New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D Monster Review: Mind Flayer

I wrote a review of the Mind Flayer, comparing the different ways it was interpreted in different editions of D&D.

http://ultimatejosha.blogspot.ca/201...nd-flayer.html

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Monster Review: Mind Flayer

Nice. Nothing of import to add, other than I enjoyed the comparisons!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2013-04-07 at 06:51 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGirl

Oddly, this monster is unavailable on d20srd.com. On that sorta-related note, I don't like the 3.X art. It looks way too awkward.

I like to imagine that their brains greatly enlarge after death and grow tentacles.

I heard that Complete Psionics offers a background where your character is a descendant of Mind Flayers - despite their asexual reproduction. Just one reason why it's hated.

I also heard that there's a section in Book of Exalted Deeds that features someone redeeming a Mind Flayer. ...That is awesome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus753 View Post
    Oddly, this monster is unavailable on d20srd.com.
    It's because of the ferocity of PRODUCT IDENTITY.

(Mind flayers squid thingies, yuan-ti, beholders, and one or two other monsters are non-OGL, since they're iconic to D&D the brand. The more you know!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Those "Illithid-descended" feats are much cooler when you consider the fact that since the Illithids came from the future, you can refluff the feats so that rather than being their descendants you are actually one of the ancient ancestors of the future Illithid civilization.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfPirate

I'm a little disappointed not to see d20 Modern's take on the Mind Flayers. It doesn't add much in the way of background (the Agents of PSI campaign plays on the contradictory backstories by suggesting the Illithids are providing their own misinformation, and may simply be genetic experiments gone wrong) but it does have some nice pictures:
    http://www.wizards.com/d20modern/ima..._088190_91.jpg
    http://www.wizards.com/d20modern/ima...lery/50022.jpg

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really like the first one, but that second one is absolutely amazing.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus753 View Post
    I heard that Complete Psionics offers a background where your character is a descendant of Mind Flayers - despite their asexual reproduction. Just one reason why it's hated.
    Funny thing, I actually think I've found an explanation for that in-canon. You see, in the "Underdark" book, they had a "Half-Illithid" template they said was caused by Mind-Flayers magically interfering in the reproduction process of other creatures. I'm guessing the descendants of those creatures are where that class comes from.

But what bugs me about the Reformed Illithid from the BoED is that they never explain how she eats. They could've said "She eats only the brains of the wicked" or "She uses a magic item that allows you to go without eating", but nope. In fact, I believe they explicitly ruled out the possibility of the former by giving her a feat representing vow never to kill. Now that's what I call a dodge of moral quandaries!

OP, your article was great, but on the 4e lore, you forgot one very important, very awesome detail. The origin of the Mind-Flayers in 4e, instead of the 3e version of them being from the distant future come back to ruin everything (Which you also forgot), was that there was this giant brain monster that emerged in the Underdark (Which has unpleasant links to the Far Realm in 4e, with implications that all of reality was built atop said Far Realm), and when that thing died, the parasites infesting it became the first mind flayers.

And, funny thing about Thoon, I whipped up my own version of him as an Elder Evil for my own campaign setting Dungeonworld. What do you think of it?
    Last edited by tbok1992; 2013-04-07 at 10:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    Funny thing, I actually think I've found an explanation for that in-canon. You see, in the "Underdark" book, they had a "Half-Illithid" template they said was caused by Mind-Flayers magically interfering in the reproduction process of other creatures. I'm guessing the descendants of those creatures are where that class comes from.

But what bugs me about the Reformed Illithid from the BoED is that they never explain how she eats. They could've said "She eats only the brains of the wicked" or "She uses a magic item that allows you to go without eating", but nope. In fact, I believe they explicitly ruled out the possibility of the former by giving her a feat representing vow never to kill. Now that's what I call a dodge of moral quandaries!

OP, your article was great, but on the 4e lore, you forgot one very important, very awesome detail. The origin of the Mind-Flayers in 4e, instead of the 3e version of them being from the distant future come back to ruin everything (Which you also forgot), was that there was this giant brain monster that emerged in the Underdark (Which has unpleasant links to the Far Realm in 4e, with implications that all of reality was built atop said Far Realm), and when that thing died, the parasites infesting it became the first mind flayers.

And, funny thing about Thoon, I whipped up my own version of him as an Elder Evil for my own campaign setting Dungeonworld. What do you think of it?
    Thanks for pointing those things out. I had indeed missed the Fourth Edition origin story, and had forgotten about the Third Edition one. I will probably edit the post tomorrow, when I'm less tired.

