider looking for a replacement.

Posting Format

Spoiler
    Show
    1) Could everybody please choose a colour for your character’s speech. I understand that this is done to make it clear to all what is spoken and by whom.

2) When posting a move, an attack, or another action please try to be crystal clear. Include any contingent rolls in your post. For example a basic post might read:

Thoradin advances on the ogre and attacks
    Free: Drop torch, yell "Feel my wrath!"
    Move: Draw warhammer, move N,N,NE,N (or H1, H2, I3, I4)
    Standard: Attack ogre in I5
    To hit (1d20)+4=result, Warhammer +4 (+2 str, +1 BAB, +1 WF)
    Damage (1d8)+2=result, (+2 str)
    - so post your full instructions and if you miss or are otherwise impeded we won’t all have to wait another day for the hit/miss dialogue in order to continue

3) Feel free to post if/ then contingent or held actions so you don’t miss an action eg if the ogre goes down my second attack is on the goblin

4) Handoffs: If you have an expectation of somebody acting immediately after you, or responding to you, then please indicate so. This will stop us all waiting for each other to act. eg for a DM response, end your comments with:

=> DM

5) Initiative/ saves: Basically I will roll anything reactive such as initiative, saving throws and certain skill checks. This will speed things up. Make sure you have your character sheet up-to-date.

Rules

Spoiler
    Show
    1) I am going to try and run this “by the rules” so we all know where we stand. There will no doubt be a bit of trial and error as we get used to this and work out how it operates best.

2) Please be careful with things like allowable actions (full actions, standard actions, etc) as per PHB pg 141

3) Make sure you have recorded any expensive material spell components

4) Action Points. You start with 5 Action points each (5 + 0.5*level, resetting each level, rounded down). You can use these to add 1d6 to any d20 roll that you make (or that I make for you) eg to-hit, saves, skill checks, ability checks etc. I will be lenient and suggest you do this in the following way:
    • you can use an action point when you make a roll
    • if using the action point was unnecessary (ie you made it anyway) you can keep the action point
    • if using the action point didn't help (eg you failed your save or attack roll) you can keep the action point

In particular I will always attempt to use an AP for you, if available, when rolling a saving throw for you.

From the SRD, You can also perform the following subset of AP uses:

• Boost Defense - use 1 AP to double the bonus gained from fighting defensively for 1 round
    • Extra attack - use 1 AP to get 1 extra attack when making a full attack
    • Spell Boost - use 1 AP to increase the Caster Level of a spell by +2,
    • Stable - use 1 AP to auto-stabilize if dying,
    • Combat Expertise - use 1 AP to double the AC bonus gained from the feat for 1 round
    • Dodge - use 1 AP to increase the AC bonus gained from the feat to +2 for the entire encounter (?)
    • Improved Critical - use 1 AP to double your critical threat range for 1 round,
    • Improved Initiative - use 1 AP to double the bonus gained from the feat for initiative check
    • Power Attack - use 1 AP to double your damage gained from the feat for 1 round
    • Spell Focus - use 1 AP to increase by 1 the bonus to save DCs from the feat for 1 round,
    • Spell Penetration - use 1 AP to double the bonus to caster level checks from the feat from +2 to +4 for the entire encounter,

And we have a few custom uses as well:

• use 1 AP to increase the Manifester Level of a power by +2
    • use 1 AP to augment a psionic power (in place of a Power Point)
    • can burn 2 or more to perform an extraordinary activity (at DM's discretion - propose something appropriate as you wish. For example you may seek for an extra standard action in order to save another party member from certain death).

We will monitor this and see how it works.

5) Level 1, and every fifth level thereafter (eg 1, 6, 11, 16, etc) is a free gestalt level for all PCs. Rules are here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...staltCharacter.

6) All 0-level spells (orisons & cantrips) are automatically known by a caster, and can be cast spontaneously. ie you still get x 0-level spells per day, but you don't need to worry about which ones to memorize.

7) Max hp for 1st level. Average hp for future levels.

8) Magic item crafting & XP costs. I think that we should use the L1 Transference spell detailed here to share XP costs. What do you think?

9) We will use the Giant's fix for Diplomacy.

The original recruitment & "Big Sixteen":
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    Hi all. I am GMing a game for a group of friends. We have space for one more player. Come & join us!

We are playing D&D 3.5, and are aiming to tackle the Age of Worms adventure path set in the Forgotten Realms (details, etc in the spoiler below).

