New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Post Shards - A Homebrew System of my own design

Introduction
    This is a project that I've been working on for a while now and I've come about as far with it as I feel that I can without more outside input, thus posting it here. As for what it actually is, it is an RPG system that I have essentially built from the ground up. Instead of quoting vague concepts that I'm going to talk about later anyway, here's some of the things that it offers:

• Area-Based Movement
    • Everyone-at-once turn taking
    • Micro-Class-based Character Advantage
    • Streamlined monsters for easier GM use
    • Wounds
    • More than 1 kind of Dwarf

As you can see, it is a pretty extensive process. As for what I'm looking for here, that's is simple. Criticism on the mechanics so that I can tune them to be as good as possible and Balance because balancing everything is just plain impossible on my own.

Links
    Shards RPG - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UQ-VgKVE6hnWxjN2KWXJ3MU-_oeLZks0q1rtodzrBhU/
    Google Drive Folder - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6aYBDizVfY2SHpUUVRPX3ZyRUE&usp=dri ve_web

Design Goals
    Online Play - Shards is made to play well online, particularly in a forum environment such as this one! This means that encounters should progress quickly, that turn order should be as simple as possible and that rerolling dice should be strictly avoided.

Community Content - I want it to be extremely easy for anyone to expand upon the core system. Whether adding new Classettes or making entirely new mechanics, I want Shards to be easy for anyone to add content and, eventually, to retrieve content that others have created.

"Unique" Mechanics
    Classettes - This is my version of Classes. As I said above it is essentially a Micro-Class. You have several at once that you can rank up in whichever order you wish. It's a system that makes it very easy to add new Classes, as each Classette requires a relatively small investment to make. However, it also has provides a huge degree of customization because you have more than one.

Area-Movement - I wanted something to keep track of where people are, but didn't want to deal with exact distances. This is the result! Areas are however large they need to be for the scene. An area holds as many people as it needs to hold, and things like range and movement are measured by how many areas you can move between in a turn.

Turn-Order - There is no turn order! Everyone moves at once, then everyone hits people with sticks at once.
    Guess who, it's Kaosubaloo!
    Shards RPG: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...s0q1rtodzrBhU/

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shards - A Homebrew System of my own design

Looks interesting.
    When you explain how to distribute points on attributes you say 8 is the optimal number, then in the example it says you can distribute 7 points in the following ways followed by some examples of 8 points. I am guessing it should be 8 instead of 7 and it is just a missclick.

Edit:
    Looking at the classetes you might want to change some of the descriptions on some of the classetes. Enchantment and Hemomance in particular, but i would also change all the ones that refering to classes and stuff from other games (Shapeshifter, Vis and so on.)
    Last edited by Ninjaman; 2014-05-10 at 02:57 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature