New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #887 - The Discussion Thread

For those confused: Just read the previous strip...

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

To those who keep mentioning Elan's Happy Ending prediction: a quote from Orson Welles:
    "If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story."
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Alright, that is absolutely TERRIFYING. Seriously, that is some scary, scary stuff right there.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is the saddest that thing I've ever seen.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Halfling in the Playground

I think we are still in Roy's head only. As the leader of the party, he really wants what his party wants for themselves. So his happy ending would be both he and his party getting everything they want.

If so, like that Mallack just shows up with Durkon, as if Belkar was lying the whole time. When he snaps out, I think we will see more Roy character growth. I think his attitude towards new Belkar will soften.

Best argument that it is shared fantasy is we don't really see what V wants, such as ultimate knowledge or reuniting w his family. Of course this could be because Roy has no idea what V would ultimately want. Maybe scribing exploding runes on Belkar's tombstone . . .

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

A well-made strip. It looks happy, yet the happiness of the strips is all the more poignant because you know it isn't really happy and they are all locked in a dream world.

It looks to me as if there are a couple of happy endings spliced together. Certainly nale shaking hands looks like an Elan-dream, not a Roy-dream.

That's a LOT of information communicated in a single panel. You could almost frame it as art.

ETA: Interestingly enough, I see a Roy happy ending (defeating Xykon) an Elan happy ending (Nale shaking hands) and a Haley happy ending (haley shooting Tsukiko/swimming in loot) but not a *Belkar* happy ending. I wonder what's going through HIS mind?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2013-05-13 at 10:04 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

7. - Top - End - #307

OldWizardGuy

So help me, Giant, if this turns out to be "and then Roy woke up from an enchantment placed on Dorukan's gate," I'm going to be furious. Not furious enough to stop reading, of course, but furious enough to.. well.. do something.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Really great update! (And probably one of my favourite strips - I really like the title, simple brilliant)

Only thing that kinda sucks are that I can't see what's going on in panel 19+20 (19 could be V+Roy+somebody, maybe even the complete Order[minus Belkar]? Btw, does panel 18 feature a rainbow behind Elan and his lollipop [if it is a lollipop]?), panels 21+ seems to be static background.

And I really like the implications of this:

1) I'm sure there will be an overall happy ending, but I like how this questions the possibly fulfilment of Elan's prophecy. (So maybe we get an happy ending without having Elan getting one?)

2) Exactly which illusions do we see? Some sort of shared one? A mix of specific ones? (As I don't think all are from the same POV, most kinda could fit with Elan, but some panels, like 7 or 9, seems a bit odd for Elans imagination.)

3) What is going on with Belkar? (I think none of the shown images are really something Belkar would envision [maybe panel 7], but why doesn't he has featured his own, and what's going to happen if you ok with dying in the illusion - or will this break the spell on him so Belkar can save the day?)

4) How much time passes until the Order gets free? 886 could have covered only a couple of minutes, but this could have covered hours or even days (potentially even longer, but anything over a few days seems kinda extreme).

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Durkon in panel 3: "Dinnae look down, dinnae look down..."
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Cat View Post
    I wonder if this counts as Elans "Happy Ending"?

I found it amusing that Tsukiko was still there in this.
    No one from OOTS knows she is dead threfore she is part of their imaginations while under the effect of the illusion.

Does the time move at different pace while "charmed"? Did OOTS spend just 10 minutes charmed and it seems like a lifetime to them? And what if it's the other way around? Can they starve do death? Why no Raise Dead for Belkar? Will they be moving in the real word or just be sitting ducks for anyone (LG) that comes by?

Again... More questions with each new strip...
    Ongoing OOTS plots (or something):
    Spoiler
    Show
    V's contract (#632)
    Plot in the main plot (#673)
    V's divorce (#679)
    Xykon's phylactery replaced (#831)
    Elan's plan for defeating his father (#836)
    Durkon turned into a vampire (#878)
    What did Tarquin do before leaving the city? (#882)

11. - Top - End - #311
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLawyer View Post
    So help me, Giant, if this turns out to be "and then Roy woke up from an enchantment placed on Dorukan's gate," I'm going to be furious.
    Why are you even thinking that might be a possibility? At what point during the life of the strip so far have you got the impression the Giant would pull a trick like that?

12. - Top - End - #312
    Spamalot in the Playground

The last few updates remind me of a trick I used in a past D&D campaign.
    Except mine had more tapioca pudding on my GM notes...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I like the idea that Belkar's fantasy is that he died instead of Durkon. Beyond that, it's clearly a combination of Roy, Elan and Haley's fantasies as opposed to any individual and I suspect the reason we don't see Belkar's is because we will either see it next page (it being a significant aspect of his character development) or we will never see it (in order to continue the masking of how deep his character development really is)
    There are a few other points that Belkar could have a hand in. His grave scene for one, since the two people he hates (jerk with sword and exploding runes elf) are leaving, while the people he's actually on alright terms with are mourning him. Also the scene where Haley/Elan and Roy/Celia are making out, since they're in the same room and both pairs have been reluctant to get hands on while anyone else was watching, on top of him being a perv we shouldn't put voyeurism past his ghost. I mean, if it's good enough for Roy's Dad...

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Incredible artwork!

I'm excited to see what comes next--how the Order will react when they get out of the illusion. Guh, they'll be in no emotional shape to fight the Linear Guild.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

This comic actually makes me feel kinda sad.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

At first I had the "what a useless filler" reaction, the illusion trap was pretty well established last strip . . . but it's so well done, with so many little character moments that I just can't stop looking at it again and again.

Overally pretty sad comic, and terrifying too as in how much time has really passed and what's happenning around the Order.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    There are a few other points that Belkar could have a hand in. His grave scene for one, since the two people he hates (jerk with sword and exploding runes elf) are leaving, while the people he's actually on alright terms with are mourning him. Also the scene where Haley/Elan and Roy/Celia are making out, since they're in the same room and both pairs have been reluctant to get hands on while anyone else was watching, on top of him being a perv we shouldn't put voyeurism past his ghost. I mean, if it's good enough for Roy's Dad...
    Yep. It's a subtle hand Belkar has in this illusion, but being dead in the illusion, the spell probably only grants such subtle hints.

It's almost certainly a shared illusion - there are bits here that simply can't be explained as an individualized illusion. Add that to the fact that this strip is one of the characters' eyes and the answer is just plain obvious.

I really look forward to Rich's commentary on this part of the story in Book 5.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Is it just me, or does Elan look more confused than upset in Belkar's Funeral scene? Maybe that's hinting at something.

I don't know, Haley is obviously comforting him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

What I find most interesting is the fact that Elan does not have his lute in any of the panels.

20. - Top - End - #320

Awesome comic, but also kinda sad.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I’m pretty certain we are now in Elan’s head. You’ll notice that Elan appears in all but four panels which is more than any of the other characters. The few he does not wouldn’t be too far of a stretch for his imagination. He would want a statue built for Roy defeating one of the most evil villains of their lifetime, he would want Roy’s father to get into heaven, he would like to see Haley’s father freed with Haley teaching Bizzok a lesson or two, and the idea of Roy and Durkon drinking it up and having a good time would be a pleasant thought for him. The last panel I can see looks like Elan is holding a bouquet of flowers. Something is in his other hand but I can’t make it out. Could it be a ring?

All these things suggest that we are peering ito Elan's head.
    Bread, blankets, and books are a lot cheaper than bullets, bombs, and bodies - Todd Tennison

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Knowing the Giant, lets watch to see how none of that comes true.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

23. - Top - End - #323

RedWizardGuy

furious Re: OOTS #887 - The Discussion Thread

Quite disappointed by Roy actually, he prefers Durkon to be alive and yet he does not care about Belkar's resurrection, even though he is still in a good shape for resurrection (not disintegrated or anything). Plus his big ego and carelessness in Belkar's funeral.
    Feel, don't think. Use your instincts.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm sorta surprised that anyone came up with the idea that every panel is part of the same person's memory. I thought it was pretty clear from the content that many panels belonged to different individuals. I guess that they could all be a joint memory, as others have suggested, though, but a lot of the panels seem pretty clearly slanted towards one person.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwind View Post
    Quite disappointed by Roy actually, he prefers Durkon to be alive and yet he does not care about Belkar's resurrection, even though he is still in a good shape for resurrection (not disintegrated or anything). Plus his big ego and carelessness in Belkar's funeral.
    He's known for months that Belkar is fated to die. Regardless of his opinion of whether or not Belkar deserves to die, I would think a Lawful Good character would be the least likely to try to subvert a prophecy.

It's also only been a few minutes since he found out Durkon was vampirized (an event which would not have occurred if not for Belkar).

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coldwind View Post
    Ok, but why? Roy freely admits that Belkar should be in jail, or dead, except that he's a high level adventurer and keeping him contained with other powerful characters and focused on other evils that are even worse is more effective than trying to imprison or execute him.

What benefit would resurrecting him achieve?

By comparison, Durkon is a long-time friend and the only other LG member of the OotS.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2013-05-13 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

27. - Top - End - #327

Beholder

Ok Giant, I was a little pissed that you were taking so long for 887, but now that I see the detail on it I totally forgive you and thank you for this great comic :)

28. - Top - End - #328
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Meh, I didn't like this strip. The end of the last one confirms it's just an illusion, so it feels kinda pointless.
    This strip has a point, it shows that the story has already got a "Happy Ending". Which means things might not end well, even for Elan.

29. - Top - End - #329

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    This comic just makes me more anxious of what is going on outside the illusion. I wonder how much time has passed. The Linear Guild is getting closer and the Order are sitting ducks. How will the Order free themselves from the illusion?
    If the LG shows up, they see the Order standing with their backs turned.

The LG mount a surprise attack, killing all of the members of the Order in an increasinging purple-hued moment of victory, followed by much backslapping and villainous self-congratulatory monologues.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Really great update! (And probably one of my favourite strips - I really like the title, simple brilliant)

Only thing that kinda sucks are that I can't see what's going on in panel 19+20 (19 could be V+Roy+somebody, maybe even the complete Order[minus Belkar]? Btw, does panel 18 feature a rainbow behind Elan and his lollipop [if it is a lollipop]?), panels 21+ seems to be static background.

And I really like the implications of this:

1) I'm sure there will be an overall happy ending, but I like how this questions the possibly fulfilment of Elan's prophecy. (So maybe we get an happy ending without having Elan getting one?)

2) Exactly which illusions do we see? Some sort of shared one? A mix of specific ones? (As I don't think all are from the same POV, most kinda could fit with Elan, but some panels, like 7 or 9, seems a bit odd for Elans imagination.)

3) What is going on with Belkar? (I think none of the shown images are really something Belkar would envision [maybe panel 7], but why doesn't he has featured his own, and what's going to happen if you ok with dying in the illusion - or will this break the spell on him so Belkar can save the day?)

4) How much time passes until the Order gets free? 886 could have covered only a couple of minutes, but this could have covered hours or even days (potentially even longer, but anything over a few days seems kinda extreme).
    Hmm..

1) This is clearly a happy ending for Elan, its even Elan focused. Elan gets 3 whole panels where he is the only PC we see and is doing things like riding dinosaurs, finding a mate for Banjo, and making up with his brother before his father. What more is necessary for a happy ending? A ball pit? (Wouldn't that huge room full of gold suffice?)

2) What's odd about Belkar's death from Elan's imagination, nor Belkar's imagination for that matter? Also Roy's statue seems quite ok with most of the orders' dreams (who wouldn't wish for Roy to get the hero treatment?). It could be a shared illusion based on the order's hopes, dreams, fears whatever, but if we are seeing a particular PC's illusion we would be seeing Elan's. The number of Elan-focused strips, and the sheer optimistic euphoria suits his imagination (I can only picture Elan daring to dream of Malack resurrecting Durkon quietly).

3) Belkar has himself suggested he isn't good for anything other than hurting people and in that panel he didn't sound like he still had the zest for it; would Belkar even respond to a raise in the unlikely event it was given?

4) As for the passage of time, probably not even hours, as we have the LG hunting for them and they have significantly more illusion-resistant (even immune) members.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2013-05-13 at 11:26 AM.