We are all long-time D&D players, but this is our first experiment with play-by-post.

The Big 16:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Age of Worms adventure path adapted to Forgotten Realms

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4 (3 confirmed, looking for 1 more)

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Here - GitP forums. Please post all character sheets on Myth-Weavers.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard die rolls as per PHB

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No homebrew. Go crazy on anything else though.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All official FR races allowed. Ask me about other legit 3.5 races. No homebrew.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

4d6 drop lowest. Best of 2 sets (standard rules about dropping rubbish sets, PHB pg 8). Edit: If you don't like the rolls you can go with a 25 point buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Standard alignment rules, but you have to be broadly capable of being "the good guys".

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multi-classing is absolutely allowed. There are no XP penalties for multi-classing. Paladins, monks (& any others) can multi-class freely without restriction. No limit to # of classes that you can take. Alignment and other prerequisites still stand, unless you can convince me otherwise (so no paladin/ assassins).

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

All die rolls on the GitPs forums - either in the OOC forum or in spoilers in the IC forum please. I will roll initiative, saves and certain skill checks for you. Basically anything reactive I will roll in order to speed play up. You can do all of the proactive rolls for your character.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

- Level 1 (& only L1) is a free gestalt level for all PCs. Rules are here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...staltCharacter.

- All 0-level spells (orisons & cantrips) are automatically known by a caster, and can be cast spontaneously. ie you still get x 0-level spells per day, but you don't need to worry about which ones to memorize.

- Max hp for 1st level, best of 2 average for future levels.

- Ask me about racial level adjustments and ECLs if required.

- Action points: 5+ (0.5 x level), resetting each level. You can use these to add 1d6 to any 1d20 roll.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A basic background would be nice, just for some context. Don't go OTT.

All characters begin together (& known to each other) in the town of Daggerford, a small and relatively corrupt mining and farming village close (about 5 days walk) to the major metropolis Waterdeep. You are keen to leave the village and engage with the wider world out there. Adventuring is a path to achieve this.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

I anticipate mainly hack & slash. I don't expect (or want) you to write your own bardic songs and I don't care too much for your characters inner angst unless is is actually relevant.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Basically you can use any official 3.5 source for generic D&D setting & Forgotten Realms (ie no Eberron). Ask me if you want to do anything weird though (do you really want to mess with incarnum?). Remember that FR characters all get bonus equipment and access to special feats based on region of origin (as per Players Guide to Faerun).

Current roll of confirmed players and characters:

NovaZulu|Revell Jypch|Human (Tethyrian) | Sorcerer | Beguiler
    Strudel|Flimflam Toejam |Rock Gnome | Rogue | Wizard
    laughing_boy| Vandill Rorikson |Human (Illuskan) |Monk |Barbarian
    Mo_The_Hawked|Thoradin Stoneheart|Dwarf| Cleric|Dwarven Paragon
    [/table]

Current roll of applicants:

Ellye|?|?| ? |?
    Jopustopin|Kyra Siannoedel|Wild Elf|Cloistered Cleric |Warblade
    Mo_The_Hawked|Thoradin Stoneheart|Dwarf| Cleric|Dwarven Paragon
    Cranthis|?|?| ? |?
    00110111|?|?|? |?
    King Tius|?|(Lesser?) Aasimar|Knight |Favoured Soul
    Goby|?|?|? |?
    [/table]

Anything else? Let me know & I will update this post.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-09-03 at 07:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (OOC)

Just doing the housekeeping on the character sheets, one-by-one.

Revell is first:

1. Missing WP Shortbow
    2. Sorcerer 0-level spells – you know all of them as a custom rule
    3. Familiar
      Low-light vision, scent, improved evasion
      Initiative +2
      AC is 15/12/13 due to familiar’s +1 natural armour bonus
      Good info on familiars here
      Might pay to set up a separate character sheet for your familiar...
    4. The skills decipher script and disable device are unusable by you at the moment as they are "Trained only" and you have 0 ranks in them. Can you identify this somehow so I don't mistakenly think that you have them.
    5. You get +2 on ref saves when familiar is within 1 mile
    6. Benefits of Alertness feat (from familiar) not included (+2 Listen +2 Spot)
    7. Your coins weigh 0.5 pounds
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-04-06 at 09:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flimflam:

• I think your base saves should be 0/2/2 not 0/3/3?
    • Still need starting Feat
    • Missing rogue abilities (sneak attack, trapfinding)
    • Wizard 0-level spells – you can cast these spontaneously as a custom rule (no need to pick them each day)
    • Explorers outfit – First set of clothes weighs 0
    • Need your familiars stats. Again, it may pay to set up a separate character sheet. Good info on familiars here
    • The skills Handle animal, Knowledge (except arcana), profession, sleight of hand, tumble, UMD are unusable by you at the moment as they are "Trained only" and you have 0 ranks in them. Can you identify this somehow so I don't mistakenly think that you have them.
    • Your coins weigh 1 pound
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-04-06 at 09:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Thoradin:

• No game affect, but for completeness sake you are specifically a Shield Dwarf
    • I think your Warhammer s/be +5 to hit in melee, not +4 (+1 BAB, +2 Str, +1 MW, +1 WF)
    • Need Armour Check Penalties added in to skills
    • All skills currently marked as CC
    • Can you please indicate the skills which are “trained only skills”, so I don't mistakenly think that you have a skill available
    • Remember Domain Powers (cast Good and Craft spells at +1 CL)
    • Darkvision s/be 60ft not 30ft for a L1 dwarf
    • Stability - can you please note the +4 vs bullrush & trip somewhere (otherwise I will forget)
    • +1 to hit orcs & goblinoids
    • Did you remember to take bonus starting equipment (see PGtF pg 19)?
    • I guess you will also want to buy a holy symbol
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-04-06 at 08:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Vandill:

• Starting hp s/be 17 (12 base +2 con +3 toughness)
    • Unarmed damage s/be 1d6+3 not 1d6+2
    • Quartestaff – damage s/be 1d6+3 not 1d6+2 for primary attack. If you are using this as a double weapon you will suffer a -4/-8 to hit penalty & the off-hand attack will be at 1d6+1 damage (half str bonus)
    • Initiative should be +6 (+2 dex +4 improved init)
    • Starting equipment still to go
    • Can you please indicate the skills which are “trained only skills”, so I don't mistakenly think that you have a skill available

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

kk

char sheet updated as requested excepting

1. Still have the 0 sorc spells listed .. would prefer to keep them on char sheet so i know i have them till i become more familiar if poss
    2. Sepearte sheet for whittaker ... will do just haven't done yet

I would like blue for Rev speech if possible :D

SOP Items

1. Low Hp and bad AC ... recon Rev should be 3rd of 4 in single file party order, and 2nd or 3rd rank when double column.
    2. Whittaker normally riding on Rev's shoudler (in side our outside Coat dep on weather)
    3. In a fight Whittaker will run (back along the parties route) and hide if possible ... preferably up a tree or down a hole or in a cupboard.
    4. Rev wil use an action point to improve his combat initiative roll until further notice (added 9/4/13)
    5. Rev will cast nerveskitter (SpC p.146) on himself for iniative rolls (added 13/4/13)
    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-04-13 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added SOP 4.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NovaZulu View Post
    char sheet updated as requested excepting
    Great, thanks. I reckon put your +2 Ref save bonus in as a Misc Mod or a Temp Mod on the table otherwise one or both of us will forget. Likewise add the +2 Listen/ +2 Spot in as a Misc Mod or we will forget. This assumes that Whittaker is generally within 5ft of you, which it sounds like will be 99% of the time.

In a fight Whittaker will run ... and hide if possible
    Okay so in a fight I will roll initiative for Whittaker normally and on his go I will automatically have him flee unless I hear otherwise from you first. This will speed it all up so we are not waiting on you to take Whittaker's action. We will assume he never rejoins a combat unless you instruct.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thoradin:

• No game affect, but for completeness sake you are specifically a Shield Dwarf
    • I think your Warhammer s/be +5 to hit in melee, not +4 (+1 BAB, +2 Str, +1 MW, +1 WF)
    • Need Armour Check Penalties added in to skills
    • All skills currently marked as CC
    • Remember Domain Powers (cast Good and Craft spells at +1 CL)
    • Darkvision s/be 60ft not 30ft for a L1 dwarf
    • Stability - can you please note the +4 vs bullrush & trip somewhere (otherwise I will forget)
    • +1 to hit orcs & goblinoids
    • Did you remember to take bonus starting equipment (see PGtF pg 19)?
    • I guess you will also want to buy a holy symbol
    Okie dokie, Forgot the holy symbol, Masterwork Warhammer from being from the Spine of the World.

