New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #883 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
    There's a story behind that, isn't it?
    Yeah, it involves my 2E 10th level necromancer and telefragging.

Because **** limb removal.
    Last edited by delroland; 2013-04-09 at 07:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrahim View Post
    It's possible that the D&D world isn't that old and everyone is not actually related to everyone else.
    Well, there goes my idea that the entire Stickverse secretly took place in Arkansas.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

3. - Top - End - #183

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Well, there goes my idea that the entire Stickverse secretly took place in Arkansas.
    That would explain the banjo.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Oh please how powerful can fiends be if they're summoned with a poof? And they'll be lead by Nale of all people. The Order's fine. But what is the mighty Tarquin searching for? To be continued...
    Last edited by Chessgeek; 2013-04-09 at 07:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Blackwing wins the award for most unhelpful help by a pet or familiar. Congratulations.

I see a certain odd genre blindness in Tarquin here. I wonder if he's setting Nale up to fail intentionally, or if his concern for his family and legacy is actually causing him to miss the setup where he has everything in hand and then it all goes around as soon as he relinquishes personal control.
    Tarquin is certainly planning something. What did he do before leaving the Empire?. I have thinking on this, but the only think I can imagine is calling his pals. And it does not quite fit.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Yup, that is my take. Althought no doubt Haerta was happy to see it used on a dragon.
    To put it in simle terms for people. lets assume draketooth himself was alive at the time and it was cast on him instead. It would still have taken out the Black Dragon's in the fashion it did, but if Draketooths parents where dead then, (unless the cousins have been getting in each others pants, not something I'd discount totally), his siblings and their children are safe.

Kind of ironic that said cousins possibility aside casting it on a random draketooth would have done V's task just as well, but caused much less collateral.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Soo... Is it time for IFCC to cash in V's soul time debt? I actually thought that this will happen already in this strip, when I first read the comic title - Fiend Swap (Fiends as in IFCC). The fact that the comic ended with V and Qarr only supports this :-)

/**
    (Also, I'm quite surprised that there's already 6 pages of comments and this hasn't been predicted yet)
    */
    Edit: nevermind, I missed that it was mentioned already page one
    Last edited by gorocz; 2013-04-10 at 07:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock Zipporah View Post
    Hmm, now that you mention it, they HAVEN'T been seen in the same place at the same time! Tarquin will no doubt be captured, at which point Elan will pull off his rubber mask and reveal that it was Old Man Hinjo who was behind the haunted amusement park!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Belucard avatar by me.

Older sig quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    Let's not let a little thing like facts get in the way of interpretations.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whoops, left Kilkil out of Panel #4. Fixed now.
    QUICK get the url to the uncorrected webpage

it's gonna be a million-dollar collectible!

Just DON'T OPEN IT so it stays mint

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    So... whatever Tarquin's up to, it is something that requires Kilkil? I wonder what that could be?
    Hmmm, my epiplectic tree sense is now formulating wild theories that Tarquin knows that Team Evil is coming, and is off to try to forge a treaty with them ...

Quote Originally Posted by nogall View Post
    1) Durkon lost his accent?
    Interesting. That, I did not expect.

2) Quarr was maybe sent by the fiends to talk V to go back to the order, so that the Linear Guild wouldn't win right away...?
    This was my main thought after this strip too, except ... I don't think they're most concerned about the Linear Guild winning. No, it's more ominous than that. They want to ultimately take control of the Gate themselves. They need to have someone they can take magical of control of in the fight for the Gates, regardless of who they're hoping will win that fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Needle View Post
    So Qarr will be the one heading V to the party? That smells pretty bad
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Two things:2. If V *is* history's worst mass murderer,
    I highly doubt it. Haerta aside, there have been a LOT of bad dudes in the world's history. I mean, Gananron (Haerta's LE/Conjurer counterpart) led wars to conquer dozens of worlds. And the Snarl ostensibly devoured a whole planet.

The "worse mass murderer" is pure trash talk. I doubt Qarr even knows enough History to make it a meaningful factual statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad30 View Post
    decendants.
    No, ABD actually said explicitly that she only had one descendant, and only until he fought V and got disintegrated. "Ancestors" was, in fact, the correct word. (As other people have been re-iterating in this thread, Familicide doesn't care about whether creatures are still living when it determines primary targets; only when it determines secondary targets.)

