Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 47 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Ghostfoot's Savage Tide (OOC)

Hello hello. Welcome.

This is the "out-of character" (OOC) thread. This is for questions, comments, (friendly!) banter etc that is not "in-character". ie stuff that we talk about rather than the characters. I will try and keep all rules etc updated here so that we have somewhere to refer back to.

Party roster

Player Character Race Class(es) Gestalt Patron Deity
    Phasm Amiyah al-Hassan & Khalil the Parrot Human (Calish-ite) Wizard (Conjurer) 6 Rogue 1/ Wild Soul 1 Mystra
    razorback Tchinik Denid Human (Mulani) Bard 4/ Warblade 1/ Marshal 1 Warblade +1/ Dragon Devotee 1 Oghma
    Battlemage Zathras Soulfire & Xin the Psicrystal Tiefling Psion (Kineticist) 5 Incarnate 1 Tymora
    DrK Connaught Human (Illuskan) Binder 6 Barbarian 1/ Fighter 1 Tempus
    Cavir Loradralsornux Dragonborn raptoran Dragonfire Adept 6 Dragon Shaman 1/ Crusader 1 Bahamut
    Kelvin 360 Yamaszt Surtros Human (Tashalan) Cleric 3/ Human Paragon 2/ Squire of Legend 1 Human Paragon +1/ Cleric +1 Tymora

Alternates

Spoiler
    Show

Current Alternates
    bcool999
    BelGareth
    Svata
    Yas392
    Spoiler: Original alternates
    Show
    {table=head]Player | Character | Race | L1 Gestalt Classes
    Gem_Knight|Cygnis Iselsi|Human (Tethyrian)| Warblade//Rogue
    Kelvin360|Ansrdrim Rilynn'raenddare|Wood Elf| Fighter//Rogue
    Yas392|Haruto Isawa|Human| SoulKnife//Fighter
    Lexin|Felix Shrenan|Whisper Gnome|Rogue//Swordsage
    planswalker|Armalir Elrondor|Sun Elf|Druid//Wizard
    BelGareth|Dalquin|Water Spirit Folk|Druid//Barbarian
    Svata|Jonil|Human (Shaaran)|Bard//Swashbuckler
    Cognomen|Arahael Sharendil|Half-(moon) elf|Paladin // Sorcerer
    Cavir|Keston Tornen|Human (Chondathan)|Cloistered Cleric//Wizard
    bcool999|Azel Demarin|Human (Rashemi)|Warblade//Fighter
    [/table]

Retired player/ character roster

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Player | Character | Race | Classes| Familiar
    FyreByrd|Tel-Agion|Gold Dwarf| Cloistered Cleric//Incarnate| Soulspark
    NovaZulu|Sister Penitent Mary-Iris|Human (Tashalan)|Crusader//Cleric | none
    NPC|Sister Penitent Mary-Iris|Human (Tashalan)|Crusader//Cleric | none
    [/table]

Housekeeping

Spoiler
    Show
    1) I will make mistakes. If you think that I have made a mistake let me know so that I get it right next time. Don’t expect me to try and retrospectively fix an event that’s already occurred (unless it was significant).

2) Please try to post once every 48 hours, at least. This will keep things moving. Let the rest of us know if you’re going to be unable to post, and either I will run you as an NPC or you can nominate another player to run your character. If we don’t hear from you then I will post your actions for you. Feel free to give auto-pilot instructions if relevent (eg "Jack keeps attaching the goblin) If we haven't heard from you after 48 hours, and we have a quorum of players active & engaged (at least 4), then the others players will NPC you.

3) If we haven’t heard from you in a week, with no notice given, we’ll consider looking for a replacement.

4) Handoffs: If you have an expectation of somebody acting immediately after you, or responding to you, then please indicate so. This will stop us all waiting for each other to act. eg for a DM response, end your comments with:

=> DM

5) Initiative/ saves: Basically I will roll anything reactive such as initiative, saving throws and certain skill checks. This will speed things up. Please make sure you have your character sheet up-to-date.