Going with Sienna for Thoradin. I imagin he'll be in the front of any marching order, so we will never sneak up on anyone.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

You (Vandill) do have a chat to a heavily intoxicated miner who seems to want to share his interesting news "Somebody’s moved into the Old Observatory. I saw a crew of Balabar Smenk’s boys hauling all kinds of unusual contraptions and gear from a carriage parked outside the building. Heavy cloth sheets covered just about everything, but I could have sworn that some of the things they unloaded were huge glass tanks.". He throws up & is kicked out.
    How does the Observatory relate to the W. Cairn and Mine? Are they close/are the chars at risk of being ambushed or is the observatory an issue for another day? :D

Knowledge (local Waterdeep): (1d20+6)[18] incase you need a roll from Rev to know something.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

How does the Observatory relate to the W. Cairn and Mine? Are they close/are the chars at risk of being ambushed or is the observatory an issue for another day? :D
    There is an old observatory on a bluff overlooking another abandoned mine about 5 minutes out of Daggerford. It was built by a sect of astrologer monks, but has not been occupied for many decades. It is not en route or related to the Whispering Cairn, merely an interesting snippet that you picked up.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Vandill:

• Starting hp s/be 17 (12 base +2 con +3 toughness)
    • Unarmed damage s/be 1d6+3 not 1d6+2
    • Quartestaff – damage s/be 1d6+3 not 1d6+2 for primary attack. If you are using this as a double weapon you will suffer a -4/-8 to hit penalty & the off-hand attack will be at 1d6+1 damage (half str bonus)
    • Initiative should be +6 (+2 dex +4 improved init)
    • Starting equipment still to go
    Cant find a handy list of which skills can be used untrained. Sad that mythweavers doesn't include that by default.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah so here's a thing ... I noticed when previewing a post before submisison it turns all your rolls into [roll0], [roll1] etc and when you post it doesn't seem to calculate them?

Not sure if there is anyway to change this behaviour or if i am just doing something wrong but i see some of Laughing_Boys post doing the same thing?

So for now I have to remeber to check my /roll syntax after I preview and before I post? PITA but the only solution i have found so far.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah so here's a thing ... I noticed when previewing a post before submisison it turns all your rolls into [roll0], [roll1] etc and when you post it doesn't seem to calculate them?

Not sure if there is anyway to change this behaviour or if i am just doing something wrong but i see some of Laughing_Boys post doing the same thing?

So for now I have to remeber to check my /roll syntax after I preview and before I post? PITA but the only solution i have found so far.
    Yeah I'm not sure either. I'm sure I will hit this problem too. I think Mo is the guru among us, as the only one of us who has used these forums before

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by laughing_boy View Post
    Cant find a handy list of which skills can be used untrained. Sad that mythweavers doesn't include that by default.
    PHB pg 63

your problem ones will be

decipher script
    disable device
    knowledge (except arcana & religion)
    open lock
    sleight of hand
    spellcraft
    use magic device

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you type in your rolls then hit preview post it negates them, as so you couldn't say roll low then delete it and roll again.

I believe if type in your after your preview then they work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d356)[51]

Also, it appears that my thread subscription for the IC didn't go through the first time.
    Last edited by Mo_the_Hawked; 2013-04-08 at 09:38 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_the_Hawked View Post
    it appears that my thread subscription for the IC didn't go through the first time.
    No problem. Was wondering why you were active on the OOC thread but ignoring the actual adventure!

For the whole party:

• I have made some assumptions re marching order. Check out the map (soon to be posted) and let me know any amendments.
    • It will help me to have anything that is carried in your hands clearly updated on your character sheet if you can (eg any weapons or light sources held, etc). Just for clarity. I can see that Thoradin has his warhammer & shield out. Rev is presumably holding the only light source and Vandill is possibly clutching a quarterstaff...

For Strudel, is Chesdale's SOP in combat to stay in your pocket/ pouch and take no action? Just want to make sure we don't wait for Ches to act if (s)he isn't going to. I guess this'll need a bit of trial and error.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

kk have added R. Hand and L. Hand in the equipment section on Rev's char sheet. Currently empty/light stone

For Rev SOP can I please add an action point to the combat initiative roll (since i won't be able to add after you make the roles). Will review weather Rev keeps doing this once i get a feel for how dangerous combat is :D.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

For Rev SOP can I please add an action point to the combat initiative roll
    Noted - yeah we'll see how this goes in pbp

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, it's all or nothing with delay. Rev's initiative resets to 11.
    Yeah nps, makes zero difference in this case. Worked out later the correct sequence for this would have been as below yes?