I don't really see Nale's insult being towards z, more than Q'arr. Z may still take it personally, though.
    I think Nale and Z have a deeper relationship than one insult can undo, even if Z does in fact have a sentimental attachment to Qarr. After all, they've been together back since Nale's Western Continent days.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Oh, Blackwing. I think that might possibly be the WORST possible retort, given the circumstances.
    Yeah. It may be funny, but this punch line certainly did nothing to raise my opinion of Blackwing's mental acuity.

You know, you're right. I have gone too far this time. I'll stop making new strips now. Everyone, go home. The comic is over. My bad, I went too far.

Tell you what, you read the vampire template entry, particularly the part where it explicitly says that vampire clerics can still cast spells just with different domain access, and you tell me where it says anything about gods or temporary loss of access there. It doesn't. Vampire clerics do not need to worship a god to cast spells, because NO cleric needs a god to cast spells. The rules specifically allow for "non-theistic" clerics, and explains exactly what the effects of turning into a vampire has on a cleric: Rebuke instead of Turn, different domains. Period.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.
    Oh snap, I think someone awakened a sleeping Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by VanaGalen View Post
    - he includes himself in that number (he has some sorcerer levels, but it's a stretch imo)
    Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    He's clearly counting himself as a caster. The stupidity and misplaced confidence of doing so fits perfectly with his outlook.
    Exactly.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Technically if Durkon could have lost all of his spells by being an ex-Cleric of Thor:

However it could easily be handwaived away by saying Durkon rejected Thor when he arose and is currently a Generic Vampire Cleric and thus didn't lose any perpared spells (with them being 'transferred' to a seperate divine bank account as it were).

Is it a bit of a handwave? Perhaps. But that's easily within the realm of DM Fiat (i.e. making their game/story run smoothly).
    Technically he never became an ex-Cleric. He didn't violate anything by simply dying, and by the time he switched allegiances, it was too late for Thor to do anything about it. (Assuming he even did switch allegiances. Dorkula is pretty clearly not the same entity as Durkon as we can see by the accent.)

In short, he died a cleric and came back a cleric. At no point was he ever not a cleric.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2013-04-09 at 07:15 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    For the people comparing Haerta and V's bodycount, where was it written that Haerta was from OotSWorld?

For all we know, and in fact I presume this is the case, Haerta was on another prime matierial plane doing all of her wickedness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wasn't Haerta Xykon's old girlfriend from SoD? The one that worked for the same Evil Overlord than Xykon?
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2013-04-09 at 07:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    [SPOIL]Wasn't Haerta Xykon's old girlfriend from SoD? The one that worked for the same Evil Overlord than Xykon?[/spoil]
    I believe her name was Ydranna.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Aww... I saw the Imp pop in just to throw salt in V's wound and thought... Damn... I don't care how much a person has goof'd, that is just sadistic...
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

I will have to check. The both of them look similar.

EDIT: You are right. They aren't the same character, and they don't even look similar, I just misremembered
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2013-04-09 at 07:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

HalflingRangerGuy

I know better than this, but I wonder if the anagram of Ayn Rand was intentional. (No, I know it wasn't.)

But yes, that's her name.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Tarquin is certainly planning something. What did he do before leaving the Empire?. I have thinking on this, but the only think I can imagine is calling his pals. And it does not quite fit.
    Or bringing his entire army to bear.

He is, after all, supreme dictator or whatevs.

edit: Also, possibly sent an alliance offer to Xykon.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2013-04-09 at 07:25 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

17. - Top - End - #197

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I thought it was a piscoloth:

Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, it's clearly a piscodaemon / piscoloth. It looks more like the 1st edition Monster Manual 2 illustration:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by jere7my; 2013-04-09 at 07:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nogall View Post
    Some thoughts:

1) Durkon lost his accent?

2) Quarr was maybe sent by the fiends to talk V to go back to the order, so that the Linear Guild wouldn't win right away...?
    1) I think Durkon will not have his accent back until Malack free him.

"You will feel more like yourself once I release you from my thrall"

2) Yeah, probably that.
    Last edited by Living Oxymoron; 2013-04-09 at 08:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

RE: "Worst mass murderer in history"

I can't help but feel you folks are overlooking a way that phrase might be intended.

Replace "mass murderer" with "Short order cook" and see how the implication changes.

Quarr isn't saying V is a horrible murderer, he's saying V is horrible at committing murder.