Rules

Spoiler
    Show
    1) I am going to try and run this “by the rules” so we all know where we stand. There will no doubt be a bit of trial and error as we get used to this and work out how it operates best.

2) Please be careful with things like allowable actions (full actions, standard actions, etc) as per PHB pg 141

3) Make sure you have recorded any expensive material spell components

4) Action Points. You start with 5 Action points each (5 + 0.5*level, resetting each level, rounded down). You can use these to add 1d6 to any d20 roll that you make (or that I make for you) eg to-hit, saves, skill checks, ability checks etc. I will be lenient and suggest you do this in the following way:
    • you can use an action point when you make a roll
    • if using the action point was unnecessary (ie you made it anyway) you can keep the action point
    • if using the action point didn't help (eg you failed your save or attack roll) you can keep the action point

In particular I will always attempt to use an AP for you, if available, when rolling a saving throw for you.

From the SRD, You can also perform the following subset of AP uses:

• Boost Defense - use 1 AP to double the bonus gained from fighting defensively for 1 round
    • Extra attack - use 1 AP to get 1 extra attack when making a full attack
    • Spell Boost - use 1 AP to increase the Caster Level of a spell by +2,
    • Stable - use 1 AP to auto-stabilize if dying,
    • Combat Expertise - use 1 AP to double the AC bonus gained from the feat for 1 round
    • Dodge - use 1 AP to increase the AC bonus gained from the feat to +2 for the entire encounter (?)
    • Improved Critical - use 1 AP to double your critical threat range for 1 round,
    • Improved Initiative - use 1 AP to double the bonus gained from the feat for initiative check
    • Power Attack - use 1 AP to double your damage gained from the feat for 1 round
    • Spell Focus - use 1 AP to increase by 1 the bonus to save DCs from the feat for 1 round,
    • Spell Penetration - use 1 AP to double the bonus to caster level checks from the feat from +2 to +4 for the entire encounter,

And we have a few custom uses as well:

• use 1 AP to increase the Manifester Level of a power by +2
    • use 1 AP to augment a psionic power (in place of a Power Point)
    • can burn 2 or more to perform an extraordinary activity (at DM's discretion - propose something appropriate as you wish. For example you may seek for an extra standard action in order to save another party member from certain death).

We will monitor this and see how it works.

5) Level 1, and every fifth level thereafter (eg 1, 6, 11, 16, etc) is a free gestalt level for all PCs. Rules are here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...staltCharacter.

6) All 0-level spells (orisons & cantrips) are automatically known by a caster, and can be cast spontaneously. ie you still get x 0-level spells per day, but you don't need to worry about which ones to memorize.

7) Max hp for 1st level. Average for future levels.

8) Magic item crafting & XP costs. I think that we should use the L1 Transference spell detailed here to share XP costs. What do you think?

9) We will use the Giant's fix for Diplomacy.

10) Yes, the Complete Psionic nerfs stand (various powers from Expanded Psionics Handbook are watered down).

11) Psionics & magic are transparent. They interact for purposes of dispel magic etc.

12) Both psionics and magic spells that inflict typed physical damage are subject to Damage Reduction (eg if a spell or power inflicts Slashing damage then DR/bludgeoning protects against it). Any thoughts/ comments on this? It is contrary to DMG pg 292 but in line with ComPsi pg 79. Seems logical to me though.

The original recruitment & "Big Sixteen":
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    THE SAVAGE TIDE RISES!