I have been half-following your Dungeonworld thing for a while now. I think its great. Your interpretation of Thoon is both whimsical and chilling - exactly how it should be. It would make a fun adventure.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    Is there anything specifically stopping them from eating the brains of non-sentient creatures? For that matter, although they have the power to instantly remove a creatures brain, do they actually need to eat only brains?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    Is there anything specifically stopping them from eating the brains of non-sentient creatures? For that matter, although they have the power to instantly remove a creatures brain, do they actually need to eat only brains?
    If I remember Lords of Madness correctly, they eat normal food for physical nourishment but eat brains for psychic nourishment. I'd guess that it does indeed have to be from intelligent creatures, but don't quite recall if they said. They can go a long time without brain-eating if necessary, but it's one of the only things they find enjoyable.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    If I remember Lords of Madness correctly, they eat normal food for physical nourishment but eat brains for psychic nourishment. I'd guess that it does indeed have to be from intelligent creatures, but don't quite recall if they said. They can go a long time without brain-eating if necessary, but it's one of the only things they find enjoyable.
    Well, they remember everything the person did right? She could probably do a brisk business in the brains of people who want to live forever or want to further magical/psionic studies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Mindflayers as aliens was always my favorite go-to concept.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

From what I remember of Lords of Madness, they ate only brains, but only needed to eat once a week.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

There are also SpellJammer Mind-Flayers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I swore in LoM, it stated something about them being able to break down Psionic Sustenance through sources non-brain related, but that brains were the most efficient means of metabolizing it.

I'll break out my copy and check in a minute, but I swore there was something akin to that.
    So they could go on, in theory, without brains for a long time, but it's not as fulfilling or efficient.

I'll edit my findings in here later
    Check out the Hansbachman Blog, it's a cure for all of your ills!
    It's Grade A, Top Notch, and One of a Kind!
    All natural, Backwards Compatible and Moving Forward with the times.
    We're off-brand, off-tempo, and on point, with an ear to the ground, finger on the pulse, and hand on the trigger.
    We're on the beat like Ginsberg, hyper-aware and hyper-active.
    Running on multi-actuated heavy duty pistons with a pistol grip.

Thanks to Dashwood for the Extravagant Avatar

17. - Top - End - #17

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ExtravagantEvil View Post
    So they could go on, in theory, without brains for a long time, but it's not as fulfilling or efficient.
    So, it's like vegetarianism?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The reminds me, are mind flayers any different in Eberron? I've never played in that setting in pen and paper format but I did play one video game in that setting. Mind flayers were kind of weak when you faced them in underground dungeons.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    The reminds me, are mind flayers any different in Eberron? I've never played in that setting in pen and paper format but I did play one video game in that setting. Mind flayers were kind of weak when you faced them in underground dungeons.
    Eberron mindflayers came over with the invasion of the Dalkyrs. They are the primary instigators of the dalkyr plans (with the dalkyr often bothering a lot less than the mindflayers to push things forward). Official material does not mention elder brains at all I think, nor discuss illithid reproduction.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2013-04-08 at 09:25 PM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Eberron mindflayers came over with the invasion of the Dalkyrs. They are the primary instigators of the dalkyr plans (with the dalkyr often bothering a lot less than the mindflayers to push things forward). Official material does not mention elder brains at all I think, nor discuss illithid reproduction.
    It doesn't, although an Elder Brain could very well be a daelkyr lord. The implication is that mind flayers are directly spawned by the daelkyr from other creatures in Khyber much like the tadpole implant idea, or created whole cloth as a fully grown creature.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Both of these have been interesting... please keep it up.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

nice reviews. a few ideas:
    - the mind flayer's lore (and quite a bit of it's best art) comes from the supplement Lords Of Madness. might be worth a look.
    - It would be cool if you looked into hobgoblins and bugbears as well, since you've looked into goblins. the 3 races are supposed to be related (at least in some editions), though there is little lore on how the 3 interact (I think there is one source book, but it's 3rd party, and i don't remember it's name)
    - trolls, ogres and ogre mages are also quite iconic. would love to see how they changed through the ages.
    - I'd love to see a work up on gargoyles. If my (hazy) memory serves me right, they were constructs in earlier editions?
    - on a more supernatural venue- the Efreet and Djinn are a curiousity of mine.

anyway, nice work, quite interesting reviews!

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I stick with Bruce Cordell's 'Illithiad' as the starting point for anything illithid related. It's where much of the accepted lore in 3E was taken from, and is generally much cooler. Especially when you start figuring in Penumbra from the illithid adventure trilogy.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Love your blog!

I disagree about 2nd edition ones being "silly". They were less edgy and comic-like, and when I was a child they weren't that appealing to me - but today many 2nd edition drawing look more unique and inspiring to me, while 3rd edition monsters too often look like anything else I've already seem in comics or movies...

The 2nd edition illithids, for example, had a very interesting clothing and posture. They really seem to have an alien culture, where somehow their dress and hat are supposed to make sense. 3rd edition illithid is just screaming "eeevil! Look how I'm evil!" in his clothing, posture, etc.
    bock!

25. - Top - End - #25

ElfWarriorGuy

frown Re: D&D Monster Review: Mind Flayer

In 3.5 D&D I once had an encounter with a party of adventurers that had to face a mind flayer. It caused some of the adventurers to fall unconscious with its brain wave attack. It attempted to eat the brain of one of the unconscious adventurers, but it never got the chance before it got hacked down. :(
    Show mercy, and you will be shown mercy.

"To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage."
    -Yoshimitsu

"Your life is not your own."
    -Some Guy

Death will come to us all eventually

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Also this is a nitpick but your 3rd edition picture is from the 3.5 monster manual. The 3.0 one had a different picture.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Again: Spelljammer Also has good pics:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Again: Spelljammer Also has good pics:

Spoiler
    Show
    I remember it coming up about one of the artist for Spelljammer wanting to do a mindflayer with a lasergun or something along thoes lines
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't