New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Truth about Strix...

I've read some forums about the Strix & that in dungeons they would be restricted because of their wings. Also, they would need to make a fly skill in order to make a melted attack? Is this true? Ty

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Truth about Strix...

What game is this about? What is a strix, other than an owl genus (and a mythological flesh-eating owl)? Do you mean the stirge, a D&D monster? If so, they're small enough that their wings hinder them not at all.

What's a "melted attack" and a fly skill?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhynn View Post
    What game is this about? What is a strix, other than an owl genus (and a mythological flesh-eating owl)? Do you mean the stirge, a D&D monster? If so, they're small enough that their wings hinder them not at all.

What's a "melted attack" and a fly skill?
    Well, Fly is a skill in Pathfinder and and the name "Strix" does sound familiar... and a quick search of the PF SRD reveals that Strix are a race from the Advanced Races Guide. They could be owl-people (as they have wings and are nocturnal) but the description calls them "black-skinned" rather than "black-feathered" and there's no picture so it's hard to be sure.

To answer the OP:
    Strix are Medium-sized creatures and possess no special rules indicating that they need more space than any other medium sized creature.

If you are flying the you will have to make Fly checks to do things like remaining ariborne while travelling less than half your speed or to turn more than 45 degrees at a time, meaning that maneuvring in tight corridors would be veeeery tricky. But nothing should stop you from just walking down those same corridors (except pride and/or bloody-mindedness).

I'm not sure what a "melted attack" is either.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Strix also exist in Vampire: The Requiem as the spirit-like creatures that created the bloodline Julii.

It is impossible to answer this question unless a system is defined. In general yes, strix are mythological owl-creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Strix are harpy guys.

Do you use the mechanics to play the game,
    or do you use the game to play the mechanics?

My opinion on paladins

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I think the OP meant "melee", not "melted".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    I think the OP meant "melee", not "melted".
    Maybe the OP will eventually return and explain this mess... although y'all have done some good deduction so far.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Strix: PF. Sorry

Stupid auto correct. Yes melee, not melted. Apologies
    Last edited by Xander96; 2013-04-20 at 09:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

a fly check is never needed for a melee attack,and a strix can move on it's legs as easily as a human can(so even the tight corners shouldn't end up too much of an issue)
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-04-20 at 10:30 PM. Reason: fixed the typo of; eht i ght corn ersshou ldn't
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]