The first savage tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

Welcome all! I'm excited to be running the Savage Tide adventure path, and I hope you are all eager to be a part of it! A few things to note before we charge into the Big 16:

• This is a play-by-post game. It will be slow, but hopefully not tedious. I would like players to be able to post regularly every 1-2 days (more if you want to). Life happens, and if you're occasionally unable to post for a while then please let the rest of us know so that we can accommodate you. It's all about manners, really.
    • Savage Tide is a published adventure path. It takes characters from level 1 to level 22 or so. I will be astounded if we make it all the way through with the same group. I'd like people to be prepared for the long haul though.
    • Given the long-term nature of the game, I'd really like to get an idea of where your characters are headed. If you could post your planned L10 and L20 class build that would be helpful to me (just an idea of classes & PrC's, don't worry about the detail). You are by no means beholden to this prospective build path, it just gives me an idea of where things might be headed.

Without further ado...

The Big 16:

Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Savage Tide adventure path adapted to Forgotten Realms

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-6 (1 confirmed, looking for 3-5 more)

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Here - GitP forums. Please post all character sheets on Myth-Weavers.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard die rolls as per PHB, plus bonus equipment as per starting region (Players Guide to Faerun)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No homebrew. Go crazy on anything else though. Variant classes and alternative class features are fine.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All official FR races from the various sourcebooks allowed & encouraged. Ask me about other legit 3.5 races, they're probably fine too. No homebrew. No lesser variants of the planetouched (ie full aasimar/ tiefling/ etc is okay). Ask about anything with a ECL/ level adjustment.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

4d6 drop lowest. Best of 2 sets (standard rules about rerolling rubbish sets, PHB pg 8). Don't like what you end up with? Go with a 25-point buy. Hope those rolls work out for you!

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Standard alignment rules, but you have to be broadly capable of being "the good guys" and working together.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Multi-classing is absolutely allowed. There are no XP penalties for multi-classing. Paladins, monks (& any others) can multi-class freely without restriction. No limit to # of classes that you can take. Alignment and other prerequisites still stand, unless you can convince me otherwise (so no paladin/ assassins).

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

All die rolls on the GitPs forums - either in the OOC forum or in spoilers in the IC forum please. I will roll initiative, saves and certain skill checks for you. Basically anything reactive I will roll in order to speed play up. You can do all of the proactive rolls for your character.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

- Level 1 (& only L1) is a free gestalt level for all PCs. Rules are here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...staltCharacter. This is to give you a bit of low-level versatility.

- All 0-level spells (orisons & cantrips) are automatically known by a caster, and can be cast spontaneously. ie you still get x 0-level spells per day, but you don't need to worry about which ones to memorize or learn. Again, this is to give you a bit of low-level versatility.

- Max hp for 1st level, average for future levels.

- Ask me about racial level adjustments and ECLs if required.

- Action points: 5+ (0.5 x level), resetting each level. Exact mechanism will be somewhere between the UA version and the Eberron version.

- No traits or flaws

- Fractional BAB & Saves

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A basic background would be nice, just for some context. Don't go OTT unless you want to. There will be plenty of time to flesh out the relevant parts as we progress.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

I anticipate mainly hack & slash/ tactical combat and role-playing. I find puzzles get a bit strained in PBP. However, this is a published adventure path, so it's got a mix of everything.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Basically you can use any official 3.5 source for generic D&D setting & Forgotten Realms (ie no Eberron or Dragon). Ask me if you want to do anything weird though. Remember that FR characters all get bonus equipment and access to special feats based on region of origin (as per Players Guide to Faerun). Please provide a reference to the source (book & page number) of any non-core features so I can easily check them out.

The Setting:

Spoiler
    Show
    Our adventure path begins in the southern city of Tashluta, capital of The Tashalar.

Common Races: Human 94% (Mostly Tashalans. A few Calish-ite , Chultan, and Shaaran slaves), lizardfolk 4% (slaves), yuan-ti 1% (undercover).
    Government: Merchant Oligarchy
    Common Religions: Primarily Savras & Talona. Also Amphisbaena the World Serpent (aka Sseth/ Set), Chauntea, Malar, Waukeen.
    Imports: Beef, wood, fruit, silver, slaves
    Exports: Wood carvings, cheese, crossbows, dyed fabric, glass, olive oil, olives, seafood, ships, spices, wine.

The Tashalar is a verdant coastal area full of bountiful vineyards, gardens and groves of olive trees. Most of the dangerous native creatures have been driven into the neighbouring Black Jungles, so the area is relatively safe. The population is extremely wary of incursions by the neighbouring yuan-ti tribes, and as a result will generally kill any snakes or snakelike creatures on sight.

Tashluta is the capital city and serves as the primary contact point for foreigners with the Chultan peninsula. It is a cosmopolitan melting pot of local olive-skinned, blacked-haired Tashlutans and foreigners. There is a lot of trade north to Calimshan. The city is quite open and friendly with foreigners, although the countryside is considerably less so. Most slaves are imported from foreign lands and work in the surrounding plantations.

The Adventure Hook:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A wizened female halfling servant approaches you with a crisp-looking envelope in her outstretched hand. Intrigued, you open it and read the enclosed note...

"Greetings, and I trust that this missive finds you in good health!

My name is Lavinia Vanderboren, and I humbly request your attendance at dinner at my estate on Festival Street and Blue Skink Lane tomorrow evening. I think that I can present you with an opportunity uniquely suited to your skills. Please inform the carrier of this letter of your response to this invitation, and I hope to be speaking to you soon!

Lavinia Vanderboren"

Player note: For this campaign to work it is essential that your character:
    1. Is willing to work in the employment of a wealthy merchant patron, and
    2. Has recently performed some notable task, or been involved in an event, that would lead said patron to seek you out and offer employment

Interest:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current roll of applicants:

{table=head]Player | Character | Race | L1 Gestalt Classes
    Gray Mage|Andrus Whiteash|Strongheart Halfling| Druid//Barbarian
    Gem_Knight|Cygnis Iselsi|Human (Tethyrian)| Warblade//Rogue
    knightfall|?|?| ?
    jaybird|?|?| ?
    chrisrawr|Shuwami|Human|Factotum//Bardic Sage
    Kymme|Ternek Thaust|Human (Tashalan)| Fighter//Warblade
    Phasm|Amiyah al-Hassan|Human (Calish-ite)| Conjurer//Rogue
    Kelvin360|Ansrdrim Rilynn'raenddare|Wood Elf| Fighter//Rogue
    Yas392|Haruto Isawa|Human| SoulKnife//Fighter
    Tantaburs|Kevan|Human (Damaran)| Monk//Barbarian
    FyreByrd|Tel-Agion|Gold Dwarf| Cloistered Cleric//Incarnate
    King Tius|Sprig Fizzlewiz|Gnome| Druid//Sorcerer
    Starcatcher|?|?| Swashbuckler//?
    Lexin|Felix Shrenan|Whisper Gnome|Rogue//Swordsage
    Guigarci|?|?|Binder//Factotum
    NobodyMuch|?|?|?
    razorback|Tchinik Denid|Human (Mulani)|Bard//Warblade
    planswalker|Armalir Elrondor|Sun Elf|Druid//Wizard
    Battlemage|Zathras Soulfire|Tiefling|Psion (Kineticist)//Fighter
    yugi24862|?|?|Sorcerer//Swordsage
    BelGareth|Dalquin|Water Spirit Folk|Druid//Barbarian
    Svata|Jonil|Human (Shaaran)|Bard//Swashbuckler
    Dromuthra|?|?|Binder//(Wiz./Sorc.)
    Cognomen|Arahael Sharendil|Half-(moon) elf|Paladin // Sorcerer
    Niwrad|Honorus Witticus|Sun Elf|Beguiler//Wizard (Conjurer)
    Avnomke|Thomas Everleaf|Human|Druid//Ranger
    Thokk_Smash|Darius Clearwater|Aasimar|Monk//Cleric
    nersxe|?|?|?
    Cavir|Keston Tornen|Human (Chondathan)|Cloistered Cleric//Wizard
    bcool999|Azel Demarin|Human (Rashemi)|Warblade//Fighter
    PureMutation|?|?|?
    DrK|Connaught|Human (Illuskan)|Binder//Barbarian
    redmane|Shem|Whisper Gnome|Illusionist//Swordsage
    [/table]

Got questions? Ask away. I'll try to respond promptly and clearly. Cheers

And the final party will be:
    {table=head]Player | Character | Race | Classes
    Gray Mage|Andrus Whiteash|Strongheart Halfling| Druid//Barbarian
    Phasm|Amiyah al-Hassan|Human (Calish-ite)| Conjurer//Rogue
    FyreByrd|Tel-Agion|Gold Dwarf| Cloistered Cleric//Incarnate
    razorback|Tchinik Denid|Human (Mulani)|Bard//Warblade
    Battlemage|Zathras Soulfire|Tiefling|Psion (Kineticist)//Fighter
    NovaZulu|Sister Penitent Mary-Iris|Human (Tashalan)|Crusader//Cleric (Tyr)
    [/table]

Anything else? Let me know & I will update this post.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-09-26 at 10:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Savage Tide (OOC)

I'll just follow this thread close just in case someone needs protecting.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2013-07-04 at 07:18 PM.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Woohoo! I hereby claim Dark Green for Amiyah. I used Royal Blue for Khalil, but if someone else wants it, PCs come before talking familiars.

EDIT: As the party wizard, I wholly approve of this transference deal. Who knows, I might actually take an item creation feat now...
    Last edited by Phasm; 2013-07-04 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Checking in. Claiming navy for speech. Happy 4th of July for those who celebrate.
    Hey, did my first homebrew class. Check it out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Checking in with Tel-Agion, he shall speak in a the beautiful colour of DarkOliveGreen.

Looking forward to this!
    Avatar(that seems to have disappeared) by Darwin

6. - Top - End - #6

Hey all! Zathras will speak in Dark Red if that is ok. Xin the tiny crystal dragon will (telepathically) speak in SlateGray. I will note telepathic communication with a ~ symbol, unless there is already a different convention for it that would be better.

Edit: As a subquestion to rule 12, do items created by magic/psionics (like the shard created by the Crystal Shard power or the blades from Blade Barrier count as magic in regards to DR x/magic?
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-07-05 at 10:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

I use Rich's diplomacy fix for the games I run here and, even though it probably affects my character the most, I'm behind it.
    Rule #12 is similar to the game I run IRL and dig it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hihi

SP Mary-Iris claiming Gray for speech.

Happy with all the rules above.

I'll post a table for Crusader Granted Maneuvers in a spoiler during combat. Will see how that works out.

Looking forward to gaming with you guys.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hi all. Ghostfoot mentioned I was being drafted in

I'll claim yellowgreen

I'll get a post up this evening. A fun day of warhammer awaits me today!
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Thanks for inviting me into the game
    Thanks for joining, and that goes to everyone else as well. It looks like we're all here now. I should have a "mega-post" up in the next few hours to get us moving.

Have fun!
    GF

11. - Top - End - #11

Thanks for having us.

Sense Motive on Ms. Vanderboren.
    (1d20+5)[10](15)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure you can use Sense Motive untrained, so let's see if the dice gods are good to me.

(1d20)[14]

13. - Top - End - #13

Also trying my luck though I'm not expecting anything. Good job me for forgetting to shape Truthseeker Goggles and Silvertongue Mask for a social situation.

Sense Motive Zathras: (1d20)[6]
    Sense Motive Xin: (1d20)[17]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

A quick note on your "familiars" and communication:
    • Phasm, as I understand it Khalil sadly doesn't get to speak meaningfully until Amiyah hits level 5 (even then it's only able to talk with her). I'm happy for there to be a bit of inane parrot-banter, just bear in mind it's Int 6 and for game purposes can't speak yet [Edit: I''m wrong. Khalil, as a "raven", can actually speak]. There does exist an empathic (emotional) link.
    • Tel-Agion's soulspark similarly communicates via empathic (emotional) link. Also has only 6 Int.
    • Zathras' psicrystal can communicate more effectively via telepathic link. It's still limited by it's 6 Int.

I figure it's best to get that nailed now - they will all get more useful and communicative as you progress, and will gain intelligence. But for starters they're kinda limited.
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-07-18 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Correcting for: Raven has speech special ability

15. - Top - End - #15

6 int is still in human range though, pretty stupid, but still capable of rational thinking. I plan to play Xin comparable to a child at his current int if that is ok, and ramping it up as he gains int points.

I also forgot, Zathras is using Detect Evil on the group and Lady Vanderboren.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

A quick note on your "familiars" and communication:
    [LIST][*]Phasm, as I understand it Khalil sadly doesn't get to speak meaningfully until Amiyah hits level 5 (even then it's only able to talk with her). I'm happy for there to be a bit of inane parrot-banter, just bear in mind it's Int 6 and for game purposes can't speak yet. There does exist an empathic (emotional) link.
    With most familiars this is the case, but ravens (which Khalil is, stats-wise) can speak one language at 1st level. He's still not very smart by humanoid standards, which I've tried to portray, but he can speak Common within the limits of Int 6.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Battlemage View Post
    6 int is still in human range though, pretty stupid, but still capable of rational thinking. I plan to play Xin comparable to a child at his current int if that is ok, and ramping it up as he gains int points.
    Yeah that sounds right to me - basically a child evolving into an adult as you level.

Quote Originally Posted by Phasm View Post
    With most familiars this is the case, but ravens (which Khalil is, stats-wise) can speak one language at 1st level. He's still not very smart by humanoid standards, which I've tried to portray, but he can speak Common within the limits of Int 6.
    Well you're dead right there. Sorry, I thought I had checked. As you were...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

As a subquestion to rule 12, do items created by magic/psionics (like the shard created by the Crystal Shard power or the blades from Blade Barrier count as magic in regards to DR x/magic?
    My gut reaction is yes, they do count as magic. Although they don't have a "+1 bonus", they are still inherently created by magic and should be just as effective as say magic missile vs a creature with resistance to normal weapons.

I had some additional questions regarding the psionics/magic transparency, specifically if the transparency also extends to skills (I'd assume yes but assuming is always risky). Can I apply Psicraft and Knowledge (Psionics) to arcane effects and the other way around of course? Use Psionic Device = Use Magic Device?
    From my reading of XPH I would actually say the intention is no, the skills don't substitute for each other. The effect of the powers/ spells interact and effect each other, but the source is different. It seems there are a number of ways that different people approach this - I'm happy to work with you on something that is going to be balanced. I presume you're worried about blowing a whole bunch of skill points on useless psionic skills?

Edit: Next Steps:

I'll just wait another 12 hours for any more questions that you may have. From there, I presume that you will head down to the docks. I will need confirmation of:
    • Do you head off now (nighttime), or wait for daytime (or another time)?
    • Do you want to perform any prep first?
    • Anything else?

It's hard to co-ordinate with 6, so maybe if you could each confirm in the OOC once you're good-to-go (I'm open to better ways of doing this).

Cheers
    GF
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2013-07-09 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Formatting

19. - Top - End - #19

I'm ok with this. It's hard to get the little 'head nods' over the computer that you would normally get while sitting around a table.
    Tchinik doesn't need any prep time and I would suggest going down during the day to see what can be seen, maybe pose as someone booking passage or looking for work.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

I'll just wait another 12 hours for any more questions that you may have. From there, I presume that you will head down to the docks. I will need confirmation of:
    • Anything else?

It's hard to co-ordinate with 6, so maybe if you could each confirm in the OOC once you're good-to-go (I'm open to better ways of doing this).

Cheers
    GF
    Co-ordinating OOC is a good idea!

I'm happy to head off now if wished, however it'd probably make more sense to go tomorrow morning. If we're going tomorrow Tel-Agion would want to meet late enough in the morning, so that he has had time to prep spells, as well as renew melds

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I'm all for going straight thete. But will side with majority if they want to wait a day. I think my IC posts had assumed it was currently day time. Ill change if I was wrong.

22. - Top - End - #22

From my reading of XPH I would actually say the intention is no, the skills don't substitute for each other. The effect of the powers/ spells interact and effect each other, but the source is different. It seems there are a number of ways that different people approach this - I'm happy to work with you on something that is going to be balanced. I presume you're worried about blowing a whole bunch of skill points on useless psionic skills?
    Yeah it's mostly about the fact that in all games of 3.5 I've played (which admittedly isn't much) I've almost never seen opportunities to roll Knowledge (Psionics) and Psicraft. It's not a huge deal but having the skills be useful would be nice.

• Anything else?

I'd say we have a look at the harbor and figure out a specific plan from there. Zathras has no special preparations. Don't really care if we go now or in the morning.
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2013-07-09 at 07:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Proposed party order for discussion.

Open:
    |C |SP M-I|T-A|
    | | | |
    |TD|A a-H |Z |

10 foot
    |C |SP M-I|
    | |T-D |
    |A a-H| |
    |T-A |Z |

5 foot
    |SP M-I|
    |C |
    | |
    |TD |
    |A a-H |
    |Z |
    |T-A |
    Last edited by NovaZulu; 2013-07-10 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Updated with feedback, T-A to the back and TD further forward in 10 and 5ft configurations

24. - Top - End - #24

I would suggest putting Tchinik in the second line as he has the Longspear and can attack over the first line, which would lead me to lean towards the "open" version.

25. - Top - End - #25

I'm fine with whatever, I'd just suggest to keep one of the tougher characters (so anybody except Amiyah and Zathras for the moment) in the back since not every dangerous situation is in front of the group. After the battle begins repositioning shouldn't be the problem, so any formation is only important for the surprise round / first round anyway.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to wait for morning. Right now Color Spray is in one of my three 1st-level slots, and something like that is very hard to use effectively in tight quarters with five friendlies. In the first post, I believe Ghostfoot stated that the sun was setting and most of us don't have darkvision or even low-light vision.

The marching order looks good to me, NovaZulu. Keep in mind that Amiyah has Trapfinding, so if we think traps are a strong possibility, she might need to go in front. (Unless one of the heavily armored folk wants to volunteer for the Nodwick method of trapfinding. )
    Last edited by Phasm; 2013-07-09 at 01:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Waiting till the next day sounds good to me then. I'll choose a different vestige as well

In the Morning (If we get there Dahlver-Nev)
    Binding Check: (1d20+4)[24] DC 17
    Sign: Several small teeth under the hair of my scalp
    Influence: Distractible, struggle with concentration based tasks
    Abilities:-
    Immune wisdom damage/drain, madness, confusion, insanity
    Maddening moan 30ft DC14 Will or be dazed 1 round (1/5rounds)
    Natural Armour +1
    Shield Self (10ft range) Will DC14 to resist

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

whoops sword-sage'd the dm!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Where would the party have agreed to meet up, Lavinia's house or the pier? I vote for the pier, quicker that way.

EDIT: Derp, Mary-Iris already said the pier. Don't mind me, haven't had my coffee yet...
    Last edited by Phasm; 2013-07-10 at 09:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Connaught and Dhalver-Nev are ready to rock.

Nicely done on the quick summary of the research. Better than spending 5 days going round the docks and making a few gather info checks when you knew nothing major would come of it.