20. - Top - End - #200

tongue Re: OOTS #883 - The Discussion Thread

Durkula continues to be adorable.
    Same with V.
    And, surprisingly, Malack in the first panel.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Hmmm.

I wonder if Durkon's fiend will actually help out... or maybe try to kill Nale. Its going to throw a wrench into something for sure. Durkon is a vampire but it doesn't mean that doesn't hate the team he is on. He's the White Worm's involuntary slave but that only goes so far. Interesting that he has a red aura now. Evil Dwarfs are always underestimated.

The imp is going to tip the Linear Guilds hand I bet. He (It) wants there to be fighting and war its not on the Linear Guilds side either. I hope that the fiends don't cash the check on V's soul anytime soon.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Qarr saying "his" in reference to Vaarsuvius is even funnier when you remember that he's called Vaarsuvius "her" before.

And hey, another strip where Qarr calls Vaarsuvius "her" (while Vaarsuvius is trying to invisibly escape from Xykon), and then this one where he says "I'm not here to hurt your master. I'm here to keep an eye on him. Or her. Whatever." I'm thinking Qarr just spouts pronouns at random when it comes to Vaarsuvius...
    Last edited by chorpler; 2013-04-09 at 08:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203

So, ah, anyone else realize that Durkon is prophesied to return home posthumously? And he's now unDEAD? Or am I the first?

Look-I may not post much, but I needed to point this out.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tolvan View Post
    So, ah, anyone else realize that Durkon is prophesied to return home posthumously? And he's now unDEAD? Or am I the first?

Look-I may not post much, but I needed to point this out.
    Has been previously mentioned.
    !Prequel Spoiler!
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is also propheised to bring "Death and Destruction" when he does return home. (Why he was banished in the first place). Now, nergal is god of... death and destruction. Vampire Durkon might want a sponsor, and who better to ask for suggestions than dear old Malack?
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

25. - Top - End - #205

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    RE: "Worst mass murderer in history"

I can't help but feel you folks are overlooking a way that phrase might be intended.

Replace "mass murderer" with "Short order cook" and see how the implication changes.

Quarr isn't saying V is a horrible murderer, he's saying V is horrible at committing murder.
    But V's actually a pretty solid mass murderer; 1/4 of all Black Dragons plus at least a few hundred people is quite a lot. Especially doing all the killing in under six seconds.

Personally I doubt V's body-count is even as big as Redcloak's yet, not to mention the Big X, but Qarr is allowed a little artistic license in his taunts. After all, what does a guilt-ridden person want to hear less than that they are worse than the very people their Evil acts were meant to punish.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    But V's actually a pretty solid mass murderer; 1/4 of all Black Dragons plus at least a few hundred people is quite a lot. Especially doing all the killing in under six seconds.

Personally I doubt V's body-count is even as big as Redcloak's yet, not to mention the Big X, but Qarr is allowed a little artistic license in his taunts. After all, what does a guilt-ridden person want to hear less than that they are worse than the very people their Evil acts were meant to punish.
    Thats why he's a bad mass murderer. He isn't even gloating!
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

27. - Top - End - #207

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Thats why he's a bad mass murderer. He isn't even gloating!
    To be fair, Darth V did spend some time gloating to the reanimated Ancient Black Dragon's disembodied head before Disintegrating it.

Wow, did the comic get dark or what?
    Last edited by Water_Bear; 2013-04-09 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Head.

28. - Top - End - #208

SwashbucklerGuy

Whatever Qarr is doing right now, I think it will end up helping the Order (or, it's intended to). It's not really in the IFCC's stated interest to kick him (and the order) while he/she's (they're) down.

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Has been previously mentioned.
    !Prequel Spoiler!
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is also propheised to bring "Death and Destruction" when he does return home. (Why he was banished in the first place). Now, nergal is god of... death and destruction. Vampire Durkon might want a sponsor, and who better to ask for suggestions than dear old Malack?
    Ah. I rarely frequent the forum, so... Anyway, yeah, I was kinda going on that too, but I was too lazy to give the extra evidence. Anyway, makes sense. I like it!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Harbajar View Post
    I wonder just how many Channels Sabine has to flick through?
    666 Channels of course!

Edit: Rats, got beaten to that joke back on page 4.
    Last edited by Advance Strat..; 2013-04-09 at 08:13 PM.