Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales: Now available in PDF format from Gumroad
Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales is now on sale in PDF format from Gumroad - with 6 never-before-collected bonus comics!
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

tongue OOTS #892 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales as a PDF e-book, available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #892 - The Discussion Thread

I'm not familiar enough with the game mechanics to speculate as to how the others broke free of the illusion so easily (would Vaarsuvius have had just as little trouble?), but Nale's genre-savvy seems to be improving from all the quality time spent with his family recently!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

I wonder how long the Linear Guild has been stuck in the illusion. Malack seems to indicate everyone but Nale escaped it pretty easily.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... I don't know if I really like this one. Elan's revelation seemed like a truly rare thing and that's what allowed him to escape such a powerful trap. But this makes it seem like it wasn't that powerful at all, since it doesn't take much to get out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

5. - Top - End - #5

Woah. Here i was - surfing the forum and then... Wow. Fast. And nice duality here.
    Last edited by Lorin; 2013-06-10 at 02:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm122 View Post
    I wonder how long the Linear Guild has been stuck in the illusion. Malack seems to indicate everyone but Nale escaped it pretty easily.
    Malack (and Durkula) are undead and thus immune to phantasms. Even if Girard is using a souped-up epic one that bypasses their racial immunity, they are both powerful clerics (good will saves, high wisdom) and vampires to boot, boosting their mental abilities further.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Looks like Nale is beginning to realize his own incompetence, if Elan not escaping is implausible enough to break his illusion.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Poor Belkar, he got tired after that little run. I wonder if he will be able to fight.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Be interesting to see if Elan's illusion fools Nale's party of spellcasters. My money's on "No" - doesn't Durkula still have True Seeing prepared?

Great strip. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Hmm... I don't know if I really like this one. Elan's revelation seemed like a truly rare thing and that's what allowed him to escape such a powerful trap. But this makes it seem like it wasn't that powerful at all, since it doesn't take much to get out of it.
    Nah; you have to read this in the context of the author–reader relationship. The protagonists' overcoming this obstacle was depicted in detail and with drama, but now the antagonists have to do exactly the same thing? Boring! Play it with brevity and humor; the audience understands that there was more to it than what is seen but that it is not important or worth the time it would take to embellish, and this is implicit in the humor of the strip.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    It could be that the other three people's stimulus accelerated the process, like in "For The Man Who Has Everything".
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Something tells me that phantasm maybe wasn't Girard's last ditch after all.

Edit: I didn't expect Malack to not take this opportunity though.
    Last edited by BaronOfHell; 2013-06-10 at 02:36 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Since Girard was able to put the same spell on every door leading to that room, does that mean it isn't actually his secret boss spell?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

What I want to know, what's in the room that Girard put the phantasm for.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Looks like Nale is beginning to realize his own incompetence, if Elan not escaping is implausible enough to break his illusion.
    Alternate interpretation: he's beginning to gain genre-savvy, like brother and dad have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoris View Post
    Be interesting to see if Elan's illusion fools Nale's party of spellcasters. My money's on "No" - doesn't Durkula still have True Seeing prepared?

Great strip. Can't wait to see how this plays out.
    They don't get a save unless they interact with it though, and Durkon's spell may have worn off even if it survived his death.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by manuelj View Post
    What I want to know, what's in the room that Girard put the phantasm for.
    The obvious answer is the gate, but it could be any number of things important to Girard (like his secret stash of weapons and treasure).
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Public service announcement: something which does not have a climax is anti-climactic. Someone who hates the weather, on the other hand, might be anti-climatic.

So now you know.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by internisus View Post
    Nah; you have to read this in the context of the author–reader relationship. The protagonists' overcoming this obstacle was depicted in detail and with drama, but now the antagonists have to do exactly the same thing? Boring! Play it with brevity and humor; the audience understands that there was more to it than what is seen but that it is not important or worth the time it would take to embellish, and this is implicit in the humor of the strip.
    Seems reasonable. My first impression was that it reinforces the idea that Tarquin and Malack are still leagues beyond the Order and the Guild.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I smell the endgame for this gate. Team Evil (for real this time) teleporting into the room in 3...2...1...
    Proud White Cloak Acolyte of the Fan Club.

Neither murderous paladins nor psychotic liches shall ever extinguish the dream of Goblin Liberation. The Plan must continue.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

What interests me here is that Zz'dtri is such a loyal employee, even after Nale didn't seem to put any effort into rescuing him from the lawyers.

That, or he desperately doesn't want to be stuck alone with the vampires, even if he currently has a demon on his own payroll.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hi there. What\'cha looking down here for? ^^ The posts are above ... And the The Tome of Illsbane ...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

So Stirring gives Nale a hit of logic to get out.

...Or I'm so used to spells being used I automatically assumed Z wasn't just making a statement.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    So Stirring gives Nale a hit of logic to get out.

...Or I'm so used to spells being used I automatically assumed Z wasn't just making a statement.
    I think Z meant "Wait a minute. He's stirring." Meaning that he was coming out of it on his own (which is the joke of course), not that Z was helping him.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Z has magic resistance which would affect the illusion right?
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

And things are coming together quite nicely now.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

On another note - in your face, Roy! You said Elan didn't count as a spellcaster, and here he's quickly becoming MVP in this dungeon crawl, casting-wise! :p

Granted, this may change once Vaarsuvius manages to catch up.

Oh, dear. Vaarsuvius may have a really bad time with that rune trap. (S)he is likely to bust through, no problem, but would have to abandon a wonderful dreamworld -- possibly one where all his/her sins were somehow absolved.
    Though, like Elan, (s)he might conclude that it is something to strive for and learn from. Here's hoping!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hi there. What\'cha looking down here for? ^^ The posts are above ... And the The Tome of Illsbane ...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

The comic just went up! How did you all reply already? XD

Very well done. I suppose that Durkula and Malack did get those undead immunities after all. I'm surprised that Z made his saving throw/managed to break out, though. Also, Nale's illusion is hilarious, as is the way he managed to break out of it - fitting for Elan's opposite.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Finally, staying up until 2:30 pays off. The suspense waiting for the next couple updates is gonna be brutal though. Smart move by Roy, by the way, making good use of Elan's illusions. This should at least give them a modicum of surprise and a second to plan, unless someone in the linear guild has true seeing up (and that's usually shown with a colored cone emanating from the eyes of the caster).
    Last edited by JackRackham; 2013-06-10 at 02:43 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    He does, and possibly. He also has a good will save being a wizard (though we don't know his wisdom.)

As for True Seeing in the LG, Tarquin has it from his ring even if the casters don't. Is he down there?
    Last edited by Psyren; 2013-06-10 at 02:46 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Illusions are often stymied by spell resistance, which Z has in spades.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    The comic just went up! How did you all reply already? XD
    I always check for a new one just before I go to bed. Sometimes it pays off and makes me really happy. Of course, tonight, I didn't know just how fresh it was until I came to the forum; the Giant must have posted it literally two minutes before I performed my nightly ritual! It makes me doubly happy to have the honor of the first post, especially since I'm a big fan but rarely post on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    He does, and possibly. He also has a good will save being a wizard (though we don't know his wisdom.)

As for True Seeing in the LG, Tarquin has it from his ring even if the casters don't. Is he down there?
    No, Tarquin split from the LG casters, so he isn't there to See for them.

I would speculate that V's excellent reasoning skills would make short work of the illusion, were s/he to encounter it.
    Last edited by internisus; 2013-06-10 at 02:50 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I really hope that Girard didn't make that final chamber symmetrical. Everything we've seen of Tarquin so far tells me that if there's a wall sticking out an extra 5 feet or so, he'd notice it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by internisus View Post
    That's one possibility. Another is that it's so unlikely that Nale would be allowed to monologue a plan that it even his own mind realized it must have been an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuSpud View Post
    Seems reasonable. My first impression was that it reinforces the idea that Tarquin and Malack are still leagues beyond the Order and the Guild.
    This is definitely part of it. Especially showing Malack complaining about leaving him behind. Weird that I'm suddenly hoping for Xykon to show up.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)