Move Action: to BN14 (BM11,BM12,BM13,BN14 =20ft)
    Free Action: Drop the light stone and speak
    Delay/Hold action to initiative count 11 (=to wolf3)
    Standard Action: Start Full round action, cast Sleep centered so as to get as many wolves as possible

Standard Action: Ready Action (condition: 3 wolves come into view) Start Full round action, cast Sleep centered so as to get as many wolves as possible.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Whoops - I thought I could draw a weapon as part of a move action and assumed the first bolt in a crossbow would be loaded when in a dangerous area - didn't think I had to worry about reloading until after the first shot. Noted for the future. (I've never actually used a crossbow before so its all a bit new)

Chesdale will always stay in my pocket unless specifically mentioned (eg it's a fireball toting Mage, run Chesdale run!)
    Last edited by Strudel; 2013-04-10 at 05:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah nps, makes zero difference in this case. Worked out later the correct sequence for this would have been as below yes?
    Yes, I think this looks correct. Game effect will be the same in this instance I suspect.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
    I thought I could draw a weapon as part of a move action.
    Yeah, only if your BAB is not +0. Sucks to be level 1!

assumed the first bolt in a crossbow would be loaded when in a dangerous area - didn't think I had to worry about reloading until after the first shot.
    I think it's fair to say a crossbow is loaded if you are holding it. If it's slung, and you have to draw it, I would assume it is not loaded (I could see a slung loaded xbow going badly wrong!)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pretty sure slung loaded crossbow was how uncle Joe became aunty Jo :)

On the other hand a cranked but unloaded xbow could presumably be safely slung? Then you would just slot in the bolt like nocking an arrow to a bow presumably more quickly than having to crank the thing?

Not sure on this at all ... just enquiring out of interest really.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Whoops I have mucked up the effect of your light source on this combat. I was tying to be too tricky. Van & the wolves are actually around the corner in the dark...oh well, I'll get it right next time.

Nova, might pay for Rev to hold on to the light if he is moving up to the corner to cast. That would light up the area.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

re light

yeppers i think the sequence was move to BN14, then drop the light, then cast. So the light source would be in square BN14 on the ground I think. That one sort of 'self-corrected' :D.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Soz crossed with Ghost above ... ignore plox
    yeah, sorry about that. Ignored my own instructions. That'll teach me - won't do that again in a hurry.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Since I seem to be pedantically bringing up rules (figure it's better to flush it all out now):

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_the_Hawked View Post
    Thoradin

Move: Four squares, 20 feet from BL15 to BH15.
    Standard: Cast Bless
    So Bless has a somatic component and thus needs a free hand to cast.

If you start the round with hammer & shield in hand, then to cast & move you would need to drop your hammer (free action) to have a free hand. If you cast but stayed immobile you could "sheathe" your hammer or loose your shield (both are move actions).

If we pretend that you started the round with your hammer slung and a hand free then you could legitimately do the following sequence (I think):

Standard: Cast Bless
    Move: Four squares, 20 feet from BL15 to BH15 and draw weapon (since BAB is +1 or greater).

So your actions are all allowed this round, just need to be careful in the future. I will wager it ends up being my poor monsters that end up getting caught by this.

28. - Top - End - #28

Re: Summon Monster - I made sure I checked this before I cast, and it's:

"This spell summons an extraplanar creature (typically an outsider, elemental, or magical beast native to another plane). It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn."

I don't think there's a delay.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Re: Summon Monster - I made sure I checked this before I cast, and it's:

"This spell summons an extraplanar creature (typically an outsider, elemental, or magical beast native to another plane). It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn."

I don't think there's a delay.
    Yeah, the issue is with laying the "Casting time: 1 round" requirement on top of this (poorly-worded) explanation. This means that the spell takes effect in the following round, just before the casters action, at which point the creature appears and then finally "acts immediately". This is consistent with how it's treated in the forums (see for example the Summoning Handbook) with respect to Rapid Spell and other feats/ abilities that let you cast it as a standard action being desirable enhancements for a specialist-summoner.

30. - Top - End - #30

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugghhhh stupid rules. Okay. Noted for future reference.